Emotional reaction to a song

ClimateSanity

I have been listening to iheart radio for six months now. It has introduced me to songs I normally would never hear on the radio. One such song was sound of silence redone by "disturbed". I have heard the original sound of silence many times over the years and was always impressed with it but I never got an overwhelming emotional reaction to it. I have recently gone through tumultuous times regarding who I am and what has become of my life and where I wanted the rest of my life to go. A few months ago, my life changed immeasurably for the better IMO although many of my family thought it was anything but positive.

Something about disturbed voice and energy in his cover of this song and my own personal that I have attached to it have worked together to render me sobbing uncontrollably but not because I am sad. Rather, it is release from pent-up frustration and the long awaited wisdom I have sought.

Does anyone get an emotional reaction from this song, or is it something related strictly to my personal experience?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I've never heard this before, and I really liked it. Thanks for posting. That you found a deep connection with it - I'm glad for you. That you find yourself in a better place these days - I'm glad for that too.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have been listening to iheart radio for six months now. It has introduced me to songs I normally would never hear on the radio. One such song was sound of silence redone by "disturbed". I have heard the original sound of silence many times over the years and was always impressed with it but I never got an overwhelming emotional reaction to it. I have recently gone through tumultuous times regarding who I am and what has become of my life and where I wanted the rest of my life to go. A few months ago, my life changed immeasurably for the better IMO although many of my family thought it was anything but positive.

Disturbed does nothing for me. Nobody compares to Simon & Garfunkel
Something about disturbed voice and energy in his cover of this song and my own personal that I have attached to it have worked together to render me sobbing uncontrollably but not because I am sad. Rather, it is release from pent-up frustration and the long awaited wisdom I have sought.

Does anyone get an emotional reaction from this song, or is it something related strictly to my personal experience?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

But their version does for him. Music is art and message and story and sound and words and reaches each of us in different ways... just trying to explain it, I feel like I take away some of the magic of it.

Here's a cover I posted last year, and while I still like the original, this one took first place in my heart because it reached me where I was at that time. It spoke things for me that I can't talk about.

Nouela - The Sound of Silence

ClimateSanity

But their version does for him. Music is art and message and story and sound and words and reaches each of us in different ways... just trying to explain it, I feel like I take away some of the magic of it.

Here's a cover I posted last year, and while I still like the original, this one took first place in my heart because it reached me where I was at that time.

Thanks for your kind words and a seeming understanding of where I am coming from. So, that particular cover had a personal meaning for you. This is what I was talking about. Perhaps other people could bring up other covers that personally affected them.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've never heard this before, and I really liked it. Thanks for posting. That you found a deep connection with it - I'm glad for you. That you find yourself in a better place these days - I'm glad for that too.

Same here ... and this is coming from someone who has always loved the original version. There is a deep and emotional quality to this version.