ECT God's Grace . . . . Unmerited, you say?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Where from the scriptures are we taught that? I am using the KJV when asking this.

For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8 KJV)​

We are saved by grace (which is God's gift) not by what we do.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It is what grace means in the context....why do wish to be thought of as one who merits God's favour?

Cross Reference

For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8 KJV)​

We are saved by grace (which is God's gift) not by what we do.

Salvation is the gift. Perhaps you don't believe that? It is by grace that it is given . . . . YOUR faith exercised to receive it is the key that unlocks the door.. Surely you can't deny that, can you?

genuineoriginal

Salvation is the gift. Perhaps you don't believe that? It is by grace that it is given . . . . YOUR faith exercised to receive it is the key that unlocks the door.. Surely you can't deny that, can you?

Many Christians are taught that the "Grace Gospel" of modern times means that you must believe in order to be saved, but you are damned if you show any faith by your works.

Cross Reference

Many Christians are taught that the "Grace Gospel" of modern times means that you must believe in order to be saved, but you are damned if you show any faith by your works.

Yes! One is viewed as a "Holier then thou" if they do or if such doers don't mention Jesus' name then it becomes simply a "He's a good person" thing. Such accusers are "church people".

Bradley D

The word "unmerited" is not in the Bible. However, the "humility" is.

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom" (James 3:13).

Unmerited means not deserved.

"Who has saved us and called us to a holy life – not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time" (2 Tim. 1:9).

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where from the scriptures are we taught that? I am using the KJV when asking this.

So you get the answer elsewhere and yet you just start another thread on the same topic? I guess starting over 190 threads just means to be redundant and never maintaining those threads until they have run their course. Sigh.

Also from that same thread:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4620377#post4620377

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4620034#post4620034

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There have been no answers.

Then why start yet another thread?

Just get on with it and tell everyone the answer and declare that no other answer is reasonably possible. We await your infallible wisdom. :AMR:

AMR

nikolai_42

That all depends on how you define "Grace" and "Unmerited". For my part, this passage pretty much seals the deal :

And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Luke 18:9-14

And maybe a phrase that comes closer to "unmerited" will be of more help :

And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him,
And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented.
And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.
The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.
For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

Matthew 8:5-13

And before you say he had great faith...where does that attach to the man himself? Rather, it attaches to his confession (which Jesus recognized as true). No merit here.

And note those who are in the kingdom of heaven in that passage. Was John the Baptist worthy to be in the kingdom? What did Jesus say?

For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Matthew 11:10-11

Did John merit anything? He was greater than any man born of woman...right?

Closing with the point of another parable regarding worth...

I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

Luke 15:18-24

Did the son deserve these things? His position?

Interestingly enough, the brother's attitude was more akin to one worried about what was deserved. By comparison, there's no way his wayward brother merited anything but scorn...

DAN P

What, no-one can find it in the scriptures? "unmerited favor": where is it?

Hi and look at G5485 in Strong's and see how GRACE / CHARIS is used !!

It is a transliterated word and has many meaning ;

#1 , Grace 130 times

#2 , Favor , 6 times

#3 , Thanks 4 times

#4 , Pleasure , 7 times

#5 , Benifit

#6 , Gift

#7 Thanksworthy and many more !

Unmerited , can also be translated by Undeserving , get a grip and this is why no one should be KJV-ONLY !!:chuckle::chuckle:

dan p

Last edited: