Does Calvinism Make God Unjust?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Why were the Elect DESERVING of being chosen by God before the foundation of the world, if, by your own belief system, God just chose them according to His sovereign will? Please provide Scripture to back up your belief.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I am hoping he was speaking infelicitously and will see how what he wrote can be misunderstood. Watch this space. ;)

AMR

I really like you and respect you AMR. Please don't give him any coaxing. We need to choose our words wisely, to begin with. Trying to give him help isn't really helpful in this case. I say this with due respect.

Rosenritter

Okay, since people want to speak so falsely then perhaps they could answer a simple question.

Why would GOD sacrifice himself to appease himself? How does that fit within the gospel message? And how does that not totally leave man and their direction totally out of the equation?

So GOD sent himself to be sacrificed to himself to please himself so that man could simply go about sinning as if they were still dead in sin. Got it.

Very simple, obvious, and true. How could anyone deny it!?

Get your head out of your butt.

If Christ is, was, and always will be the utter fullness of GOD then the above statements are true.

Show my error please.

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Your first error is that you don't realize the meaning of forgiveness. Forgiveness, is at its essence, a sacrifice. When I forgive someone I am sacrificing something of myself, my right to justice, or retribution, or right for restitution, and absorbing that damage and letting the conflict end there. Christ's sacrifice is the message of God's willingness to forgive.

Your second error is that your question contains a flawed assumption. The Bible never says that Jesus was sacrificed to appease God. But among other things, it does says that Jesus was sacrificed so that if he were lifted up, that he might draw all men to him.

Your third error is a descent into crude language. Let's forgive that?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I make it a habit of praying before I post on TOL. I ask God to show me what to say and not say. I'm not saying everything I say comes from God. I merely ask for His guidance. Sometimes I've begun to post something and something inside tells me "Don't post that." And, I don't.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Judging by the passing of time, I would suggest that Crucible is asking for help on his answers or looking up commentaries or his church's doctrines? He may even have asked for help from some of the other Calvinists on TOL. Perhaps, the Cavalry will come to his aid?

Rosenritter

The questions in and of themselves are flawed, because the elect are whom God foreknew merited salvation.

Such questions show nothing more than an utterly arbitrary opposition to Calvinism, because they make it very apparent that the person asking has never given any real thought about it.

Answer the questions.

1. According to your doctrine, can the elect choose damnation?
2. Or can the elect earn damnation and receive the punishment of sin?

As a reminder, this is in response to post 3298, where it had been stated,

2) The elect have no choice to be saved. It doesn't matter if this person is a mass murderer or even believes in god

And you replied,
That's is laughably false- why don't you go and learn some Calvinism instead of making up bald accusations

So answer the questions and let's see if the elect have a choice of whether to be saved or not.

Last edited:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Cruc, if humanity is all considered unworthy (By Calvinists way of looking at the subject) then, how could God see SOME as WORTHY of Salvation, instead of basically choosing a number of human beings by His sovereignty alone?

It's relative to those after the fact of the Crucifixion in contrast to the wicked. But even before Christ, the elect were placed in Abraham's Bosom, so while human will is depraved, they were predestined to be worthy.

The whole "we don't deserve salvation" that the contemporary, more Puritan brand constantly spams is misleading.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Rev.chs 4 and 5 prove you wrong.

as does Heb.ch s 1 and 2.

You are reading something into the text which is not there.

LA

Isaiah tells us that God Himself created the universe. He did not use an agent and Jesus was NOT created, He is the Creator. To deny this is simply to deny the word of God and to worship the wrong Jesus. You don't get to make up your own religion and still call yourself a Christian. You might as well go join the Mormons or Jehova Witnesses.

Reading the verses speak for themselves.

You are using a view from outside of the Bible to misinterpret the Bible.

LA

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
so while human will is depraved, they were predestined to be worthy.

So, you're basically saying a certain group of "Elect" was chosen to be worthy. Why were they chosen to be more worthy than, any other beings? Merit still had to be a part of the situation. Did God just say: "This person is worthy and that person isn't?" Was it just a toss of the coin sort of deal? If all are depraved, how are some chosen to be less depraved than another?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
If all of humanity are equally DEPRAVED how are some of those DEPRAVED made acceptable? There has to be some reason why they are acceptable over those others? God didn't just say: "I'll make these people worthy and those people unworthy for no reason." Please show Scripture, not just opinion.

popsthebuilder

The common error in theological thinking is failing to take into account that God cannot justify evil. Contemporary Christian sects are especially guilty of this in not acknowledging the dogmas of historical Christianity, which were deduced with such acknowledgement.

If God justified evil, then He would contradict His very nature as God. Therefore, a perfect atonement had to be made.
But thereafter is where people abandon that truth, and instead go on to 'easy believism' and perpetuate a very skewed notion of 'OSAS'- which does not mean in any sense what most people think it means. 'Perseverance of the Saints', or, the P in Calvin's TULIP, is OSAS.
That explained no thing what so ever.

I was not speaking against or for osas.

Peace

JAGG

Regarding The Number Of Calvinism's Elect

Regarding The Number Of Calvinism's Elect

The Calvinistic Theological System will allow the number of the elect to be the vast overwhelming majority of the human race, according to two of America's most respected and prominent Calvinist theologians, the late doctors Loraine Boettner and William G.T.Shedd:

Says Dr. Boettner:

"When the doctrine of Election is mentioned many people immediately assume that this means that the great majority of mankind will be lost.

But why should any one draw that conclusion?

God is free in election to choose as many as I He pleases, and we believe that He who is infinitely merciful and benevolent and holy will elect the great majority to life.

There is no good reason why He should be limited to only a few.

We are told that Christ is to have the preeminence in all things, and we do not believe that the Devil will be permitted to emerge victor even in numbers.

Our position in this respect has been very ably stated by Dr. W. G. T. Shedd in the following words:

"Let it be noticed that the question, how many are elected and how many are reprobated, has nothing to do with the question whether God may either elect or reprobate sinners. If it is intrinsically right for Him either to elect or not to elect, either to save or not to save free moral agents who by their own fault have plunged themselves into sin and ruin, numbers are of no account in establishing the rightness. And if it is intrinsically wrong, numbers are of no account in establisbing wrongness.

Neither is there any necessity that the number of the elect should be small, and that of the nonelect great; or the converse.

The election and the non-election, and also the numbers of the elect and the non-elect, are all alike a matter of sovereignty and optional decision.

At the same time it relieves the solemnity and awfulness which overhangs the decree of reprobation, to remember that the Scriptures teach that the number of the elect is much greater than that of the non-elect.

The kingdom of the Redeemer in this fallen world is always described as far greater and grander than that of Satan.

The operation of grace on earth is uniformly represented as mightier than that of sin. 'Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.'

And the final number of the redeemed is said to be a 'number which no man can number,' but that of the lost is not so magnified and emphasized.

There is, however, a very common practice among Arminian writers to represent Calvinists as tending to consign to everlasting misery a large portion of the human race whom they would admit to the enjoyment of heaven.

It is a mere caricature of Calvinism to represent it as based on the principle that the saved will be a mere handful, or only a few brands plucked from the burning.

When the Calvinist insists upon the doctrine of Election, his emphasis is upon the fact that God deals personally with each individual soul instead of dealing merely with mankind in the mass; and this is a thing altogether apart from the relative proportion which shall exist between the saved and the lost.

In answer to those who are inclined to say, "According to this doctrine God alone can save the soul; there will be few saved," we can reply that they might as well reason, "Since God alone can create stars, there can be but few stars." The objection is not well taken.

The doctrine of Election taken in itself tells us nothing about what the ultimate ratio shall be. The only limit set is that not all will be saved.

So far as the principles of sovereignty and personal election are concerned there is no reason why a Calvinist might not hold that all men will finally be saved; and some Calvinists have actually held this view. "Calvinism," wrote W. P. Patterson, of the University of Edinburgh, "is the only system which contains principles—in its doctrines of election and irresistible grace—that could make credible a theory of universal salvation."

And Dr. S. G. Craig, Editor of CHRISTIANITY TODAY, and one of the outstanding men in the Presbyterian Church at the present time, says: "No doubt many Calvinists, like many not Calvinists, have, in obedience to the supposed teachings of the Scriptures, held that few will be saved, but there is no good reason why Calvinists may not believe that the saved will ultimately embrace the immensely greater portion of the human race.

At any rate, our leading theologians—Charles Hodge, Robert L. Dabney, W. G. T. Shedd, and B. B. Warfield—have so held."

As stated by Patterson, Calvinism, with its emphasis on the intimate personal relation between God and each individual soul, is the only system which would offer a logical basis for universalism if that view were not contradicted by the Scriptures."

Source: Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination, section titled Unconditional Election, pages 130-131

"At any rate, our leading theologians—Charles Hodge, Robert L. Dabney, W. G. T. Shedd, and B. B. Warfield—have so held." [Add Loraine Boettner and Dr. S. G. Craig to that list.]

And THAT list of Calvinists up there is about as Calvinistic as you can get.

Link: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/boettner/predest.iv.iii.vii.html

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The Presbyterian Church is going the same route as the Anglicans, it seems. They've slowly become ambiguous in their notions concerning many things, particularly with homosexuality and male clerical leadership.

So why should I be surprised that, being a reformed church as it may, is still falling to the same errors?

Calvinism does not undo the simple truth that that few are chosen- the Bible comes out and outright declares it, and I don't think John Calvin would disagree.
I call 'revision' on the presbyters :plain:

popsthebuilder

Assuming I have read you correctly, you reveal your denial of the Triune Godhead while resorting to crass declarations in the process. Sigh.

God is a trinity of persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son; the Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the same person as Father. They are separate persons; yet, they are all the one God. They are in absolute perfect harmony consisting of one substance. They are co-eternal, co-equal, and co-powerful. If any one of the three were removed, there would be no God.

Furthermore, God is not one person, the Father, with Jesus as a creation and the Holy Spirit as a force (Arians, Jehovah's Witnesses). Neither is God one person who took three consecutive forms, i.e., the Father who became the Son who then became the Holy Spirit (United Pentecostal). Nor is the Trinity an office held by three separate Gods (Mormonism).

The duality of Christ's nature, fully human and fully divine, cannot be wholly and definitively answered. If we could, we would possess divine minds ourselves. We can confidently state from Scripture that there are three persons in the Godhead, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one true, eternal God, the same in substance that is partaken of wholly by each of the persons, equal in power and glory; although distinguished by their personal properties.

Christendom declares the One God who eternally exists in three different persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, all of whom are fully God, all of whom are equal. To deny this is to place oneself beyond the bounds of what being a Christian means.

AMR
You say that we can confidently state from scripture the three people of the Godhead.

I ask you to kindly do that now please sir.

Thank you.

Peace

popsthebuilder

Rosenritter,

Firstly, I generally enjoy reading your posts. Your leveled head and concise points are very welcome, always.

On your third point; the crude language is needed to show the faulty logic unfortunately, unless you were speaking of my use of the word "butt". In which case, it could have definitely been worded differently.

On your first assumption you claim I don't understand how forgiveness is a sacrifice of one's own want for justice, revenge, retribution, or whatever else one may feel entitled to. However, as stated; this is an assumption. Not only am I quite aware that what you stated is true, but I generally understand it and use it in daily life, consciously.

I have no qualms with the self sacrifice of the Christ being for the sake of others. I have no problem understanding that GOD is a merciful, long-suffering, forgiving GOD.

Your second point states that I myself make a flawed assumption in that GOD sacrificed himself to appease himself. But who's will was the Christ doing? It wasn't his own. So if Christ always was GOD then he sacrificed himself for his own will. I'm sorry but you cannot dance around that.

Speaking of what isn't in scripture; the trinity isn't in scripture, and if I'm not mistaken; the one reference made to the Father, son, and Holy Ghost, within scripture, is said to have been added at a later date.

The doctrine of the trinity was slowly formed by man over the span of 400 years. Pretty much all things involving what GOD allows man to know of GOD are simply obvious truths to the believer. The trinity is anything but. Not that I deny it, I just don't exactly agree with the coeternal thing and I don't believe it to be pertinent to salvation.

I look forward to your reply, and meant no disrespect whatsoever.

Peace

marhig

If you paid attention, I intentionally highlighted where the text says explicitly that BY HIM all things were created.

God created the universe for Himself and it was God the Son that the creating was done through.

There is only one God, Marhig. We are not given sufficient detail to understand the triune nature of God but we are told enough to understand that the One God exists in three persons, God the Father, God the Son & God the Holy Spirit. But the three are ONE GOD. And so your question is a non-sequitur. It could only come out of the mouth of an unbeliever.

This applies to Jesus the man, yes. There was no Jesus before Mary conceived Him in her womb by the Holy Spirit but God the Son was with God and was God in the beginning and the became flesh and took on the name, Jesus. This also was directly quoted in my post and could not be more explicitly stated by the text of John chapter 1. Why do you ignore that explicit teaching, the clearest possible, directly stated teaching of the bible? What's the point?

Amen! Thank you for finally conceding the debate!

How else am I supposed to respond to what you just said here?

I understand that you are making some sort of distinction between Jesus and God but it contrived and I think now that you know it's contrived (intuitively). I mean any child can understand that God the Son did not go by the name Jesus before He was born of a human woman but that doesn't mean that God the Son didn't exist prior to that event. The bible states in no uncertain terms that God became man and that the Logos of God both existed with God and was God in the beginning and that He made everything that was made.

Quite so.

Only a moron would need to have such a verse quoted to him. No one here is denying that Jesus was begotten of the Father.

John chapter 1

Nothing else needs to be said to refute you.

Jesus the man submitted Himself to obedience to the Father, even unto death. That does not mean that He wasn't also God. You simply desire to deny the triune nature of God.

Thank the Lord Himself that He was wise enough to have placed John chapter 1 and Colossians chapter 1 in the Bible.

I don't understand people like you. I really don't. Why do you even care to be a Christian at all if you aren't going to accept its teachings on things that are not disputable? I mean, if you wanted to dispute dispensationalism, that would be one thing, because well-meaning people of good conscience could honestly come to different conclusions concerning issues as complex as that but this is not one of those kinds of issues. The bible claims explicitly that Jesus is the incarnation He who created all things. It also undeniably teaches that there is only One Creator.

Further, Jesus' death is sufficient to pay the sin debt of the human race precisely because He is God. If Jesus is not God then His death was that of a mere man. Even if that man was sinless and perfectly innocent, His death would only have been sufficient to pay for a single other person's sin debt. One man's life is not worth that of millions or billions or even trillions of others unless that Man was God in the flesh, which Jesus was. God is just. He cannot pay for a thing with less than what it's worth. To do so would relegate the gospel to some sort of arbitrary act of God that is more sadistic than just. If God could trade the life of one mere man for the souls of all humanity then why couldn't he have traded the life of a goat for the same? The injustice would be of a kind, the difference being only a matter of degree. To deny the deity of Christ is to undermine the entire gospel as well as the very character of God Himself.
Resting in Him,
Clete

The three with the same nature I agree with, God coming in a man I agree with seeing as God was in Jesus and Jesus was dead to the flesh, not living by his will but by Gods will, and he was in the express image of God. I've never said that there was Jesus the man before Mary, the angel told Mary to call him Jesus, the fleshly Jesus was born of Mary and the Christ was in him.

What I am saying is, that Christ is subject to God, as it clearly says in the Bible

1 Corinthians 15

And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

And why would God need to come into a human body and be sacrificed for all humanity at all? Why not just forgive them all? Seeing as he's God?

Jesus sacrificed his whole life for God, he was dead long before he went in the cross, dead to this world. And by sacrificing his life and not living by his will but by God's will, he was able show us a perfect example to follow, a new and living way teaching us how to live right before the father, showing us how to forgive, love, and obey and live right to come back to God. Thus he was reconciling us God, God was in him and through him and by not living in the flesh being dead to this world, he came to bare witness to the truth, he is the way, the truth and the life, and we are saved by his life. By faith, by following him and by his life manifest in our hearts through the holy spirit!

You say it is unchristian not to believe in the trinity, yet nowhere in the Bible is it said that we must believe in this to belong to God, and it clearly says that we are to believe that Jesus is the son of God, not God the son to be saved.

Last edited: