To My friends at TOL

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
FRIENDS AT TOL

The reason I have not been on much is that, on Aug. 18th, my beloved wife of 41 years, Diane, was killed instantly in an automobile accident. She was on her way to help out, an hour from home, at a Vacation Bible School for children and was hit by a gravel truck while making a u-turn. As you can imagine it has been a very bewildering few weeks with much that has to be attended to and worked through.

I wanted to let my friends on TOL know so I have started this thread. I will likely not be on much to accept the kind words that I know you will leave but I will, at some point, be back. I now know what real hurt feels like in my heart. But, in the end, it is a good thing to know. It is slowly going away and being replaced by God's love, by a stronger desire to do God's work, by the love of my 2 believing children, and 7 grandchildren, and the support of 2 congregations who saw the love of God spilling out over the top of her cup as she reached out to others for so many years.

She suffered from mild depression off and on, mostly in the spring; but she always came back stronger than before and the verse; "...My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness." was always on her lips when she did. I have the privilege of knowing that when she faced the weakest and most vulnerable instant of her life, the Lord was strong for her and told Satan; "Not this one, this one is Mine".

I love the Lord because He took her instantly. I love the Lord because He took her cleanly, without others involved. I love the Lord because she was doing what she wanted to do; God's work. I love the Lord because she was at her strongest when she went to be with Him. I love the Lord because He is the Lord. Her life and death was one of millions of victories He is accomplishing all over this broken world.

One of the many duties she took on was to select verses for our church sign and she changed it the day before she died. I do not see the face of Jesus in every piece of burned toast. In fact, I hate the very thought of reducing God's truth to mere sentiment. But when it comes to God's Word, I make an exception because of the fact that it comes originally from Him.

Here is a picture of the church sign as she left it. Please note that it was altered only slightly to make it personal.

SignCropped.jpg

I love the Lord because when she was weakest, God was strong for her.

Blessings,
George Affleck

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lifting up prayers for you George.

Hasten the day, Lord, when the shadows will flee away, and this corruption shall put on incorruptibility, and this mortality shall put on immortality.

AMR

theophilus

Psalm 116:12 What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me?

13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.

14 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people.

15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

16 O Lord, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.

17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord.

18 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people.

19 In the courts of the Lord's house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the Lord.

May God continue to bless and keep you, George.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I am so sorry George, to hear why you have been absent and the hard times you have been suffering. I pray for the Lord to give you much comfort and peace as you deal with the unexpected shock of losing your wife. May He bless you greatly in also unexpected ways through His word, bringing to your remembrance the grace and faith He gave her, and their mutual love.

The Creator has been fully reunited with His beloved creature! Psalm 116:15

6days

Aw George... So sorry Buddy! Tears fell as I read your post.
I shared your words with my daughter who said 'we should pray for him, that the good memories of her stay sharp. God is good to us even in the most awful situations'.
Again...So sorry for your loss. I care for you my friend.