Why Believe in a god?

Tyrathca

All very interesting, including all that, plus that you used the wrong yore.
Sorry officer but I'm typing on a phone so I make a few predictive text grammar errors. Please don't write me a ticket
I'm not arguing for God's nonfictional existence. I'm saying you can't disbelief in Him, and also believe that certain things are evil.
Sure I can. Evil is a word and it doesn't necessarily have the same connotations for you as me. The dictionary certainly doesn't contain any mention of this.

If you saddle the word evil with enough hidden meanings then you might as well invent a new word rather than expect anyone to care about your attempts to commandeer it.
You're not allowed to.
"Allowed"? How do plan to stop me? Let alone why you think I shouldn't be "allowed"...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Sorry officer but I'm typing on a phone so I make a few predictive text grammar errors. Please don't write me a ticket
Sure I can. Evil is a word and it doesn't necessarily have the same connotations for you as me. The dictionary certainly doesn't contain any mention of this.

If you saddle the word evil with enough hidden meanings then you might as well invent a new word rather than expect anyone to care about your attempts to commandeer it. "Allowed"? How do plan to stop me? Let alone why you think I shouldn't be "allowed"...

If you believe that evil is nonfictional, then you MUST believe in the Maker.

I don't know why I'm not getting through to you, to my mind what I'm saying couldn't be any simpler. It's like I'm saying to you "up is not down" or "it is what it is" to you, over and over and over again, and you keep acting like you're hearing a contradiction in my words, or like I'm making some sort of logical error.

Point it out.

Tyrathca

If you believe that evil is nonfictional, then you MUST believe in the Maker.
And yet I don't. Do you see the problem in your bald unexplained statement here?

As I said, it depends on what you mean by evil. You're using the word with hidden connotations.
I don't know why I'm not getting through to you, to my mind what I'm saying couldn't be any simpler.
Repeatedly saying I'm right and you're wrong is not making things simpler. You might as well be trying to convince me the sky isn't blue by repeatedly yelling that it's green... You keep saying it but I keep looking out the window and see blue.
It's like I'm saying to you "up is not down" or "it is what it is" to you, over and over and over again, and you keep acting like you're hearing a contradiction in my words, or like I'm making some sort of logical error.

Point it out.
I have but I'll expand. The only way that you can make evil dependent on god is to alter the general definition of evil. You're using the word evil but you really mean so much more than what the dictionary says or even what most people mean when they use the word.

That or we are speeking completely different forms of English because I'm not aware of any requirements for the word evil to be definitionaly linked to deities.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
And yet I don't. Do you see the problem in your bald unexplained statement here?

As I said, it depends on what you mean by evil. You're using the word with hidden connotations.

Repeatedly saying I'm right and you're wrong is not making things simpler. You might as well be trying to convince me the sky isn't blue by repeatedly yelling that it's green... You keep saying it but I keep looking out the window and see blue.
I have but I'll expand. The only way that you can make evil dependent on god is to alter the general definition of evil. You're using the word evil but you really mean so much more than what the dictionary says or even what most people mean when they use the word.

That or we are speeking completely different forms of English because I'm not aware of any requirements for the word evil to be definitionaly linked to deities.

If God is fictional, then evil most certainly is fictional also, so how is it that for you, evil is nonfictional, but you don't believe in God?

Tyrathca

If God is fictional, then evil most certainly is fictional also, so how is it that for you, evil is nonfictional, but you don't believe in God?
You keep making this false dichotomy without explaining why the other options are impossible. So I'll just keep assuming there is some secret definition of evil you are using. I could probably guess but then I'd be putting words in your mouth, though even with those I could find work arounds.

We probably don't believe in the same evil. So do I believe in YOUR evil? Probably not, though given you seem to be using a nonstandard definition it's hard to be sure.

Hawkins

Question, and statement 1
Why should I believe in any god? We don't need an intelligent authority to explain the universe..

My question is rather why atheists are so dumb to ask stupid questions like this all the times, and to think naively that there shouldn't an answer out there.

A god is not for the explanation of the universe. A god is for an explanation outside of the universe for something might occur after your death.

You need to believe a god in one way or another simply because it's out of your human capability and it's out of the reach of your science to go outside of our 3D space to confirm the information. Belief becomes the only way for humans to get to such a possible truth.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You keep making this false dichotomy without explaining why the other options are impossible. So I'll just keep assuming there is some secret definition of evil you are using. I could probably guess but then I'd be putting words in your mouth, though even with those I could find work arounds.

We probably don't believe in the same evil. So do I believe in YOUR evil? Probably not, though given you seem to be using a nonstandard definition it's hard to be sure.

Hitler. Stalin. Child rapist/murderers. Any other clarifying questions that I can answer for you?

Tyrathca

Hitler. Stalin. Child rapist/murderers. Any other clarifying questions that I can answer for you?
That's not a definition, that is so not even close to one that I wonder if you even understand what a definition is.

How about this....
Evil (from Mirriam-Webster's Dictionary)
1) Morally reprehensible ; Arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct
2) Causing discomfort or repulsion
3) Causing harm ; marked by misfortune

Synonyms: adverse, bad, baleful
Antonyms: anodyne, benign, harmless

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
That's not a definition, that is so not even close to one that I wonder if you even understand what a definition is.

How about this....
Evil (from Mirriam-Webster's Dictionary)
1) Morally reprehensible ; Arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct
2) Causing discomfort or repulsion
3) Causing harm ; marked by misfortune

Synonyms: adverse, bad, baleful
Antonyms: anodyne, benign, harmless
Is a child rapist/murderer evil, yes or censored no.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
P.Z.Meyers is a leading promoter of the atheist belief system. He says that because you Christians are unable to answer basic questions; atheism is end result.

God's Word tells us to "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect
God's Word tells us." So..... lets see if Christians can answer P.Z.Meyers questions...

Question, and statement 1
Why should I believe in any god? We don't need an intelligent authority to explain the universe..

The universe manifests the law of cause and effect. All things seen in our world have a cause. Romans 1:18-22

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Why Believe in God!

Well, at least because we cannot explain what or who caused the universe to exist.

Those who believe in God can explain the cause of the universe . . by the effectual, material evidence of His Being made manifest to all men.

Problem is, those who will not believe God is the cause of the universe, are condemned by their unbelief.

So the next information that must be given to the atheist, is why such unbelief in the witness of God all around them, condemns that soul.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Because there is evil.

I agree with this.

Again, there is a law of cause and effect in all the world and all events, and all actions, that cannot be denied . . unless one is just plain irrational.

Evil is an effect. What is the cause?

Hawkins

I'm struggling to be as clear as can be here. Is a person who rapes and murders children evil? Is raping and murdering children evil? Yes or no. Anybody.

First, there's no raping mentioned in the Bible to be legal. As a war practice adapted by all Canaanites that the winner will take everything. For the Jews own survival, God allows them to adapt an eye for eye and tooth for tooth policy. They thus take whatever from their Canaanite enemies. As a war practice woman are taken as a human resources to give birth to labors and warriors. The Jews took only the virgins for the reason that virgins will adapt their husbands' religion, while non-virgins already adapted the religions of the Canaanites.

God has a reason to command the Jews to eradicate the Canaanites as God's priority here on earth is to save souls. We humans count lives as a physical death. However to God every human will have to die once in one way or another. God counts lives as whether the souls are savable. So the Canaanites whose souls are not savable, God will have to remove them as a whole for the Jews to survive the history to bring forward His salvation to save more human souls. If the Canaanites are allowed to live, while the Jews were outnumbered, then the Jews would have been the first to be wiped out completely.

As for children when they grow up they will kill the Jews and thus will wind up in hell. Is that what you want? If no then accept God's way of allowing them to die as children such that the judgment of Law won't apply to them.

It is after the Jews successfully settled in Canaan that God strictly ask them not to kill as one of the 10 commandments.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I'm struggling to be as clear as can be here. Is a person who rapes and murders children evil? Is raping and murdering children evil? Yes or no. Anybody.
I'll even take just a Y or N. You don't even have to spell out the whole word, I'll piece together what you mean by a Y or N.

Hawkins

I'll even take just a Y or N. You don't even have to spell out the whole word, I'll piece together what you mean by a Y or N.

First, there's no raping mentioned in the Bible to be legal. As a war practice adapted by all Canaanites that the winner will take everything. For the Jews own survival, God allows them to adapt an eye for eye and tooth for tooth policy. They thus take whatever from their Canaanite enemies. As a war practice woman are taken as a human resources to give birth to labors and warriors. The Jews took only the virgins for the reason that virgins will adapt their husbands' religion, while non-virgins already adapted the religions of the Canaanites.

God has a reason to command the Jews to eradicate the Canaanites as God's priority here on earth is to save souls. We humans count lives as a physical death. However to God every human will have to die once in one way or another. God counts lives as whether the souls are savable. So the Canaanites whose souls are not savable, God will have to remove them as a whole for the Jews to survive the history to bring forward His salvation to save more human souls. If the Canaanites are allowed to live, while the Jews were outnumbered, then the Jews would have been the first to be wiped out completely.

As for children when they grow up they will kill the Jews and thus will wind up in hell. Is that what you want? If no then accept God's way of allowing them to die as children such that the judgment of Law won't apply to them.

It is after the Jews successfully settled in Canaan that God strictly asked them not to kill as one of the 10 commandments.

Ben Masada

Those who believe in God can explain the cause of the universe . . by the effectual, material evidence of His Being made manifest to all men.

Problem is, those who will not believe God is the cause of the universe, are condemned by their unbelief.

So the next information that must be given to the atheist, is why such unbelief in the witness of God all around them, condemns that soul.

Well, let's leave the atheists to themselves for now and, you obviously believe in God as I can see. Can you give us evidences for the existence of God? I don't find your point of material evidence in God the reason why He manifests Himself to all men. There must be some way to prove God's existence without attributing material evidence to His essence.