Nuggets in God's Word

iamaberean

Reading through the Bible is wonderful and should be done, but how many will meditate on a passage to search for the nuggets?

There are many of those nuggets in the following, can you point them out?

Luk 13:23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
Luk 13:25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
Luk 13:26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
Luk 13:27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
Luk 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
Luk 13:29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.
Luk 13:30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

Truster

What exactly do you mean by the word meditate? When David used the word he had in mind a specific practice.

iamaberean

What exactly do you mean by the word meditate? When David used the word he had in mind a specific practice.

I mean take a moment to glean what you just read. There are certain rules one can use to gain understanding. We can use these rules while reading God's Word.

Truster

I mean take a moment to glean what you just read. There are certain rules one can use to gain understanding. We need to use those rules when reading God's Word.

That is not what David or Asaph meant in the 9 times they used the term meditate or the 6 times David used meditation.

It also obvious you don't understand the spiritual application of ''glean''.

Last edited:

iamaberean

That is not what David or Asaph meant in the 9 times they used the term meditate or the 6 times David used meditation.

It also obvious you don't understand the spiritual application of ''glean''.

Truster,

In order to Trust God, one needs to understand God's word. Help me to help others, don't always tear me and others down over nothing.

We could all learn a lot if we work together!

iamaberean

Let's start our understanding by finding why Jesus responded as he did.

Luk 13:22 And he went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem.
Luk 13:23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved?
Someone ask him a question. Jesus was walking toward Jerusalem, so we can assume it was a disciple or another Jew who asked the question.
And he said unto them,
He spoke to them all, not just to the one who asked the question.
Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
Strive means to make a great effort, to the Jew that would mean, strive to obey the laws of God.

So the first fact, nugget, is understanding that under the law there is work, following the strait path, but under grace there is faith. We do not earn our salvation by works.
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

iamaberean

To continue:
Luk 13:25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
When Jesus is risen, from the dead, and has now shut the door on those who lived under the law he will tell them "I know ye not." If they are going to know God now, they must believe in him.
Luk 13:26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
Luk 13:27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
They are saying, "How can this be?" for they have followed him here on earth.
The workers of iniquity are those with no faith.

Luk 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
This is about judgment day, notice they will see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and all the prophets raised from the dead and they will be thrust out.

Here are the points, judgment was to come upon the Jews that lived during the age of Law and did not believe the prophets when they spoke of the Redeemer, Jesus.

It has never been the plan of Jesus to judge Christians, because we have believed on him. So when did this judgment happen, according to the above scriptures, the day he rose from the grave.

One other point, how do we know the first resurrection was on the day Jesus was crucified.
Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
The thief says "remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom"
Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
Jesus said "Today shall thou be with me in paradise".

Can you see it? Judgment day has passed, when we pass from this world we go directly to God in his kingdom in heaven.

Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Last edited:

iamaberean

In the old testament, God brought the children out of Egypt and led them to the promise land. When God told them to go into the promise land, they sent out scouts. When the scouts returned they could not believe they would be able to possess the land. Because of their lack of faith, they wondered in the wilderness for 40 years and they did not enter into the promise land.

When Jesus came to earth he lead the children of Israel to the new promise land, the New Covenant. When it became time to enter into this New Covenant, at the time of his crucifixion, those that would not believe wondered in the wilderness, Old Covenant, for 40 years. Then the temple and Jerusalem were destroyed 40 years after the crucifixion and those unbelievers that had survived to that point were scattered around the world and would not enter into the promise land.

iamaberean

Mat 13:24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
Abraham begot Isaac, the good seed.
Mat 13:25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
The enemies of God are those of the 'flesh'.
Mat 13:26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
Eventually the tare showed itself in Esau, for he was the first one who only thought of his flesh.
Mat 13:27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
The Angels asked God where and how did those of Abraham's seed become fleshly?
Mat 13:28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
God answered, "Not everyone that comes is of faith, but many are of the flesh".
Mat 13:29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
God also says "Let them grow together, else we will root up the good with the bad".
Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
God adds, "At the time of harvest the reapers will gather up the fleshly and burn them, then the wheat can be put into His care, the New Covenant."

The Old Testament, and the Four Gospels is all about God's chosen and judgment day that would come upon them. The coming of the "Redeemer" (Jesus) would be the fulfillment of all that had been written (Old Testament prophecy).
Luk 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
All was fulfilled on the day he was crucified, from that day forward the New Covenant has been in effect and was first preached on the Day of Pentecost by Peter and the other Apostles.

Last edited:

iamaberean

Mat 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
Mat 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

This is posted because so many people picture Peter as standing at the Pearly Gates in heaven with keys in his hand. This is not true, the gate is opened to us here on earth. They are not physical keys they are spiritual keys. Peter used the keys, first for the Jews and then later he opened the gates to the Gentiles.

To the Jews:

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Then to the Gentiles:
Act 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Joh 14:5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The keys are simply this: Repent, be baptized in Jesus name and be filled with the Holy Ghost. This is how we cometh unto the Father by way of Jesus.

Joh 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
Joh 10:2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
Joh 10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
Joh 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
Joh 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

iamaberean

Jer 3:1 They say, If a man put away his wife, and she go from him, and become another man's, shall he return unto her again? shall not that land be greatly polluted? but thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to me, saith the LORD.

Jer 3:20 Surely as a wife treacherously departeth from her husband, so have ye dealt treacherously with me, O house of Israel, saith the LORD.

Under the Old Covenant, Israel was the wife of God. In the following scriptures we see a wedding of a new bride (New Covenant) for God had divorced the old because she went a whoring after other Gods.
Mat 22:1 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,
Mat 22:2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,
Mat 22:3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.
Jesus came to his own, and they received him not. He even sent his disciples to call them to be the bride of Jesus.
Mat 22:4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.
Mat 22:5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
Mat 22:6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
Many of his disciples were slewed while preaching Jesus.
Mat 22:7 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
The amount of time that their generation could accept Jesus as their Messiah, was coming to an end. That end would conclude with the destruction of Jerusalem. That happened in 70 AD.
Mat 22:8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
Mat 22:9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
Mat 22:10 So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests.

From the time Jesus was crucified until the destruction of Jerusalem, the disciples did everything in their power to get the Jews, along with the Gentiles, to come to Jesus.

Today there is no distinction between Jew and Gentile. Everyone has the ability to become a part of the bride of Christ.

iamaberean

I have pointed this out before, but do you know there are three resurrections spoken of in the bible.

1. The first resurrection happened on the day of the Crucifixion. Jesus, of course and also to those that died who had believed in Christ while he walked here on earth. We know this because Jesus told the thief on the cross he would be in paradise with him that day.

2. The second resurrection came when the Old Testament saints were raised to be judged. That happened in 70 AD. We know that because Jesus had told his disciples that the destruction of the temple would be the sign of the last day.

3. The third resurrection happens when Christians die physically and their spirit goes right on up to be with the LORD. Believers never have a judgment day, for we have no sin, Jesus has already washed all or our sins away.