The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

greatdivide46

Originally posted by c.moore

Main Entry: 1work
Pronunciation: 'w&rk
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English werk, work, from Old English werc, weorc; akin to Old High German werc work, Greek ergon, Avestan var&zem activity
1 : activity in which one exerts strength or faculties to do or perform something: a : sustained physical or mental effort to overcome obstacles and achieve an objective or result b : the labor, task, or duty that is one's accustomed means of livelihood c : a specific task, duty, function, or assignment often being a part or phase of some larger activity
2 a : energy expended by natural phenomena b : the result of such energy <sand dunes are the work of sea and wind> c : the transference of energy that is produced by the motion of the point of application of a force and is measured by multiplying the force and the displacement of its point of application in the line of action
3 a : something that results from a particular manner or method of working, operating, or devising <careful police work> <clever camera work> b : something that results from the use or fashioning of a particular material <porcelain work>
4 a : a fortified structure (as a fort, earthen barricade, or trench) b plural : structures in engineering (as docks, bridges, or embankments) or mining (as shafts or tunnels)
5 plural but singular or plural in construction : a place where industrial labor is carried on : PLANT, FACTORY
6 plural : the working or moving parts of a mechanism <works of a clock>
7 a : something produced or accomplished by effort, exertion, or exercise of skill <this book is the work of many hands> b : something produced by the exercise of creative talent or expenditure of creative effort : artistic production
8 plural : performance of moral or religious acts <salvation by works>
9 a : effective operation : EFFECT, RESULT <wait for time to do its healing work> b : manner of working : WORKMANSHIP, EXECUTION
10 : the material or piece of material that is operated upon at any stage in the process of manufacture
11 plural a : everything possessed, available, or belonging <the whole works, rod, reel, tackle box, went overboard> <ordered pizza with the works> b : subjection to drastic treatment : all possible abuse -- usually used with get <get the works> or give <gave them the works>
- at work 1 : engaged in working : BUSY esp : engaged in one's regular occupation 2 : having effect : OPERATING, FUNCTIONING
- in the works : in process of preparation, development, or completion
- in work 1 : in process of being done 2 of a horse : in training
- out of work : without regular employment : JOBLESS
synonyms WORK, LABOR, TRAVAIL, TOIL, DRUDGERY, GRIND mean activity involving effort or exertion. WORK may imply activity of body, of mind, of a machine, or of a natural force <too tired to do any work>. LABOR applies to physical or intellectual work involving great and often strenuous exertion <farmers demanding fair compensation for their labor>. TRAVAIL is bookish for labor involving pain or suffering <years of travail were lost when the house burned>. TOIL implies prolonged and fatiguing labor <his lot would be years of back-breaking toil>. DRUDGERY suggests dull and irksome labor <an editorial job with a good deal of drudgery>. GRIND implies labor exhausting to mind or body <the grind of the assembly line>.
synonyms WORK, EMPLOYMENT, OCCUPATION, CALLING, PURSUIT, Métier, BUSINESS mean a specific sustained activity engaged in especially in earning one's living. WORK may apply to any purposeful activity whether remunerative or not <her work as a hospital volunteer>. EMPLOYMENT implies work for which one has been engaged and is being paid by an employer <your employment with this firm is hereby terminated>. OCCUPATION implies work in which one engages regularly especially as a result of training <his occupation as a trained auto mechanic>. CALLING applies to an occupation viewed as a vocation or profession <the ministry seemed my true calling>. PURSUIT suggests a trade, profession, or avocation followed with zeal or steady interest <her family considered medicine the only proper pursuit>. Métier implies a calling or pursuit for which one believes oneself to be especially fitted <acting was my one and only métier>. BUSINESS suggests activity in commerce or the management of money and affairs <the business of managing a hotel>.

Looks like energy and movements to me.
You must baptize differently that I do. When I baptize someone I am the only one exerting energy or force. When I was baptized I was completely passive. All I did was submit. I don't see any energy for force expended in being submissive. Therefore, I don't consider baptism a work.

c.moore

You must baptize differently that I do. When I baptize someone I am the only one exerting energy or force. When I was baptized I was completely passive. All I did was submit. I don't see any energy for force expended in being submissive. Therefore, I don't consider baptism a work

You didn`t put on a white dress or robe to get baptized in??

You didn´t do any work to walk into the pool or river???

You didn`t do any work to hold your breath under water??

You didn`t do any kind of movement to get out the water which is works???

greatdivide46

Originally posted by c.moore

You didn`t put on a white dress or robe to get baptized in??
I don't remember, but if I did it didn't have any effect on my salvation.

You didn´t do any work to walk into the pool or river???
Nope. Not that resulted in salvation, anyway.

You didn`t do any work to hold your breath under water??
I don't consider that work -- and anyway if I hadn't held my breath I'd have been ushered into the presence of the Lord immediately. :D

You didn`t do any kind of movement to get out the water which is works???
Well, I got out of the water, but by that time I was already saved, so it had no affect on my salvation whatsoever.

You seem to be reaching in your assertion that baptism is a work. :)

rene

Instead of wondering what they are wearing when baptized -

Instead of wondering if the did any 'work' possibly by doing any walking to be baptized -

Then the foolish comments about "holding breath"? and "do any kind of movement to get out the water which is works"?

All the while ignoring the words within scripture.

Tit 1:15 All things indeed [are] pure to the pure, but to the ones having been defiled and unbelieving nothing [is] pure, _but_ both their mind and their conscience [are] defiled.
Tit 1:16 They profess to know God, but they deny [Him] in their works, being detestable and disobedient and disqualified for every good work.

rene

Moore seems to like to press the thought that anything that could be called "work" makes it less than spiritual or the will of God that it be done. Not so with God.

Rev 22:12 "Listen! I am coming quickly, and My reward [is] with me, to render [or, repay] to each as his work will be [fig., according to his deeds].

Scripture is consitant in this stand.

Jam 2:20 But are you willing to recognize, O empty [fig., foolish] person, that such faith without such works is dead?
Jam 2:21 Abraham our father, he was justified [or, shown to be righteous] by means of works, having offered Isaac his son upon the altar, was he not? [Gen. 22:9]
Jam 2:22 Do you see that his faith was working together with his works, and by means of the works his faith was perfected?
Jam 2:23 And [so] was fulfilled the Scripture, the one saying, "But Abraham believed [or, trusted] God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called a friend of God. [Gen 15:6; Isaiah 41:8]
Jam 2:24 So you* see that a person is justified [or, shown to be righteous] by means of works and not by means of faith only.
Jam 2:25 So likewise also Rahab the prostitute was justified [or, shown to be righteous] by means of works, having welcomed the messengers and having sent [them] out by a different way, was she not?
Jam 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so also one's faith without such works is dead.

c.moore

Originally posted by rene

Moore seems to like to press the thought that anything that could be called "work" makes it less than spiritual or the will of God that it be done. Not so with God.

Rev 22:12 "Listen! I am coming quickly, and My reward [is] with me, to render [or, repay] to each as his work will be [fig., according to his deeds].

Scripture is consitant in this stand.

Jam 2:20 But are you willing to recognize, O empty [fig., foolish] person, that such faith without such works is dead?
Jam 2:21 Abraham our father, he was justified [or, shown to be righteous] by means of works, having offered Isaac his son upon the altar, was he not? [Gen. 22:9]
Jam 2:22 Do you see that his faith was working together with his works, and by means of the works his faith was perfected?
Jam 2:23 And [so] was fulfilled the Scripture, the one saying, "But Abraham believed [or, trusted] God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called a friend of God. [Gen 15:6; Isaiah 41:8]
Jam 2:24 So you* see that a person is justified [or, shown to be righteous] by means of works and not by means of faith only.
Jam 2:25 So likewise also Rahab the prostitute was justified [or, shown to be righteous] by means of works, having welcomed the messengers and having sent [them] out by a different way, was she not?
Jam 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so also one's faith without such works is dead.

Eph:2:7: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Eph:2:8: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph:2:9: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ro:11:5: Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
Ro:11:6: And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Ro:3:19: Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Ro:3:20: Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Ro:3:21: But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Ro:3:22: Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
Ro:3:23: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Ro:3:24: Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Ro:3:25: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Ga:2:16: Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Ti:3:4: But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
Ti:3:5: Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

God Bless

C.moore

rene

I never said anything about faith and grace not being part of relationship with God thru His Son Jesus.

I have repeatedly pointed out that to ignore the teaching of Jesus on baptism is a buffet approach to scripture and not following even the inital teaching Jesus gave to spread the gospel - as Jesus clearly said within the scripture that I have quoted so many times - and that you want to ignore.

You also ignore this one with your stand of a teaching of Jesus "minor" and the reality that the apostles didn't follow what you suggest.

Gal 3:26 For you* are all sons [and daughters] of God by means of faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27 For as many as were baptized [or, immersed] into Christ put on [or, clothed yourselves with] Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is no Jew nor Greek, there is no slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you* are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29 Now since you* [are] Christ's, consequently, you* are seed [fig., descendents] of Abraham and heirs according to promise.

c.moore

Rene

Quote:I never said anything about faith and grace not being part of relationship with God thru His Son Jesus

C.Moore

I know but many religious believer who are very religious believe they have to do something to get brownie point from God or have to do some religious ritual to get grace or repentance.

rene

You may know such - just as I have found people on the internet that think that they can pick and choose what to follow within scripture.

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sin for all [time, the] Righteous [One] on behalf of unrighteous [ones], so that He should bring you* to God, [Christ] having been put to death on the one hand in [the] flesh [or, by flesh], on the other hand having been made alive in [the] spirit [or, by [the] Spirit],
1Pe 3:19 in which [or, by whom] also having gone, He preached to the spirits in prison,
1Pe 3:20 having formerly refused to believe, when the patience of God kept eagerly waiting in [the] days of Noah, while an ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water;
1Pe 3:21 which [as] an antitype baptism [or, immersion] now also saves us (not [the] removal of [the] filth of flesh, _but_ an appeal to God for a good conscience) through [the] resurrection of Jesus Christ,
1Pe 3:22 who is at [the] right hand of God, having gone into heaven, angels and authorities and powers having been subjected to Him. (Analytical-Literal Translation)

1Pe 3:18 Because even Christ once suffered concerning sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God; indeed being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the Spirit;
1Pe 3:19 in which also, going in to the spirits in prison, He then proclaimed
1Pe 3:20 to disobeying ones, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, an ark having been prepared, into which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.
1Pe 3:21 Which antitype now also saves us, baptism (not a putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God through the resurrection of Jesus Christ;
1Pe 3:22 who going into Heaven is at the right of God, the angels, and authorities, and powers being subjected to Him). (Literal Translation)

rene

I guess these verses mean nothing either - or not what they say too?

1Jo 5:5 Who is the one overcoming the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
1Jo 5:6 This is the One coming through water and blood, Jesus Christ; not by the water only, but by the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the One witnessing, because the Spirit is the truth.
1Jo 5:7 For there are three bearing witness in Heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
1Jo 5:8 And there are three who bear witness on the earth: The Spirit, and the water, and the blood; and the three are to the one.
1Jo 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; because this is the witness of God which He has witnessed about His Son:
1Jo 5:10 The one believing in the Son of God has the witness in himself. The one not believing God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the witness which God has witnessed concerning His Son.
1Jo 5:11 And this is the witness: that God gave us everlasting life, and this life is in His Son.
1Jo 5:12 The one having the Son has life. The one not having the Son of God does not have life.
1Jo 5:13 I wrote these things to you, the ones believing in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have everlasting life, and that you may believe in the name of the Son of God.

So one believing in the name of Jesus, those having eternal life - have the Spirit, the blood, and the water. But the water isn't baptism - never mind that Jesus instructed it - that it was practiced and seen within scripture - ignore all the examples of it within scripture - that what you suggest isn't within scripture - baptism is done away with?

Where and how you came to what you say you believe - I don't know. My suggestion is to stop listening to whomever your listening to and start doing what the scripture teaches and following it vs. what your doing now.

c.moore

No baptism is not done away only it is not a must or need to get salvation .
slavation is already done by the accepting of the blood of Christ and the believing in faith of being born again.

again you put the cart before the horses in your salvation belief or doctrine and interpretations.

rene

Some progress - at least you have backed off from your comments that baptism is no longer needed and done away with. I take it that you then retract your comment that it is a minor teaching?

Salvation, as seen within the scriptures that I quote - are still not totally inline with scripture on the point of baptism.

Jesus taught it. Never stated that it was to be 'done away with' nor suggested that any that have salvation will not have followed this important instruction.

Matthew 28:18, Jesus spoke. The word there "laleō", literally means that it was given by divine decree. Jesus declares the will of God. Baptism was an instruction given that was to be followed for those that became disciples and followed His teachings, His will.

Your disagreement isn't with me - it is with your own lack of understanding of the scriptures in question.

Your problem is that you totally are ignoring the cart and suggest that the horse is all there is.

c.moore

No, i know both should be used but even the ropes and chains or connections to the carts are important just like reading the bible , going to chruch , saying prayers getting baptized, or helping the poor , giving, and etc but i know baptism is not what gives us repentance or salvation , but having the salvation already make us want to freely do the other things including giving tithes and fasting and baptism and more.

but the main thing is to be saved first so your fruits will show afterwards, you are saved and you again do all you can because you are saved and not doing things to qualify to be saved as you claim .-

rene

All the analogies in the world do not make what Jesus said change one bit.

Questions that you may want to ask yourself if you indeed want to serve God the best that you can and instructed to by His very Son Jesus.

Does it matter one bit when the moment of salvation comes if one doesn’t follow His teachings? Can a person 'pick and choose' what it is that they follow - the 'buffet' approach to the gospel?

Can one really be saved if they make the choice to ignore the words of God’s Son who came to this world for the reason of salvation?

Considering that it is a foundation teaching that all other teachings are founded upon that we find in Matthew 28:18-20 for the est. of His church/bride that He will return for – if the foundation is not sound – what happens? (HINT – there is a parable that addresses this very point within scripture)

BTW - I NEVER claimed "doing things to qualify to be saved" EVER. Such is a FALSE CLAIM that you have repeatedly made against me.

Last edited:

c.moore

It is the Spirit which come s in us that make us righteous , and salvation comes in as we use our heart not rituals as you think.

Yes you do a qualification gospel everytime you bring up about getting wet is a need to be saved and born again by the Spirit and to qualify to get into the Kingdom of God.

if this was not the case as you claim then there would be no reason to debate or talk about another gospel of baptismo rituals getting wet.

rene

You keep calling baptism a "ritual" - as if the teaching were somehow a dirty word vs. a teaching that Jesus instructed to be followed to est. the church - a teaching that was to always be followed per His words.

Is such an attitude one that a Christian should have towards a teaching of Jesus, the Son of God, the one that they claim to follow?

As to the "qualification gospel" comment - if by my following and not altering the teachings of Jesus mean such - then yes, I believe that one must follow the teachings of Jesus to be qualified to be a Christain vs. going the buffet approach to the gospel.

Last edited:

c.moore

You keep calling baptism a "ritual" - as if the teaching were somehow a dirty word vs. a teaching that Jesus instructed to be followed to est. the church - a teaching that was to always be followed per His words.

Is such an attitude one that a Christian should have towards a teaching of Jesus, the Son of God, the one that they claim to follow?

As to the "qualification gospel" comment - if by my following and not altering the teachings of Jesus mean such - then yes, I believe that one must follow the teachings of Jesus to be qualified to be a Christain vs. going the buffet approach to the gospel.

This is the key problem to your gospel is that you make the gospel a must and not a want too.
We obey because we want too and the Holy Ghost that should be in us will guide us to want to obey and follow with an open heart and not to qualify as you do.
This is why we are led by the Holy Spirit and not by legalism or laws and qualification as you think.
When you one day the new born spiritual rebirth then you will see the change and the want to and the doing and fruits of a christian come into practise.
A gospel of a must and laws or not good news, but a free will offereing of yourself because Christ is in us does the finish works of salvation.
This is one reason OSAS comes into motion even though i do believe a person can deny Christ at any time and loss their salvation so this OSAS is not really true at whole, but if a wise person has accepted the free gift of salvation or became multi rich why go back to being poor busted and disgusted.

So this is why i knwo a real born again Spirit filled christian will want to get baptized and do all that has to be done jsut because that same Jesus is in them as sons and daughter to do the will of God and remains in the Kingdom of God as righteous people before God.

BTW the reason why I use ritual is because the meaning means:

Definitions of ritual on the Web:

any customary observance or practice
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

the prescribed procedure for conducting religious ceremonies

stereotyped behavior

of or relating to or characteristic of religious rituals; "ritual killing"

of or relating to or employed in social rites or rituals; "a ritual dance of Haiti"; "sedate little colonial tribe with its ritual tea parties"- Nadine Gordimer

An activity which bonds the organization together and is traditionally secretive.
www.student-affairs.buffalo.edu/greeklife/grdef.shtml

In Witch terms, the time period from the concecretion of the circle at the beginning, to the opening of the circle at the end, and everything in between. Rituals usually have certain associated rites that are performed as a part of ritual.
thecave.virtualave.net/glossary.html

— n. An occasion when an individual or a group uses traditional practices in order to focus energy for an identified purpose, such as healing, transformation, empowerment, protection, celebration, etc. The basic elements of a ritual in the Reclaiming Tradition are: grounding and purifying; casting the Circle; invocation of the Directions; invocation of the Deity (or Deities); Magical working; sharing food and drink; and opening the Circle.
www.reclaiming.org/about/glossary.html

the traditional ceremonies of a chapter which are usually secret.
www.westga.edu/~stuacts/greeks/greek_glossary.shtml

A book of prayers and ceremonies used in the administration of the sacraments and other ceremonial functions. In the Roman Rite, the standard book of this kind is the Roman Ritual.
www.osvpublishing.com/catholicalmanac/04c.asp

the ceremonies celebrated and conducted by every chapter; the secret rites to membership
www.wsu.edu/hdrl/Greek/GreekLife/Greek_Glossary.htm

Liturgical manual containing the prayers for the administration of all the sacraments except the Eucharist.
www.ceu.hu/medstud/manual/MMM/glossary.html

A ceremonial act or performance used to heighten commitment and deepen understanding.
www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/drama810/apf.htm

The ceremony by which an organization brings those who have met initiation requirements into full membership. The ritual expresses the founding principles upon which each organization was established and is to be used to determine the value of each activity the organization chooses to become involved in.
www.uca.edu/divisions/student/greeks/glossary.htm

A formal series of generally predetermined actions (both mental or physical) performed to harness and then direct magickal powers toward the accomplishment of the goal at hand. [For more information see http://www.spiritonline.com/wicca/spellbook.html]
www.spiritonline.com/dictionary/r.html

The traditional beliefs and oaths of a sorority or fraternity usually used in reference to the Ceremonies of Initiation as well as weekly chapter meetings. These traditions do not include any forms of hazing, because hazing weakens the bonds of brotherhood / sisterhood, and undermines the common experience of the fraternity or sorority. Ritual does however, ensure that all members share a common experience across multiple campuses and generations.
watserv1.uwaterloo.ca/~fsac/glossary_of_greek_terms.htm

A traditional cultural practice, usually religious, involving precise movements, music, spoken text, and/or gestures, that serves to communicate with deities. Ritual is often incorporated into plays, either as conventions of the theatre or as specific dramatized actions.
highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0767430077/student_view0/glossary.html

the traditional secret ceremony of a fraternity or sorority.
www2.evansville.edu/glifeweb/glossary.htm

the visible control of abstract thoughts. Tries to control unpredictable events and the supernatural. Tries to know the unknowable and change the unchangeable.
oregonstate.edu/dept/anthropology/glossary2.htm

the traditional ceremonies of an organization, usually secret.
umanitobanpc.tripod.com/glossary.htm

A set routine of gestures, movements, actions and thoughts performed for a many number of reasons. Magical Ritual has a basic outline of repeated words, gestures, thoughts and actions.
www.webeffects-aus.com/quicksilversmagic/glossary.html

A loose term which is often ascribed to any object or site whose exact purpose is unknown or uncertain. The term encompasses ideas such as ceremonial, magical, and religious
www.halifax-today.co.uk/specialfeatures/triviatrail/a22_r.html

A sacred system of ceremonial acts in observance and accordance of ones spirituality.
thewiccanabode.freewebsitehosting.com/glossary.htm

Formalized ceremonial behavior in which the members of a group or community regularly engage.
www.jdar.org/dico/dico/R.htm

The mode of performing a rite.
www.goodshepherd1.com/A_Simple_Church_Glossary.htm

An instrumental action dealing with death, that is also expressional and that may or may not be charged with symbolic content expressing, among other things, the attitudes of the participants and possible onlookers (passive participants) who may be regarded as co-beneficiaries.
www.accd.edu/sac/soci/gpimente/1370/Mort.htm

A named set of rites Usually intended to be performed together. See also essay on Ceremony and Information Systems.
bart.cba.nau.edu/~durham-j/glossary_closed_system.htm

So getting baptized is an outward ritual which other can see and is done in an traditonal order as such above.

Now if we are taliking about a Spiritual baptism which is with the heart then we are talking about the key and the main thing which connect us to salvation and the thing which join us into the new born life that makes us Holy and righteous , and is the key that make us one with God and has all the complete effects in God`s kingdom.

Last edited:

rene

The gospel that I have been quoted is what JESUS taught.

What I have supported is what JESUS said to follow and do.

All your links, all your words - are just that. - yours.

What is a person that mocks a teaching of Jesus? What is a person that suggests following something other than the way that Jesus taught? What is the spirit that is being followed by those with these sort of actions?

Your butting your head against the teaching of Jesus. The really sorrowful thing is that you are suggesting things about baptism - and base it upon what you find on the internet vs. what is instructed within the bible.

Better to follow the teachings of Jesus than what you find on a web site.

Mat 28:18 And coming up Jesus talked with them, saying, All authority in Heaven and on earth was given to Me.
Mat 28:19 Then having gone, disciple all nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
Mat 28:20 teaching them to observe all things, whatever I commanded you. And, behold, I am with you all the days until the completion of the age. Amen.

WHERE within any of the words quoted yet again above does Jesus make baptism an 'option', something that a believer may not/doesn't have to do?

Last edited:

c.moore

The gospel that I have been quoted is what JESUS taught.

What I have supported is what JESUS said to follow and do.

All your links, all your words - are just that. - yours.

What is a person that mocks a teaching of Jesus? What is a person that suggests following something other than the way that Jesus taught? What is the spirit that is being followed by those with these sort of actions?

Your butting your head against the teaching of Jesus. The really sorrowful thing is that you are suggesting things about baptism - and base it upon what you find on the internet vs. what is instructed within the bible.

Better to follow the teachings of Jesus than what you find on a web site.

Mat 28:18 And coming up Jesus talked with them, saying, All authority in Heaven and on earth was given to Me.
Mat 28:19 Then having gone, disciple all nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
Mat 28:20 teaching them to observe all things, whatever I commanded you. And, behold, I am with you all the days until the completion of the age. Amen.

WHERE within any of the words quoted yet again above does Jesus make baptism an 'option', something that a believer may not/doesn't have to do?

This is the same quote as the mormons said as they tried to tell what Jesus also say´s to justify their doctrine of baptism and baptism for the dead as needed to be saved or get saved one day.
What a shame how some christinas interpretate the bible for their own religious works and rituals.:down:

You would make a very good church of Christ or Mormon member.:)