Interesting email from 2004

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not posting excerpts because it's a short blog post. The blogger applies it to the present day...agree? Disagree?

http://acecomments.mu.nu/?post=366996
From the link ....

As the MC interviewed him, he began to share about his ministry in his country that borders Afghanistan. He talked about the church he pastors of a few hundred people. He also shared how it is illegal in his country to be a Christian. You see, his church is an "underground" church. Amazingly, his city also has 3 "underground" Christian schools. He talked about how the Christians have been arrested and even killed in his country.

Then, as the interview was about to end, he began to speak very urgently and passionately. He said something to this effect: "I would like all of you to know that my church and the Christians in my country are praying that President Bush will be reelected."

I was stunned. I knew that this gathering had to include many pastors from all over the political spectrum and I was certain this would not go over well. Immediately, there were murmurings and rumblings throughout the audience and the MC seemed a little uncertain about what to do next.

However, this pastor would not be denied. Grasping the microphone firmly in his hand, he continued,
"The officials in my country are afraid of President Bush, so they don't persecute Christians as much. Under Clinton it was very bad for us. Many of us were arrested, put in jail, and some were killed. With Clinton, it was very bad. But under President Bush, it has been so much better, so we are praying for him."

The murmuring ended. It was suddenly very quiet. The MC paused. Then he just asked us to stand and pray for this man and we did so with great passion.

Choking back tears, I was immediately struck with this realization in my heart: this coming election was not just about me or my church or my country. This coming election would affect the entire world. And while there are many Christians and churches in this country that may not support and may even despise our current President, there is a group of Christians halfway around the world who are desperately praying for his reelection.

All of the sudden, the election became something very different for me

glassjester

Interesting perspective.

I immediately thought of kids in school. There's always a few bad ones - but when they walk into certain teachers' rooms, they just magically behave themselves. And it's not like that teacher is constantly telling them to behave - they just know not to mess around in that particular class.

Then I got to this paragraph:
(It's kind of like high school, when one of the teachers was sick, we were all, like, alright, we're getting a sub, now we can goof off all period, and what's he going to do about it? Which, actually, is a pretty good metaphor for the Obama presidency. That is, for the past 8 years, he's been the country's substitute teacher.)

Danoh

Present day?

Trump not only has huge vested financial interests in many deplorable parts of the world, but has continued to seek out even more of those now, as President elect.

Trump being Trump.

And as he recently announced such conflicts of interest do not apply to the President.