ECT Speaking in tongues

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
In 1 Corinthians 14:19 Paul states: "Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue."

Even Paul's preference is speaking in a language he can understand.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Who interpreted?

A woman who knows Hebrew. She said was angry asked if her husband knew that she was in love with a Jew. You don't believe anyway--:listen: why ask?

I'm not sure why those with the gift of tongues :p should yield to the likes of you--devoid of the spirit. The Holy Spirit will do what he likes and he's not asking for your permission. Mk 16:17

musterion

The assembled Jews in town for the festivities heard the believers speak each in his own language.

Either that was exactly what it says -- speaking in human languages the speakers did not know -- or it was a miracle on the end of the hearers, making it a gift of hearing more than a gift of tongues.

Since that second option is out, what they heard was miraculously spoken actual human languages.

What no one hears today is miraculously spoken actual human languages.

Unless there's verifiable audio out there somewhere...not here on TOL...

Interplanner

Those books were pertaining to the House of Israel. :idunno:

There is no such thing as books/letters pertaining to the house of Israel. Even "Hebrews" has tons in for all mankind, and says so.

But the reason the statement is true about God not speaking to individuals anymore is that Christ is such a complete commmunication. It is not due to various tenuous D'ist changes. There was the pre-Christian era and now there is Christ.

musterion

A woman who knows Hebrew. She said was angry asked if her husband knew that she was in love with a Jew. You don't believe anyway--:listen: why ask?

1 Thess 5:21

I'm not sure why those with the gift of tongues :p should yield to the likes of you--devoid of the spirit.

Well in that case I'm exactly the one intended to benefit by hearing them. 1 Cor 14:22

Go ahead and make it about us. We know you have no evidence because you know you have no gift.

Danoh

I sincerely believe that God isn't appearing to or audibly speaking to people in this Dispensation of Grace. He ONLY speaks to us through His Holy Inspired Word. (The Bible.) He is otherwise silent today. We also have the presence of the Holy Spirit in the world and within the true believers. There may be some occult phenomena going on in some of these occurrences? The Bible states in Ephesians 6:12 "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Nope.

Throughout Scripture, when God is behind signs and wonders; the Adversary is behind their counterfit.

As God gradually moved away from signs and wonders to a greater and greater focus on doctrine (on working through His Word in you that Believe - in other words; in Body members) what do we see Paul warning the Adversary was up to?

Also gradually moving away from a counterfeit of the one, to a counterfeit of the other.

So that by the time that which was perfect had reached its fullness; so had the Adversary's counterfeit.

The core of each having reached their respective fulness; neither is now in engaged in the signs and wonders aspect during this Mystery Age, until some point after the fullness of this Mystery Age itself.

Just a matter of rightly dividing things within Romans thru Philemon.