Racism and Segregation at a middle school

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Ticked Off Moms Taking Stand Against ‘Reverse Racism’ and ‘Segregation’ at Middle School

Parents at a Florida middle school were livid after what they say was an example of “reverse racism” and “segregation” — black students being allowed to attend a field trip while other students were prohibited.

Heron Creek Middle School officials planned a field trip to see a performance by black musicians, but initially, only black students were being allowed to attend, WTSP-TV reported.

About 50 black students who kept up good grades, good behavior and completed community service were being allowed to go. That was until some ticked off moms took a stand against what they perceived as “reverse racism.”

“We teach our children not to be racist, and now they’re going to school and witnessing segregation,” Lisa Prince, one Heron Creek parent, said, WBBH-TV reported.

“It just blew my mind that they would do something like that,” Deborah Halton, another parent said.

Prince was so bothered by it that she went to meet with principal Matthew Gruhl, where she said they “agreed to disagree.” It wasn’t until after the story got out on social media that the school finally decided to reverse course.

“They decided today to open it up to all students who met the same criteria. That involves grades and behavior and other criteria,” Sarasota County schools spokesman Scott Ferguson told the Sarasota Herald Tribune.

Gruhl said the school initially bought 50 tickets for the performance but is now working with parents and community leaders to raise $3,500, the amount needed to buy 500 tickets so that all students can attend.

Meanwhile, Gruhl said the school never meant to send a “negative message.”

We are sorry if we hurt people’s feelings,” Gruhl said.

yep, sorry they got caught.

I wonder when the principle will resign and when the white students there will be demanding safe spaces there.

On this rare occasion i changed the title from the article, because "reverse racism" is a mythical pc beast term created by liberals to use to pretend that racism is only a white animal.

This is racism, pure and simple and if you doubt it, plug in the word white in place of black and see if it looks racist then and wonder how the school would survive being burned to the ground if it were field trip to reward only white students.

Quetzal

Ticked Off Moms Taking Stand Against ‘Reverse Racism’ and ‘Segregation’ at Middle School

I wonder when the principle will resign and when the white students there will be demanding safe spaces there.

On this rare occasion i changed the title from the article, because "reverse racism" is a mythical pc beast term created by liberals to use to pretend that racism is only a white animal.

This is racism, pure and simple and if you doubt it, plug in the word white in place of black and see if it looks racist then and wonder how the school would survive being burned to the ground if it were field trip to reward only white students.
I have never heard of reverse racism, either. Like you said, straight up racist and they got called on it.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I have never heard of reverse racism, either. Like you said, straight up racist and they got called on it.

How about reverse discrimination? never heard of that either? or are you one of those liberals that likes to parse semantics as while dismissing the act? You should be working for Obama he loves that tactic as well.

re·verse dis·crim·i·na·tion
noun
(in the context of the allocation of resources or employment) the practice or policy of favoring individuals belonging to groups known to have been discriminated against previously.

But if your in doubt, Wiki has a page for Reverse Racism as well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_racism

glorydaz

I wouldn't be surprised if they figured it was owed them. "Black Lives Matter" is opening all kinds of new territory. The pendulum swings again. :nono:

Quetzal

How about reverse discrimination? never heard of that either? or are you one of those liberals that likes to parse semantics as while dismissing the act? You should be working for Obama he loves that tactic as well.
Easy there, killer. I have not heard of reverse discrimination either. Sorry, I am a failure of a liberal.

PureX

There is no such thing as "reverse racism". There is racism, or there is none.

The claim of reverse racism is basically a racist claim thrown at affirmative action policies that are designed to correct for oppressive racist policies of the past. The racists don't like these corrections, and so try to claim they are some "reversed" form of racism, when they are not. They try to make themselves out to be the victims after having victimized others for centuries.

I suspect this particular incident was a flawed but well-intentioned attempt at affirmative action, wherein the racist white school officials just assumed that only the black students would want to go see a performance by black musicians. And being oblivious of their own racist assumptions, they didn't see how racially discriminatory their assumption really was.

Some students and their parents did, however, and so they called them on it, and the school officials immediately changed their policy to include any student who wanted to go. So I guess there's some hope for Florida after all. Though it may yet take a very long time for them to catch up with most of the rest of the nation in terms of progressive thought and action.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There is no such thing as "reverse racism". There is racism, or there is none.

The claim of reverse racism is basically a racist claim thrown at affirmative action policies that are designed to correct for oppressive racist policies of the past. The racists don't like these corrections, and so try to claim they are some "reversed" form of racism, when they are not. They try to make themselves out to be the victims after having victimized others for centuries.

I suspect this particular incident was a flawed but well-intentioned attempt at affirmative action, wherein the racist white school officials just assumed that only the black students would want to go see a performance by black musicians. And being oblivious of their own racist assumptions, they didn't see how racially discriminatory their assumption really was.

Some students and their parents did, however, and so they called them on it, and the school officials immediately changed their policy to include any student who wanted to go. So I guess there's some hope for Florida after all. Though it may yet take a very long time for them to catch up with most of the rest of the nation in terms of progressive thought and action.

You have quite the imagination. All you have to do to know its pure racism, is to plug another race into the equation. If its racist THEN, its racist, PERIOD.

rexlunae

There's nothing "reverse" about it. It was patronizing, and racist. Here's a quote from the article The Blaze cited:

Richard says, "They said it was for blacks to be motivated to improve their grades."

That sounds like a pretty ordinary, "forward" racism to me. Racism isn't about which race you are trying to help or hurt, and thus the concept of "reverse" racism is incoherent. It's about whether you believe that race should be used to determine what people will have access to.

musterion

They were just afraid the white kids would steal the black man's music, like Elvis and the Beatles did.