Where Does The Bible Say...? (HOF thread)

JustAChristian

Today Is The Day of Salvation...

Today Is The Day of Salvation...

Originally posted by BChristianK

JustaChristian,

It looks like you have your hands full.

Nonetheless, if you could please answer my question when you get to it, I'd appreciate it.

Grace and Peace

BChristianK,

Suppose a young man from a rich and noble family and beautiful lady decided to be married after courting each other for several months. The day is set, the license is bought, the marriage site arranged, the marriage court is selected, the preacher is requested, and all is in order for the great day. When it did come, the groom was on his way to the church with his family when he was involved in a tragic car accident. His body was seriously injured in several places. The family rushed him to the hospital where he later died from his massive injuries. The bride waits at the church till the time of the wedding not knowing what had happened. No word came of the accident. All she knew is that the groom had not arrived as planned. Later, the parents of the groom came and told her that their son was dead. The young lady immediately makes a claim to his heritage but will the judge recognize her as heir since they were not married? “No, the court can not relieve you to claim since you were not married to this man.� What a great tragedy and what a great loss.

It should be known that since she was not married to the groom it negated her claim to his inheritance. The same is true regarding our marriage to Christ. Romans 7:4 says that “we are married to another who was raised from the dead.� Romans 6:5 points out that baptism is the point when we are united to Christ. Galatians 3:27 says we put on Christ in baptism.

God alone can judge people. If we neglect to be baptized for remission of sins we cannot claim God does not love us. If we are lost it is because we are the ones who have refused his directions for receiving forgiveness.

JuatAChristian

2 Corinthians 6:2 "...(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)"

Last edited:

JustAChristian

All Spiritual Blessings Are In Chr9i

All Spiritual Blessings Are In Chr9i

All spiritual blessings can only be found in Jesus Christ. There is no way to have spiritual blessings if we only work the works of mankind. Many have become blinded to this fact by the consequences of works. A great many see the enormous crowds of denominationalism and think this is well pleasing to God. They say things such as “God must be pleased with our activity and worship. Look at the way we have grown, and look at the many good thing that we are doing.� Others feel that we should not debate religion and say, “Why can’t we just be one happy family?� Things that pertain to truth are not fully measured in light of God’s revealed will. Man often becomes blinded by the leadership of opinion and bias rather than a thus saith the Lord. Some often believe that God gives great liberties in spirituality. While there is a perfect plan for worship and service, many can not find that plan because they approach the word of God as a book of great mystery. They believe the Bible is corrupt with contradictions, and has lost its exclusive value as a perfect guide. Consequently they feel that trying to find the true God is impossible, so they substitute for the real God with opinions and suppositions. Their lives are much like those who held to idolatry and superstition before Jesus opened the door of faith. Who even today live where this life style is greatly practiced. Who would take a tree and fashion it into an image and overlay it with gold. Something that must be carried about because it can not move of itself. That has no life nor can give life (Jeremiah 10:3-6), and allow it to command their lives. Yet the God who loves us and who created us with the capabilities to make right choices is far removed from the thoughts of many.

JustAChristina

JustAChristian

Where Are All Spiritual Blessings?

Where Are All Spiritual Blessings?

All spiritual blessings can only be found in Jesus Christ. There is no way to have spiritual blessings if we only work the works of mankind. Many have become blinded to this fact by the consequences of works. A great many see the enormous crowds of denominationalism and think this is well pleasing to God. They say things such as “God must be pleased with our activity and worship. Look at the way we have grown, and look at the many good thing that we are doing.� Others feel that we should not debate religion and say, “Why can’t we just be one happy family?� Things that pertain to truth are not fully measured in light of God’s revealed will. Man often becomes blinded by the leadership of opinion and bias rather than a thus saith the Lord. Some often believe that God gives great liberties in spirituality. While there is a perfect plan for worship and service, many can not find that plan because they approach the word of God as a book of great mystery. They believe the Bible is corrupt with contradictions, and has lost its exclusive value as a perfect guide. Consequently they feel that trying to find the true God is impossible, so they substitute for the real God with opinions and suppositions. Their lives are much like those who held to idolatry and superstition before Jesus opened the door of faith. Who even today live where this life style is greatly practiced. Who would take a tree and fashion it into an image and overlay it with gold. Something that must be carried about because it can not move of itself. That has no life nor can give life (Jeremiah 10:3-6), and allow it to command their lives. Yet the God who loves us and who created us with the capabilities to make right choices is far removed from the thoughts of many.

Also, God is especially concerned with those that believe for, "...It pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe" (1 Cor 1:21). We believe when we accept the truth of God. Not everything is truth. Man would have us believe that truth is relative. But, truth does not change. Once established, truth remains. God will save those that believe the gospel. The gospel is the massage of good news. It tells of the life of Jesus of Nazareth in Galilee. Who was born of Mary the espoused wife of Joseph. Before their union, she was promised of God by the angel Gabriel to bear a son in virginity. He would not be just a son, but would be the son of God. She would conceive of the Holy Spirit and give birth of the promised messiah. Jesus was born is the city of Bethlehem and after many days, dwelt in Egypt as his parents hid him from the hatred of Herod in Jerusalem. In His life on earth he greatly changed the lives of many who would receive Him. Today it is the same. “For as many as received him (then and now) to them gave he the power to become sons of God, to as many as would believe on His name� (John 1:12).

JustAChristian

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Re: Re: Re: Re: So one must do something...?

Originally posted by Dave Miller

So, by this logic, why not universalism? Why atheism instead?
just curious.
Sorry about the late reply, I just ran across this post... :eek:

Universalism does not seem to fit the Christian mythos. Atheism seems to fit the evidence (or lack of it) more closely for me.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Re: Today Is The Day of Salvation...

Re: Today Is The Day of Salvation...

Originally posted by JustAChristian

BChristianK,

Suppose a young man from a rich and noble family and beautiful lady decided to be married after courting each other for several months. The day is set, the license is bought, the marriage site arranged, the marriage court is selected, the preacher is requested, and all is in order for the great day. When it did come, the groom was on his way to the church with his family when he was involved in a tragic car accident. His body was seriously injured in several places. The family rushed him to the hospital where he later died from his massive injuries. The bride waits at the church till the time of the wedding not knowing what had happened. No word came of the accident. All she knew is that the groom had not arrived as planned. Later, the parents of the groom came and told her that their son was dead. The young lady immediately makes a claim to his heritage but will the judge recognize her as heir since they were not married? “No, the court can not relieve you to claim since you were not married to this man.� What a great tragedy and what a great loss.

It should be known that since she was not married to the groom it negated her claim to his inheritance. The same is true regarding our marriage to Christ.
Our "marriage" tio Christ is not a legal arrangement. Nor is it contingent upon legal [by law] definitions. Neither man's law, nor God's law.

Romans 7:4 says that “we are married to another who was raised from the dead.� Romans 6:5 points out that baptism is the point when we are united to Christ. Galatians 3:27 says we put on Christ in baptism.
"For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a ressurection like his."
-Romans 6:5
I don't see the word baptism in that verse.

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ."
-Galatins 3:27
Where have you seen any of us say we were not baptized into Christ? We merely sid that water baptism is not the baptism in Christ that we have, as the Body of Christ. We are baptized into Christ [by the Spirit] at the moment of faith in Him. And that is when we put on Christ.

God alone can judge people. If we neglect to be baptized for remission of sins we cannot claim God does not love us. If we are lost it is because we are the ones who have refused his directions for receiving forgiveness.
Yes, God alone can judge people, and water baptism is not a condition of salvation for those not under the law. And since no one is under the law anymore...

The shedding of Christ's blood iwas for the remission of our sins, and when we believe, we are baptized in His blood. And our sins are no more.

I would like to know what you believe about sin, though. Do you believe that we must return to God for the forgiveness of subsequent sins, after conversion?

JustAChristian

Re: Re: Today Is The Day of Salvation...

Re: Re: Today Is The Day of Salvation...

Originally posted by lighthouse

Our "marriage" tio Christ is not a legal arrangement. Nor is it contingent upon legal [by law] definitions. Neither man's law, nor God's law.

"For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a ressurection like his."
-Romans 6:5

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ."
-Galatins 3:27
Where have you seen any of us say we were not baptized into Christ? We merely sid that water baptism is not the baptism in Christ that we have, as the Body of Christ. We are baptized into Christ [by the Spirit] at the moment of faith in Him. And that is when we put on Christ.

Yes, God alone can judge people, and water baptism is not a condition of salvation for those not under the law. And since no one is under the law anymore...

The shedding of Christ's blood iwas for the remission of our sins, and when we believe, we are baptized in His blood. And our sins are no more.

I would like to know what you believe about sin, though. Do you believe that we must return to God for the forgiveness of subsequent sins, after conversion?

Lighthouse....

Our "marriage" to Christ is not a legal arrangement. Nor is it contingent upon legal [by law] definitions. Neither man's law, nor God's law.

Someone once said, “It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.� Need I say more? Have you not heard of the Law of Christ? (Gal. 6:2). Everything is based on the law of Christ, the gospel or perfect law of liberty (Rom. 1:16; James 1:25).

"For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a ressurection like his." -Romans 6:5

Could it be because the word is not in the passage? Does the literal word have to be there to prove the case? Do you not know about the law of necessary inference? School is now in session.

All actions that the Bible authorizes are either stated explicitly (by direct statement) or by implication (necessary inference). If Bible authority is not authorized by implication then the Bible does not authorize any action from individuals today. You can not prove that anything stated in the Bible applies to you. The Bible teaches that some unity is sinful just as some division is honorable (2 Cor. 6:14-17 – 7:1; Eph 5:11). Only by rightly diving the Word will anyone be able to know the difference (2 Tim. 2:15). We do not rightly divide the Word by denying the implicit teaching (necessary inferences) of the Bible. God, “the only wise� (Rom. 16:27), says, “Come now, let us reason together...� (Isaiah 1:18). When people reason together, inescapable truths, not expressly stated in a text, show themselves, among other things, the existence and eternity of God.

How do we understand and use necessary inference? Let us “reason together.� Nowhere does the Bible say that one must be old enough to believe before being baptized. But teaching must precede baptism: “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them...� (Matthew 28:18). If teaching must precede baptism, it is a necessary inference that infants are not scriptural subjects for baptism. On the point of “burial in baptism,� in Romans 6:5; since immersion requires a burial, as mentioned in Romans 6:4-5 and Colossians 2:12, an unavoidable implication is that immersion is necessary. The word “baptism� is necessarily inferred in the verses. Further, the Bible does not directly say that preaching Jesus includes preaching baptism, but since a man who had never heard of baptism asked for it after he had heard a sermon on “Jesus,� one infers necessarily that Jesus cannot be fully preached without baptism being preached (Acts 8:35-36).

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." -Galatins 3:27 Where have you seen any of us say we were not baptized into Christ? We merely sid that water baptism is not the baptism in Christ that we have, as the Body of Christ. We are baptized into Christ [by the Spirit] at the moment of faith in Him. And that is when we put on Christ.

You cannot find one example of the Holy Spirit being the “element� for one’s union with Christ at the moment of faith in Him. The baptism in Galatians 3:27 is found in the Jamieson, Faucett and Brown Commentary on the verse to say,

"Ye did, in that very act of being baptized into Christ, put on, or clothe yourselves with, Christ: so the Greek expresses. Christ is to you the toga virilis (the Roman garment of the full-grown man, assumed when ceasing to be a child) [BENGEL]. GATAKER defines a Christian, "One who has put on Christ." The argument is, By baptism ye have put on Christ; and therefore, He being the Son of God, ye become sons by adoption, by virtue of His Sonship by generation. This proves that baptism, where it answers to its ideal, is not a mere empty sign, but a means of spiritual transference from the state of legal condemnation to that of living union with Christ, and of sonship through Him in relation to God."

Did Jesus say, “He that believes and is baptized shall be saved�? Yes, He did. Where is it recorded? It is in Marks gospel chapter 16 and verse 16. To whom is this directed? It is to all the world found in verse 15 of the same chapter. I don’t know how it could be made more plain as to who baptism applies.

The shedding of Christ's blood was for the remission of our sins, and when we believe, we are baptized in His blood. And our sins are no more.

Where does the Bible imply that believing only will affect a baptism in His blood? Was Paul told to believe and wash away thy sins or was he told to arise and be baptized and wash away thy sins? It is a simple question and I expect you to make a hundred on the short test.

John said, “My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world�(1 John 2:1-2 AV). Some Christians believed that one they were saved they entered a state of inability to sin. John answers this false conclusion by further saying, “ If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us� (1 John 1:6-10 AV) Christians can sin after salvation and must understand that. I believe they must confess their sins publically if it is of a public nature and unto God in prayer if of a private nature.

In Christ,
JustAChristian

Ecumenicist

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So one must do something...?

Originally posted by Zakath

Sorry about the late reply, I just ran across this post... :eek:

Universalism does not seem to fit the Christian mythos. Atheism seems to fit the evidence (or lack of it) more closely for me.

I appreciate your honesty. I agree that the Christian tradition
in general does not support the idea of universalism, but I think
that a good argument can be made that the Christian text does.
Passages which are translated "faith in Christ," would
better be translated "faith of Christ," the idea being that we
are reconciled to God through Christ's faith, not our own.

Interesting, though, isn't it, that similar arguments can be used
to support either universalism or atheism, and also interesting
that from a salvific perspective, on the surface anyway one
might argue from either perspective that differentiating between
the two is irrelevant...

djm

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Dave,

Never being one to forego an opportunity to take a poke at the OVer's, perhaps it's all a matter of one's presuppositions.

;)

Ecumenicist

Dave,

Never being one to forego an opportunity to take a poke at the OVer's, perhaps it's all a matter of one's presuppositions.

;)

I confess ignorance, what's an OVer?

djm

BChristianK

JustaChristian,

I assume your story was meant as a reply to my story. I’ll tell you what, I’ll not perpetuate the cycle of answering stories with stories if you will permit me the same courtesy.

So I’ll provide an answer to your example if you will do the same with mine, fair?

Now you said:
Suppose a young man from a rich and noble family and beautiful lady decided to be married after courting each other for several months. The day is set, the license is bought, the marriage site arranged, the marriage court is selected, the preacher is requested, and all is in order for the great day. When it did come, the groom was on his way to the church with his family when he was involved in a tragic car accident. His body was seriously injured in several places. The family rushed him to the hospital where he later died from his massive injuries. The bride waits at the church till the time of the wedding not knowing what had happened. No word came of the accident. All she knew is that the groom had not arrived as planned. Later, the parents of the groom came and told her that their son was dead. The young lady immediately makes a claim to his heritage but will the judge recognize her as heir since they were not married?
Will an earthly judge with the authority granted him by men and by the philosophies of this world grant this young lady his heritage?

Your anticipated answer is probably correct.
“No, the court can not relieve you to claim since you were not married to this man.� What a great tragedy and what a great loss.
Your right, this earthly judge has not the authority nor reason to act graciously to this young woman. But we must remember that we are not judged by earthly principles.

Not what would Jesus say to one like the thief on the cross (who was clearly not baptized according to your formula) and clearly died before he was able to do so.

Was this bride (the thief) married to the groom (Christ) through the ritual of baptism?

Clearly not. Would an earthly judge say, what you have said.?
It should be known that since she was not married to the groom it negated her claim to his inheritance. The same is true regarding our marriage to Christ. Romans 7:4 says that “we are married to another who was raised from the dead.� Romans 6:5 points out that baptism is the point when we are united to Christ. Galatians 3:27 says we put on Christ in baptism.
Probably.

Is this what Jesus said?

No, He said,

Luke 23:43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

Now you have said:
God alone can judge people.
And God alone has judged the thief on the cross and it appears that His judgment runs contrary to your judgment on whether or not he would be condemned to hell.
If we neglect to be baptized for remission of sins we cannot claim God does not love us. If we are lost it is because we are the ones who have refused his directions for receiving forgiveness.

Here is where you and I may be closer in theology than you might think. :)
As Baptists, we have been a bit neglectful of what the bible says is the initiatory rite that represents the confession faith. In many Baptist and baptistic circles, baptism is really an afterthought, somethin’ to do after you are for sure saved. I have heard it said in Baptist circles that this is “just,� and they have used the word just, the first act of obedience after salvation.

Well, if a person isn’t willing to undergo what the Baptists say is “just� the first act of obedience to Christ, and what the bible advocates is the way a person publicly professes their faith, then I would have to admit that there is something seriously wrong, either with their understanding of the role of baptism or the authenticity of their heart conversion (unless of course there is some medical reason they cannot participate in a water baptism).

So when you say:
2 Corinthians 6:2 "...(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)"
I totally agree!

For those who have come to accept Christ’s free offer of forgiveness, having repented of their sins and confessed Christ as Lord, believing in their heart that God raised Him from the dead, it is scripturally imperative that baptism follow as soon as possible! I long for the day when we are again willing to baptize the converted immediately. (though there is some question as to how soon constitutes immediately in the bible, I’m pretty sure the upper room didn’t have a baptistery).

But for those who have been taught that it isn’t really that important, or who have been misled by teaching that it shouldn’t occur at all (like the Mid acts brethren who don’t practice baptism at all), I have a hard time thinking that God will assign them to eternal punishment due to their ignorance.

If we make the waters of baptism magical, such that anyone who does it is saved and anyone who doesn’t isn’t, we have gone beyond what the word teaches us about baptism and we trampled sufficiency of faith for salvation which is clearly taught throughout the scriptures.

You see, we need to accept the whole of the word, not just the parts that ratify our theology, and that goes for all of us, the Baptists included. For the baptistic types, we have to come to terms with Acts 2:38

Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

For those in the Restoration traditions like the Church of Christ and the Disciples of Christ, there is a need to come to terms with Acts 10.

Acts 10:47-48 Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have." 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

If we believe that Holy Spirit is the seal of our salvation (and we should)…

Ephesians 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession-- to the praise of his glory.

Then it is hard to argue that those who received the spirit before they were baptized, were unsaved until they were dunked. If we believe Ephesians 1:13 without adding out own speculative footnotes then we must assume that it was true that they were marked in Him with Holy Spirit. Now we could, footnote the passage and say “having believed, oh yea, and baptized, Paul meant that, he just didn’t say it, an oversight of the Holy Spirit maybe?� You would surely agree with me that such a practice would not be very consistent with the Restorationist’s confession that the bible is the only creed, wouldn’t it? Do we not construct our own creeds, whether they be written and published or not, if we consistently footnote the bible with our own theology instead of letting Ephesians 1:13 stand on its own?

I look forward to your direct answers to my previous question…
Final question, lets say you talk to a guy on a plane, you tell him about Jesus. He sends you an email three days later telling you he has repented of his sin, now believes that Jesus is Savior and Lord and has risen from the dead just like the scriptures say, and he is going to get baptized at his local Church of Christ the very next Sunday. You hear that a tragic accident has occurred, while he was crossing the street on his way to church on Sunday, he was hit by a greyhound bus, killing him instantly.
Now, does your theology force you to conclude that he is now rotting in hell?
Unless you say otherwise, I will assume your answer is yes for the remainder of our dialog.

Grace and Peace

Ecumenicist

Dave,

;)

Assuming that I am an OVer, whatever that means, I'll agree
with you on this one. Karl Barth argued that this is exactly
the way Christianity needs to approach faith, with the
presupposition that God is real and Scripture has meaning.

Before that, the liberal (Harnackian) approach to theology was
to use human experience and reason to try to understand
Scripture and prove God's existance.

djm

philosophizer

Re: Re: Re: So one must do something...?

Re: Re: Re: So one must do something...?

Permit me to broaden your education. :chuckle:

Biological life is one example. It is given to you by your parents without your cooperation.

Now, after birth you may refuse nourishment, fatally injure yourself, or reject life in some other manner, but you did nothing to receive it.

Certain legal statuses, like citizenship by birth, are additional examples.

Biological life:

This is not an example of a free gift. It does meet one standard, that the receiving party does not have to do anything. But this is only because at the instance of the giving, there is not yet a receiving party. The gift creates the gift-getter. Refusal of the gift is not possible simply because there's no one there to refuse.

Citizenship by birth:

Citizenship is only a word unless one lives where one can receive the benifits from it. It is also a legal concept and, at birth, there are always other parties legally in charge of the wellfare of a child-- usually parents. If those parents choose to live somewhere lacking in the reach or knowledge of the benefits of that citizenship, then it is no gift at all.

Also, this gift is only applicable if the baby is born alive, which to some degree is up to the child itself, though not as a matter of will.

Adoption:

This also depends, to some degree, on others who are place in legal responsibility over the children. Other parties have the chance to refuse the "gift" which, by your standards, would make it not truly free.

But still, I question your reasonability on the use of the word "free." You seem to be able to only apply it to situations where the gift recipient is either non-existent or unable, physically, mentally, and legally to exersize her or her will.

JustAChristian

But What About You?

But What About You?

Originally posted by BChristianK

BChristianK,

Thank you for your consideration of my answer.

How refreshing to find someone who is indeed interested in a study of the Bible. I hope this progresses between us. I will try hard not to make you mad, but you probably will get mad from time to time. I hope it want interfere with a positive approach to the study and a deep consideration to what I have to say.

Some of my answers may be long. I do a lot of articles. I use to do a 5 minute radio program and my script was a page long. I could cut and paste a page or so on some of the answers but I will not try to overwhelm you. That is a promise.

You're right, this earthly judge has not the authority nor reason to act graciously to this young woman. But we must remember that we are not judged by earthly principles.

This is true. The judgement of God through Christ will not be subjective as so much of this earth’s judgement ride.

Not what would Jesus say to one like the thief on the cross (who was clearly not baptized according to your formula) and clearly died before he was able to do so.

Was this bride (the thief) married to the groom (Christ) through the ritual of baptism?

Clearly not. Would an earthly judge say, what you have said.?

Probably not.

Now you have said: God alone can judge people.

And God alone has judged the thief on the cross and it appears that His judgment runs contrary to your judgment on whether or not he would be condemned to hell.

How so? God’s judgment is always righteous. You say that it runs contrary to my judgment on whether or not he would be condemned to hell. You conclude this not based on “all the counsel of God.� You must understand what law is in affect while Jesus hangs alive on the cross. The thief, is he subject to the law of Christ while He yet lives. Is not a testament only good after the testator is dead? (Hebrews 9:16-17). So, it is my understanding, what is commissioned to the apostles at the ascension of Christ is not at the time of “the thief on the cross� yet in effect. Simply, Christ’s law (Gal. 6:2) was not in effect prior to His death on the cross. What Jesus did was a repeating of what He had done many times before His mock trial and death on the cross. He often forgave sins. He often blessed the penitent in His ministry. However, after His death on the cross the law that He commissioned became the means of administrating the forgiveness of sins. It is that law that requires faith in Christ as the Messiah (John 8:24), the necessity of repentance of sins (Luke 13:3,5), confession of Christ before man ( Matthew 10:32-33), and baptism for the forgiveness of sins (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; 22:16). The thief was not baptized with the baptism of forgiveness of sins because he was not subject to that commandment at the time. I will welcome your comments on this understanding.

Noah was saved from the flood by building an ark and regularly offered animal sacrifice; Abraham used the family altar; Moses was atoned in the tabernacle and Solomon in the temple. We must enter Christ and the church for salvation. Baptism as we know it was not a factor with Noah, Abraham, Moses, or the thief on the cross. They all lived and died under previous laws, laws which are no longer in effect. We live today under a set law, one which was established for the duration of man's history. That law commands baptism, a burial in water for the remission of sins, preceded by faith, repentance, and confession.

If we neglect to be baptized for remission of sins we cannot claim God does not love us. If we are lost it is because we are the ones who have refused his directions for receiving forgiveness.

Here is where you and I may be closer in theology than you might think.

As Baptists, we have been a bit neglectful of what the bible says is the initiatory rite that represents the confession faith. In many Baptist and baptistic circles, baptism is really an afterthought, somethin' to do after you are for sure saved. I have heard it said in Baptist circles that this is "just," and they have used the word just, the first act of obedience after salvation.

Paul’s letter to the Colossians helps us to better understand authority. He taught, “ And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.� (Colossians 3:17 AV). This tells me that Christ has all authority and I have none. I have no right to do an “afterthought� but only that which is authorized. Baptism is authorized “for the remission of sins� (Acts 2:38; Acts 10:47), and should not be considered a mere “second thought.�

Well, if a person isn't willing to undergo what the Baptists say is "just" the first act of obedience to Christ, and what the bible advocates is the way a person publicly professes their faith, then I would have to admit that there is something seriously wrong, either with their understanding of the role of baptism or the authenticity of their heart conversion (unless of course there is some medical reason they cannot participate in a water baptism).

We have yet to agree on “what the Baptists say is ‘just’ the first act of obedience to Christ, and what the bible advocates is the way a person publicly professes their faith� to be biblically sound. Basically, I do not accept the Baptist position at all to be sound. I believe we could find much discussion on Baptist doctrine, if that is what you would like to discuss. Give an example of “a medical reason that cannot participate in a water baptism.�

For those who have come to accept Christ's free offer of forgiveness, having repented of their sins and confessed Christ as Lord, believing in their heart that God raised Him from the dead, it is scripturally imperative that baptism follow as soon as possible!

And why so? Because it places one into Christ where all spiritual blessing, of which salvation and the forgiveness of sins, rest (Eph. 1:3). Is it so� scripturally imperative� in your mind that failure to institute it will cause one to be lost?

I long for the day when we are again willing to baptize the converted immediately. (though there is some question as to how soon constitutes immediately in the bible, I'm pretty sure the upper room didn't have a baptistery).

Peter told those on Pentecost to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins....then they that received the word were baptized and the same day they were added to them (the apostles JAC) about 3,000 souls (Acts 2:38, 41). From this we should conclude that one is not in harmony with the apostles which then constituted the church of Christ until they were immersed. The church is the bride of Christ and that which Christ saves. It is the family of God and the household of faith. I think we can agree that God has no children outside His family and household, can’t we? Without exception I believe we see every case where baptism was administered it was immediately at the time it was expedient to do so. I find no example of delay beyond the immediate circumstance. However, I will entertain your comment.

But for those who have been taught that it isn't really that important, or who have been misled by teaching that it shouldn't occur at all (like the Mid acts brethren who don't practice baptism at all), I have a hard time thinking that God will assign them to eternal punishment due to their ignorance.

Why are they ignorant? Doesn’t God give all creatures the same bible? Doesn’t it say the same to all when properly interpreted? Aren’t all required to “rightly divide� or interpret the scriptures? If all this is true then whose fault is it that we do not obey the doctrine of Christ? Failure comes from doing that which is wrong. Many false teachers infect Christendom. We see more than 1,500 denominational organizations world wide teaching different doctrines yet saying they are a faction of the church of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Disciples of Jesus were told to do "Whatever He tells you to do" (John 2:5). Our blessed Savior asks a pertinent question in Luke 6:46. "Why call ye me Lord, Lord, and do not the things that I say?" The terms of admission into the Savior's domain are simple and clear. Let us rejoice in the eloquent surroundings of God's love and hasten to be faithful members of that spiritual body, the church, made possible by the blood of the Lamb.

Jesus clearly taught Nicodemus that one must be born again of water and Spirit to enter the kingdom. Acts 8:12 and 8:26-39 demonstrate this arrangement in absolute fashion. The kingdom the prophets saw and these examples of conversion illustrate the divine pattern. Praise God for such simplicity and beauty.

If we make the waters of baptism magical, such that anyone who does it is saved and anyone who doesn't isn't, we have gone beyond what the word teaches us about baptism and we trampled sufficiency of faith for salvation which is clearly taught throughout the scriptures.

People are so quick to discount water baptism’s importance because they see only water. I gather from what you are saying that you see water baptism as people seeing something magical about it, right? There is nothing in the water that is magical. It is pure water. The only difference between tap water and water of baptism is the symbolics associated with it. Symbolically one is cleansed of sins (Acts 22:16) by the blood of Christ. Christ placed the parameters of baptism and without question one needs to “gladly receive the word “ and be immersed for the remission of sins. He said, “...he that believes and is baptized shall be saved� (Mark 16:16).

You see, we need to accept the whole of the word, not just the parts that ratify our theology, and that goes for all of us, the Baptists included. For the baptistic types, we have to come to terms with Acts 2:38

A refreshing statement on your part. Have you ever considered that disciples of Christ should only be called “Christians�? Luke writes for us, “...And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.� (Acts 11:26 AV)

For those in the Restoration traditions like the Church of Christ and the Disciples of Christ, there is a need to come to terms with Acts 10.

How do you mean?

If we believe that Holy Spirit is the seal of our salvation (and we should)…Then it is hard to argue that those who received the spirit before they were baptized, were unsaved until they were dunked.

Can you find for me and those who may be following this post an example of anyone, after the commission of Christ, who received the spirit before they were baptized? By receive I mean as an “indwelling.�

If we believe Ephesians 1:13 without adding out own speculative footnotes then we must assume that it was true that they were marked in Him with Holy Spirit. Now we could, footnote the passage and say "having believed, oh yea, and baptized, Paul meant that, he just didn't say it, an oversight of the Holy Spirit maybe?"

Is it absolutely necessary in every case to have every word repeated over and over again in order to make it doctrinal? I don’t think so. When something is said or is shown to be the case, we should accept that it is the same in all cases. I would suppose that the whole Bible could not contain all the sayings otherwise. Once said or shown it should be doctrine when properly interpreted.

You would surely agree with me that such a practice would not be very consistent with the Restorationist's confession that the bible is the only creed, wouldn't it? Do we not construct our own creeds, whether they be written and published or not, if we consistently footnote the bible with our own theology instead of letting Ephesians 1:13 stand on its own?

I would agree that any “foot noting� that is not in harmony with the Word of God would be unscriptural. In commenting on Ephesians 1:13, I am confident that the term “believed� is all conclusive of faith, repentance, confession and baptism for the remission of sins, and not just faith alone as so many hold. After the disciple believes (hears the gospel, believe that Christ is the Messiah, repents of sins, confesses Christ publically, and is immersed into Christ) he is sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.

I look forward to your direct answers to my previous question…

I hope I have given you those answers but am open for improvement if needed.

Now, does your theology force you to conclude that he is now rotting in hell?

Unless you say otherwise, I will assume your answer is yes for the remainder of our dialog.

He would be within the Hadean realm awaiting the return of Christ who will judge the “quick and the dead� according to righteousness (2 Tim. 2:1; 1 Peter 4:5; Rev. 19:11). But, what we have to deal with is you. You have heard the gospel while alive and vibrant. Are you going to obey it or reject it?

In Christ,
JustAChristian

Last edited:

JustAChristian

The Most Misunderstood Person In The Bible...

The Most Misunderstood Person In The Bible...

The most misunderstood person in the Bible, I believe, is the Holy Spirit. I want you to understand for sure that the Holy Spirit is a person. He is not an "it" or a "thing", He is a person of Deity, and is called the Holy Ghost in the King James Version (Mt. 3:11), and "Spirit" in the first letter to Timothy (1 Tim 4:1). We see him called "the Spirit of God" in (1 Cor 6:11). Likewise he is called the "Spirit of Christ" (Rom. 8:9). Each name depicts a characteristic at the time expressed, and should not be construed to be different Spirits. The American Standard and other translations almost exclusively use the term "Spirit" instead of "Ghost" which I am told is an old English term for guest, as a guest we would have at our homes. The Holy Ghost would then be a guest within us as we are or become the temple of the Holy Ghost ( 1 Cor. 6:19)
As a Spirit person, he has the ability to do things that a person, as we know it, can do. Among these is the ability to know, "...even so, the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God (1 Cor. 2:11). He can know because He has a mind, "And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit..."( Rom. 8:27). The Bible says that the Holy Spirit did things as He wished. He had the ability to dispense various gifts as He willed" (1 Cor 12: 4-11). He has the characteristic of love (Rom. 15:30). The Bible says that " the Spirit speaketh expressly. He spoke on one occasion to Philip the evangelist (Act 8:29).He bears witness. Jesus, on one occasion said that "...he shall testify of me" (Jn.15:26). He has the ability to intercede in prayer for us, for the Bible says, "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself (himself; the better translation), maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered" (Rom.26). Some hold that the Holy Spirit is but a force, but let me further assure you that He is not just a force, but a person that can be grieved (Eph 4:30). People try to deceive the Holy Spirit (Acts 5:30). He can be blasphemed (Mk 3:29), and He may be insulted (Heb. 10:29). These are things which a force cannot do or receive.

In the building up of the church in the first century, the work of the Holy Spirit was to lead the apostles and preachers of Christ to prevent them from going astray in their preaching and writing. The Bible says, "But when they deliver you up take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you (Mt. 10:19,20). The apostle John in his gospel relays what Jesus taught saying, "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself: but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come" (Jn. 16:13).

The Bible speaks of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, and a lot of misunderstanding comes for a lack of proper study on this study. John the Baptist, on an occasion addressed an audience saying "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire" (Mt. 3:11) We see in the Bible, that the Apostles on the first Pentecost after Christ's resurrection, (Acts 2:1-4), and the household of Cornelius (Acts 10:44-47) were the only ones to be baptized with the Holy Spirit. Today, there is but one baptism, in water (Eph 4:4-5).

What do you know about “Fire Baptism?� Fire baptism is the eternal baptism of flames of Hell Fire and no one should seek that. It will be rendered at the Judgement of the Lord (2 Thess. 1:8-10). How did Christians manifest the Spirit? The Spirit was manifested many times in the scriptures, but only at the laying on of hands of the Apostles was He dispensed to the people (Acts 8:14-17; Acts 19:6) The Holy Spirit baptism is a wonderful subject but must be understood properly. Continue to seek the Lord, and have a great day.

JustAChristian

Ecumenicist

Originally posted by philosophizer

Biological life:

This is not an example of a free gift. It does meet one standard, that the receiving party does not have to do anything. But this is only because at the instance of the giving, there is not yet a receiving party. The gift creates the gift-getter. Refusal of the gift is not possible simply because there's no one there to refuse.

Citizenship by birth:

Citizenship is only a word unless one lives where one can receive the benifits from it. It is also a legal concept and, at birth, there are always other parties legally in charge of the wellfare of a child-- usually parents. If those parents choose to live somewhere lacking in the reach or knowledge of the benefits of that citizenship, then it is no gift at all.

Also, this gift is only applicable if the baby is born alive, which to some degree is up to the child itself, though not as a matter of will.

Adoption:

This also depends, to some degree, on others who are place in legal responsibility over the children. Other parties have the chance to refuse the "gift" which, by your standards, would make it not truly free.

But still, I question your reasonability on the use of the word "free." You seem to be able to only apply it to situations where the gift recipient is either non-existent or unable, physically, mentally, and legally to exersize her or her will.

Er, uh, no, he was just giving examples where absolutely no
effort is required on the part of the recipient, good ones at that.

Life is a gift. To be born in America is a gift. Unconditional love is
a gift.Eyes, ears, noses that function are gifts. Music is a gift.
If you want to get scriptural, there are Spiritual gifts. Talents
given to individuals who cannot refuse them, they just are.

You'll have to do better than this to argue this one.

djm

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Our connection to Christ is not based on the law of God that one finds in the OT [Leviticus]. It is based on the law of the Spirit. God's grace. Water baptism is a contingent of the OT law, not of the law of grace. Christ taught that the law was part of the plan, because it was, at the time He walked the earth. And it was meant to be, because Israel was meant to evangelize the world. But, as you and I both know, Israel rejected the Messiah. So they were cut away, as the fig tree in Christ's parable. So God took salvation to the Gentiles, apart form the law. Apart from circumcision, and baptism.

As for the verse I pointed out didn't have the word baptism in it, your response should have been that baptism was in tihe context, because it was in the previous verses. I was showing that you took a verse out of context, and used it when it didn't help you, because it was out of context. But you still have not shown that water baptism is what most of these verses are talking about, even when they do use the word baptism.

Your use of Paul? The context of the verses show that he was filled with the Holy Spirit, so the baptism in those verses is baptism in the Spirit.

philosophizer

Originally posted by Dave Miller

Er, uh, no, he was just giving examples where absolutely no
effort is required on the part of the recipient, good ones at that.

Life is a gift. To be born in America is a gift. Unconditional love is
a gift.Eyes, ears, noses that function are gifts. Music is a gift.
If you want to get scriptural, there are Spiritual gifts. Talents
given to individuals who cannot refuse them, they just are.

You'll have to do better than this to argue this one.

djm

I agree that all those things can be called gifts. I was trying to use some of Zak's own logic on these examples. I do agree, for the sake of reasonableness, that his examples can be called gifts-- and free ones at that.

It's just a little silly that the only applications of the word "free" he will seem to accept are ones where the recipient doesn't exist or is unable to express their will.

Aimiel

Either he was being deliberately fecetious, or he has realized that his premise was too foolish to continue to defend it.