why own a gun?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
A .410 shotgun makes a great assualt weapon for pheasants and a .22 rifle is great for killing tin cans and empty pop bottles.

Crow

And a .454 Colt New Service, AKA Crow's dresser drawer gun #1, is an excellent weapon for home/personal protection. Unless you live in an area where pheasants, tin cans, and bottles are known to commit assault.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brother Willi

i understand that part about why you bought them Nori.
i did the same
we lived in a trailer park
i worked nights, so i bought Daisy (my wife) a gun for protection.

did i trust in God when i did this?
Do you lock your doors when you go to bed at night? Do you encourage your wife to do so if you are gone at night or at any time?

C

cattyfan

Do you lock your doors when you go to bed at night? Do you encourage your wife to do so if you are gone at night or at any time?

there are plenty of things people do or use every day for safety: child-proof caps, seat belts, goggles when welding, closed doors while driving a car, shoes when outside in below zero weather, immunizations against deadly diseases or medications to treat illnesses...

Does this mean all the people who do these things don't trust in God???

Conversely, if we don't do these things and end up hurt or dead, then is God untrustworthy?

What an odd premise.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

i understand that part about why you bought them Nori.
i did the same
we lived in a trailer park
i worked nights, so i bought Daisy (my wife) a gun for protection.

did i trust in God when i did this?

we also got a black lab, named him Sarge, one of the smartest dogs we ever had.
when he was a pup, he loved to chew on stuff
sometimes id come home, and Daisy would be sittin on the kitchen table, Sarge loved to bite at her ankles:chuckle:

Well, now, having a gun is like belonging to the Lion's club or the moose lodge or something. A bunch of friends go shooting together. I'm probably the only sober person there. But, I still have fun. :chuckle:

You already know that I have dogs. I'd hate to have to live without them now.

Crow

Originally posted by Gerald

The truly effective gun owner doesn't need to brag...:think:

Not for defense purposes, of course not.

But for status points in the brotherhood of gun nuts, you MUST brag. Otherwise, how will people know that their gun collections stink compared to yours? :chuckle:

brother Willi

interesting

when i ask "did i trust in God when i did this?"

you answer with
there are plenty of things people do or use every day for safety: child-proof caps, seat belts, goggles when welding, closed doors while driving a car, shoes when outside in below zero weather, immunizations against deadly diseases or medications to treat illnesses...
while it is true , these are also looked at as safety issues.

do any of these bring harm because we do them?

C

cattyfan

the question appears to be, "Is protecting yourself a demonstration of a lack of faith in God?" That is to what we were responding. How is protecting ourselves from harm against GOd?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Crow
But for status points in the brotherhood of gun nuts, you MUST brag. Otherwise, how will people know that their gun collections stink compared to yours? :chuckle:
Well, I don't have that sort of ego problem... ;)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gerald

The truly effective gun owner doesn't need to brag...:think:
...which is why everyone on TOL knows that you are full of hot air.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

do any of these bring harm because we do them?
Owning a gun brings harm?

Or are you referring to the harm done to the criminal who breaks into a gun-owner's home?

erinmarie

Turbo, just playing the Devil's Advocate here for a minute, (it also doesn't hurt that I know you well). Do you think you will purchase a gun when you have children? And also, do you feel you were inadaquately protected at your home growing up? In other words, do you think it was an error on the part of your parents that they never kept a gun in the house?
Just curious! ;)

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Turbo
...which is why everyone on TOL knows that you are full of hot air.
I don't recall ever having made a claim to the contrary... :chuckle:

If someone takes my more bellicose posts seriously, that is not my problem... :chuckle:

Crow

Originally posted by Turbo

Owning a gun brings harm?

Or are you referring to the harm done to the criminal who breaks into a gun-owner's home?

If you drop one on your toe, it really, really hurts.

As for the criminal, I feel no obligation to make provisions to provide for the on the job saftey needs of felons and assailants.

Crow

Originally posted by erinmarie

Turbo, just playing the Devil's Advocate here for a minute, (it also doesn't hurt that I know you well). Do you think you will purchase a gun when you have children? And also, do you feel you were inadaquately protected at your home growing up? In other words, do you think it was an error on the part of your parents that they never kept a gun in the house?
Just curious! ;)

I grew up in a house full of weapons. My father shot expert numerous times in the service, and taught me to shoot at an early age.

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
I think the point BW is tring to make is,what would Jesus do if in that situation?Would he pull out a gun and shoot a robber?