why own a gun?

brother Willi

Originally posted by Nineveh

If your neighbor's wife was about to be murdered, how far would you go to stop the criminal? Would you bother to do anything at all? Call the cops so they could clean up after? Take pictures? Use lethal force?

What would you expect of your neighbor if he was witness to your wife in the same situation?
i own no guns, so what to do:think:

stop them, but with words alone?

might work.

take out his knee with a well placed kick, he wont be able to walk or run after us.

if he has a gun or knife
if i get close enough, get myself on his gun/knife hand side, then he cant shoot/stab me, then take out his knee.

hows that sound?

brother Willi

Originally posted by Crow

It doesn't matter how they sound. You are deceitful and untruthful. Not to be trusted or believed.
you dont get it and thats ok.
didnt you say you were an addict?

if not, im sorry i misread somethin.

if so, you sounded just like that

Crow

Originally posted by brother Willi

you dont get it and thats ok.
didnt you say you were an addict?

if not, im sorry i misread somethin.

if so, you sounded just like that

Nice try at a redirect, bW. You are still deceitful and untruthful.

Nineveh

Merely Christian

i own no guns, so what to do:think:

The first murderer used a rock.

stop them, but with words alone?

might work.

It seems you are willing to bet your family's lives on it.

take out his knee with a well placed kick, he wont be able to walk or run after us.

if he has a gun or knife
if i get close enough, get myself on his gun/knife hand side, then he cant shoot/stab me, then take out his knee.

hows that sound?

It's good to know you would at least put forth some effort. What if it took taking his life to stop him from murdering your neighbor's wife?

brother Willi

Originally posted by Nineveh

The first murderer used a rock.

It seems you are willing to bet your family's lives on it.

It's good to know you would at least put forth some effort. What if it took taking his life to stop him from murdering your neighbor's wife?
i dont think i would, but it has never happened, so the honest answer is
i dont know.

i assume you dont wish it on me.

what would you do?

Crow

sound to me as you are

i did it to make a point.

you shootin blanks for fun?:D
Why would I choose to believe a provable liar?

It's like the boy who cried wolf. Lie enough times, and eventually no one believes you, whether you are being truthful or not.

Nineveh

Merely Christian

i dont think i would, but it has never happened, so the honest answer is
i dont know.

i assume you dont wish it on me.

what would you do?

I would love my neighbor as myself and to the best of my ability stop the evil doer, even if that means his life for his victim's.

About Cain not being put to death...

If from the time of Abel's murder to the Flood letting murderers go free had a positive impact on the hearts of men then God would not have noted:

"The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time."

Nor would He have changed the rule to kill the murderers as soon as Noah got off the boat.

Balder

Buddhism emphasizes non-violence and one of its central "commandments" is not to kill (not just not to murder, but not to kill), so I don't say this lightly:

I won't say that I would never kill someone in a crisis situation like the ones you all have been discussing, but I would certainly look for ways to incapacitate the person rather than killing them. An injury that knocks them unconscious or stops them from moving long enough to get away is always a possibility.

Buddhism teaches that it is a sin to kill, but if you kill without hatred then the consequences are not as bad for the killer than if the killing is done with malice. But some Buddhist teachers have also turned conventional morality on its head with this line of thinking:

If an act of killing leads inevitably to punishment or hell, it is sometimes better for the "spiritual" person to volunteer to take the punishment (even time in Hell) by killing a person who can't be stopped otherwise, especially if you know that by so doing you will prevent them from accumulating worse karma for themselves, and from causing terrible suffering and hardship to others.

The best solution, in Buddhist thinking, would be to stop the person from committing murder or rape and to imprison them in an environment where they actually have a chance to be reformed. But in some extreme circumstances, the moral and altruistic response would be to knowingly "accept" whatever negative karma or punishment may befall you for committing a single murder, if you can thereby stop someone from committing an even greater evil that will cause great longterm harm both to themselves and others.

Attention to the welfare even of the murderer plays a part in this "extreme-case" thinking ... attention that is notably absent in most "Christian" discussions of this issue on TOL.

Peace,
Balder

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
My life is on the line for any of my brothers and sisters,if nessasary i would use a gun to defend them.I would gladly risk my life for my family,brothers and sisters,neigbor or anyone in harms way.I cant think of a better way to die than laying your life down for someone elses,can you?

Crow

Originally posted by Jabez

My life is on the line for any of my brothers and sisters,if nessasary i would use a gun to defend them.I would gladly risk my life for my family,brothers and sisters,neigbor or anyone in harms way.I cant think of a better way to die than laying your life down for someone elses,can you?

I have a whole collection of guns. I've shot since I was about 4--I was so young I don't remember the first time. I have never shot another human being, and hope never to do so.

In defense of myself or family, I would shoot an attacker and kill him if necessary to defend. If I didn't have a gun, I'd use whatever is on hand, but I keep my guns loaded and accessable because the reality is that a 5'2" female is unlikely to stop someone bent on criminal assault effectively by other means. I am more likely to protect myself and my family effectively by using a firearm.

brother Willi

Why would I choose to believe a provable liar?

It's like the boy who cried wolf. Lie enough times, and eventually no one believes you, whether you are being truthful or not.
to crow, Billy, catty, all

the crackhead is now an ex-crackhead.

i come to you and say

i am sorry for the hell i must have put you through.

i understand now, you were doing your best to correct me, but my ears were closed.

PLEASE FORGIVE ME

now its up to you

will you forgive me, or hold this over me forever?

Crow

to crow, Billy, catty, all

the crackhead is now an ex-crackhead.

i come to you and say

i am sorry for the hell i must have put you through.

i understand now, you were doing your best to correct me, but my ears were closed.

PLEASE FORGIVE ME

now its up to you

will you forgive me, or hold this over me forever?

If you want to be forgiven, fine, you are. But what's your being an ex-crackhead have to do with your untruthfulness now? Nothing.

I do not believe you to be a truthful or credible person based upon your own words.

BB is credible.
SOTK is credible
Purex is credible, even if I think almost everything he believes is wrong.

Credibility isn't about crack, booze, drugs, or forgiveness.

Last edited:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Balder

Buddhism emphasizes non-violence and one of its central "commandments" is not to kill (not just not to murder, but not to kill), so I don't say this lightly:

I have no doubt.

I won't say that I would never kill someone in a crisis situation like the ones you all have been discussing, but I would certainly look for ways to incapacitate the person rather than killing them. An injury that knocks them unconscious or stops them from moving long enough to get away is always a possibility.

The law here in my state says something similar. If you can get away you must or it will be seen as murder rather than self defense (outside the home). I think most people would seek a way to remove the threat with minimal loss of life. Except maybe Gerald. ( :) )

Buddhism teaches that it is a sin to kill, but if you kill without hatred then the consequences are not as bad for the killer than if the killing is done with malice. But some Buddhist teachers have also turned conventional morality on its head with this line of thinking:

You understand there is distinction between murder and kill, so why not call them by them what they are instead of lumping two different things into one name?

If an act of killing leads inevitably to punishment or hell, it is sometimes better for the "spiritual" person to volunteer to take the punishment (even time in Hell) by killing a person who can't be stopped otherwise, especially if you know that by so doing you will prevent them from accumulating worse karma for themselves, and from causing terrible suffering and hardship to others.

I think my God has a better way. Don't murder, if you do know the government will take your life. (unfortunatly men refuse to follow God's ideas most of the time... )

If you accidentally or lawfully take a life you are not held accountable for their blood.

The best solution, in Buddhist thinking, would be to stop the person from committing murder or rape and to imprison them in an environment where they actually have a chance to be reformed.

Prison doesn't work. Has Charles Manson been "reformed"? He himself refuses all forms of available help.

But in some extreme circumstances, the moral and altruistic response would be to knowingly "accept" whatever negative karma or punishment may befall you for committing a single murder, if you can thereby stop someone from committing an even greater evil that will cause great longterm harm both to themselves and others.

Commiting a murder isn't the same as killing. Unless one repents of murder he will see hell after the government exacts justice. If they repent, the will be delivered from hell by their Savior after the government exacts justice.

Killing a murderer is not a sin. An example would be the executioners.

Attention to the welfare even of the murderer plays a part in this "extreme-case" thinking ... attention that is notably absent in most "Christian" discussions of this issue on TOL.

The welfare of the gulty murderer's soul can have one cure. Christ. He has until the end of his life to repent whether he knows the end will be in 3 days or he does not know the day of his death (usually of old age in prison).

Murder isn't something that is forgotten so easily. What is missed by the people who seek other "ways" than Christ is these people live, knowing daily, blood is on their hands. That is a hard burden to bear and an act that can not be undone. It is mercy to let someone like Andrea Yates* know her day and hour.

(*the last I heard she was starving herself to death and her husband has recently filed for divorce.)

brother Willi

If you want to be forgiven, fine, you are. But what's your being an ex-crackhead have to do with your untruthfulness now? Nothing.

I do not believe you to be a truthful or credible person based upon your own words.

BB is credible.
SOTK is credible
Purex is credible, even if I think almost everything he believes is wrong.

Credibility isn't about crack, booze, drugs, or forgiveness.
you see it as you wish crow

my words are honest, they are as i believe.

if you see fault in my words correct me as i do you.