Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

I was in and out of the house doing yardwork most of the day, and erin and I ended up talking about this over AIM. But I'll recap it here for everyone else.
Originally posted by erinmarie

Turbo, just playing the Devil's Advocate here for a minute, (it also doesn't hurt that I know you well). Do you think you will purchase a gun when you have children?
I already own a gun, but I don't really have it set up to use for defense right now. I would consider getting a pistol some day. It depends.

And also, do you feel you were inadaquately protected at your home growing up?
No.

In other words, do you think it was an error on the part of your parents that they never kept a gun in the house?
No.

The current trend of hiding/locking up the guns in an effort to prevent a kid from ever gaining acces to a gun and making guns taboo, and I don't think that's the best approach. I think the taboo will not only make messing with a gun more alluring, but it will also assure that they won't know how to handle one should they come across one (or seek one out).

I plan to teach my future kids how to shoot and how to safely and responsibly handle firearms. The same goes for other potentialy dangerous tools, such as my table saw and circular saw, and I intend to take a similar approach with them as well.

Context

Last edited by a moderator:

the Sibbie

I hope Turbo teaches me how to use his shotgun someday. :) I've heard it's like getting punched in the shoulder and would probably knock me over, so I'd probably only try it once. I prefer to use BB guns. They are fun for target pratice. Come to think of it, most of the camps I've been to have taught us how to use a gun and let us try a couple of shots.

Crow

Sibbie--

Get yourself a .357 pistol. You can buy target load .38's that aren't much kickier than a .22, but you can also shoot .357s if you want for self defense.

ShadowMaid

Originally posted by the Sibbie

I hope Turbo teaches me how to use his shotgun someday. :) I've heard it's like getting punched in the shoulder and would probably knock me over...

Well, it only feels that way if you're not holding it tight to your shoulder. Then it has punching room. :)

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Crow

Sibbie--

Get yourself a .357 pistol. You can buy target load .38's that aren't much kickier than a .22, but you can also shoot .357s if you want for self defense.
Thanks for the suggestion, Crow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.