Dr. Ben Carson performed medical research on 17 week old aborted fetal tissue

Tinark

While opining on the uselessness of fetal tissue research to Megyn Kelly Dr. Carson neglected to mention his own paper Colloid Cysts of the Third Ventricle: Immunohistochemical evidence for nonneuropithelial differentiation published in Hum Pathol 23:811-816 in 1992. The materials and methods describe using “human choroid plexus ependyma and nasal mucosa from two fetuses aborted in the ninth and 17th week of gestation.”

carson1.jpg

carson3.jpg

Yes, Dr. Ben Carson has done research on fetal tissue and published his findings. His name is on the paper so that means he had a substantive role in the research and supports the methods and findings.

https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/ben-carson-did-research-on-17-week-fetal-tissue/

musterion

Demonstrate it's the same Ben Carson M.D. The blog at your link doesn't. It also doesn't demonstrate that deliberately aborted babies were used. Note comment left at blog:

I graduated from medical school in the US around the same time as Dr. Carson. There were many babies who were born alive from age 20 weeks, or older. Usually only those babies older than 26 weeks survived. If we needed tissue, after securing permission from the parents, we would obtain it. The babies who didn’t survive were sent to the hospital morgue; oftentimes the parents wanted to give them a traditional burial.

I carry no water for Carson.

nikolai_42

I'm pretty sure (but could be corrected on this...) that "aborted fetuses" can also refer to naturally occurring abortions - i.e. miscarriages.

EDIT : Looks like the quote Musterion put up has already said that...and there is also a link in the comments section of the blog - a link outlining the NIH grant requirements for the studies. That link specifies "spontaneous abortions and ectopic pregnancies".

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's the same Carson.

People here will twist themselves into pretzels defending the guy.:yawn:

Granite

Hall of Fame
So use Google like a normal person and see for yourself.

Yes, it is that same Carson. Frankly this is kind of old news.

zoo22

So use Google like a normal person and see for yourself.

Yes, it is that same Carson. Frankly this is kind of old news.

If you had a link for that, it would already be posted.

It's the same Carson. There are plenty of links about it and they're easily available. Carson responded to this a couple of months ago. As Granite said, it's old news. You're ill-informed and you're lazy.

It's awesome that you're so ineffective at anything but thrashing around like some sort of weird angry squid.

Granite

Hall of Fame
There are plenty of links to it. Carson responded to this a couple of months ago. As Granite said, it's old news. You're ill-informed and you're lazy.

It's awesome that you're so ineffective at anything but thrashing around like some sort of weird angry squid.

He is such a four-star flake.:chuckle: :rotfl: :reals:

musterion

“The issue of fetal tissue has everything to do with how the tissue is acquired," he told MSNBC. "Killing babies and harvesting tissue for sale is very different than taking a dead specimen and keeping a record of it, which is exactly the source of the tissue used in our research.”

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
how about you gay little girls stop derailing this thread trying to insult musty and actually discuss the op?

have worked in pathology myself, i see nothing wrong with working on samples from people who weren't deliberately killed

republicanchick

/[/url][/QUOTE]

I heard he left a sponge in a young girl's head after surgery.. was distracted somehow..

but in any case,

I refuse to vote for someone just b/c the media gives said person WAY more time than the other good (as in pro life ) candidates

I don't care if my candidate is behind in the polls or not.. If he is right, he is getting my vote[/B][/FONT][/CENTER][/SIZE]

gcthomas

"spontaneous abortions and ectopic pregnancies" are not the same things as elective abortions. A spontaneous abortion is another term for miscarriage.

Carson didn't limit himself to the tissue from spontaneous abortions, as he made clear in this comment:
"To not use the tissue that is in a tissue bank, regardless of where it comes from, would be foolish. Why would anybody not do that?"​
(video clip here.)

He used tissue from elective abortions, since that material was in the tissue bank, and he doesn't mind.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This is what it boils down to: He's pro-life but has absolutely no problem using aborted corpses for research. Uh-huh.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's exactly what he did. If he had the courage of his convictions using aborted children for medical research would've never been an option for him.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It's exactly what he did. If he had the courage of his convictions using aborted children for medical research would've never been an option for him.

there's using aborted children for medical research and there's using children who are aborted for medical research

big difference

this is what it comes down to:

should we use murder victims for medical research?
or
should we murder people in order to use them for medical research?

musterion

there's using aborted children for medical research and there's using children who are aborted for medical research

big difference

this is what it comes down to:

should we use murder victims for medical research?
or
should we murder people in order to use them for medical research?

Slow down so GranGran can keep up with you.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Slow down so GranGran can keep up with you.

The only reason you guys are okay with Carson using the bodies of aborted infants for research is because he's Ben Carson. Anyone else and you'd be frothing.

When it comes to hypocrisy you guys are perfectly comfortable following any given leader. Shows the shallowness of your sincerity.