• yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I know little on the subjects, as much as I did in grade school but I will research some for this thread. Walt Disney and entire civilizations practice(d) preservation of the body.

Today it's being done by cryogenics to preserve either DNA, brains or the entire body I suppose.

Think of the implications in a science fiction sense, how profound it would be for a child to be told their DNA lived a life before and they are a copy starting a new life again. If one knew this at an early age just think how that might affect their outlook on everything.

It goes back to the Egyptians and almost all ancient peoples. Would YOU want to come back again ?

Last edited:

Muires

I don't want to come back. Just thinking of all the online passwords I'd need to reset gives me a headache.

fool

Hall of Fame
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_children

Snowflake children is a term used by organizations that promote the adoption of embryos left over from in vitro fertilisation to describe children that result, where the children's parents were not the original cell donors. These embryos are transferred to infertile couples via embryo adoption, although the legal process of taking ownership of an embryo differs from that of traditional adoption. According to a CBS News article dated July 28, 2005, the term "Snowflake" was coined by the first agency to provide the transfer service, Nightlight Christian Adoptions. Four-hundred-twenty-six children have been born from this program.[1]

musterion

I have kids so I've done passed on what God designed to be passed on. Besides...believers are to look forward to being freed from this flesh, not preserving it. I can't stand it so i can't wait.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have kids so I've done passed on what God designed to be passed on. Besides...believers are to look forward to being freed from this flesh, not preserving it. I can't stand it so i can't wait.

I agree, but what if somebody else takes your DNA and creates another copy of you ? I know it wouldn't be you, but the technology may be near.

musterion

I agree, but what if somebody else takes your DNA and creates another copy of you ? I know it wouldn't be you, but the technology may be near.

Trust me. Anyone who knows me doesn't want two.

What is the Antichrist turns out to be the 666th clone of someone?

Quincy

I wouldn't mind being cloned 5 or 10 years after I die, not at all. I know my own individual consciousness would probably not come back but I would be happy to know that there'd be another one of me running amok in the future.

I'm also a guy who would trade his organic arms for robotic, superhuman pistons of destruction as well, so yea. :chuckle:

gcthomas

As has been said already, cloning doesn't make a copy of you any more than an identical twin is a copy of you. And a clone born after your death will be raised in a different family and have different experiences so it will be a thoroughly different individual.

A child or sibling shares half of your variable DNA, so a clone which shares all of your DNA is just a child where you are effectively both mother and father, so it is twice as related to you as a brother or son.

Creepy, but no big deal ethically.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
As has been said already, cloning doesn't make a copy of you any more than an identical twin is a copy of you. And a clone born after your death will be raised in a different family and have different experiences so it will be a thoroughly different individual.

A child or sibling shares half of your variable DNA, so a clone which shares all of your DNA is just a child where you are effectively both mother and father, so it is twice as related to you as a brother or son.

Creepy, but no big deal ethically.

yeah, I thought that pretty much. Would it still have to be a sperm and egg cell fertilizing, or someday can they make an identical copy of somebody? But I know what you mean about the different life experiences and such.

gcthomas

yeah, I thought that pretty much. Would it still have to be a sperm and egg cell fertilizing, or someday can they make an identical copy of somebody? But I know what you mean about the different life experiences and such.

Cloning from a single cell is possible for many species, but for some reason primates, including humans, are very difficult to clone.

gcthomas

I"m also talking about people that think their original body can be preserved somehow by cryogenics or otherwise and revived for future use. like disney

View attachment 20585

Future resuscitation would most likely need future freezing techniques to avoid irreversible damage during the process, so current cryo facilities are almost certain to fail. I guess, though, that this almost it what some folks are relying on.