The Terrible God of Calvinism

Robert Pate

Banned
But at one point you were not willing, even though you were able. So your earlier point about Calvinism was incorrect.

Before I became a Christian I was hounded by the Holy Spirit, but I just simply dismissed it. I had a Christian wife that was a strong witness for Christ and his Gospel.

Nothing is correct about Calvinism, NOTHING!

NickCharles

Before I became a Christian I was hounded by the Holy Spirit, but I just simply dismissed it. I had a Christian wife that was a strong witness for Christ and his Gospel.

Nothing is correct about Calvinism, NOTHING!

Right. You were not willing. It had nothing to do with ability. That is what Calvinism teaches. So your claim that Calvinism teaches that you can't come unless chosen is incorrect.

Robert Pate

Banned
I did. Which is why I'm a Calvinist.

Calvinism was conceived by John Calvin, not the Bible.

There are many, many, scriptures that are not according to Calvinism.

If you are going to follow Calvinism you will have to deceive yourself and believe lies.

Robert Pate

Banned
Right. You were not willing. It had nothing to do with ability. That is what Calvinism teaches. So your claim that Calvinism teaches that you can't come unless chosen is incorrect.

God chose all of humanity in Jesus Christ.

Salvation has been provided for all, but it is not yours if you don't receive it, John 1:12.

NickCharles

God chose all of humanity in Jesus Christ.

Salvation has been provided for all, but it is not yours if you don't receive it, John 1:12.

Not relevant to what I said. We were discussing one of your claims against Calvinism, which I demonstrated was untrue.

NickCharles

If free will doesn't exist, how could he be?

Free choice exists. But we cannot chose against our nature. The scriptures clearly teach that man cannot please God in the flesh. But folks like Mr. Pate do not believe that. They think they can do at least one thing in the flesh that pleases God, and that is to believe. So he thinks the natural man can act contrary to his nature, which cannot be proven through scripture.

musterion

Not in the way synergists want.

No. It doesn't exist at all, in any reasonable sense of the word "free," if it is predetermined by our nature and cannot violate or contradict that nature. If, on the other hand, God "gives" you "free will," it is (according to Calvinism) only to do that which He has predetermined one will do, and His will cannot be thwarted by ours. In that case, your "free will" still isn't free.

You're not advocating will, you're advocating fatalism at best and puppetry at worst. Divinely orchestrated or mechanistically preprogrammed, what you call "will" isn't because it is not free. Maybe you're happy with that state of affairs, I don't know. But it makes the offer of the Gospel a lie, the stated reasons for damnation a lie, and God a liar.

NickCharles

No. It doesn't exist at all, in any reasonable sense of the word "free," if it is predetermined by our nature and cannot violate or contradict that nature. If, on the other hand, God "gives" you "free will," it is (according to Calvinism) only to do that which He has predetermined one will do, and His will cannot be thwarted by ours. In that case, your "free will" still isn't free.

You're not advocating will, you're advocating fatalism at best and puppetry at worst. Divinely orchestrated or mechanistically preprogrammed, what you call "will" isn't because it is not free.

That makes the offer of the Gospel a lie, and God a liar.

So you think you can act contradictory to your nature?