Theology Club: Prove All things

Danoh

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good – 1 Thess. 5:21

What one believes is sound, will be based on a premise they believe is sound.

To someone who holds Matthew 16:18’s “my church” refers to the Body of Christ, their assertions will appear sound to them because they are based on a premise they consider sound.

Mid-Acts reemerged out of the premise that Scripture alone was to be one’s final authority in all matters of faith (2 Tim. 3:16-17).

This resulted in the premise that there is ever a need for “rightly dividing the word of truth” 2 Tim. 2:15, as to who, what, when, where, why, and how, before one takes words literally too soon, or makes an assertion about any word, passage, or understanding.

This in turn, resulted in the premise that one would do well to always ask ‘this that I am asserting; is it consistent with Scripture’s overall narrative about these things?’

Jerry Shugart

This in turn, resulted in the premise that one would do well to always ask ‘this that I am asserting; is it consistent with Scripture’s overall narrative about these things?’

We should be like those from Berea who "were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so" (Acts 17:11).

So when we read that there are some on this forum who teach that those at the church at Rome were not saved when Paul wrote his epistle to them we should follow the Bereans and search the Scriptures to see whether what those people said about the church at Rome is true or not.

And it did not take long to determine that they were "wrong." After all, anyone with the slightest degree of spiritual discernment knows that Paul would not write these words to the unsaved:

"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us" (Ro.8:15-18).​

The idea that these words were written to the unsaved is preposterous. I started a thread on this very subject and many participated in the thread. And it is a fact that not even one person agreed with me that the idea that Paul wrote those words at Romans 8:15-18 to the unsaved is contrary to reason and common sense.

There are few true Bereans participating on this Mid-Acts Dispensational Forum.

glorydaz

To someone who holds Matthew 16:18’s “my church” refers to the Body of Christ, their assertions will appear sound to them because they are based on a premise they consider sound.

Mid-Acts reemerged out of the premise that Scripture alone was to be one’s final authority in all matters of faith (2 Tim. 3:16-17).

This resulted in the premise that there is ever a need for “rightly dividing the word of truth” 2 Tim. 2:15, as to who, what, when, where, why, and how, before one takes words literally too soon, or makes an assertion about any word, passage, or understanding.

Yep, consistent with Scripture's overall narrative....not one verse ripped out of context as a certain someone (not you) is so prone to do. :thumb:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yep, consistent with Scripture's overall narrative....not one verse ripped out of context as a certain someone (not you) is so prone to do. :thumb:
Danoh does alright, doesn't he.
Well, ya know, sometimes!
:cheers:

Danoh

... there is ever a need for “rightly dividing the word of truth” 2 Tim. 2:15, as to who, what, when, where, why, and how, before one takes words literally too soon, or makes an assertion about any word, passage, or understanding...

John 11:

11. These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Verse with verse as to who, what, when, etc.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
there is ever a need for “rightly dividing the word of truth” 2 Tim. 2:15, as to who, what, when, where, why, and how, before one takes words literally too soon, or makes an assertion about any word, passage, or understanding.

John 11:

11. These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Verse with verse as to who, what, when, etc.
And that's why you don't build a doctrine on one verse or word

Danoh

And that's why you don't build a doctrine on one verse or word

And yet, we all do, at some point or another, and more often then we care to admit.

One means of solving for this is to strive to observe ourselves as we respond to an understanding we find we differ on, attempting to remain curious about the differences in our understanding.

Ol foot in my own mouth, lol

Jerry Shugart

Yep, consistent with Scripture's overall narrative....not one verse ripped out of context as a certain someone (not you) is so prone to do.

Do you really believe that we cannot understand what Paul is saying here because these four verses are ripped out of context?:

"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us" (Ro.8:15-18).​

What do you see in the context which would make anyone believe that these words are written to unbelievers?

Danoh

Glorydaz and Tam, that this fool not derail this thread, with his usual "make this thread, my soapbox," please ignore him. Thanks.

glorydaz

Glorydaz and Tam, that this fool not derail this thread, with his usual "make this thread, my soapbox," please ignore him. Thanks.

Haha....I'm the one who has him on ignore. I might respond to someone who talks ABOUT him......a gal has got to have some fun. ;)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

i always get what you're saying, usually spot on. we need more of that here and in churches, explaining and analyzing thought processes. i guess i got upset because i felt like you were telling me things i knew. many people need that and i do too ! i took it as talking down, but you explain it for even new MAD enthusiasts to understand.

i can't always assume that others know how to read and process Romans - Philemon the same as me or other smarter folks here. good job, keep it up !!!!

Danoh

Lol, whoops, my mouse jumped off on its own and picked that little grey face. I thought that happened but ignored it, lol

Danoh

i always get what you're saying, usually spot on. we need more of that here and in churches, explaining and analyzing thought processes. i guess i got upset because i felt like you were telling me things i knew. many people need that and i do too ! i took it as talking down, but you explain it for even new MAD enthusiasts to understand.

i can't always assume that others know how to read and process Romans - Philemon the same as me or other smarter folks here. good job, keep it up !!!!

No problem; it goes with the territory of words without in person, facial expressions, tone of voice, etc., rapport, etc., to help indicate their sender's intended sense.

Jordan is really good at analyzing and explaining the Apostle Paul's thought process - the brother is just an artist at laying such things out.

Here, pull up a chair, grab yourself a great big, deep bowl, and get ready to feast on only the tip of what this very special brother refers to as "The Pauline Design for the Edification of the Believer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LQTsjaDGF4

The Christian Walk - Pastor Richard Jordan