In Post-Christian America, we worry about your holy book more than Sharia Law

Tinark

In Post-Christian America, secularists of all stripes worry about what your holy book (the Bible) says as much as you worry about Sharia law, and for the exact same reasons.

You want to impose the contents of that holy book on the rest of us. Kim Davis and her supporters represent the Christian Taliban in America, wanting their views of religion imposed via state law on the rest of us, and willing to even break laws when the law just doesn't suit you.

If you worry about Sharia law, you should easily be able to understand why the rest of us worry about you and your Holy Book far more, given that your numbers in the country are orders of magnitude greater than Muslims.

WizardofOz

"Kim Davis and her supporters represent the Christian Taliban in America"

You don't think you may be overstating the comparison just a little?

Davis was a blip in the 24-hour news cycle for about a week. The law has been enforced and gays are getting their marriage licenses.

The Taliban? Really?

Tinark

"Kim Davis and her supporters represent the Christian Taliban in America"

You don't think you may be overstating the comparison just a little?

Davis was a blip in the 24-hour news cycle for about a week. The law has been enforced and gays are getting their marriage licenses.

The Taliban? Really?

To the extent that they want to impose the contents of their holy book on the rest of us, yes. The goal/vision is similar, a Christian (Islamic) theocracy as determined by the contents of their holy book imposed on everyone in the country whether they want it or not. Where they differ is the tactics they are willing to use to attempt to realize that vision. In that respect, the Taliban is far worse with their willingness to use violence and insurrection.

However, the fact that these types of Christians are losing the battle makes me worry about Sharia law not one iota, given that their numbers, even in Europe, are far fewer. Muslims only represent 4% of the European population, and less than half of that want to impose Sharia on the entire society. In the US, the numbers are under 1% and much less than half want to impose Sharia on the rest of society.

WizardofOz

To the extent that they want to impose the contents of their holy book on the rest of us, yes.

That's not really what happened though, is it?

The goal/vision is similar, a Christian (Islamic) theocracy as determined by the contents of their holy book imposed on everyone in the country whether they want it or not.

Or, in one county of KY for about one week.

Kim Davis one woman. She is going to start a theocracy movement in America?

Where they differ is the tactics they are willing to use to attempt to realize that vision. In that respect, the Taliban is far worse with their willingness to use violence and insurrection.

Yes, Kim Davis went to jail. It's not that gays who came in for their marriage license were the ones being incarcerated.

Unless you live in that county and happened to go get a same-sex marriage license in that one week, I wouldn't worry too much about it, much less compare the actions of one county clerk to the Taliban :rolleyes:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The reason residents of the world are getting turned off by Christians and Muslims:

--They are both bigoted

--They are both homophobic

--They are both elitists

--They are both arrogant elitists.

--They are patriarchal

--They are hypocritical

--They feast on otherworldly fantasies of killing and punishment.

--They take the sacred language of their faith texts literally.

--And they both don't play well with others.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
The reason residents of the world are getting turned off by Christians and Muslims:

--They are both bigoted

--They are both elitists

--They are patriarchal

--They are hypocritical

Jesus does not endorse those qualities or practice.

Jesus is Prince of peace.

Granite

Hall of Fame

--They are both bigoted

--They are both elitists

--They are patriarchal

--They are hypocritical

It's fortunate that the state of Israel exists to provide a buffer between these two sides, because united or at least sympathetic with each other we'd be in extremely serious trouble.

A Christian-Islamic pact or understanding of sorts would be bad, bad news.

Caledvwlch

It's fortunate that the state of Israel exists to provide a buffer between these two sides, because united or at least sympathetic with each other we'd be in extremely serious trouble.

A Christian-Islamic pact or understanding of sorts would be bad, bad news.

Good thing they can't even agree internally. :jazz:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned

--They are both bigoted

--They are both elitists

--They are patriarchal

--They are hypocritical

:yawn: 2 Co 4:4

As a reminder aikido7 is number 45 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

Last edited:

Mocking You

In Post-Christian America, secularists of all stripes worry about what your holy book (the Bible) says as much as you worry about Sharia law, and for the exact same reasons.

You want to impose the contents of that holy book on the rest of us. Kim Davis and her supporters represent the Christian Taliban in America, wanting their views of religion imposed via state law on the rest of us, and willing to even break laws when the law just doesn't suit you.

If you worry about Sharia law, you should easily be able to understand why the rest of us worry about you and your Holy Book far more, given that your numbers in the country are orders of magnitude greater than Muslims.

This is hilarious. Ruling after ruling from the Supreme Court on down over the years is removing the Bible from secular society. Christians are losing influence at all levels of government. Sure there might be some Christians that practice civil disobedience but that is a time honored method of protest, and they have to live with the consequences.

Christian Taliban? Do you see any Christians going around tearing down secular architecture, destroying historical artifacts. Are there Christians that go into schools and murder 100+ students? How about Christians that execute people that leave their faith? Prohibit women from voting, driving, and getting an education?

Your premise is flawed.

And no, I'm not worried about Sharia law.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
This is hilarious. Ruling after ruling from the Supreme Court on down over the years is removing the Bible from secular society. Christians are losing influence at all levels of government. Sure there might be some Christians that practice civil disobedience but that is a time honored method of protest, and they have to live with the consequences.

Christian Taliban? Do you see any Christians going around tearing down secular architecture, destroying historical artifacts. Are there Christians that go into schools and murder 100+ students? How about Christians that execute people that leave their faith? Prohibit women from voting, driving, and getting an education?

Your premise is flawed.

just a quick thought you triggered in me MY, i bet most if not ALL of the 'shooters' in America (mass killings, school shootings, theaters, churches etc.) were NOT Christians. that's right, i contend that all the mass shootings and mass murder in general are acts perpetrated by SECULAR NON-CHRISTIANS

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

--They are both bigoted

--They are both elitists

--They are patriarchal

--They are hypocritical

speak for yourself. so is every other person in the world. point ?

Caledvwlch

just a quick thought you triggered in me MY, i bet most if not ALL of the 'shooters' in America (mass killings, school shootings, theaters, churches etc.) were NOT Christians. that's right, i contend that all the mass shootings and mass murder in general are acts perpetrated by SECULAR NON-CHRISTIANS

That's interesting. Seems like sort of a baseless assumption. Kind of smells like someone is regurgitating Bill O'Reilly a little bit.

Mocking You

point is most churchgoers are not following Jesus' teachings.

they are misrepresenting Jesus to the world.

213kjo2.jpg

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
In Post-Christian America, we worry about your holy book more than Sharia Law

I don't think so

they worry about the pope more than islam
and
that is the truth

Tinark

Your premise is flawed.

As I mentioned, the Taliban's tactics are far worse, but their visions for society have a lot of similarities, and both are equally scary. I mean just look at the type of society people like Nick, Christian Liberty, aCW, Knight, Stripe, among others on this board, envision for the ideal US and global society. Their numbers in this country are _far_ greater than Muslims who wish to impose Sharia law on the rest of us in this country.

And also, when you mention that you are not worried about Sharia law, that is partially my point. I don't worry too much Christian theocracy at the moment since it's influence is waning (although we have to be ever vigilant lest it creep back, and there are still plenty of pockets in the US where it does rear its ugly head in local and state government), at the same time, I worry about Sharia law _far less_. To the extent that atheists and secularists do worry about the fundamentalist Christian right, those Christians should be able to relate to that perspective seeing as how it is, in reality, the far bigger threat in our society in comparison to Sharia law, of which many of those Christians claim to be worried about.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

She didnt want to impose anything on someone else, she wanted her name "authorizing" them OFF. (which is the language used in kentucky state law requiring it on licenses in all counties in the state in the name of the clerk of those counties regardless of who signs them- its preprinted on them)

Her names off like she wanted (they now issue them in the name of the county there instead of her name), the queers got their license, she still has a job, so what are you crying about?