Spammers wasteland

Spammers wasteland

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
In society we use certain words however, we don't know why or where they came from? They just somehow become part of our "Vernacular." Oftentimes, one person will say something new or different and suddenly everybody else picks up on it and it becomes a part of everyday language. I noticed many years ago EVERYBODY started saying: "Oh well" and they all said it the same exact way: Ohhh well. Everyone used the same infliction when using that term. You'd hear it everywhere in Southern California. The years went by and suddenly everybody stopped using the phrase. It didn't seem to have a long "Shelf life" for some reason? In the 60s people were saying: "It's Cool" or "Right on" you don't hear those terms anymore. It's interesting how terms and vernacular change over the years. Remember the 50s "Daddy-O?"

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Has anybody heard any up and coming different words or phrases being used lately? Today we usually derive our "Urban language" from movie statements. Examples: "I'll be back!" or "Go ahead, make my day!" Another would be: "We gotta get a bigger boat!" The vernacular changes as does society.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The BIGGEST things happening during the 50s was, Hula-hoops, Drive-in movies, soda shops, and Rock and Roll. Today, the soda shops, drive-in movies, hula-hoops and old fashioned Rock and Roll are just a distant memory.

When I was a kid, in the 50s I was lucky enough to have a T.V. in my room. The Black and White screen was about 12 inches in height and width. I'd watch "77 Sunset Strip," and old Sci-Fi and horror movies from the 30s and 40s on that old set. What a time. Thomas Wolfe commented: "You can't go home again." He sure was right about that.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The BIGGEST things happening during the 50s was, Hula-hoops, Drive-in movies, soda shops, and Rock and Roll. Today, the soda shops, drive-in movies, hula-hoops and old fashioned Rock and Roll are just a distant memory.

When I was a kid, in the 50s I was lucky enough to have a T.V. in my room. The Black and White screen was about 12 inches in height and width. I'd watch "77 Sunset Strip," and old Sci-Fi and horror movies from the 30s and 40s on that old set. What a time. Thomas Wolfe commented: "You can't go home again." He sure was right about that.

When I was a kid, the movies on Saturday night's "Creature Feature" and the daytime show "Dark Shadows" were considered scary. Archie Bunker was affectionately referring to his favorite son in law as "meathead" .... and Carol Burnett and Gang were trying their hardest to keep in character during their skits and not burst out laughing at Tim Conway.

radind

I recall when my grandfather had the first TV on the block. I got to see the primitive cartoons on Saturday mornings. My family finally got a TV , but never had more than one.
What a different world we live in now.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Has anybody heard any up and coming different words or phrases being used lately? Today we usually derive our "Urban language" from movie statements. Examples: "I'll be back!" or "Go ahead, make my day!" Another would be: "We gotta get a bigger boat!" The vernacular changes as does society.
If so, they should put them in my thread - Sayings and Catch Phrases

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
My favorite toy in 1962 was a "Robot Commando." Google that toy, it was quite a creation. The songs on the radio at that time were sung by Del Shannon, Frankie Valli, and my favorite song in 1962 was, "The Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Pickett. I got the pleasure of meeting and speaking with him in the early 2000s, I believe it was. Both Vincent Price and Boris Karloff did their renditions of Pickett's song. The day I met him he got up on the stage and sang his most famous creation: The Monster Mash. Which can still be heard, especially around Halloween. Pickett died in 2007.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I recall when my grandfather had the first TV on the block. I got to see the primitive cartoons on Saturday mornings. My family finally got a TV , but never had more than one.
What a different world we live in now.

Yeah, a TV in every room and around our wrist as well. These days TVs are throw aways. Gone are the little TV shops and drug store machines where you could "Test" your TV tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.