A medical doctor witnesses an icon of Mary weeping tears -- has no doubts.

vanityofvanitys

This report is not for those who refuse to believe. It is for those who want to believe. There is no scientific or natural explanation for the scores, if not hundreds, of weeping statues and paintings of Mary or Jesus which have occurred even in these last 50 years. No explanations! And yet, the skeptic does not want to believe. They seek out a hoax, and yes there are a few, and they point to the hoax as the answer to all the other ones they have chosen not to investigate. Sorry, you have satisfied only yourself with that hope. The wooden statue of Mary in a convent in Akita, Japan wept tears of blood and oil on 101 occasions before a host of eye witnesses, plus it was video taped and shown on Japanese TV back in 1973. No one has come forward with any scientific or natural explanation. So the world moves on and chooses to forget. Why? Because they do not want to know or admit that God is real and speaking to us through His mother. Happens all the time!

Nor will the skeptic accept the words of a scientist or medical doctor when that individual is the eye witness and says this sign is from God. Because now science is not on their side, so once again, they choose to ignore. In this recent article below, a well known doctor of medicine has given testimony to the day he visited a small Albanian Catholic church in Chicago and witnessed for himself the copious weeping of tears from a large painting of Mary and Jesus. This man is not likely to lie or to get all excited and embellish what he saw. He is calm and rational in his words. What he saw is what many thousands of others witnessed over a period of months and then years later once again. Tears of oil or myrrh (the church refused to have it analyzed because they considered the tears of the Virgin to be sacred and had no interest in them being handled in anything but a sacred way – I agree) poured down from the Virgin’s eyes many, many, many times. A hoax? Sure. Why do it on scores of occasions for many years if one did not want the hoax uncovered? No. It is a miracle. That word everyone wants to laugh away at. Sorry. God does not need to listen to what the world demands. He does as He pleases. To the faithful, it bolsters their faith. To the skeptic, a direct challenge to their senses.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

http://ocl.org/rouman-a-dr-who-believes-in-miracles/

Rouman: a Dr. Who Believes in Miracles

Dr. Rouman, anesthesiologist --- “What I personally observed in that little church in Chicago was not an illusion. It was not a matter of whether there were a few tears that had wetted an icon. There was material enough streaming from the Virgin’s eyes to have been collected and used to anoint hundreds of persons over several months’ time. As for skeptics, there were obviously some. To them, all I can say is that those who need tidy and finite answers to metaphysical questions or inexplicable religious phenomena will not be satisfied until such time they have had a religious experience of their own. Only then will the need for explanations be put aside.”

August 21, 2015

Source: The National Herald BY CONSTANTINOS E. SCAROS

HARTFORD, CT – The National Herald’s recent article “Greek-Americans and Miracles over the Decades” (Aug. 8) prompted Dr. James Rouman, a retired anesthesiologist and the author of two novels, to share is own firsthand account of a miracle that occurred almost 30 years ago, yet remains fresh in his mind and left a profound effect on him.

“I was attending a medical meeting at an O’Hare Airport Hotel in March 1987,” Dr. Rouman told TNH, “when I learned of a tearing (weeping) icon at an obscure Albanian Orthodox Church in Chicago, and decided to see for myself what the fuss reported in the newspapers and on television was all about.

“Arriving at the church, I saw a line of people waiting to enter the building in front of which several tour busses were parked,” he continued. “For over four months, more than a quarter million people from as far away as Ceylon, Sri Lanka, England, Rome, and Egypt had made the pilgrimage to see what for many was believed to be a miracle.

“On the afternoon of my visit, a church official remarked that the icon was weeping more than usual, and that the amount of material coming from the eyes of the Virgin Mary was sufficient to permit those present to be anointed if they so desired. Soon it would be my turn to witness the unforgettable. Approaching the icon, I recognized it to be a painting on canvas over wood, standing about five feet tall, three feet wide, and in colors primarily of red and gold. One could see that the icon positioned on the iconostasis was in no way supported from behind or touching anything other than the screen, itself, of which it was a part. As I stood before the icon, I saw a liquid substance falling directly from the pupils of the Virgin Mary’s eyes, over her face and clothing, reaching finally to the bottom of the icon.

“There the exudate was carefully collected, placed in a small silver bowl and taken to several priests, who while uttering words of blessing and prayer, anointed those who came forward. At that moment I knew I was witnessing not just a religious phenomenon, but an awesome and miraculous event unlike anything I could have ever imagined. And although I stood in wonder, I felt transformed by the experience as the tears were placed on my forehead.”

NATURAL AND SUPERNATURAL

A graduate of Northwestern University School of Medicine in Chicago, Rouman interned at the Texas Medical Center in Houston and trained as an anesthesiologist at Hartford Hospital and McGill University. His entire career has been as a staff member of Hartford Hospital, the largest tertiary care center between Boston and New York City. Rouman was also a faculty member of the University of Connecticut Health Center.

How does Rouman reconcile all the science and medicine that he learned, practiced, and taught over the years, with a phenomenon that cannot be explained by those disciplines?
“A great physician or scientist, if honest with himself,” Rouman explains, “is humbled by what little he knows as a function of what there is to know – not just of the human body, but of nature itself, of the universe in which he exists. The infinite order of it all, the intricacy of design of all existing matter, whether alive or inert, boggles the mind of anyone giving expression to such thoughts.

“Through it all, the issue of origin, of ontology, is brought to bear. There had to be a beginning. There had to be a superhuman architect to have fashioned the universe in all of its unfathomable complexity. To me and to the physicians and scientists I’ve known and respected during my career, that answer can only be God, however expressed by any given person. Under such a premise, it is not hard to reconcile the natural with the supernatural. Things can and do occur for which we have no immediate or rational explanation And just what does, for example, constitute a rational explanation? After all, we learn in science that too often today’s wisdom is merely tomorrow’s folly.

As physicians and scientists,” Rouman continues, “we are taught to observe carefully and to record accurately what we see, which in turn determines, to a large extent, what we do and how we react.”

WAS IT REAL?

All that aside, how can the rest of us, who weren’t there be convinced that what Dr. Rouman experienced was really a weeping icon, and not some sort of hoax?

“What I personally observed in that little church in Chicago was not an illusion. It was not a matter of whether there were a few tears that had wetted an icon. There was material enough streaming from the Virgin’s eyes to have been collected and used to anoint hundreds of persons over several months’ time. As for skeptics, there were obviously some. To them, all I can say is that those who need tidy and finite answers to metaphysical questions or inexplicable religious phenomena will not be satisfied until such time they have had a religious experience of their own. Only then will the need for explanations be put aside.”

He continued: one might ask why God chooses to make His presence felt in places far and wide, often mysteriously and beyond comprehension. Why is it that in a small Albanian church the Virgin Mary wept tears? For some people these and similar questions call for plausible answers. To me they are irrelevant. Having seen the tears of the Theotokos, I no longer doubt that God reveals himself at times and in ways that are difficult to understand. I don’t need an explanation for what I witnessed. I know what I saw.”

It would have been considered a “sacrilege if the tears were given up for analysis,” Rouman explains. But why? If those who submitted them for analysis really believed, then what could be better than a good faith effort to show everyone else the tears were real – through whatever evidence they needed to believe, even if that were chemical analysis?

The sacrilege, as Rouman explained, would not have been in the concept of a chemical analysis, but rather in the act. “The ecclesiastic authorities of Chicago prevented the chemical analysis of the material coming from the Virgin’s eyes for theological reasons, the thinking being that the substance represented part of the Virgin’s body and should therefore be handled with same respect as would be shown the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist.”

As for what it looked and felt like, Rouman said “the material was not clear fluid likened to tears, but rather a more thick substance akin to myrrh.”

Rouman says the experience further strengthened his faith in God, and make him more open to believing that other similar reported phenomena to be true.

ABOUT DR. ROUMAN

Dr. Rouman was born in Wisconsin to parents from Metamorphosis, a village in the Southern Laconian region of Monemvasia – the family name, “Roumanis,” was shortened at Ellis island by one of his uncles, who had arrived to the United States earlier.

His first novel, Underwater Dreams, is semi-autobiographical in nature and was written as a tribute to that cohort of Greeks, who while finding themselves in remote cities and areas of America, and without the support of a Greek community, church, schools and cultural organizations, managed to maintain their Orthodox faith, language, and traditions, all the while accomplishing great things. “My two siblings and I were home schooled in the Greek language by my mother, who procured material for that purpose from Greece. One of my brothers is also a physician, while the other became a distinguished professor of Greek and Latin,” he says.

His second novel, Uncertain Journey, received high marks from the reviewer Kirkus. The book “is a story in which I attempt to put a face on one of the major and troublesome societal issues of our day, namely, that of the illegal immigrant, through the telling of the plight of an Albanian alien living in the shadows of our society and within a well-established Greek-American community.”

Finally, regarding the miracle he witnessed in 1987, “I urge your readers to go on line and google ‘Weeping Icon, St. Nicholas Albanian Orthodox Church, Chicago,’ where numerous detailed accounts of the phenomenon can be accessed,” Dr. Rouman says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New York Times reports on the weeping painting in the Chicago Church
http://www.nytimes.com/1986/12/22/us/weeping-virgin-icon-draws-throngs-to-chicago.html

Another article on the painting and a web site with numerous weepings
http://www.visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping48.htm

Brief summaries of numerous documented weeping images of Mary and Jesus
http://miracles.mcn.org/iconsarchive.html

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
This report is not for those who refuse to believe. It is for those who want to believe. There is no scientific or natural explanation for the scores, if not hundreds, of weeping statues and paintings of Mary or Jesus which have occurred even in these last 50 years. No explanations! And yet, the skeptic does not want to believe. They seek out a hoax, and yes there are a few, and they point to the hoax as the answer to all the other ones they have chosen not to investigate. Sorry, you have satisfied only yourself with that hope. The wooden statue of Mary in a convent in Akita, Japan wept tears of blood and oil on 101 occasions before a host of eye witnesses, plus it was video taped and shown on Japanese TV back in 1973. No one has come forward with any scientific or natural explanation. So the world moves on and chooses to forget. Why? Because they do not want to know or admit that God is real and speaking to us through His mother. Happens all the time!...
Ac 17:22, KJV :eek:linger: I've got a bridge to sell you, CaTHolic. :freak: Jud 11 :burnlib:

HisServant

So many idol worshipers...

"It is for those who want to believe."... and there is the problem with this article. When you want to believe something, you will find it.

Also, a medical doctor would not be an authority to recognize on this.

vanityofvanitys

If I were a demon, :reals: I'd mess with you, too :eek:linger: CaTHolic :freak: (2 Co 11:14). :rotfl: Good fun (2 Thess 2:9). :eek:

Here is a little caution for you and for the poster known as "his servant."

The Sin against the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 12
And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

[Jesus knew their thoughts and responded] Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

-------------------

You blithely choose to blaspheme the sacredness of the Holy Eucharist, the sacrament of Confession, the holiness of the Virgin Mother, and the manifestations of God through His countless saints and miracles. Because they are of the Catholic Church. When you do so, you take great risks. Because purgatory is also very real, and very Biblical. (And so is hell --- which you apparently think can be avoided by uttering a couple of words at one altar call and than can sin away with impunity.)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.
(Matthew 24:24 NKJV)​

vanityofvanitys

For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.
(Matthew 24:24 NKJV)​

Surely that could never include you... just Catholics.

You guys are just too holy and certain of what you know. Meanwhile the Church which has been around since Jesus resurrection, established by Jesus Christ, the one given "the keys of the kingdom" in Matthew 18, the one to whom Christ said "whatsoever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven" --- that is the Church who is all screwed up. And those protestants who can sin away and think they have a direct flight to heaven upon death, they are the chosen ones.

I guess God never provided any signs and wonders since Jesus' time to bolster the faith of the believers? Because it sure seems like all of the major miracles and apparitions are found in the Catholic Church amongst Catholic children (Fatima, Lourdes, etc) and protestants apparently are not given any outward signs.

So they conclude, all signs are of the devil except when one of ours gets healed.

HisServant

Here is a little caution for you and for the poster known as "his servant."

The Sin against the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 12
And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

[Jesus knew their thoughts and responded] Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

-------------------

You blithely choose to blaspheme the sacredness of the Holy Eucharist, the sacrament of Confession, the holiness of the Virgin Mother, and the manifestations of God through His countless saints and miracles. Because they are of the Catholic Church. When you do so, you take great risks. Because purgatory is also very real, and very Biblical. (And so is hell --- which you apparently think can be avoided by uttering a couple of words at one altar call and than can sin away with impunity.)

Why would the Holy Spirit do such a thing? He works through PEOPLE.. not through inanimate objects, so they can be worshiped.

vanityofvanitys

Why would the Holy Spirit do such a thing? He works through PEOPLE.. not through inanimate objects, so they can be worshiped.

Did the Bible tell you that?

The Bible also spoke of the authenticity of the Holy Eucharist and of confession and purgatory. Somehow that gets conveniently set aside as well.

As far as objects go, there are many holy relics. However, NONE of them are ever objects of worship. None. Even the Catholic Church teaches that the Virgin Mary is to be reverenced, glorified, even adored --- but not worshipped. However, it also says if Jesus can glorify and honor His mother, so can we. So should we. "From this day forward, all generations shall call me blessed" said the humble maid, no doubt the words given to her by God.

But since so many are trying so hard to distance themselves from heavenly revelations, I ask about this event (below). There is no inanimate object, only three young shepherd children praying their rosary every day. You really think God would use such innocents and his Holy Mother to be used by Satan this way? Unthinkable. In fact, to suggest this is of the devil is what I would refer to as "blaspheming the Holy Spirit," i.e., calling that which is of God to be of Beelzebub.

-------------------------------------------

Fatima,Portugal 1917 --- Three shepherd children under 10 kept insisting the Virgin Mary was visiting them. Then on July 13 she appears again only to the children even though many townsfolks are present. Mary says to the children tell them a great miracle will occur on October 13 so all would know it is God speaking. So on October 13th 70,000 people are present in this Portugese countryside sitting in a downpour and muddy ground waiting for this alleged miracle. The three shepherd children arrive around noon, say the rosary, and then Lucia points to the sky. The gray clouds part and the sun bursts on to the scene easily stared at by all without causing eye damage. The sun defies cosmic laws and starts to twirl, bounce and dance. It shoots off multi colored rays across the whole landscape changing the color of the people's faces, blue, green, yellow etc. This astounds the crowd and many are now on their knees. It last about 12 minutes and then the sun grows in great size, turns blood red and charges the earth. All are terrified, but just as suddenly the sun stops and recedes to its proper state and all is peaceful. The very muddy ground and drenched clothes are bone dry!

No one can explain what just happened even the marxist journalists for Lisbon paper 'O Seculo' there presumably to mock this prophecy are dumfounded and reluctantly report the truth in their paper. Only a small number claim they did not see anything (God is free to do as he pleases), but the vast majority all claim to have seen the very same thing! This solar miracle is also seen by a number of eye witnesses within a 25 radius of the gathering. Countless testimonies are recorded on film and in print including those of secular scientists and non-religious. It is clearly a miracle sent by God to bolster the faith of the faithful and challenge the skeptics. An exact prediction 90 days in advance by three shepherd children, ages 7 – 9, comes true the very day they said there would be a miracle!

One other very noteworthy item. In July the child Lucia asks the Virgin Mary if her recently deceased aunt was in heaven. Lucia told the others that Mary told her their aunt was guilty of many unrepentant sins and would be in purgatory for a very long time. In purgatory! Or was 9 year old Lucia so clever and devious to make this part up?

HisServant

Did the Bible tell you that?
The Bible also spoke of the authenticity of the Holy Eucharist and of confession and purgatory. Somehow that gets conveniently set aside as well.

No, the Bible speaks of communion being a time set aside AFTER A MEAL to share a cup of wine and bread in remembrance of Christ. We are also warned not to partake of communion without making sure everyone partaking was fed before hand. None of the Apostles taught transubstantiation or had their followers stand in line to eat a wafer dipped in wine. They met in their homes and ate together and set aside some time afterwards to remember Jesus till his return.

As far as objects go, there are many holy relics. However, NONE of them are ever objects of worship. None. Even the Catholic Church teaches that the Virgin Mary is to be reverenced, glorified, even adored --- but not worshipped. However, it also says if Jesus can glorify and honor His mother, so can we. So should we. "From this day forward, all generations shall call me blessed" said the humble maid, no doubt the words given to her by God.

None of the original Apostles, nor does the New Testament talk about 'Holy Relics'... that entire concept is a practiced borrowed from Roman Pagan religions... like Mithraism. Your 'veneration' of Mary is just an extension of the religion of Diana (Aretemis) who was granted perpetual virginity after having given birth to a son (sound familiar?). I find it interestion that the early christians did not care at all about holy relics and places until Rome got involved in the third century and Constantine's mother took a trip to Israel and had to ask around where these sites supposedly were and try and find pieces of the apostle and cross. Early christians had more important things to do rather than chase ghosts.

But since so many are trying so hard to distance themselves from heavenly revelations, I ask about this event (below). There is no inanimate object, only three young shepherd children praying their rosary every day. You really think God would use such innocents and his Holy Mother to be used by Satan this way? Unthinkable. In fact, to suggest this is of the devil is what I would refer to as "blaspheming the Holy Spirit," i.e., calling that which is of God to be of Beelzebub.

No where does Jesus refer to his mother has Holy... he actually chastised her once for tempting him. She was born sinful just like everyone else and died like everyone else.

If you were a Christian, you would know that no one is innocent except for Jesus.

Our eyes are to be on Jesus... and nothing else. He didn't suffer and die so you can venerate something or someone else... he alone deserves our total devotion as we are his bond servants.

As far as the Rosary, we are command not to be repetitive in our prayers.... God wants to talk to us and hear our problems, repeating someone else's formula to talk to him is laughable.

I hope and pray that someday you become a Christian and realize your folly.

What bothers me most about Roman Catholicism and a lot of Protestant churches is that they are inwardly facing and basically force their congregants to do religious things as works instead of ministering to the poor and down trodden.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Leviticus 26:1

“You shall not make idols for yourselves or erect an image or pillar, and you shall not set up a figured stone in your land to bow down to it, for I am the Lord your God.

Psalm 115:4-8

Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see. They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell. They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat. Those who make them become like them; so do all who trust in them.

Isaiah 44:6-20

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. Who is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and set it before me, since I appointed an ancient people. Let them declare what is to come, and what will happen. Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.” All who fashion idols are nothing, and the things they delight in do not profit. Their witnesses neither see nor know, that they may be put to shame. Who fashions a god or casts an idol that is profitable for nothing? ..

Deuteronomy 29:17

And you have seen their detestable things, their idols of wood and stone, of silver and gold, which were among them.

Jeremiah 10:2-5

Thus says the Lord: “Learn not the way of the nations, nor be dismayed at the signs of the heavens because the nations are dismayed at them, for the customs of the peoples are vanity. A tree from the forest is cut down and worked with an axe by the hands of a craftsman. They decorate it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so that it cannot move. Their idols are like scarecrows in a cucumber field, and they cannot speak; they have to be carried, for they cannot walk. Do not be afraid of them, for they cannot do evil, neither is it in them to do good.”

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
This report is not for those who refuse to believe. It is for those who want to believe. There is no scientific or natural explanation for the scores, if not hundreds, of weeping statues and paintings of Mary or Jesus which have occurred even in these last 50 years. No explanations! And yet, the skeptic does not want to believe. They seek out a hoax, and yes there are a few, and they point to the hoax as the answer to all the other ones they have chosen not to investigate. Sorry, you have satisfied only yourself with that hope. The wooden statue of Mary in a convent in Akita, Japan wept tears of blood and oil on 101 occasions before a host of eye witnesses, plus it was video taped and shown on Japanese TV back in 1973. No one has come forward with any scientific or natural explanation. So the world moves on and chooses to forget. Why? Because they do not want to know or admit that God is real and speaking to us through His mother. Happens all the time!

Nor will the skeptic accept the words of a scientist or medical doctor when that individual is the eye witness and says this sign is from God. Because now science is not on their side, so once again, they choose to ignore. In this recent article below, a well known doctor of medicine has given testimony to the day he visited a small Albanian Catholic church in Chicago and witnessed for himself the copious weeping of tears from a large painting of Mary and Jesus. This man is not likely to lie or to get all excited and embellish what he saw. He is calm and rational in his words. What he saw is what many thousands of others witnessed over a period of months and then years later once again. Tears of oil or myrrh (the church refused to have it analyzed because they considered the tears of the Virgin to be sacred and had no interest in them being handled in anything but a sacred way – I agree) poured down from the Virgin’s eyes many, many, many times. A hoax? Sure. Why do it on scores of occasions for many years if one did not want the hoax uncovered? No. It is a miracle. That word everyone wants to laugh away at. Sorry. God does not need to listen to what the world demands. He does as He pleases. To the faithful, it bolsters their faith. To the skeptic, a direct challenge to their senses.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

http://ocl.org/rouman-a-dr-who-believes-in-miracles/

Rouman: a Dr. Who Believes in Miracles

Dr. Rouman, anesthesiologist --- “What I personally observed in that little church in Chicago was not an illusion. It was not a matter of whether there were a few tears that had wetted an icon. There was material enough streaming from the Virgin’s eyes to have been collected and used to anoint hundreds of persons over several months’ time. As for skeptics, there were obviously some. To them, all I can say is that those who need tidy and finite answers to metaphysical questions or inexplicable religious phenomena will not be satisfied until such time they have had a religious experience of their own. Only then will the need for explanations be put aside.”

August 21, 2015

Source: The National Herald BY CONSTANTINOS E. SCAROS

HARTFORD, CT – The National Herald’s recent article “Greek-Americans and Miracles over the Decades” (Aug. 8) prompted Dr. James Rouman, a retired anesthesiologist and the author of two novels, to share is own firsthand account of a miracle that occurred almost 30 years ago, yet remains fresh in his mind and left a profound effect on him.

“I was attending a medical meeting at an O’Hare Airport Hotel in March 1987,” Dr. Rouman told TNH, “when I learned of a tearing (weeping) icon at an obscure Albanian Orthodox Church in Chicago, and decided to see for myself what the fuss reported in the newspapers and on television was all about.

“Arriving at the church, I saw a line of people waiting to enter the building in front of which several tour busses were parked,” he continued. “For over four months, more than a quarter million people from as far away as Ceylon, Sri Lanka, England, Rome, and Egypt had made the pilgrimage to see what for many was believed to be a miracle.

“On the afternoon of my visit, a church official remarked that the icon was weeping more than usual, and that the amount of material coming from the eyes of the Virgin Mary was sufficient to permit those present to be anointed if they so desired. Soon it would be my turn to witness the unforgettable. Approaching the icon, I recognized it to be a painting on canvas over wood, standing about five feet tall, three feet wide, and in colors primarily of red and gold. One could see that the icon positioned on the iconostasis was in no way supported from behind or touching anything other than the screen, itself, of which it was a part. As I stood before the icon, I saw a liquid substance falling directly from the pupils of the Virgin Mary’s eyes, over her face and clothing, reaching finally to the bottom of the icon.

“There the exudate was carefully collected, placed in a small silver bowl and taken to several priests, who while uttering words of blessing and prayer, anointed those who came forward. At that moment I knew I was witnessing not just a religious phenomenon, but an awesome and miraculous event unlike anything I could have ever imagined. And although I stood in wonder, I felt transformed by the experience as the tears were placed on my forehead.”

NATURAL AND SUPERNATURAL

A graduate of Northwestern University School of Medicine in Chicago, Rouman interned at the Texas Medical Center in Houston and trained as an anesthesiologist at Hartford Hospital and McGill University. His entire career has been as a staff member of Hartford Hospital, the largest tertiary care center between Boston and New York City. Rouman was also a faculty member of the University of Connecticut Health Center.

How does Rouman reconcile all the science and medicine that he learned, practiced, and taught over the years, with a phenomenon that cannot be explained by those disciplines?
“A great physician or scientist, if honest with himself,” Rouman explains, “is humbled by what little he knows as a function of what there is to know – not just of the human body, but of nature itself, of the universe in which he exists. The infinite order of it all, the intricacy of design of all existing matter, whether alive or inert, boggles the mind of anyone giving expression to such thoughts.

“Through it all, the issue of origin, of ontology, is brought to bear. There had to be a beginning. There had to be a superhuman architect to have fashioned the universe in all of its unfathomable complexity. To me and to the physicians and scientists I’ve known and respected during my career, that answer can only be God, however expressed by any given person. Under such a premise, it is not hard to reconcile the natural with the supernatural. Things can and do occur for which we have no immediate or rational explanation And just what does, for example, constitute a rational explanation? After all, we learn in science that too often today’s wisdom is merely tomorrow’s folly.

As physicians and scientists,” Rouman continues, “we are taught to observe carefully and to record accurately what we see, which in turn determines, to a large extent, what we do and how we react.”

WAS IT REAL?

All that aside, how can the rest of us, who weren’t there be convinced that what Dr. Rouman experienced was really a weeping icon, and not some sort of hoax?

“What I personally observed in that little church in Chicago was not an illusion. It was not a matter of whether there were a few tears that had wetted an icon. There was material enough streaming from the Virgin’s eyes to have been collected and used to anoint hundreds of persons over several months’ time. As for skeptics, there were obviously some. To them, all I can say is that those who need tidy and finite answers to metaphysical questions or inexplicable religious phenomena will not be satisfied until such time they have had a religious experience of their own. Only then will the need for explanations be put aside.”

He continued: one might ask why God chooses to make His presence felt in places far and wide, often mysteriously and beyond comprehension. Why is it that in a small Albanian church the Virgin Mary wept tears? For some people these and similar questions call for plausible answers. To me they are irrelevant. Having seen the tears of the Theotokos, I no longer doubt that God reveals himself at times and in ways that are difficult to understand. I don’t need an explanation for what I witnessed. I know what I saw.”

It would have been considered a “sacrilege if the tears were given up for analysis,” Rouman explains. But why? If those who submitted them for analysis really believed, then what could be better than a good faith effort to show everyone else the tears were real – through whatever evidence they needed to believe, even if that were chemical analysis?

The sacrilege, as Rouman explained, would not have been in the concept of a chemical analysis, but rather in the act. “The ecclesiastic authorities of Chicago prevented the chemical analysis of the material coming from the Virgin’s eyes for theological reasons, the thinking being that the substance represented part of the Virgin’s body and should therefore be handled with same respect as would be shown the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist.”

As for what it looked and felt like, Rouman said “the material was not clear fluid likened to tears, but rather a more thick substance akin to myrrh.”

Rouman says the experience further strengthened his faith in God, and make him more open to believing that other similar reported phenomena to be true.

ABOUT DR. ROUMAN

Dr. Rouman was born in Wisconsin to parents from Metamorphosis, a village in the Southern Laconian region of Monemvasia – the family name, “Roumanis,” was shortened at Ellis island by one of his uncles, who had arrived to the United States earlier.

His first novel, Underwater Dreams, is semi-autobiographical in nature and was written as a tribute to that cohort of Greeks, who while finding themselves in remote cities and areas of America, and without the support of a Greek community, church, schools and cultural organizations, managed to maintain their Orthodox faith, language, and traditions, all the while accomplishing great things. “My two siblings and I were home schooled in the Greek language by my mother, who procured material for that purpose from Greece. One of my brothers is also a physician, while the other became a distinguished professor of Greek and Latin,” he says.

His second novel, Uncertain Journey, received high marks from the reviewer Kirkus. The book “is a story in which I attempt to put a face on one of the major and troublesome societal issues of our day, namely, that of the illegal immigrant, through the telling of the plight of an Albanian alien living in the shadows of our society and within a well-established Greek-American community.”

Finally, regarding the miracle he witnessed in 1987, “I urge your readers to go on line and google ‘Weeping Icon, St. Nicholas Albanian Orthodox Church, Chicago,’ where numerous detailed accounts of the phenomenon can be accessed,” Dr. Rouman says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The New York Times reports on the weeping painting in the Chicago Church
http://www.nytimes.com/1986/12/22/us/weeping-virgin-icon-draws-throngs-to-chicago.html

Another article on the painting and a web site with numerous weepings
http://www.visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping48.htm

Brief summaries of numerous documented weeping images of Mary and Jesus
http://miracles.mcn.org/iconsarchive.html

Galatians 4:26 KJV -

:patrol:

vanityofvanitys

Leviticus 26:1

“You shall not make idols for yourselves or erect an image or pillar, and you shall not set up a figured stone in your land to bow down to it, for I am the Lord your God.

Psalm 115:4-8

Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see. They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell. They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat. Those who make them become like them; so do all who trust in them.

Isaiah 44:6-20

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. Who is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and set it before me, since I appointed an ancient people. Let them declare what is to come, and what will happen. Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any.” All who fashion idols are nothing, and the things they delight in do not profit. Their witnesses neither see nor know, that they may be put to shame. Who fashions a god or casts an idol that is profitable for nothing? ..

Deuteronomy 29:17

And you have seen their detestable things, their idols of wood and stone, of silver and gold, which were among them.

Jeremiah 10:2-5

Thus says the Lord: “Learn not the way of the nations, nor be dismayed at the signs of the heavens because the nations are dismayed at them, for the customs of the peoples are vanity. A tree from the forest is cut down and worked with an axe by the hands of a craftsman. They decorate it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so that it cannot move. Their idols are like scarecrows in a cucumber field, and they cannot speak; they have to be carried, for they cannot walk. Do not be afraid of them, for they cannot do evil, neither is it in them to do good.”

I know your type. Run to your favorite verse. But cannot answer direct questions.

I could prove purgatory to you just using the Bible as well. But you are not interested. You will once again scramble for something that says what you want to hear instead.

What idol was being worshipped at Fatima? More importantly, are you telling me nothing supernatural took place on October 13th? Those children spoke on July 13th that the Virgin Mary said a great miracle would occur for all present to see on October 13th. And it surely did! So tell me, was it supernatural or not? Then who was behind the miracle, God or the devil? Or do you have another answer to that?

Or will you be afraid and should I not expect direct responses to those questions?

PS -- That goes for you too Patrick Jane above.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I know your type. Run to your favorite verse. But cannot answer direct questions.

I could prove purgatory to you just using the Bible as well. But you are not interested. You will once again scramble for something that says what you want to hear instead.

What idol was being worshipped at Fatima? More importantly, are you telling me nothing supernatural took place on October 13th? Those children spoke on July 13th that the Virgin Mary said a great miracle would occur for all present to see on October 13th. And it surely did! So tell me, was it supernatural or not? Then who was behind the miracle, God or the devil? Or do you have another answer to that?

Or will you be afraid and should I not expect direct responses to those questions?

PS -- That goes for you too Patrick Jane above.

Keep worshipping your idols instead of God and reap what you sow. Those verses are the word of God.

Matthew 16:4 "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign; and a sign will not be given it, except the sign of Jonah." And He left them and went away.