Christian songs - what do you listen to?

Jamie Gigliotti

No, I don't think it is. In most cases, when artists give expression to such individual, yet universal experiences, it's not about "worship". It's about unity. It's about our shared humanity. It's about recognizing both our uniqueness and our similarity, simultaneously.

To then turn this shared experience toward some abstract idea of "God", I think, is to abuse both art AND God. In the service of what?

Art is our sharing of ourselves at the deepest levels. That isn't "just" something. It's nearly everything.

You are missing the point of personally and collectively sharing in the presence of the Holy Spirit in a very real metaphysical way.

PureX

You are missing the point of personally and collectively sharing in the presence of the Holy Spirit in a very real metaphysical way.
No, I'm just saying that isn't the purpose of art. And when we make art serve that purpose, it usually results in lousy art.

Most "Christian music" isn't very good, as music, because it's being forced to serve a purpose other than what it's intended to do. Same goes for all forms of art. (There are always exceptions, but they don't disprove the general rule.)

Lon

You are a thread downbeat
As an example, I am associated with the visual arts at the college level, and have seen many a student attempt to make paintings and sculptures about environmental issues. I understand the desire, because these are issues that tend to be on their minds. But I always have to ask them how they think painting a painting or constructing a sculpture is helping the environment?
:plain: I've worked for artists, have some of my own. I'm pretty sure I've had this discussion with you. You are entitled to your opinion (which I obviously do not share). Why, however, put it in a thread like this? Not really anything that needs to be stated in a thread you don't appreciate.

Or how their concern for the environment is making a better painting or sculpture? The answer is almost always that neither endeavor is being better served by combining them.
Well, we are going to probably agree to some extent. There was an 'excrement' exhibit that caused quite a stink when it went on display plastered on museum walls. Pun intended? Yeah, but I can't, both literal in this case :(

I run from even articles about such, though. You sort of run toward it here. I will say this: The best expressions of art have always been done by Christians as far as I'm concerned. No other need apply though I do like some expressions by nonChristians.

Ultimately, [pop]art is about expressing personal yet universal experience.
Fixed that but it can be replaced with 'cultural' or 'appealing' or etc. Again, most of us in this thread love the music given here.

And it is not teaching, preaching, praising or proselytizing.
Johnny Cash's later albums did exactly that and have high praise recognition. The same with Bob Dylan's gospel, and Elvis' gospel.

So it's almost always better art when the latter is avoided.
Recognize your own personal preference and bias and move on.

(Though, as with all things, there are some notable exceptions.)
Lots, in point of fact. MANY musicians are Christians. More than you probably realize. We can talk about other forms of art in another thread. This one is about music. Kids today don't even know who some of your 'favorites' are. They will remember hymns and Christian composers long long long after you and I are dead.

Lon

No, I'm just saying that isn't the purpose of art. And when we make art serve that purpose, it usually results in lousy art.
Er, no it does not, just the opposite.

Most "Christian music" isn't very good, as music, because it's being forced to serve a purpose other than what it's intended to do. Same goes for all forms of art. (There are always exceptions, but they don't disprove the general rule.)
I play guitar too, not as well as most, but I can play AND I know you don't know what you are talking about. Absolutely not. Your bias and nothing else.

Thomas Kincaid will be remembered this century, for example and again. You don't realize how many incredible musicians are Christian and write songs about their faith, apparently.

Not only a downbeat, but a clanging cymbal too. Is there a 'reason' to take one's eyes off the focus of this thread? I thought it was a beautiful thing until you showed up with "that ain't art!" I suppose every museum has one, but why frequent the thread. Wasn't just lifting up your video good enough? In line with the thread purpose? Maybe you didn't mean to be a downbeat?

Last edited:

Lon

Personal worship can be done in private or en masse. In the group, powerful Spiritual unifying presence becomes a possibility.
The art can facilitate the expression of the heart and soul which is worship. Without the heart and soul expression of love, praise, thankfulness and humility art is just that art.
:up: Yep Ephesians 5:19 Colossians 3:16 Anybody who says otherwise is trolling life...and this thread.

nikolai_42

Be Still My Soul

EDIT : There are a bunch of different versions of this hymn online, but few sound (to me) any good and even fewer utilize all the (popular) verses (there are a whole bunch of other less popular verses - some are, in my opinion, better). And note that it looks like this may be a group of men in the Church of Christ (possibly an offshoot). I don't agree with their theology but do favor their rendition of this hymn.

Last edited: