weekly weigh in

theophilus

One more quick question:

I notice as I am losing weight that I will drop 2 or 3 pounds then plateau out for about a week, then drop another 2 or 3 pounds and, again, plateau out for about the same length of time.

Is this par?

SaulToPaul 2

One more quick question:

I notice as I am losing weight that I will drop 2 or 3 pounds then plateau out for about a week, then drop another 2 or 3 pounds and, again, plateau out for about the same length of time.

Is this par?

In my experience, weight loss isn't linear, but comes in spurts. :up:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In my experience, weight loss isn't linear, but comes in spurts. :up:

I think that is because our fuel consumption is not linear. And she has indicated she is doing intermittent fasting, so that adds up. If I need to shed 8 lbs, I just restrict my food, and it comes right off. Just like with the wrestlers all those years ago. They were in better shape than football and basketball players. We were not eating right, but also never had to make weight.

SaulToPaul 2

I think that is because our fuel consumption is not linear. And she has indicated she is doing intermittent fasting, so that adds up. If I need to shed 8 lbs, I just restrict my food, and it comes right off. Just like with the wrestlers all those years ago. They were in better shape than football and basketball players. We were not eating right, but also never had to make weight.

I think the scale can mislead too, water weight can shift 2-4 LBS on a daily basis.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
:up:

There is something enjoyable about moving resistance through the lifting zone with the shortest possible range of motion.
I don't mind lifting, but what I really like is strength. And the best way for me to have and to keep that is to lift.

BTW that "eye chart" idea works pretty good. I just look at the next number to remember what rep I'm on when I'm deadlifting (both normal and narrow grip). It will work just as well when my shoulder finally says it's OK to start clean and jerks again.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Some good news.

My knee started bothering me a few weeks back (while gardening, of all things), and wouldn't heal after much rest (I stopped all leg lifts) and many good nights sleep. I was reduced, due to my shoulder and now to my knee, to bench pressing only, which bugged me since bench pressing is my least favorite power lift.

But, I have been doing the other lifts I enjoy without a bar, just to get in some really light training, and to work on flexibility. Even without the bar though, my shoulder bothered me during the catch of the clean (really fast rotation to get under the bar), and my knee bothered me during the bar-less squats and dead lifts.

But today I did some bar-less squats and my knee felt good, and so I did 2x20 with an empty bar and again, my knee is feeling good. So, it finally looks like I'm on the mend, and I could be back at it in no time.

:D

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Muscle fibers.

There are two types. Fast-twitch, and slow-twitch. I don't understand how they work but I understand the practical difference. Fast-twitch muscle fibers are able to move more weight, faster; but they fatigue quicker. Slow-twitch muscle fibers can't move as much weight or as fast, but they take longer to fatigue.

Running a marathon relies mostly on slow-twitch muscle fibers, while lifting maximum weight engages fast-twitch muscle fibers more than slow-twitch muscle fibers.

Lifting weights to failure engages fast-twitch muscle fibers, but only towards the failure. Until failure, slow-twitch muscle fibers are more involved.

And, lifting weights as quickly as possible rather than slowly and steadily engages fast-twitch muscle fibers quicker than does training to failure.

If anything here is incorrect, please correct me, as I'm basing my training upon these principles.

Thanks. :)