ECT Acts 13-The bible is a book of details

john w

Hall of Fame
Some observations on Acts 13-notice-Barnabas has preeminence, then Saul:

"Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul." Acts 11:30 KJV

"And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their ministry, and took with them John, whose surname was Mark." Acts 12:25 KJV

"Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them." Acts 13:1-2 KJV

"Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God." Acts 13:7 KJV

Now, notice the shift: Saul becomes Paul, and Paul is scripturally named before Barnabas hereafter most of the time(2 exceptions-Acts 15:12. 15:25): Acts 13:43 KJV, Acts 13:46 KJV, Acts 13:50 KJV,Acts 14:12 KJV("...Paul... he was the chief speaker..."), Acts 14:14 KJV, Acts 15:2 KJV, Acts 15:22 KJV, Acts 15:35 KJV, Acts 15:36 KJV.

Saul becomes Paul per Acts 13:9 KJV, and his name is changed at the time of his first miracle=his Hebrew name vanishes/Saul becoming/"changing to " Paul, was one of the greatest displays, one of the greatest "miracles," by the LORD God, i.e., a pattern of our salvation! Yes, Paul, a murderer, became a "miracle" of the LORD God's grace.

And notice the parallels/differences vs. Peter's first miracle:

Peter: "And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us." Acts 3:4 KJV

Paul: "Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him." Acts 13:9 KJV

Peter, "fastening his eyes" upon the lame man, a Jew, pronounced a blessing. Paul, "set his eyes" on a Jew, Barjesus("son of salvation"), and pronounced his doom! Peter's first miracle references the restoration of Israel, while Paul's first miracle references the rejection of Israel, and the reconciliation of the Gentiles, due to Israel's blindness:

"And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. And immediately there fell on him a mist and a darkness(diminishing of the eyes-my note); and he went about seeking some to lead him by the hand." Acts 13:11 KJV

"Then the deputy, when he saw what was done, believed, being astonished at the doctrine of the Lord." Acts 13:12 KJV

"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in." Romans 11:25 KJV

Thus, the "son of salvation" is blinded for a season-typical of the nation of Israel. Acts 13 marks the start of her blindness. And notice that the deputy in Acts 13:12 KJV, a Gentile, responds to the doctrine(reconciliation of Gentiles), and is shown mercy, while a Jew is blinded.

Also notice that in this same chapter, 13:28-30 KJV, Paul puts forth the "outline" of 1 Cor. 15:1-4 KJV-the death, burial, and resurrection:

Verse 13:28:"And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain." = the death of the Lord Jesus Christ

Verse 13:29: "And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre."=the burial of the Lord Jesus Christ

Verse 13:30: "But God raised him from the dead:..." =the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ

The bible-the greatest book, a book of details-pay attention to the details.

As usual, per Acts 17:11 KJV, don't rely on my often faulty,albeit quite humble,explanations. "Check it out", in the greatest book that will ever be written, to see "...whether those things were so..."

Interplanner

Sorry John W, but you're on my ignore list, so you'll have to build up "references" to make me be interested enough to unlist. I love to hear what Acts 13 says, but I had enough of your delivery.

SaulToPaul 2

Sorry John W, but you're on my ignore list, so you'll have to build up "references" to make me be interested enough to unlist. I love to hear what Acts 13 says, but I had enough of your delivery.

Thanks for taking the time to post and let us know you didn't read it.
Saint john w the great has taken note of your post.

Danoh

Thanks for taking the time to post and let us know you didn't read it.
Saint john w the great has taken note of your post.

This, despite the great frequency with which Interplanner harps on the need to properly understand Acts 13 as his "punch line."

Fact is, the only "references" anyone should ever need from anyone should be their latest words on an issue.

Because "charity believeth all things" - always gives the benefit of the doubt once more.

Though sometimes it has no recourse but to do so from the safety of the other side of the street, lol

In this, perhaps Inter, is doing that; looking at the above from across the street, for now.

Time will tell..

I wouldn't count the guy out just yet; his recurrent pattern is that of one far too curious about things to throw in the towel that soon...

"Charity believeth all things" 1 Cor. 13:7.

john w

Hall of Fame

Thanks! Given the source, that is a great compliment! Thanks again!!!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Brilliance on display. At times it is like watching a cat play with a mouse when the mouse thinks he has gotten away, the paw comes down.

God's Truth

Some observations on Acts 13-notice-Barnabas has preeminence, then Saul:

"Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul." Acts 11:30 KJV

"And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their ministry, and took with them John, whose surname was Mark." Acts 12:25 KJV

"Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them." Acts 13:1-2 KJV

"Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God." Acts 13:7 KJV

Now, notice the shift: Saul becomes Paul, and Paul is scripturally named before Barnabas hereafter most of the time(2 exceptions-Acts 15:12. 15:25): Acts 13:43 KJV, Acts 13:46 KJV, Acts 13:50 KJV,Acts 14:12 KJV("...Paul... he was the chief speaker..."), Acts 14:14 KJV, Acts 15:2 KJV, Acts 15:22 KJV, Acts 15:35 KJV, Acts 15:36 KJV.

Your own "exceptions" prove you wrong. The Bible does not make mistakes.

Saul becomes Paul per Acts 13:9 KJV, and his name is changed at the time of his first miracle=his Hebrew name vanishes/Saul becoming/"changing to " Paul, was one of the greatest displays, one of the greatest "miracles," by the LORD God, i.e., a pattern of our salvation! Yes, Paul, a murderer, became a "miracle" of the LORD God's grace.

And notice the parallels/differences vs. Peter's first miracle:

Peter: "And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us." Acts 3:4 KJV

Paul: "Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him." Acts 13:9 KJV

Peter, "fastening his eyes" upon the lame man, a Jew, pronounced a blessing. Paul, "set his eyes" on a Jew, Barjesus("son of salvation"), and pronounced his doom! Peter's first miracle references the restoration of Israel, while Paul's first miracle references the rejection of Israel, and the reconciliation of the Gentiles, due to Israel's blindness:

"And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. And immediately there fell on him a mist and a darkness(diminishing of the eyes-my note); and he went about seeking some to lead him by the hand." Acts 13:11 KJV

"Then the deputy, when he saw what was done, believed, being astonished at the doctrine of the Lord." Acts 13:12 KJV

Did you forget that Paul was blinded too? Paul was blinded because he went against Jesus Christ. Paul was an enemy of Jesus Christ. The person Paul announced would be blinded was an enemy of Jesus too.

Acts 13:9 Then Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked straight at Elymas and said, 10 “You are a child of the devil and an enemy of everything that is right! You are full of all kinds of deceit and trickery. Will you never stop perverting the right ways of the Lord? 11 Now the hand of the Lord is against you. You are going to be blind for a time, not even able to see the light of the sun.”

Before Paul was saved and became an Apostle of Jesus Christ, he was a violent man; he gave approval of Stephens’s death, guarded over the clothes that belonged to the men who killed Stephen. Saul put many of the saints in prison, and when they were put to death, he cast his vote against them. Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off men and women and put them in prison. Acts 22:20, Acts 26:10, Acts 8:3.

Paul was shown mercy so that people can see that even the worst of sinners can be forgiven through Jesus.

1 Timothy 1:16 But mercy was shown me in order that in me as the foremost of sinners Christ Jesus might display the fullness of His long-suffering patience as an example to encourage those who would afterwards be resting their faith on Him with a view to the Life of the Ages.

There is no such scripture that says what you want us to believe. There is no scripture that says Paul was saved to give another gospel.

"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in." Romans 11:25 KJV

Paul is just reassuring people that Jews are not cut off forever, as it must have appeared that way to others.

Thus, the "son of salvation" is blinded for a season-typical of the nation of Israel. Acts 13 marks the start of her blindness. And notice that the deputy in Acts 13:12 KJV, a Gentile, responds to the doctrine(reconciliation of Gentiles), and is shown mercy, while a Jew is blinded.

Also notice that in this same chapter, 13:28-30 KJV, Paul puts forth the "outline" of 1 Cor. 15:1-4 KJV-the death, burial, and resurrection:

Verse 13:28:"And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain." = the death of the Lord Jesus Christ

Verse 13:29: "And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a sepulchre."=the burial of the Lord Jesus Christ

Verse 13:30: "But God raised him from the dead:..." =the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ

Paul is not preaching a different gospel. Paul is telling everything that went on BEFORE he became saved. Paul is confirming that he believes in the Lord Jesus Christ, and everything that happened when Jesus walked the earth. Paul is explaining to people what happened.

God's Truth

Paul was sent to JEWS and Gentiles.

The reason Paul was eventually sent far away to the Gentiles is because the Jews did not trust Paul. They did not trust Paul when he preached to believe in Jesus. The Jews thought Paul was trying to trap them into saying they believe in Jesus so that Paul could have them put in prison. Paul used to do that, he used to have people put in prison for believing in Jesus.

Acts 21:19 “‘Lord,’ I replied, ‘these people know that I went from one synagogue to another to imprison and beat those who believe in you. 20 And when the blood of your martyr Stephen was shed, I stood there giving my approval and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him.’

21 “Then the Lord said to me, ‘Go; I will send you far away to the Gentiles.’ ”

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul was sent to JEWS and Gentiles.

Strawman

The reason Paul was eventually sent far away to the Gentiles is because the Jews did not trust Paul.

No kidding.

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in

The Jews thought Paul was trying to trap them into saying they believe in Jesus so that Paul could have them put in prison. Paul used to do that, he used to have people put in prison for believing in Jesus.

What? The ones that are blind do not believe you raging moron. Can you trick someone into liking chocolate cake? What an idiot thing for you to say.

God's Truth

Paul was sent to Jews and Gentiles.

Acts 20:21 I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Acts 26:20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and to the Gentiles also, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.

God's Truth

This is Paul speaking.

Acts 21:19 “‘Lord,’ I replied, ‘these people know that I went from one synagogue to another to imprison and beat those who believe in you.

20 And when the blood of your martyr Stephen was shed, I stood there giving my approval and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him.’

21 “Then the Lord said to me, ‘Go; I will send you far away to the Gentiles.’ ”

HisServant

I have to ask... is English your second language? Because you seem to post verses that do not mean what you think they do.

God's Truth

I have to ask... is English your second language? Because you seem to post verses that do not mean what you think they do.

Is that all Satan gave you? All you have are mere insults. I could not care any less about the ways of men and their insults.

Go try to address the many scriptures I gave.

HisServant

Is that all Satan gave you? All you have are mere insults. I could not care any less about the ways of men and their insults.

Go try to address the many scriptures I gave.

It's not Satan, it's just the English Language.

Paul was saved on the road to Damascus and Jesus sent him to Peter to have his vision restored. During his time with Peter, he preached to the Jews and Greeks, then he received a special charge to go out to the Gentiles. The verse you quotes says that in the correct order... it was the factual sequence of Paul's conversion, acceptance and commission.

Anyhow, no matter where he preached, there were bound to be the random Jew in the crowd since Rome dispersed the Jews as part of their occupation of Israel.

Do you just read the scriptures as some sort of instruction book where the context and audience doesn't matter at all?

Last edited:

Danoh

Paul was saved on the road to Damascus and Jesus sent him to Peter to have his vision restored. During his time with Peter, he preached to the Jews and Greeks, then he received a special charge to go out to the Gentiles. The verse you quotes says that in the correct order... it was the factual sequence of Paul's conversion, acceptance and commission.

Anyhow, no matter where he preached, there were bound to be the random Jew in the crowd since Rome dispersed the Jews as part of their occupation of Israel.

Do you just read the scriptures as some sort of instruction book where the context and audience doesn't matter at all?

Get your own facts straight as well.

Acts 9:

17. And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath
sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
18. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

Galatians 1:

15. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,
16. To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
17. Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

Other than Jerry S, in practice Mid-Acts is believing in actual practice what the Apostle Paul asserts in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 is our sole source of information on all issues - "All Scripture" because it alone "is given by inspiration of God" and is therefore alone "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction," in short, "for instruction in righteousness" to the intent "that the man of God might be perfect," in other words "throughly furnished unto all good works."

No room there for our own notions, or that of endless book of writers parroting those parroted notions they themselves were weaned on in parroted teachings previous to their own all the way back to when the truth of Romans 11:25-29 was ignored even before it was penned, thus, the need for its writing to begin with.

HisServant

Get your own facts straight as well.

Acts 9:

17. And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath
sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
18. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

Galatians 1:

15. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,
16. To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
17. Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

Other than Jerry S, in practice Mid-Acts is believing in actual practice what the Apostle Paul asserts in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 is our sole source of information on all issues - "All Scripture" because it alone "is given by inspiration of God" and is therefore alone "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction," in short, "for instruction in righteousness" to the intent "that the man of God might be perfect," in other words "throughly furnished unto all good works."

No room there for our own notions, or that of endless book of writers parroting those parroted notions they themselves were weaned on in parroted teachings previous to their own all the way back to when the truth of Romans 11:25-29 was ignored even before it was penned, thus, the need for its writing to begin with.

Yeah... got the name wrong... my bad.

Other than that, the sequence is correct.

I am not a dispensationalist though.

Danoh

Yeah... got the name wrong... my bad.

Other than that, the sequence is correct.

I am not a dispensationalist though.

I know you are not Dispy. In fact, I have never had to wonder who is, is not. A consistent application of the Mid-Acts Hermeneutic always allows seeing that in others in few words from them.

In fact, whenever you are dealing with someone who asserts being Dispensational - especially any who profess being Mid-Acts Dispensational - but who nevertheless manifests being unable to practically right off discern whether the person they are dealing with is or is not, and or where said person they are dealing with is coming from, this is an indication that said professing Mid-Acts Dispensationalist is not really that consistent in their application of the Mid-Acts Hermeneutic.

When one is consistent in the Hermeneutic it is that closely linked to the many relevant passages that right off allow the mind of Christ as to who and or what, one is dealing with.

Or as it's Christ-given Apostle put it, in 1 Corinthians 2:

15. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

This; because the Spirit's assertion in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 - is true - The Book is able to that "throughly" perfect, or "furnish" the Believer "unto" what's what, simply "by reason of use," Heb. 5:14.

God's Truth

Paul did not have a different or other gospel.

Paul taught the same things the other Apostles taught.