ECT Spiritual adultery, what is it?

Cross Reference

My Bible tells me, no adulterer can enter the kingdom of God. We take that to mean the physical act of it. Why should it not also apply to a compromised Christian, one who manifests a worldly disposition, one having more affinities for the things of it than of Christ Jesus? Is not the Christian to be consistent to the life of the Son of God in him if he claims to be born again?

Last edited:

Interplanner

Of course. The whole reason homosexuality is 'accepted' by some 'evangelicals' is that the 'evangelicals' do not know what 'dead to sin' means in classic passages such as Col 3:1-10 or Eph 4:20+. Or 'put to death' or 'put off.'

The Gospel of Christ justifying us from our sins was always meant to reach our heart, our deepest feeling, and change all that. It was never cerebral. We were meant to honor Christ for what he has done. Like a wife who had nothing in life and has been provided everything.

Those 'commands' in NT letters are more like expressions of natural instincts and reflexes that have been instilled by the Gospel. That is why, when Paul lists the fruit of the Spirit, the Greek follows with 'about things like this, you don't make laws.' It is one of the most brilliant expressions in the NT. It is not compulsion, it is not cerebral, it is not a matter of imprisoning your nervous system and producing Christan acts. It is entirely natural and expected. It comes from (a new) within.

He was talking about getting along with Gentiles. The Law is carnal and creates discord. The Gospel is spiritual and creates love and forebearance.

heir

TOL Subscriber
My Bible tells me, no adulterer can enter the kingdom of God.
No one who is still identified in their flesh can inherit the kingdom of God. Why is it that you miss the conclusion of the syllogism in verse 11?

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Those who have trusted the Lord believing the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) have the righteousness of God upon them (Romans 3:21-22 KJV) and are not identified as "unrighteousness" (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). Get it? Do you have it?

Cross Reference

No one who is still identified in their flesh can inherit the kingdom of God. Why is it that you miss the conclusion of the syllogism in verse 11?

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1 Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Those who have trusted the Lord believing the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) have the righteousness of God upon them (Romans 3:21-22 KJV) and are not identified as "unrighteousness" (2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV). Get it? Do you have it?

No inconsistencies in your life, I take it? I mean you have sincerely abandoned your life to Christ Jesus?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The answer to the opening post is simply that no-one would be save, except mebbe the apostle Paul and a handful of shrivelled souls.

I will tell you a secret about God, this is for somebody in the inner circle.

God can at any given time so reveal Himself to the WHOLE church that they all will at once be brought into a state of spiritual revival. When God knew that man would sin He so designed it that when one sinned [Adam] the whole race should sin together....Man is created with a nature that not only craves fellowship but actually does need fellowship.

God is aware of this.

God knows that if that saved but backslidden construction worker [I was about to say 6th form student] should come into an extreme state of godliness or spirituality....they scarcely would survive in the environment they find themselves...God is VERY kind and very merciful toward them.

In a time of general visitation, when say four or five [upwards] construction workers on one site or a half dozen or so 6th formers get all saved together, then you have church and the spiritual attainments are unlimited.

To PROVE what I say I quote the rapture of the church, when the whole church will be lifted together to join the Lord in the clouds, on THAT day we will all be made perfect, there will be no spot or wrinkle or any such thing.

You have got to stop trying to flog people into holiness

Cross Reference

The answer to the opening post is simply that no-one would be save, except mebbe the apostle Paul and a handful of shrivelled souls.

I will tell you a secret about God, this is for somebody in the inner circle.

God can at any given time so reveal Himself to the WHOLE church that they all will at once be brought into a state of spiritual revival. When God knew that man would sin He so designed it that when one sinned [Adam] the whole race should sin together....Man is created with a nature that not only craves fellowship but actually does need fellowship.

God is aware of this.

God knows that if that saved but backslidden construction worker [I was about to say 6th form student] should come into an extreme state of godliness or spirituality....they scarcely would survive in the environment they find themselves...God is VERY kind and very merciful toward them.

In a time of general visitation, when say four or five [upwards] construction workers on one site or a half dozen or so 6th formers get all saved together, then you have church and the spiritual attainments are unlimited.

To PROVE what I say I quote the rapture of the church, when the whole church will be lifted together to join the Lord in the clouds, on THAT day we will all be made perfect, there will be no spot or wrinkle or any such thing.

You have got to stop trying to flog people into holiness

I know the manchild of Rev 12 will be raptured but how 'bout the Christians who are not of the man-child caliber who will be persecuted; ". . . . the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17 (KJV)

heir

TOL Subscriber
No inconsistencies in your life, I take it? I mean you have sincerely abandoned your life to Christ Jesus?

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

glorydaz

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Amen, and what a blessed relief it is. Truly a peace that passes all understanding. :thumb:

Cross Reference

Do you indeed live by the faith OF the son of God, as Paul says he did, or your faith that continually needs to be built up? Living by our faith leaves open the possibility of all sorts of spiritual inconsistencies.

I know the scripture quite well thank you but, you didn't answer my question.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Do you indeed live by the faith OF the son of God, as Paul says he did, or your faith that continually needs to be built up? Living by our faith leaves open the possibility of all sorts of spiritual inconsistencies.

I know the scripture quite well thank you but, you didn't answer my question.
I would expect the response you gave above as you appear to be someone who is trusting in his own faith and has yet to trust the faith OF Jesus Christ as all sufficient to save him (Romans 4:25 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV, Titus 3:4-7 KJV). Commit your salvation to His faith (2 Timothy 1:12 KJV).

Interplanner

To both of you above:
I think heir is referring actually to the expression at the end of Gal 2, which is that Paul relied on the accomplishment of Christ (called the faith of Christ there) for his justification; and that justification helps him fellowship with non-Judaistic people.

He did not mean Christ had faith for him. He did not mean Christ had faith and no works. He meant the same thing he has always meant about Christ, and he innovated (for clarity sake) by calling all that Christ accomplished for our justification "the faith of the Son of God." The clarity of it is that Christ himself welcomed faith from non-Judaistic people and validated it.

Yes, the preposition is possessive not dative. And the word "in" is not there. So neither the NIV nor the TEV hit the nail.

'pistis' is rarely used this way, but there are other examples. It is rare because 'pistis' is only as valuable as the object it relies upon.

Cross Reference

I would expect the response you gave above as you appear to be someone who is trusting in his own faith and has yet to trust the faith OF Jesus Christ as all sufficient to save him (Romans 4:25 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV, Titus 3:4-7 KJV). Commit your salvation to His faith (2 Timothy 1:12 KJV).

>a nothing unlearned obtuse reply<

Cross Reference

To both of you above:
I think heir is referring actually to the expression at the end of Gal 2, which is that Paul relied on the accomplishment of Christ (called the faith of Christ there) for his justification; and that justification helps him fellowship with non-Judaistic people.

He did not mean Christ had faith for him. He did not mean Christ had faith and no works. He meant the same thing he has always meant about Christ, and he innovated (for clarity sake) by calling all that Christ accomplished for our justification "the faith of the Son of God." The clarity of it is that Christ himself welcomed faith from non-Judaistic people and validated it.

Yes, the preposition is possessive not dative. And the word "in" is not there. So neither the NIV nor the TEV hit the nail.

'pistis' is rarely used this way, but there are other examples. It is rare because 'pistis' is only as valuable as the object it relies upon.

Paul is referring to the Pentecostal gift of faith by the Holy Spirit as Jesus spoke when explaining the Comforter, the Father would send.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I know the manchild of Rev 12 will be raptured but how 'bout the Christians who are not of the man-child caliber who will be persecuted; ". . . . the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Revelation 12:17 (KJV)

There will be nobody left behind...don't buy that stuff, it will be like when the Jews left Egypt, not a single Jew was left behind.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Holiness is a precious jewel, a delicious fruit, a fragrance to make the heart swoon with desire....but you cain't flog people into it...they have to SEE it and greatly desire it for themselves.

If you are holy you will have great compassion for the weaker brethren, you will KNOW that in God's eyes they are as holy too.

Abraham is the picture of holiness unto the Lord, Lot is the picture of the backslider, you see how Lot is borne up on the prayers of Abraham.

Cross Reference

Holiness is a precious jewel, a delicious fruit, a fragrance to make the heart swoon with desire....but you cain't flog people into it...they have to SEE it and greatly desire it for themselves.

If you are holy you will have great compassion for the weaker brethren, you will KNOW that in God's eyes they are as holy too.

Abraham is the picture of holiness unto the Lord, Lot is the picture of the backslider, you see how Lot is borne up on the prayers of Abraham.

In what way am I or have I "flogged" anyone????? I asked for an opinion. Seems that bothers you that you should look for ways to avoid answering it. You, Heir and dazed maybe are sisters?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
In what way am I or have I "flogged" anyone????? I asked for an opinion. Seems that bothers you that you should look for ways to avoid answering it. You, Heir and dazed maybe are sisters?

Your question clearly shows that the compromised Christian in your opinion shall not enter the kingdom of God...it is a pointed question

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
See Paul was head and shoulders above everyone, and then we have Christ who is matchless in holiness. But even Paul would not say that he had yet attained to the resurrection but he strived for it.

The resurrection IS the kingdom of Heaven, the millennium age, and in as much as Christ is matchless we must everyone of us fall short.

So you could look at me and say "well you fall shorter of Christ than I do.....or I am more advanced in the things that pertain to holiness than you are"

Or as john w puts it succinctly "you are a dirtier rat than me"

If we can grasp that for all the blood bought, wherever we are in Christ, but Christ IS in us and God SEES Christ in us then any progression toward holiness and living the Christlike Christlife is aspiration. A matter of encouragement and helping each other along.

Helping each other to win the prize, attain to the resurrection. Some will surely have a greater reward than others but we will ALL be there.

Cross Reference

See Paul was head and shoulders above everyone, and then we have Christ who is matchless in holiness. But even Paul would not say that he had yet attained to the resurrection but he strived for it.

Never ever even inferred that he did. So what is your point except we are to strive for it as
Paul speaks of in Philippians 3:14-16, having the Mind of God, for which I do agree.

Having agreed with you on that part, how do you suppose anyone can be successful without them abandoning their lives to Christ Jesus?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Never ever even inferred that he did. So what is your point except we are to strive for it as
Paul speaks of in Philippians 3:14-16, having the Mind of God, for which I do agree.

Having agreed with you on that part, how do you suppose anyone can be successful without them abandoning their lives to Christ Jesus?

But we HAVE abandoned our lives to Christ.....but some immediately backslide.....the church has ALWAYS backslid whether the Jewish OT church or the NT church. The consequences of that are in Christ's hands but whatever consequence there are they cannot include damnation ... for we are saved.

Paul never speaks in a way like "let us have the mind of Christ...or we will be damned" that isn't how it is....Paul never threatens ANY saint with damnation. People fall away from Christ, that is they lose the sense of His immediate Presence, they suffer loss of joy, peace....their prayer life dries up, the bible becomes hard and onerous [so people run to the theology shop]

The answer to all this is to remember that from which we are fallen, go back, back to the cross, back to our espousals, back to our first love.