What value are these theological discussions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyStan

"Warn them before God against quarrelling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth (2Tim2:14-16).
This warning applies to theological discussions, such as here on TOL. Many posts are an obvious mishandling of God's truth, such as posts on Calvinism, Baptism and the Plan of Salvation. Verbal jousting on these topics is of no value because who listens in order to understand. Like the saying goes," I have made up my mind so don't confuse me with the truth." Theological point scoring seems to be the aim of the discussions. Like throwing stones at one another from our own theological positions. There is no value to these theology 'quarrels' unless they inspire greater obedience to Christ and sharing of his likeness.

theophilus

There are times when these "quarrels" put God's truths before the eyes of them who need to see and who need to hear.

Jude 3 Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints. 4 For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Speaking only for myself, if I can't sit and go over the things of God in your living-room, with you and our bibles, I have to do it here (especially if one is un-churched).

Praise God for the Internet!

:)

theophilus

"Warn them before God against quarrelling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth (2Tim2:14-16).
This warning applies to theological discussions, such as here on TOL. Many posts are an obvious mishandling of God's truth, such as posts on Calvinism, Baptism and the Plan of Salvation. Verbal jousting on these topics is of no value because who listens in order to understand. Like the saying goes," I have made up my mind so don't confuse me with the truth." Theological point scoring seems to be the aim of the discussions. Like throwing stones at one another from our own theological positions. There is no value to these theology 'quarrels' unless they inspire greater obedience to Christ and sharing of his likeness.

So why are you here?

And how do YOU distinguish between "wheat and tares?"

themuzicman

"Iron sharpens iron."

If you are here to convince the world of your doctrinal correctness, you're in the wrong place. Discussion is supposed to put our own assertions and assumptions in front of those who disagree to expose the error, just as flame draws the dross from silver.

BoyStan

Its all about God's truth according to his Word. To share God's truth in the prayer and hope that it may benefit others. I am not here to convince the world of my doctrinal correctness. I am here to preach the Word (2Tim4:1-5). It is about having our ears and hearts opened to God's truth, and to be doers of the truth not hearers only.

Last edited:

BoyStan

The only correct doctrine is in the Word of God found in the Bible. No-one, either you, me or anyone here has all the correct doctrines. The aim is not just doctrinal correctness, but greater obedience to the will of God and likeness to Christ. Theology is merely theory until it results practical obedience to the will of God.

BoyStan

'Be doers of the Word not hearers only, deceiving your own selves'. Not doctrinal correctness or orthodoxy but orthopraxis, is the aim.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
What value are these theological discussions?

Well, there's "theological discussion" and then there's "my theology is right, and your belief is the brainchild of satan" :chuckle:

Too much of one and not the other on here. But it's also difficult not be derogatory towards those who, like Robert Pate, make daily threads denouncing Calvinism or MADists who try to call everything opposed to their 19th century beliefs 'churchianity'.

One doesn't have much to work with if one is a traditional Christian, because most in depth theology is exclusive to traditional Christianity. You can't bring up Augustine, the Reformists, or any other historic theologian- it always becomes about arbitrary assumptions of scripture.

Samie

Well, there's "theological discussion" and then there's "my theology is right, and your belief is the brainchild of satan" :chuckle:

Too much of one and not the other on here. But it's also difficult not be derogatory towards those who, like Robert Pate, make daily threads denouncing Calvinism or MADists who try to call everything opposed to their 19th century beliefs 'churchianity'.

One doesn't have much to work with if one is a traditional Christian, because most in depth theology is exclusive to traditional Christianity. You can't bring up Augustine, the Reformists, or any other historic theologian- it always becomes about arbitrary assumptions of scripture.
No offense meant, but is that why I read in one of the threads you called 'foolish' what is against your belief? And in case you missed it, here's my response to your post.

Samie

We are our brother's keeper and we need to point out the truth in a brotherly way. Truth hurts sometimes.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
No offense meant, but is that why I read in one of the threads you called 'foolish' what is against your belief? And in case you missed it, here's my response to your post.

I stated in my post that it is difficult to not be derogatory to those who are basically theological trolls.
In case you missed it, which is typical of those as yourself who suffer with selective bias :wave2:

And I have little interest in your thread to be honest- I responded to your clear foolishness, in which you are asking a loaded queation based on errant perception of Calvinism and being ridiculous with every response.

Anti-Calvinists have this strange obsession with deliberately avoiding reason and throwing every tiny thing they can muster. Perpetually. It's like a mental illness.
In fact, that's exactly what it is- one has overdosed on their own arbitrary conclusions and are rendered unable to even perceive anything different. That's akin to cults :rolleyes:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
strange obsession with deliberately avoiding reason and throwing every tiny thing they can muster. Perpetually. It's like a mental illness.
In fact, that's exactly what it is- one has overdosed on their own arbitrary conclusions and are rendered unable to even perceive anything different. That's akin to cults :rolleyes:
Amazing.

Samie

I stated in my post that it is difficult to not be derogatory to those who are basically theological trolls.
In case you missed it, which is typical of those as yourself who suffer with selective bias :wave2:

And I have little interest in your thread to be honest- I responded to your clear foolishness, in which you are asking a loaded queation based on errant perception of Calvinism and being ridiculous with every response.
Thanks for pointing that out. But, I guess, it is in knowing you are NOT able through Scriptures to defeat the objections, that you simply dismiss them as ridiculous, a habit you cannot seem to undo.

Anti-Calvinists have this strange obsession with deliberately avoiding reason and throwing every tiny thing they can muster. Perpetually. It's like a mental illness.
You seem to be talking to yourself. You have presented no valid scriptural argument against my position but simply call it foolish, remember?

And modesty aside, brother, you cannot show me in any of my post where I simply dismissed as foolish any objection to my position, instead I responded to them with Scriptural basis. Can you show me one objection I simply dismissed as foolish without even stating the scriptural basis, like what you did to my position here in this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.