Is Calvinism Anti-Gospel, Anti-Christ?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
No, I pretty much will defend those that I feel are getting a raw deal. There are other historical figures that have been under the same kinds of attacks - those that intrigue me. I am familiar with Calvin, living in an area of many Calvinistic churches and looking at their theological writings. It surprises me that there is so much animosity here against him. I think it is falsely proclaimed, to be honest, and not understanding the church government and policies back then. It was a lot harsher and judgment was meted out without much compassion. But then, that is the middle ages for you. Just look at the fierce blood shedding in England between Christians and Catholics for centuries. I am not defending the right of the "church" to murder and behead and torture people, but that is the history of the church and that of the crusades. To single out Calvin who was part of "normal" church practice at that time is a bit hypercritical in my opinion.

Yikes!!

Eagles Wings

Yes, but remember that that all happens in a moment of time. It's akin to the breathing in of air. To receive the air into your lungs, there must first be a muscular action that creates a vacuum in the lungs. Then (and only then) does the air enter your lungs. But the air enters as a part of that whole process.

The Reformed idea of salvation is to be grounded in the will of God. The non-Reformed idea of salvation is to be grounded in the will of man. At that point, the debates start. Since I believe that a man cannot and will not hear unless God reveals Himself to that man, I believe that there has to be that work in the man before real faith can take root. I believe that's what scripture bears out. And that is what is held to on the Reformed side of things. But again, to take that and separate all those parts of salvation out into things that happen distinctly before our eyes is to misrepresent the Reformed understanding of salvation.
Well articulated, nikolai. Every blessing to the ones who understand.

TweetyBird

The book of John was written to the House of Israel, not to the Gentiles. Learn to "Rightly Divide" the word." Also, do a more "In-depth study" about the history of John Calvin before continuing to defend him.

Which books of the Bible do you believe are written to the Gentiles?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Last edited:

TweetyBird

Unfortunately, "rightly divide" means something very different to our dispensational brethren than it does to covenantalists.

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...-saved-under&p=4754205&viewfull=1#post4754205

AMR

I pretty much got that part. I did not know that "rightly dividing" was a list of 10 points one must adhere to. It seems pretty restrictive. I wonder whatever happened to reading God's Word for the joy of it. Out the window with that idea huh? What I don't get is what books of the Bible are not for Gentiles. We seem to have a pretty thin Book, if one at all :help: not to mention how we are saved without a covenant - it's a MAD MAD world - pun intended :eek:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I pretty much got that part. What I don't get is what books of the Bible are not for Gentiles. We seem to have a pretty thin Book, if one at all :help:
Unfortunately, it comes down to a misunderstanding of the Israel of God underlying the dispensationalist's notions of ethnicities and Zionism.

AMR

TweetyBird

Romans through Philemon - Paul's writings. plus the 5 Chinese Books

Interesting. Romans speaks to the Jews. So does 1 & 2 Corinthians, Gal, Eph, Col, Philipp, 1 & 2 Tim, 1 & 2 Thess, and Titus. It looks like the Gentiles are :dead::execute::eek:linger:

Last edited:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Interesting. Romans speaks to the Jews. So does 1 & 2 Corinthians, Gal, Eph, Col, Philipp, 1 & 2 Tim, 1 & 2 Thess, and Titus. It looks like the Gentiles are SOL.

Paul speaks to the Jews in his writings as GOD set the nation aside, thus declaring all both Jew and Gentile equal under sin and unbelief.

TweetyBird

Paul speaks to the Jews in his writings as GOD set the nation aside, thus declaring all both Jew and Gentile equal under sin and unbelief.

I was told that those books written to the Jews were not for the Gentiles. All the books of the NT were written to the Jews, so that means the Gentiles do not have a Bible.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was told that those books written to the Jews were not for the Gentiles. All the books of the NT were written to the Jews, so that means the Gentiles do not have a Bible.

Matthew through Acts and Hebrews through revelation are written to the Jews. Romans through Philemon are written to the Gentiles.

Rosenritter

How do you believe the Gospel when You believe that Christ death alone failed to save sinners that He died for ?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

I can't recall Jesus saying that his death saved anyone. Here is what he did say:

Joh 12:32-33 KJV
(32) And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
(33) This he said, signifying what death he should die.

The purpose of his death was to draw all men unto him. Technically, his death doesn't do the saving. The living God saves, he is willing to forgive our sins, his death on the cross was the illustration of that forgiveness, and the illustration of that forgiveness was dramatic and clear so that we could understand it. Here are also things that it says we are saved by:

Titus 3:5 His mercy, washing of regeneration, renewing of the Holy Ghost
Ephesians 2:8 By (his) grace
1 Corinthians 15:1-2 By the gospel which we have received
Romans 8:24 We are saved by hope
Romans 5:10 We are saved by his life

Rom 5:10 KJV
(10) For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Romans contrasts the death and life of Christ. The death reconciles us and demonstrates his willingness to show mercy, but we are saved by the acceptance of that mercy and thus saved by his life. I think it is a very silly Calvinist argument to intimate that Christ's sacrifice failed if there be any that will not to turn to him.