ECT Acts realism vs MAD theoretics: Acts 16:3

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Acts 3:19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord...​

SimpleMan77

:chuckle: Yes, they would be of the "many which corrupt the word of God" (2 Corinthians 2:17 KJV)!

It's the Greek word "hopos", and it simply means "that". It's used many, many times in the NT. Here's an example:

And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that (HOPOS) I may come and worship him also.

It's always used like that, meaning direct cause. Peter said repent, be converted so that (HOPOS) you can receive the Holy Ghost.

Isaiah 28:12 also said that the Holy Ghost is the refreshing.

Even if it was to be properly interpreted as "when", the "when" could mean that immediately after they were converted the refreshing would come. When doesn't differentiate between 5 min from now or 5,000 years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Right Divider

Body part
Let me simplify my question: do you believe that a response to the Gospel is required in order to be saved - specifically the response of believing?
Why do you feel the need to capitalize the word "Gospel"?

Yes, we must believe God.

We must trust God when He says that Christ died for our sins.

SimpleMan77

It's the Greek word "hopos", and it simply means "that". It's used many, many times in the NT. Here's an example:

And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that (HOPOS) I may come and worship him also.

It's always used like that, meaning direct cause. Peter said repent, be converted so that (HOPOS) you can receive the Holy Ghost.

Isaiah 28:12 also said that the Holy Ghost is the refreshing.

Even if it was to be properly interpreted as "when", the "when" could mean that immediately after they were converted the refreshing would come. When doesn't differentiate between 5 min from now or 5,000 years from now.

SimpleMan77

I am aware of the corrupted (per)versions, jamie.

Matthew 2:8

Acts 3:19
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when (HOPOS) the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Put "when" in Matthew 2:8 or the other scores of places that the Greek word HOPOS is used and tell me how it makes sense.

"...bring me word again, when I may come and worship Him also"? Doesn't make sense.

SimpleMan77

Acts realism vs MAD theoretics: Acts 16:3

Why do you feel the need to capitalize the word "Gospel"?

Yes, we must believe God.

We must trust God when He says that Christ died for our sins.

Just out of respect I guess.

I also believe that we must believe. Christ's sacrifice saves all who believe. When we respond with faith His sacrifice becomes our personal salvation.

Right Divider

Body part
Matthew 2:8

Acts 3:19
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when (HOPOS) the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Put "when" in Matthew 2:8 or the other scores of places that the Greek word HOPOS is used and tell me how it makes sense.

"...bring me word again, when I may come and worship Him also"? Doesn't make sense.
"that I may come" is in the future. What is so hard about it?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I am aware of the corrupted (per)versions, jamie.

Acts 12:4 KJV, And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Easter in Greek is the Greek pascha. Is there any evidence that Easter was celebrated during the Days of Unleavened Bread?

The KJV is a lot more Catholic oriented than modern versions. I almost never use it.

SimpleMan77

There are many gospels in the Bible. Do you capitalize them all?

Fun facts:

The word "baptize" in its different tenses is used by or about Paul 26 times. The word "mystery" in its different tenses is used by him 20 times.

Barnabas was the first one to "see the grace of God" at work in the church, and as a travel companion of Paul was involved the other two times grace is mentioned before Acts 15.

Peter was the first one to say that we are "saved by the grace of God".

Right Divider

Body part
Fun facts:

The word "baptize" in its different tenses is used by or about Paul 26 times. The word "mystery" in its different tenses is used by him 20 times.

Barnabas was the first one to "see the grace of God" at work in the church, and as a travel companion of Paul was involved the other two times grace is mentioned before Acts 15.

Peter was the first one to say that we are "saved by the grace of God".
FUN FACT: None of that has anything to do the fact that there are many gospels in scripture.

Another fun fact:
Matthew 20:22:23 uses the BAPT* words SIX times and NONE of them refer to water!

Last edited:

SimpleMan77

FUN FACT: None of that has anything to do the fact that there are many gospels in scripture.

Another fun fact:
Matthew 2-:22:23 uses the BAPT* words SIX times and NONE of them refer to water!

Peter asks a question that Paul answers:

1 Peter 4:17
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

Question: What will the end be for those who don't obey the "gospel of God"?

2 Thessalonians 1:8
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Answer: flaming fire. The "gospel of God" in Peter is synonymous with the "gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ" in Paul's writings.