Utah gay man faked being victim of hate attacks

GFR7

Thanks to Musterion for the tip :e4e:

I must confess that I am not in the least surprised, as this must be the 15th such staging of gay hate crimes I've read about in the past few years. :think:

If homophobia is so rampant, why are theses hate crimes always proven to have been staged by the alleged victim?

I think it is irresponsible and appalling for his attorney to make this statement after all the trouble he caused law enforcement officials and after making suspect of bigotry and subject to arrest, the people in his area: What if arrests had been made?

Mr. Tolman, the defense attorney, said his client didn’t have any criminal intent and the outpouring of support after the accusations became public still was a good message.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A man who said that someone had beaten him and carved a gay slur into his arm staged the attacks, authorities in rural Utah said Tuesday.

Millard County Sheriff Robert Dekker said Rick Jones, 21, could face charges after officers investigating the series of reported attacks found inconsistencies in the evidence. The Delta man eventually acknowledged faking the harassment, Sheriff Dekker said.

Brett Tolman, an attorney for Mr. Jones, didn’t deny the sheriff’s claim, saying the reports were a cry for help initially directed toward people close to his client. But Mr. Jones didn’t realize how much attention they would get, the lawyer said.

“I think it’s such good evidence of the difficulties members of the gay community deal with, and some make better choices than others,” Mr. Tolman said.

Mr. Jones has since begun mental health treatment, the lawyer said.

The purported attacks began with a beating at his family’s pizza business in April that left Mr. Jones with head and facial bruising and the words “die fag” carved in his arm.

Five days later, the family’s home was found spray-painted with the same slur. On June 10, a rock and a molotov cocktail were thrown through the window of the home. That same day, the business was spray-painted, broken into and robbed of $1,000.

Mr. Jones told KSL-TV earlier this month he believed he was targeted because he is gay.

Sheriff Dekker said prosecutors are considering possible charges including filing a false report and reckless burning.

Mr. Tolman, the defense attorney, said his client didn’t have any criminal intent and the outpouring of support after the accusations became public still was a good message.

Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox publicly declared his support after the accusations were reported.

Mr. Cox said Tuesday that he’s relieved that the accusations weren’t authentic, but he’s concerned for Mr. Jones and his family and hopes they find “peace and healing.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-carved-into-utah-mans-arm-was/#ixzz3eetj9nLO

GFR7

I know that I have read of dozens of such cases in the past 5 years:

• The woman who faked the guys carving "lesbian" into her stomach and allowed college vigils to be held for her;
  • the guy who said he was beaten by bigots outside a gay bar but webcam proved his wounds were self inflicted;
  • the waitress who got an anti-lesbian message on her bill, but was proven she wrote it herself;
  • the gay dads who were harrassed only they did it themselves;
  • the college lesbian who was caught writing anti-gay slurs in her dorm via webcam after reporting them as crimes;
  • the lesbian couple who were found to have spray painted their own garage door with anti-gay threats after reporting it to police as a crime
And I could go on to name more. Google them. All documented. The joke is on the two of you, and it's coming from gays who know your guilt and how it makes you gullible ;)

Quetzal

I know that I have read of dozens of such cases in the past 5 years:

• The woman who faked the guys carving "lesbian" into her stomach and allowed college vigils to be held for her;
  • the guy who said he was beaten by bigots outside a gay bar but webcam proved his wounds were self inflicted;
  • the waitress who got an anti-lesbian message on her bill, but was proven she wrote it herself;
  • the gay dads who were harrassed only they did it themselves;
  • the college lesbian who was caught writing anti-gay slurs in her dorm via webcam after reporting them as crimes;
  • the lesbian couple who were found to have spray painted their own garage door with anti-gay threats after reporting it to police as a crime
And I could go on to name more. Google them. All documented.
Dozens = always? I will contact Merriam-Webster immediately!

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yeah, funny that. Well, a few faked cases mean bigotry and hate crimes don't exist. Glad we have TOL's expert here to explain these things to us.

GFR7

Dozens = always? I will contact Merriam-Webster immediately!
Oh, so these are no big deal?

Making the citizens in your area subject to questioning and arrest is no big deal?

Allowing colleges to hold candle-lit vigils for something that never happened is no big deal?

Wasting law enforcement's time is no big deal?

Lying to media and the public is no big deal?

Nice to know. I say 10 years in prison for anyone who pulls this crap.

GFR7

Yeah, funny that. Well, a few faked cases mean bigotry and hate crimes don't exist. Glad we have TOL's expert here to explain these things to us.
You wouldn't be laughing if you were made subject to questioning and arrest for something that never happened.

Quetzal

Oh, so these are no big deal?

Making the citizens in your area subject to questioning and arrest is no big deal?

Allowing colleges to hold candle-lit vigils for something that never happened is no big deal?

Wasting law enforcement's time is no big deal?

Lying to media and the public is no big deal?

Nice to know. I say 10 years in prison for anyone who pulls this crap.
Funny, I don't remember saying any of those things.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Even if this stroy is a lie, which is reprehensible, brutal violence against gay people in America is much more common than right-wingers are willing to admit, and one or two instances of fraudulent reports does not disprove the reality of hate crimes against gay people .
So what ? There are countless cases of Christians falsely whining about being "persecuted " by gay people and the government , despite the fact that "persecution " of Christians is non-existent in America .

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And I could go on to name more. Google them. All documented. The joke is on the two of you, and it's coming from gays who know your guilt and how it makes you gullible ;)

You mean you WILL go on. Tell us something we don't already know.

GFR7

If I'm laughing at anything on this thread it'll be you.

From Gianfranco, to Granite, with all sincerity:

Spoiler
raspberry.jpg

Granite

Hall of Fame
You asked yesterday why Holocaust survivors deserved reparations. Explain why you've got a moral lesson to impart to the rest of us. In fact, better yet...don't.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You asked yesterday why Holocaust survivors deserved reparations. Explain why you've got a moral lesson to impart to the rest of us. In fact, better yet...don't.

:nono: I missed that one. This is what he does though. When he isn't bashing gays, he is bashing women and even gets into discussion about *real rape victims*. I am not surprised to see his dismissal of Holocaust survivors.

GFR7

I WAS BEING RHETORICAL, AS IN ,

"ASK YOURSELF, WHY IT IS THAT HOLOCAUST VICTIMS RECEIVE REPARATIONS,
AND SEE IF YOU CAN APPLY IT ELSEWHERE" --

250px--Blowing_a_raspberry.ogv.jpg

Quetzal

I love the fact that when a conservative uses a literary device, it's a misunderstanding. When a liberal does it, it's an attack.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Were the holocausts survivors and should they receive reparations?

Granite

Hall of Fame

250px--Blowing_a_raspberry.ogv.jpg

The answer is "yes." So if that was your "point" it was a little dull.