Math prof attacks the "open" explanation for 2TD

Mr Jack

bob b said:
Do you really believe that the DNA coding system arose as a result of random mutations?

I believe the differing DNA coding systems arose through a mixture of random mutation, natural selection and physics.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr Jack said:
What do you mean by that? I don't think it is fundemental law at all. It's a statistical property that is emergent from the behaviour of more fundemental laws. It does, after all, occur in neither General Relativity or Quantum Field Theory - which are our current most fundamental laws of Physics.

As bobmyers has said:

This is simple an assertion, containing neither evidence nor argument.

The Laws of Thermodynamics seem to be the most firmly established as any in physics.

As Isaac Asimov once titled an article on that subject, "If You Bet Against The Laws Of Thermodynamics You Will Lose".

I believe the differing DNA coding systems arose through a mixture of random mutation, natural selection and physics.

Do you also believe in perpetual motion, and if not why not?

Mr Jack

If OEJ would clarify what he means by fundamental then the question can be answered more fully, as it stands we are left to draw our own conclusions.

The Laws of Thermodynamics are certainly well established (although as I've pointed out before, they are violated at the quantum level), but that does not make them fundamental.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr Jack said:
If OEJ would clarify what he means by fundamental then the question can be answered more fully, as it stands we are left to draw our own conclusions.

The Laws of Thermodynamics are certainly well established (although as I've pointed out before, they are violated at the quantum level), but that does not make them fundamental.

The word "violated" is inappropriate. It would be better to say that since they are statistical in nature they can not be directly applied at the quantum level.

One Eyed Jack

Mr Jack said:
What do you mean by that?

Look it up. I'm not playing the definition game.

I don't think it is fundemental law at all.

You're entitled to your opinion.

It's a statistical property that is emergent from the behaviour of more fundemental laws. It does, after all, occur in neither General Relativity or Quantum Field Theory - which are our current most fundamental laws of Physics.

Those are theories. They aren't considered scientific laws.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I had been under the impression from reading the professor's article that he had presented a very easy and valid way to address the question of "open" systems.

It should be obvious that shining sunlight on something will not cause it to become more "ordered" or in technical terms to reduce the entropy of anything.

The "open" argument stinks and the professor has explained quite well why that is.

Mr Jack

One Eyed Jack said:
Look it up. I'm not playing the definition game.

How exactly do you expect me to 'look up' what you think? Only you can tell me that.

Those are theories. They aren't considered scientific laws.

Laws and theories are the same thing. The only difference is what the fashion for naming them was at the time.

Mr Jack

bob b said:
The word "violated" is inappropriate. It would be better to say that since they are statistical in nature they can not be directly applied at the quantum level.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics is statistical, but the first is not. It is the first that I was refering to.

Mr Jack

bob b said:
It should be obvious that shining sunlight on something will not cause it to become more "ordered" or in technical terms to reduce the entropy of anything.

And yet, it does that very thing every single day. In fact, your entire existence is based on the fact that it can do that.

It is, after all, how plants grow.

Johnny

Oh boy. The exact opposite, in fact, should be blatantly obvious to a lover of science.

He's right: as long as there is an energy input things can become more ordered. The problem is that he uses a false analogy in a way. Computers don't spontaneously arrange themselves NOT because the second law prevents it, but because of the near statistical impossibility. Some may counter that the statistical impossibility of humans coming together prevents that from ever happening. You're right. Humans didn't blow together one day. We started as a single replicating protocell.

But alas, the mathematician makes the mistake of titling his paper "Evolution's Thermodynamic Failure" thereby directly stating this is supposed to be an argument against evolution. I don't know how much time he has devoted to studying biology, but he may have noticed that life and television sets have some very different properties.

Life replicates. It recreates itself. But not exact copies, slightly different copies. And these copies have different traits. Good traits allow more replication. And hence, a good trait will have a selective advantage. TVs do not self replicate. They do not produce variable offspring who have different selective advantages. If he is trying to say that evolution is false because its like a TV set coming together and thats impossible, then he has made a false analogy--one so horribly blatant even he should have picked up on it.

The rest of his article goes on to rehash the typical intelligent design crap.

This is one of the most empty arguments I've seen. He just put words down and pretended to make a point. Nothing to see here.

billwald

"Laws and theories are the same thing. The only difference is what the fashion for naming them was at the time."

Not back in the days of Newton and alchemy. They equated "laws" and incantations. One did the proper procedure and said the proper prayer and God was forced to produce results.

Stratnerd

The rest of his article goes on to rehash the typical intelligent design crap.
LOL. Took the word right out of my mouth.

A convincing argument in something that can be quantified is to present the data. Since entropy can be quantified you think he'd add that (in addition to plugging his book).

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We started as a single replicating protocell.
And if I understand you correctly, you would go on to say that a mutation in the DNA of this protocell caused changes, and the changed cell (selected by natural selection) received more mutations and got selected... on and on... until human DNA was finally the form of this DNA. Is that correct?

Johnny

And if I understand you correctly, you would go on to say that a mutation in the DNA of this protocell caused changes, and the changed cell (selected by natural selection) received more mutations and got selected... on and on... until human DNA was finally the form of this DNA. Is that correct?
Roughly, yes. I agree with the general idea you're presenting. I disagree with the word "until". It implies both a goal and a finishing point, of which there is not. It's also worth noting that the mutations must be heritable. I'm sure you understand both of these points, just wanted to note them.

Stratnerd

I think it much more likely that there wasn't a single protocell but a community of leaky protocells and leaky cells. Leaky referring to RNA/DNA being exchanged between organisms, a phenomenon we see in today's bacteria (and between bacteria and eukaryotes). So you have lineages evolving and exchanging functional genes.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr Jack said:
And yet, it does that very thing every single day. In fact, your entire existence is based on the fact that it can do that.

It is, after all, how plants grow.

You are confused. The seed is as ordered as the plant will ever be.

Johnny

The seed is as ordered as the plant will ever be.
No it's not. And even if it were, what about the atoms scattered randomly throughout the soil that the plant used to organized to create the seed?

It is not "downhill" from the seed, or embryo. In fact it is an uphill battle that takes place every single day. Ultimately, all the energy that is consumed to maintain our order comes from the sun.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
No it's not. And even if it were, what about the atoms scattered randomly throughout the soil that the plant used to organized to create the seed?

It is not "downhill" from the seed, or embryo. In fact it is an uphill battle that takes place every single day. Ultimately, all the energy that is consumed to maintain our order comes from the sun.

You are forgetting that the cell is essentially a "machine" and like human designed machines like refrigerators can use external energy to reduce entropy because these machines are built (designed?) to do so.

It is true that the energy to run any machine ultimately comes from the Sun, but without the machine being there entropy will inevitably increase. Of course, the entropy of the overall system, considering all inputs and outputs will increase, just as it does for the refrigerator.

Now the professor has nicely explained all this by observing that any energy coming from the Sun will not lead to a reduction of the entropy of the total system unless that input energy is itself at an average entropy level already below that of the overall system it is entering.

Of course if the sunlight strikes a plant then this "machine" is able to use such energy to lower, or at least maintain, the entropy level of the plant.

Thus, the professor seems to have falsified the "open system" argument used by evolutionist sites on the internet.

So I guess the unanswered question really is, "Where did the first entropy reducing machine come from?"

Johnny

Now the professor has nicely explained all this by observing that any energy coming from the Sun will not lead to a reduction of the entropy of the total system unless that input energy is itself at an average entropy level already below that of the overall system it is entering.
You're saying that the energy of a system CAN be decreased, but only by machines? You can go outside with your vial of chemicals and demonstrate that you don't, in-fact, need machines. All you need is free energy.

Thus, the professor seems to have falsified the "open system" argument used by evolutionist sites on the internet.
First, you'll remember that the professor was supposed to be mounting an argument against evolution. You'll also remember, being the sharp creationist that you are, that abiogenesis and evolution are very different. Evolution takes over with the first replicating cell. You've already said, "You are forgetting that the cell is essentially a "machine" and ... can use external energy to reduce entropy...". So it seems that you have refuted this professor's argument on your own.

So I guess the unanswered question really is, "Where did the first entropy reducing machine come from?"
Seems like you're talking about abiogenesis, not evolution. As I mentioned before, you don't need a machine to reduce entropy.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
You're saying that the energy of a system CAN be decreased, but only by machines? You can go outside with your vial of chemicals and demonstrate that you don't, in-fact, need machines. All you need is free energy.

No, energy per se is not what I am discussing: it is entropy, a statistical concept that was originally formulated to cover heat transfer, but as the professor has pointed out, has more recently been expanded to cover a broader class of phenomena..

First, you'll remember that the professor was supposed to be mounting an argument against evolution. You'll also remember, being the sharp creationist that you are, that abiogenesis and evolution are very different. Evolution takes over with the first replicating cell. You've already said, "You are forgetting that the cell is essentially a "machine" and ... can use external energy to reduce entropy...". So it seems that you have refuted this professor's argument on your own.

It would seem to some that this would be true. But the reality is that the mechanism of random mutations plus natural selection cannot reduce entropy, or in other words cause an existing creature to "morph" into one which has a higher degree of ordering than what has already been programmed into the fertilized egg cell.

Seems like you're talking about abiogenesis, not evolution. As I mentioned before, you don't need a machine to reduce entropy.

On the contrary you do. Can you give us an example of entropy reduction that doesn't make use of a machine (machine in this case understood in it broadest sense)?