ECT "This Generation"

whitestone

One of Darby's contemporaries, John Thomas, who founded the Christadelphians, was an 1848'er. Thomas taught that 1848 would be the end of the world (and 1864)

"The judgment upon Ireland has been siting since 1786. That crisis was the beginning of a retribution of seventy-five years. This period is called 'THE END' - the end of the last period, of the continuance of modern Europe, as organised into ten kingdoms, and the ''Holy Roman Empire' in the days of Charlemagne. A.D. 1786 was the beginning of the end, 1848 the concluding of the end, nd 1864 the termination of the period. The events of these seventy-five years are the fulfilment of the following words concerning modern Europe: 'The Judgment shall sit and they shall take away of his (the Little Horn's or Holy Roman) dominion, to consume and destroy it to the end.' ... After 1864 Ireland and the rest of the world will enter upon a new era, in which peace, righteousness, and blessedness will reign in the midst of the nations."

The Christadelphians, just like the Mormons, Dispensationalists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, and Christian Science, were all invented during "the age of the cults".

lol, and see John Thomas was not I think quoting Darby but rather Robert Fleming the younger http://historicist.info/articles/postscript.html This is also quoted in the peoples new testament by B.W.Johnson,,,

ClimateSanity

Please stop embarrassing yourself!

Let's look at what Paul said:

(Col 1:26 KJV) Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

If your ridiculous theory was true, Paul would have used the phrase "this generation" in the above verse.

However, Paul didn't. Paul used the word "generations" to describe all the people who lived before he did.

"from generations" = people who lived before Paul.

"this generation" = the generation of Jews alive during the life of Paul and Jesus.

You didn't answer his question.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
More proof that Preterism is correct, and Dispensationalism is wrong:

(1 Cor 7:29 KJV) But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;

Why did Paul say "the time is short"?

ANSWER: Because Paul knew the coming of the Lord was just a few years away.

Darby followers have no explanation for 1 Cor 7:29

john w

Hall of Fame
I feel sorry for you guys.

You guys can't explain...
Let's compile a list of ridiculous theories I have encountered on TOL from Darby Followers:

1) "this" really means "that"
2) "generation" means the race of Jews
3) Some stones were still left standing
4) A secret subjunctive clause
5) "this" is not a demonstrative adjective, it's a pronoun
6) "all these things" in Matt 24:34 only pertains to the things up to verse 3
7) "this generation" refers to every human since Adam

STP, I included your latest ridiculous theory at #7, right after your previous ridiculous theory (#6) that you used to use.

But don't feel bad, Jerry Shugart switched from #5 to #2

Danoh uses #3, and musterion uses #4

I feel sorry for you, obsessed, unemployed, Craigie pie, and your "family," who sees you every day, hour after hour on TOL, grinding your teeth, abandoning them, to satisfy your obsession..

You AD 70-ist/Preterist cult members can't explain who this everyone is, who allegedly saw an invisible Saviour return in AD 70. Let's compile a list of ridiculous theories I have encountered on TOL from Russell followers, such as you::

"Jesus never physically returned, and never will physically return to planet earth after He ascended to Heaven"-Preterist deceiver Tet.

vs.

“And that is what happened. The Lord came in a way that everyone could see Him. However, He never touched planet earth, and when this event was over, He then sat on the throne in Heaven NOT on planet earth.”-Tet.

"Tet is a preterist that believes Christ already returned in 70 AD viathe Roman Army."-Tambora, on another TOL thread

"Correct, and thanks for making it clear that it was the Roman army that was His return."-stupid Craigie

"The Roman army destroyed Jerusalem in 70AD. That is what Jesus meant when He said He will return."-Gomer Tet.

Hebrews 9:28 KJV
So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

"Everyone" that saw Him, according to Craigie's "theory,", was Josephus, and Wikipedia. Wait....According to Craigie the Clown, he did not return physically, but all of Jerusalem saw him.. And, according to Craigie the Clown, signs are invisible...

Craigie the Clown's "theory: The Roman army was the second coming, and was looking for him-that is the "them" in Hebrews 9:28 KJV. My infallible AD 70/Pteterist "teachers" taught me,like Hank Hanegraaf, from whom I copy'npaste/spam.

whitestone

lol, and see John Thomas was not I think quoting Darby but rather Robert Fleming the younger http://historicist.info/articles/postscript.html This is also quoted in the peoples new testament by B.W.Johnson,,,

lol, and see most of the more evolved preterits would have read through the link I gave and said "it doesn't mention 1848!",,and then I would have given https://books.google.com/books?id=J...apocalyptical key robert fleming text&f=false ,,,but the first link seemed to strike home.

Interplanner

More proof that Preterism is correct, and Dispensationalism is wrong:

(1 Cor 7:29 KJV) But this I say, brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;

Why did Paul say "the time is short"?

ANSWER: Because Paul knew the coming of the Lord was just a few years away.

Darby followers have no explanation for 1 Cor 7:29

That's right. I remember the day I collected them all at the D'ist college I attended and the professors simply wouldn't talk about it.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hmmm preterists seem a lil worried.

Nope.

We don't have a problem explaining what "this generation" means. It means exactly what it says.

You guys however, have so far come up with seven different explanations, with none of them being correct.

SaulToPaul 2

You guys can't explain Matt 24:34/"this generation", so you guys keep coming up with one ridiculous theory after another.

Per Tet, this happened in 70ad. Ridiculous theory, indeed!!

Ezekiel 37
22 And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all.

23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.

24 And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them.

25 And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever.

26 Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.

27 My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

28 And the heathen shall know that I the Lord do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.

SaulToPaul 2

Nope.

We don't have a problem explaining what "this generation" means. It means exactly what it says.

You guys however, have so far come up with seven different explanations, with none of them being correct.

How long is the regeneration?
How long is/was this generation?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

You guys can't explain Matt 24:34/"this generation", so you guys keep coming up with one ridiculous theory after another.

Let's compile a list of ridiculous theories I have encountered on TOL from Darby Followers:

1) "this" really means "that"
2) "generation" means the race of Jews
3) Some stones were still left standing
4) A secret subjunctive clause
5) "this" is not a demonstrative adjective, it's a pronoun
6) "all these things" in Matt 24:34 only pertains to the things up to verse 3
7) "this generation" refers to every human since Adam

STP, I included your latest ridiculous theory at #7, right after your previous ridiculous theory (#6) that you used to use.

But don't feel bad, Jerry Shugart switched from #5 to #2

Danoh uses #3, and musterion uses #4

Clete already thoroughly destroyed preterism in some recent posts on a open view/preterist thread, your drivel just doesn't stand up to scrutiny

SaulToPaul 2

Tet, allegedly quoting me: 7) "this generation" refers to every human since Adam

I think it is possible that this generation refers to the one before The Regeneration.
The LORD ties the generation of vipers all the way back to the beginning.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tet, allegedly quoting me: 7) "this generation" refers to every human since Adam

I think it is possible that this generation refers to the one before The Regeneration.
The LORD ties the generation of vipers all the way back to the beginning.
It's possible in that the word "generation" is about a group with a common denominator, something distinct that separates them from others.
Just as the generation of vipers you mention which groups all vipers together, not just the ones living at the time.

So you have to determine the use of the word in context.
I believe the context of Jesus' speech through Matthew 23 and 24, it is about Israel.
Especially since HE already tells us who the generation is here:
Matthew 23:35-37 KJV​
(35) That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.​
(36) Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.​
(37) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

So you already have the generation specified, and then HE mentions this generation again within the same speech in 24:34.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Per Tet, this happened in 70ad. Ridiculous theory, indeed!!

Ezekiel 37
22 And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all.

23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.

24 And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them.

25 And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever.

26 Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.

27 My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

28 And the heathen shall know that I the Lord do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.

This prophecy is fulfilled spiritually by all those saved by grace and brought into Christ's Kingdom according to the New and Better Covenant.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This prophecy is fulfilled spiritually by all those saved by grace and brought into Christ's Kingdom according to the New and Better Covenant.
Israel was a literal kingdom, not a spiritual kingdom.
Israel's kingdom will be restored as promised.
It's not a restoring of a spiritual kingdom, but a literal kingdom.

If, as you say, the elect were selected into the kingdom before birth, then there is no restoration for them.
For that "spiritual" kingdom of yours was never in disarray.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Israel was a literal kingdom, not a spiritual kingdom.

Agreed.

Israel's kingdom will be restored as promised.
It's not a restoring of a spiritual kingdom, but a literal kingdom.

I do not believe the literal, national Israel will ever be restored, but individual Jews are part of the spiritual Kingdom of Christ according to His grace and regeneration of the Holy Spirit.

If, as you say, the elect were selected into the kingdom before birth, then there is no restoration for them.
For that "spiritual" kingdom of yours was never in disarray.

Every soul regenerated in heart and gifted with faith in Jesus Christ, were first born as corrupted sons of Adam. Jew and Gentile alike. Young and old alike. All the world stands guilty before God, until and unless He shows them mercy and raises them to new spiritual life in His body.

Even those chosen in Him before the foundation of the world. Ephesians 2:1-10

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Agreed.

I do not believe the literal, national Israel will ever be restored, but individual Jews are part of the spiritual Kingdom of Christ according to His grace and regeneration of the Holy Spirit.

Every soul regenerated in heart and gifted with faith in Jesus Christ, were first born as corrupted sons of Adam. Jew and Gentile alike. Young and old alike. All the world stands guilty before God, until and unless He shows them mercy and raises them to new spiritual life in His body.

Even those chosen in Him before the foundation of the world. Ephesians 2:1-10
But none of them can be kicked out of the kingdom.
So what restoration is needed of that kingdom?
When was that kingdom ever thrown into a state of disarray that it needed to be restored?