Wastewater injection causes earthquakes

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The earth is flat. Man made global warming. The universe is billions of years old. DuPont put holes in the ozone layer...pick your made up science.

fzappa13

Are you saying that the dramatic increase in the frequency and strength of Oklahoma earthquakes since 2009 is solely attributable to "the brevity of efforts to record these occurrences?"

What I'm saying is I recently moved from the county where the heirs of the guy that invented the seismic system of measuring earthquakes live (that would be one generation removed) and to state that Oklahoma or any place else had never previously experienced a 3.0 magnitude earth quake is ... well ... silly. We just embraced this method of measurement recently. What we know of Oklahoma's history of earthquakes would rattle in a thimble.

... and then there is the Bible and what it has to say on the subject.

fzappa13

Please also understand that you are stating that removal and replacement of liquids from several hundred to several thousand feet are effecting tectonic plates that are many dozens to hundreds of miles thick and causing quakes whose hypocenters are that deep as well.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
to state that Oklahoma or any place else had never previously experienced a 3.0 magnitude earth quake is ... well ... silly.

That wasn't what was stated. Here it is again:

Before 2009, there were virtually no earthquakes in Oklahoma above 3.0. Since 2009, Oklahoma has been setting records for earthquakes. Why? :think:

"Virtually no..." means some but rare.

PureX

Those aren't earthquakes, that rumbling is just satan laughing at the depths of our stupidity and greed.

Last edited:

musterion

Please also understand that you are stating that removal and replacement of liquids from several hundred to several thousand feet are effecting tectonic plates that are many dozens to hundreds of miles thick and causing quakes whose hypocenters are that deep as well.

Human co2 has caused the sun to go quiet, other times causes the sun to be hyperactive, and keeps aliens from answering SETI.

Greg Jennings

Okay, so, now on to the next point. This "waste water" being injected into wells is that which came out of the wells in the first place. It is largely salt water that has some residual hydrocarbon content. This is done for two reasons; it gives producers somewhere to put the water but, more importantly, it forces what oil is left in the formation to the surface where it may be more easily collected.

One would think that any damage done that would result in a higher instance of earthquakes would result from a change in the status quo (pumping oil and water out) and, if anything, pumping water back in would help ameliorate the situation, not worsen it.

Fracking pumps water into areas along fault lines. That lubricates the faults and allows the crust to more easily slide past each other. And of course, when that happens an earthquake is the result

fzappa13

Fracking pumps water into areas along fault lines. That lubricates the faults and allows the crust to more easily slide past each other. And of course, when that happens an earthquake is the result

If you are right then I am sure the Sierra Club will have little trouble winning their proposed suit ... perhaps you might offer them your services.

Greg Jennings

If you are right then I am sure the Sierra Club will have little trouble winning their proposed suit ... perhaps you might offer them your services.

I was unaware there was a suit. They should have no trouble winning it if it's based on Oklahona seismic activity. The differences since they started fracking from before are jaw-dropping

fzappa13

I was unaware there was a suit. They should have no trouble winning it if it's based on Oklahona seismic activity. The differences since they started fracking from before are jaw-dropping

...and then there are there are the rest of the areas in which this activity is going on without Oklahoma's experience. Not that I am potential counsel against your notion but ... your rhetorical underwear seems to be a bit threadbare ... if existent at all.

BTW, there are certain benefits to following links offered ... if you had followed mine you would have discovered the proposed litigation I referenced.

Greg Jennings

...and then there are there are the rest of the areas in which this activity is going on without Oklahoma's experience. Not that I am potential counsel against your notion but ... your rhetorical underwear seems to be a bit threadbare ... if existent at all.

BTW, there are certain benefits to following links offered ... if you had followed mine you would have discovered the proposed litigation I referenced.

I wasn't doubting your litigation claim. I was just telling you that I wasn't personally aware of any.

If you are fracking but aren't near any fault lines then there probably won't be any problems. There isn't any danger of water causing slippage at areas away from faults. However, Oklahoma does have numerous fault lines, and the water from fracking has lubricated them and forced the rocks to slip past one another, generating the rash of small earthquakes that Oklahona has seen recently.

You do understand the whole fault situation, correct? What they are and how water affects them?

fzappa13

I wasn't doubting your litigation claim. I was just telling you that I wasn't personally aware of any.

Actually there is no litigation as of yet only the threat of it. My point is you would know this if you took the time to follow the links offered.

If you are fracking but aren't near any fault lines then there probably won't be any problems. There isn't any danger of water causing slippage at areas away from faults. However, Oklahoma does have numerous fault lines, and the water from fracking has lubricated them and forced the rocks to slip past one another, generating the rash of small earthquakes that Oklahona has seen recently.

I had a really detailed post worked up about this whole subject and it fell into the abyss when I tried to preview it. Suffice to say the only such activity of note currently is occurring in Oklahoma and to make such pronouncements as you have offered with such limited data is, at best, premature. Suffice to say there is a lot more to the subjects of plate tectonics, hydrodynamics, fracking and injection wells than can be encompassed in such as simplistic manner as you offered. That is if one is in any way interested in diligence.

You do understand the whole fault situation, correct? What they are and how water affects them?

No. And I would suggest that you don't either.