ECT "This Generation"

themuzicman

Matt 24:32 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I say to you, this [x]generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

Dispensationalists have been hawking this verse to refer to the formation of Israel as a nation indicating end times for many years.

However, 1949 was 67 years ago. 1967 was 49 years ago. 1973 was 43 years ago. A "generation" was at most 40 years to Christ, which is why we had "88 reasons Christ will return in 1988" and "89 reasons Christ will return in 1989", and other false prophecies regarding the end times.

The time frame for "this generation" has run out.

Thus, dispensationalists must have some other definition for "this generation." Perhaps one of them would like to tell us. At this point, I have really no other recourse other than to consider dispensationalism dead.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Dispensationalists have been hawking this verse to refer to the formation of Israel as a nation indicating end times for many years.

However, 1949 was 67 years ago. 1967 was 49 years ago. 1973 was 43 years ago. A "generation" was at most 40 years to Christ, which is why we had "88 reasons Christ will return in 1988" and "89 reasons Christ will return in 1989", and other false prophecies regarding the end times.

Thus, dispensationalists must have some other definition for "this generation." Perhaps one of them would like to tell us. At this point, I have really no other recourse other than to consider dispensationalism dead.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if any of the dispies can or will take up your question.

It has been taught to me that "generation" had less to do with national Israel given a specific time-line, but more to do with the present reign of Jesus Christ with His people (church); all of whom were and are being brought into the New Covenant since His resurrection to the present day. This "generation" is a spiritual stock, company of souls, and/or kin, which are the actual offspring of Christ.

Danoh

It could not have been the view of those who had lived prior to 1948 who had believed in an Israel to be regathered one day.

Not even Darby could have held a 1948 view.

And it has never been the view of all Mid-Acts Dispies (as if all are some sort of a one size fits all).

Actually, you're (mostly) talking about Futurists and Acts 2 Dispies as to this issue.

Do your homework.

Wick Stick

You should make the question more general, so it can apply to everyone:

Who is 'this generation' in Luke 21:32?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I thought a bible generation was 3 score + 10

But I have never thought to fix any dates by that, but things are sure hetting up are they not?

The full word is "the fig tree and ALL the trees" I do not equate Israel with the fig tree.

And I believe the trib precedes the coming again of our Lord "after the tribulation of those days....they will see the son of man coming n the clouds of heaven"

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This has been explained here before many times in detail.
Here's the short version.

"generation"
Greek -
γενεα (genea)
Can refer to a family, stock, nation, race.
Can be applied to all of group with some sort of a meaningful distinction, no matter when they lived.

As in:
1 Peter 2:9 KJV​
(9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:​

Wick Stick

This has been explained here before many times in detail.
Here's the short version.

"generation"
Greek -
γενεα (genea)
Can refer to a family, stock, nation, race.
Can be applied to all of group with some sort of a meaningful distinction, no matter when they lived.

As in:
1 Peter 2:9 KJV​
(9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:​
So, if Jesus wasn't referring to a chronological generation, who exactly was he grouping together? All believers? All Jews?

Jarrod

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, if Jesus wasn't referring to a chronological generation, who exactly was he grouping together? All believers? All Jews?

Jarrod
I believe it to be the Jews/Israel.
That's who Jesus is speaking to.
That's who Jesus was sent to. (Matt 15:24)

Matthew 23:35-37 KJV
(35) That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
(36) Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
(37) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

All about Israel.

Wick Stick

The Olive Tree metaphor is just that; a metaphor.
Aren't they all metaphors or allegories? I'm pretty sure none of the countries are actually trees.

Who/what does the olive tree represent? How about the fig tree?

(I have the Olive tree for Judah, and the fig representing Israel, FWIW)

Jarrod

Wick Stick

I believe it to be the Jews/Israel.
That's who Jesus is speaking to.
That's who Jesus was sent to. (Matt 15:24)

Matthew 23:35-37 KJV
(35) That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
(36) Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
(37) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

All about Israel.
Thank you. That answer actually makes plenty of sense.

Jarrod

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you. That answer actually makes plenty of sense.

Jarrod
You're welcome.
Glad you saw what I was getting at with such little information.
Kudos!

Not only does it fit grammatically, as "generation" can refer to a specific group with a common denominator regardless of when they lived.
Like "generation of vipers" groups you with all the rest of the vipers.
But it also fits theologically, as Israel and it's seed are promised to remain before God forever.

Isaiah 66:22 KJV
(22) For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

"This generation" (Israel) will see the Lord's return to restore the nation once again.
God did not promise this to any other nation.
So no matter what nations are around at the time of Christ's return, Israel is the only nation promised that absolutely has to be there.

Danoh

You're welcome.
Glad you saw what I was getting at with such little information.
Kudos!

Not only does it fit grammatically, as "generation" can refer to a specific group with a common denominator regardless of when they lived.
Like "generation of vipers" groups you with all the rest of the vipers.
But it also fits theologically, as Israel and it's seed are promised to remain before God forever.

Isaiah 66:22 KJV
(22) For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

"This generation" (Israel) will see the Lord's return to restore the nation once again.
God did not promise this to any other nation.
So no matter what nations are around at the time of Christ's return, Israel is the only nation promised that absolutely has to be there.

And another gem from a gem - go Tambora!!!

Go Tambora, go!

Wait a minute; that's "go Speed Racer, go!"

Eh - same principle.

You go girl :)