MUST WE CONFESS EVERY SIN TO BE FORGIVEN?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I addressed this in another thread. Repentance from sin is a work and is not the gospel.

We are told to "repent from dead works" which is to stop all our efforts to be good enough to earn heaven. That is "stop trusting in your own righteousness and start trusting in God.

Repentance for salvation is from dead works and toward God.

Do you even know what the word "repent" means?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Is repentance the basis for us working out our own salvation?

Repentance is not just turning from sin--it's turning toward Christ (Ps 27:4 ESV). The only
emoticones_gestos_cruzando-los-dedos2_en.PlanetaEmoticon.com.gif
work you can do--is believe (Ac 16:31).

As a reminder Jamie is number 18 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

Choleric

It means to turn or change ones mind. Like how God repented several times in the Old Testament.

We have to have more context to understand what we are turning from and to in order to understand it in each use. I repents of my diet this morning when I ate 6 donuts.

That is why we are told specifically what we are to turn from and to in order to be saved. It is from dead works toward God. Heb 6:1 and Acts 20:21.

God's Truth

I addressed this in another thread. Repentance from sin is a work and is not the gospel.
It is not part of the gospel? Even though John the baptizer preached it, Jesus Christ himself preached it, and Paul preached it.

Even though Jesus died on the cross for it.

Acts 26:20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.

We are told to "repent from dead works" which is to stop all our efforts to be good enough to earn heaven.
Nowhere are we told to repent from obeying.

Dead works are sin, and dead works are the old works of the law, the purification/ceremonial works that the Jews had to do for over 1,600 years just to be able to worship God.
That is "stop trusting in your own righteousness and start trusting in God.
Trusting God is to trust everything he says. Trusting God is not what you say. Trusting God is not stop obeying God.

Repentance for salvation is from dead works and toward God.

It is never ever a dead work to do what Jesus says to do. How do you ever get that what Jesus taught are dead works?

Is this a dead work:

Matthew 18:3 And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 1:52
He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.

Luke 14:11
For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

So tell us, is obeying Jesus by humbling yourself a dead work?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
So SD if on your last day you have sinned, just a little one, and just before you confess you are in a car accident and die will you be in hell?

Good question for him.

Ssssserpent Dove is afraid of this question.

:eek:linger:
Is the apostle Paul claiming here that he lives in his glorified, incorruptible body? :smokie:

Concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless (Php 3:6b, emphasis mine).

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

It means to turn or change ones mind...

More importantly ones heart (the mind will follow).

Like how God repented several times in the Old Testament.

Yet He spoke about it in the New Testament:

Matthew 4:17

Etc. etc. etc.

We have to have more context to understand what we are turning from and to in order to understand it in each use.

Turning from the old and starting anew (becoming a follower of Christ, i.e. His teachings).

I repents of my diet this morning when I ate 6 donuts.

It appears that someone has a gluttony problem (just don't love your donuts more than God and you'll be fine).

That is why we are told specifically what we are to turn from and to in order to be saved. It is from dead works toward God. Heb 6:1 and Acts 20:21.

It sounds like you just legitimized the word "repentance" as a necessary part of the Christian faith.

Regarding "dead works" : Any chance Jesus was talking about Jewish laws (obeying the Sabbath, not eating pork, not wearing blended materials, etc. etc. etc.) when He was talking about works salvation?

exminister

Originally Posted by exminister View Post
So SD if on your last day you have sinned, just a little one, and just before you confess you are in a car accident and die will you be in hell?

Is the apostle Paul claiming here that he lives in his glorified, incorruptible body? :smokie:

Concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless (Php 3:6b, emphasis mine).

You are blameless now? :noway:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless (Php 3:6b, emphasis mine).] I asked you the question not Paul?

SD is afraid of the question :eek:linger:
:yawn: I asked you what Paul meant by blameless. :chz4brnz:

Did he believe himself to be 100% blameless and without sin? 99%? 82%? :idunno:

What did Paul believe about himself? When you answer this question correctly, you will be answering your question. :smokie:

Queue jeopardy theme (right click, open).