Rewarded According To Works Yet Saved by Grace

iamaberean

Quote Originally Posted by iamaberean View Post
. . . He also told the thief on the cross "this day shall thou be with me in paradise" the thief never died for he went with Jesus to paradise. Not his body, but his soul never died. Did you know that?

Yes, I know that is false doctrine.

Sinning souls shall die (Ezek 18:4, 20). Did you know that?

Be careful about saying something is false when it is God that spoke it.

Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Belief in Jesus overcomes sin and the thief showed his belief in Jesus when he spoke of His kingdom.

Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Last edited:

Samie

Be careful about saying something is false when it is God that spoke it.
That's why I provided the verses where God said sinning souls shall die. And that's against your idea that souls never die. What Jesus told the thief on the cross is NOT saying souls never die.

iamaberean

That's why I provided the verses where God said sinning souls shall die. And that's against your idea that souls never die. What Jesus told the thief on the cross is NOT saying souls never die.
So, I guess you are saying that the thief was still a sinner even though he was confessing that he believed Jesus was God.

Joh 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

I am saying that this man was a believer when he said 'remember me when thou cometh in your kingdom'. by saying that he was stating the fact that he was a believer.
Rom 4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
LORD, I believe!

We are not talking about the body that dies. We are talking about his soul.

As believers our sins are forgiven and our souls will live forever. As believers we have to believe this.

We were all sinners from birth, but Jesus can cover them and when he does our soul lives.

This is liking beating my head with a hammer.:hammer:

Samie

We are not talking about the body that dies. We are talking about his soul.

As believers our sins are forgiven and our souls will live forever. As believers we have to believe this.
I guess you aren't aware of the biblical description of "soul". Have you read somewhere in Scriptures "man became a living soul"?

We were all sinners from birth, . . .
No. We are all IN CHRIST from birth.

but Jesus can cover them and when he does our soul lives.
Jesus has already forgiven all sins on the cross.

This is liking beating my head with a hammer.:hammer:
Don't beat your head with a hammer. That's suicide.

Greek2Me

No contradiction (that I can see). The first state (salvation) comes purely by grace, a gift offered freely by God and only accepted by the sinner (so not considered a "work"). Cleansing and renewal occur as the Holy Spirit moves in and the newborn Child of God is enabled to do good (holy) works through Him.

But since the opportunity to serve is only offered, not compelled, there is reward for those who step out into service and loss of reward for those who COULD have served, but chose not to. Either way, the salvation (by grace) and the reward (of works) are two very distinct conditions, brought about by entirely different means, and producing entirely different results via two distinct judgements. This also accounts for the "non-reward" of good works by sinners, as grace CANNOT be secured by that avenue, and saving grace is the necessary prerequisite for doing "holy" works. The good works of the sinner, no matter how "good" they might be are insufficient to save and are therefore of no value to him in gaining salvation. Having been condemned in the first judgement (for entry or refusal into heaven), there is no second judgement to evaluate his good works, for there is no point; he in effect HAS none...

Samie

No contradiction (that I can see). The first state (salvation) comes purely by grace, a gift offered freely by God and only accepted by the sinner (so not considered a "work").
Acceptance is the act of receiving. So, work. Why would it not be?
But since the opportunity to serve is only offered, not compelled, there is reward for those who step out into service and loss of reward for those who COULD have served, but chose not to.
Loss of reward? Both righteous and unrighteous will be rewarded. Rom 2:5-11
Either way, the salvation (by grace) and the reward (of works) are two very distinct conditions, brought about by entirely different means, and producing entirely different results via two distinct judgements.
Could you specify the two distinct judgments you are referring to and when will each occur? I could then comment on the remaining portion of your post.