Why would God need a hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krsto

If eternal hell is the only just punishment for sin (and totally eliminating the sinner from existence is not an appropriate just punishment) then keeping hell around is not a monument to sin, it is a monument to God's perfect justice.

Your post is a monument to perverting the idea of justice. God's justice is not retributive, it's restorative. Think restoring to a better condition. Justice in the bible is not a legal term.

Krsto

Of course eternal human punishing is a fable, God is not unstable, Christian understanding is what is unstable. Something is wrong with a mind that believes God will hurt humans continually forever and ever and ever and never stop hurting them. But that is how STRONG deception is; the seduction of the Christian mind is the strongest deception that I have ever seen. When something can make you believe that the Merciful Forgiving God of Grace will actually punish humans for 999,999,999 trillion years and more;

you got a serious problem.

Something has perverted the real God in your eyes.

Hey not me I rejected that doctrine long ago. :)

Lon

We all know it's fiction ... well, [we] just kn[o]w it.
If you are happy with it then you've no need to seek a thing out. I wasn't happy with it. I'll not go for the convenient answer, but whatever is the truth and learn to live with it, embrace it. Job 13:15 Anything made up simply to appease a man isn't a religion of God, but of that man and however he casts a god in his/her image. The idols of the past are alive and well today. "My God isn't like the Bible says" is an idol. Habakkuk 2:18

Leave me out of the thread now, I've contributed enough that it is only repetition at this point.

Krsto

If you are happy with it then you've no need to seek a thing out. I wasn't happy with it. I'll not go for the convenient answer, but whatever is the truth and learn to live with it, embrace it. Job 13:15 Anything made up simply to appease a man isn't a religion of God, but of that man and however he casts a god in his/her image. The idols of the past are alive and well today. "My God isn't like the Bible says" is an idol. Habakkuk 2:18

Leave me out of the thread now, I've contributed enough that it is only repetition at this point.

Well, you're operating under the assumption everything in the bible is without error, even such things as Joshua saying God told him to slaughter whole villages of people. I think it's more intellectually honest to think Joshua was embellishing the story of his military conquest than to say the book has no error.

Lon

I find this more intellectually honest than much of the emoting in this thread which amounts to nothing more than idolatry.
God is NOT your emotional sentiment about what you think 'should be.' Such is rationalizing and idolatry, making a god to serve instead of loving and serving the God of the universe, on His terms.
Oh yes, and I thank God for that! Its a horrible slavery to be under; an incredible unseen bondage.
"I don't want to be a slave to that God!" -Mickiel
I know Mikiel, I know. Job 13:15
More Christians are doing it all the time as we get less ignorant.
"I'd rather serve a made-up God who is kinder than that, if that is the way God really is!" -Krsto
I know Krst0, I know. Habakkuk 2:18

Mickiel

Anything that shortens anyone's view of salvation, is a chain of bondage. Because you miss the big picture that is God.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It would be a monument to insanity. If God has such a problem with a human not believing in him that he would punish them alive forever , then the world of reality is being ruled by insanity.[/QUOTIt is time you move on to the different topic. TOL isn't real tolerant of Johnny One Notes. They wear out their welcome. You need to find something else to post about. Please do not open any more threads on this subject. One is enough.

Mickiel

It would be a monument to insanity. If God has such a problem with a human not believing in him that he would punish them alive forever , then the world of reality is being ruled by insanity.[/QUOTIt is time you move on to the different topic. TOL isn't real tolerant of Johnny One Notes. They wear out their welcome. You need to find something else to post about. Please do not open any more threads on this subject. One is enough.

I have no plans on opening another thread with the same subject; why would I do that? Now if you are closing this thread, then say so.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As long as you just stick to one thread and keep the polemic down, the thread will stay open, but is I see too many posts like the one that got you the warning, I will shut the thread down.

Mickiel

As long as you just stick to one thread and keep the polemic down, the thread will stay open, but is I see too many posts like the one that got you the warning, I will shut the thread down.

Do what you have to do, I don't break rules, and I don't beg to keep threads open. You even misunderstood that post you warned me about. You thought I was calling Christians psycho when I said the Christian doctrine of hell teaches that God is psycho. So do your thing man. I will do mine.

Krsto

I find this more intellectually honest than much of the emoting in this thread which amounts to nothing more than idolatry.
God is NOT your emotional sentiment about what you think 'should be.' Such is rationalizing and idolatry, making a god to serve instead of loving and serving the God of the universe, on His terms.

"I don't want to be a slave to that God!" -Mickiel
I know Mikiel, I know. Job 13:15

"I'd rather serve a made-up God who is kinder than that, if that is the way God really is!" -Krsto
I know Krst0, I know. Habakkuk 2:18

Translation: "I'd rather believe my interpretation of an ancient text that makes God out to be a moral monster than just understand biblical literature in all its expressions of allegory." Nice work Lon.

Lon

Translation: "I'd rather believe my interpretation of an ancient text that makes God out to be a moral monster than just understand biblical literature in all its expressions of allegory." Nice work Lon.
No, why would I rather there be one thing or another? I simply want to believe the text. You don't even believe God uses it to communicate accurately. That leaves 'you' filling in gaps (any one and every one 'you' imagine) with whatever made-up god you like. This is nothing but idolatry and self-worship. Whatever the truth, I'll be convinced by one who takes the Bible seriously. That's not you. Your own admission.

Your post is a monument to perverting the idea of justice. God's justice is not retributive, it's restorative. Think restoring to a better condition. Justice in the bible is not a legal term.

Jesus death was a propitiation - it was to satisfy retributive justice. It was so God could be "just". (Romans 3:26) Yes, God deals in those terms. If God does not give out the appropriate punishment for a crime, he is not just.

So do you think people go to "hell" until they learn their lesson and repent? And it is impossible for them to perpetually reject the truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.