Favorite Movies

elohiym

"Po, do not wash your pits in the sacred pool of tears."

KungFuPnda_M2L.jpg

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I don't even think I have a favorite part. Every part's my favorite part.

Maybe that the nerve attacks made Poe giggle. That was a good part.

Buzzword

Finally saw Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai this week.

Truly a masterpiece.
It still blows my mind that this film was released in 1958, yet still holds up among today's hyper-speed action films.
In large part because Kurosawa and company codified so many of the filming and editing techniques which have since become standard for the genre.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The Day the Earth Stood Still is another favorite.

One being able to wipe us all out, and yet he chooses diplomacy even after he is mortally wounded.

He then leaves the earth how he found it...with a warning that mankind's clock is ticking towards a final countdown...

"Gort! Klatu barrada nikti!

Scary sci-fi at its best.

Great classic film. One of my all time favorites. The remake was horrific.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pale Rider, Unforgiven, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Magnificent 7, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Maverick, 3:10 to Yuma (2007), Young Guns and the sequel, Blazing Saddles

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Kingdom of Heaven

Crusade movie.
Christians murder Muslims and other Christians. There's King Baldwin and King Saladin.

It's good- and not for the faint hearted :plain:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The Lion In Winter

the 1968 version with a roaring Peter O'Toole, a snappy Katherine Hepburn, and the very young Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton

Buzzword

Kingdom of Heaven

Crusade movie.
Christians murder Muslims and other Christians. There's King Baldwin and King Saladin.

It's good- and not for the faint hearted :plain:

I love that it not only shows religious fanatics on both sides, but asks the deeper questions about European Christians marching on the "holy land," through Jeremy Irons no less.

The depiction of Saladin as a calm, respectful tactician, in contrast to many of his own men and definitely the Templars, also helps it stand out from the paint-by-numbers period movies that seemed to flood the market around 2005.

The priest who says basically "Oh well, convert to Islam now, ask for forgiveness later" is one of my favorite side characters of any movie ever.

As is the "God wills it!" guy, though the lack of a painful onscreen death for him always leaves me feeling a little disappointed.

Danoh

Pale Rider, Unforgiven, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Magnificent 7, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Maverick, 3:10 to Yuma (2007), Young Guns and the sequel, Blazing Saddles

The Outlaw Josey Wales is definitely one of my favorite films.

My favorite at this time is Ridley Scott's "Gladiator" starring Russell Crowe.

Can't get enough of that film on so many levels...

Danoh

Over Braveheart?

Actually, Braveheart is the better of the two. I just prefer Gladiator over it.

Kind of like which is better on a personal level, though, The Outlaw Josey Wales, or Unforgiven?

That kind of a thing.

Likewise with Sidney Poitier's "To Sir With Love" and "Lilies of the Field" - both are equally infectious..

Danoh

Another favorite is The Last Samurai.

It appears I am into films that explore territory very unfamiliar to their story's protagonist.

The film Passion Fish, starring Mary McDonnell, is like that as well.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Vision Quest- 1985

You just had to list a movie I don't know and have to crib wiki to learn about it. How typical.

It sounds familiar but I can't place it.

Eastwood's trilogy Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly are all good. Hang 'em High.