ECT Why is Jesus called the second Adam or last Adam?

jsjohnnt

1Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit.​

1. You read "quickening spirit" to be a spirit that has the ability to give life, which only Jesus can do.

_______

Jesus IS the last Adam. Context, dude, context.

Cross Reference

1Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit.​

1. You read "quickening spirit" to be a spirit that has the ability to give life, which only Jesus can do.

Words indeed mean something: Lets not overlook the words "was made" or [became] a living spirit

"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death." Romans 8:2 (NASB)

Hearmyvoice

_______

We agree in that the context is important. Please consider the context of the passage, not just the one verse you are considering. Jesus was not Adam...Jesus was not the last Adam/man.

Paul is teaching about man becoming a new creature.

Hearmyvoice

I will consider your application, but I really believe that vv 20-22 establish the context for v 45.

Thank you js. I appreciate your consideration.

1Co 15:20-22 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.​

Christ is the way...the only way. Yet once "the way" is given Paul goes on to speak of us individually, of man and the process, beginning in:

1Co 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?​

Livelystone

Thank you for taking time to "search out a matter." :)

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

The Companion Bible (KJV with notes by E.W. Bullinger) stated "'the Lord,' all the texts omit." Strong's shows the rendering of "the Lord" to be #2962...which can be translated the Lord God or the lord, as in master.

The passage concerns man and his physical and spiritual body. That teaching continues through the verses under discussion:

1Corinthians 15:40-45 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.​

Our first adam/man (our physical/flesh/terrestrial body) is sown in corruption. Our last adam/man (our spiritual/celestial body) is raised as a spirit. When we are raised to eternal life we are not "the Lord from heaven" but we are master out of heaven, which I believe means...His servants, His saints, His elect.

Good post !

I have been trying to get some here to accept the fact that when we die physically the Holy Spirit that is Christ in us who is our new identity returns to God who gave it to us.

Some other verses the naysayers care not to deal with in the topic of Christ in us and the resurrection are..........

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Romans 10:6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above)

As I have said in the past, the soul is a tabernacle (body) for the spirit and those who think they are waiting in a grave for new physical bodies to take to heaven will be waiting forever

Hearmyvoice, IMO you have made a excellent point and I appreciate you sharing it

Blessings to you and yours

Doug

Livelystone

_______

Christ in you is Jesus in you!

The first Adam (spirit of man) is condemend to death while the second Adam (Holy Spirit of Christ in us our hope of glory) is eternal life

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive

TFTn5280

Would you settle for Christ in us?

I can certainly agree that those who receive the Holy Spirit are Christ in us, the hope of Glory; but I cannot agree concerning 1 Cor 15. I'm planted there: the second Man/Adam is Jesus Christ and he alone. But I don't expect to change anyone's mind with one or two posts. I heard a saying a few years back that really hit home. I try to make it a model for living: "Before people will care what you know, they must first know that you care." Have a good day, my friend.

T

Cross Reference

Christ in you is Jesus in you!

The first Adam (spirit of man) is condemend to death while the second Adam (Holy Spirit of Christ in us our hope of glory) is eternal life

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive

Bull! You have no insight into even the simplest of what you are presented for understanding. None __zippo.

Livelystone

Bull! You have no insight into even the simplest of what you are presented for understanding. None __zippo.

The only bull around here is what is coming from your mouth

If you had an inkling of the tuth you would know that because of sin the spirit of Adam is an unclean spirit, and sin is the cause of death.

To most Christians who have past Christianity 101 this is a simple foundational concept of why man needs a savoir

Therefore it is simple to understand why this foundational concept remains over your head

Cross Reference

The only bull around here is what is coming from your mouth

If you had an inkling of the tuth you would know that because of sin the spirit of Adam is an unclean spirit, and sin is the cause of death.

To most Christians who have past Christianity 101 this is a simple foundational concept of why man needs a savoir

Therefore it is simple to understand why this foundational concept remains over your head

You are absolutely correct when you say it is over my head. It is in the stratosphere __ absent of scriptural knowledge!