ECT Why is Jesus called the second Adam or last Adam?

TFTn5280

Actually the words of God to Cain "if you are doing well sin lieth at the door" (my paraphrase) is a reference to a sin offering God provided Cain that would allow him to pass through the door from sin unto grace.

Very informative. And how did Cain reject that offering? By offering up a sacrifice of his own. Relax, brother, we're on the same page.

Hearmyvoice

While keeping in mind both Adam and Jesus are the son's of God, both coming on the scene by the direct Hand of God i.e., innocent, one by creation while the other by procreation: What does the life of Adam have to do with the life of Jesus that He had to be born of Adam's race? Conversely, what was there about Jesus that He had to be born of Adam's race that was purposed for Adam that, Adam failed to perform? What was accomplished by Jesus being sent into the "world" for 3 1/2 years before it could be said He accomplished it after having already lived 30 prior years upon Earth but, mostly in obscurity? Why the need for the great appearing of Him to society to only end in His death anyway?

"Why is Jesus called the second Adam or last Adam"

I haven't read all the replies yet so I'm not sure if this has been stated but would ask....is it Jesus being termed the second or the last Adam? The passage is not referring to Jesus but rather to man, each and every one of us.

1 Corinthians 15:45-49 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man [is the Lord] from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

"Is the Lord" is not in any of the text and should be omitted! Rather it is about man and our flesh bodies that will return to dust while our spiritual/heavenly bodies return to Him.

Cross Reference

"Why is Jesus called the second Adam or last Adam"

I haven't read all the replies yet so I'm not sure if this has been stated but would ask....is it Jesus being termed the second or the last Adam? The passage is not referring to Jesus but rather to man, each and every one of us.

1 Corinthians 15:45-49 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit. Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man [is the Lord] from heaven. As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

"Is the Lord" is not in any of the text and should be omitted! Rather it is about man and our flesh bodies that will return to dust while our spiritual/heavenly bodies return to Him.

Why draw an obvious wrong conclusion? Why not believe for the italics? What is your point for doing so ___ makes me suspicious.

Hearmyvoice

My point, the introduction of obtuseness that no one benefits from.

To understand that the passage refers to Jesus benefits no one. He was not the "last Adam," which is a very strange thing to believe. Rather to know that it refers to us benefits all that hear. As "is the Lord" was added...not in the text, then should we not take the passage as a whole and understand what is being taught?

Livelystone

Interesting,

I only looked at a couple of renderings of this verse but the two that I did have only the word "is" being in italics while "the Lord" is in normal print indicating these words appearing in the original manuscripts

Cross Reference

To understand that the passage refers to Jesus benefits no one. He was not the "last Adam," which is a very strange thing to believe. Rather to know that it refers to us benefits all that hear. As "is the Lord" was added...not in the text, then should we not take the passage as a whole and understand what is being taught?

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

So what cult do espouse?

oatmeal

While keeping in mind both Adam and Jesus are the son's of God, both coming on the scene by the direct Hand of God i.e., innocent, one by creation while the other by procreation: What does the life of Adam have to do with the life of Jesus that He had to be born of Adam's race? Conversely, what was there about Jesus that He had to be born of Adam's race that was purposed for Adam that, Adam failed to perform? What was accomplished by Jesus being sent into the "world" for 3 1/2 years before it could be said He accomplished it after having already lived 30 prior years upon Earth but, mostly in obscurity? Why the need for the great appearing of Him to society to only end in His death anyway?

The second Adam is the one to correct the first Adam's error.

He is the seed of the woman of Genesis 3:15 that would make things right for mankind

The second Adam is a new beginning

Cross Reference

The second Adam is the one to correct the first Adam's error.

He is the seed of the woman of Genesis 3:15 that would make things right for mankind

The second Adam is a new beginning

Jesus didn't correct it. Animal sacrifices, by faith, could do that. Jesus canceled out the penalty which animal sacrifices could not do. He canceled out death associated with the penalty. That freed man to enter into the Presence of a Holy God to worship Him, those in paradise, the "abode of the righteous dead" who were held captive there by Satan, as well.

Hearmyvoice

Interesting,

I only looked at a couple of renderings of this verse but the two that I did have only the word "is" being in italics while "the Lord" is in normal print indicating these words appearing in the original manuscripts

Thank you for taking time to "search out a matter." :)

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

The Companion Bible (KJV with notes by E.W. Bullinger) stated "'the Lord,' all the texts omit." Strong's shows the rendering of "the Lord" to be #2962...which can be translated the Lord God or the lord, as in master.

The passage concerns man and his physical and spiritual body. That teaching continues through the verses under discussion:

1Corinthians 15:40-45 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.​

Our first adam/man (our physical/flesh/terrestrial body) is sown in corruption. Our last adam/man (our spiritual/celestial body) is raised as a spirit. When we are raised to eternal life we are not "the Lord from heaven" but we are master out of heaven, which I believe means...His servants, His saints, His elect.

TFTn5280

Interesting,

The TR includes it. The UBS does not. Regardless, the context is clear: the second Man is Christ.

TFTn5280

The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit

<SNIP>

which I believe means...His servants, His saints, His elect.

Do you believe that His servants, saints, and elect are "quickening" spirits, as in life-giving spirits?

Cross Reference

Thank you for taking time to "search out a matter." :)

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

The Companion Bible (KJV with notes by E.W. Bullinger) stated "'the Lord,' all the texts omit." Strong's shows the rendering of "the Lord" to be #2962...which can be translated the Lord God or the lord, as in master.

The passage concerns man and his physical and spiritual body. That teaching continues through the verses under discussion:

1Corinthians 15:40-45 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.​

Our first adam/man (our physical/flesh/terrestrial body) is sown in corruption. Our last adam/man (our spiritual/celestial body) is raised as a spirit. When we are raised to eternal life we are not "the Lord from heaven" but we are master out of heaven, which I believe means...His servants, His saints, His elect.

That is all so convoluted, who can grasp it. But it is Bullinger and to be expected.

Hearmyvoice

Do you believe that His servants, saints, and elect are "quickening" spirits, as in life-giving spirits?

1Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit.​

1. You read "quickening spirit" to be a spirit that has the ability to give life, which only Jesus can do.

2. I read "quickening spirit" to be a soul that has eternal life, raised in glory. As this "quickening spirit" they are led by the Holy Spirit to hear His Word and teach His Word. It is His Word/Jesus that gives life. It is His elect that hear and take this Word to others.

Quickening spirit has several meanings, given in Strong's. Some are....

I.to produce alive, begat or bear living young

II.to cause to live, make alive, give life

A.by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate

B.to restore to life

C.to give increase of life: thus of physical life

D.of the spirit, quickening as respects the spirit, endued with new and greater powers of life

2Th 1:10 When He shall come to be glorified in His saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed ) in that day.

Eph 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

TFTn5280

1Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit.​

1. You read "quickening spirit" to be a spirit that has the ability to give life, which only Jesus can do.

2. I read "quickening spirit" to be a soul that has eternal life, raised in glory. As this "quickening spirit" they are led by the Holy Spirit to hear His Word and teach His Word. It is His Word/Jesus that gives life. It is His elect that hear and take this Word to others.

I understand, my friend. I think I'll stick with my reading. :) Peace. T