ECT What is your definition of free will?

oatmeal

Free will is real

Maybe you should define your terms.

What do you mean by free will?

Most people who object to free will seem to always include the power to do whatever they imagine they can do.

For instance, someone wants to create a frog. since man cannot create, therefore there is no free will?

Man can imagine what he wants to, think what he wants to, and believe or maybe we should say mentally assent to what he wants to.

Free will does not mean he can accomplish what he imagines he can do.

But is does mean he can freely choose and even will what he thinks, but that does not mean he can achieve what he wills, for man is not omnipotent.

Man, even a man in bondage to our adversary,can and does turn to God because he realizes that there has to be more to life, no man has any excuse to deny God, Romans 1:20

Acts 26:18

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

I Thessalonians 1:9

For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

Deuteronomy 30:19

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Joshua 24:15

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Who here has the will to do things in their life?

Who here will freely and willfully offer up their definition of free will?

Who is willing, besides me, to define what they mean by free will?

Has anyone posting here defined free will besides me?

What is your definition of free will?

oatmeal

What?

People are willing to argue about free will exists, yet are unwilling to define it?

nikolai_42

Man, even a man in bondage to our adversary,can and does turn to God because he realizes that there has to be more to life, no man has any excuse to deny God, Romans 1:20

Acts 26:18

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

I Thessalonians 1:9

For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

Deuteronomy 30:19

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Joshua 24:15

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Who here has the will to do things in their life?

Who here will freely and willfully offer up their definition of free will?

Who is willing, besides me, to define what they mean by free will?

Has anyone posting here defined free will besides me?

What is your definition of free will?

Upon what are your choices based? Can you choose against your will?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your will is your desire. God desires all men be saved, but they choose to reject him.

HisServant

Free will has to do with the options one has based on the constraints of creation and their own world view.

I cannot chose to be a walrus.. or an elephant.. or a fish.

I cannot chose to live on some far off planet in a distant galaxy.

The universe confines us by a definite set of rules.

We are limited.

In much the same way we are unable to chose our own salvation, because it is not a choice available to use. Salvation is a gift of God whereas he chooses us because only he is able to make that choice.

nikolai_42

No but, one can acquiesce.

Actually, anyone in his right mind need not ask the definition of freewill except to enjoy the argument from those who aren't.

Presumably, then, an addict is not in his right mind. If we are in bondage to (addicted to) sin, then doesn't that include anyone who is not in Christ? An addict certainly is "free" not to do that which he is "addicted" to, isn't he (playing on the broad definition of "free" here)? There are those addicts who are addicts and don't care about quitting - but then there are those addicts who want to quit but can't. Do they have free will? Or would you say that the only difference between them and the "willing" addicts is that they (those who want to quit but can't) have deceived themselves?

We have Jesus making our "addictions to sin" far more deep seated even than that...lust/adultery...unjust hatred/murder etc...Can an unregenerate man choose not to lust? Can he rid himself of the hate in his heart?

dreadknought

Your will is your desire. God desires all men be saved, but they choose to reject him.
If God desires all men to be saved, litreally, then there are problems. Not everyone has heard a Gospel presentation. Those that do not hear the Gospel still stand under judgment, have been for quite some time......... can't put that on God's people for lack of missions, nor is it on YHWH for a lack of effectual grace.

Cross Reference

Presumably, then, an addict is not in his right mind. If we are in bondage to (addicted to) sin, then doesn't that include anyone who is not in Christ? An addict certainly is "free" not to do that which he is "addicted" to, isn't he (playing on the broad definition of "free" here)? There are those addicts who are addicts and don't care about quitting - but then there are those addicts who want to quit but can't. Do they have free will? Or would you say that the only difference between them and the "willing" addicts is that they (those who want to quit but can't) have deceived themselves?

We have Jesus making our "addictions to sin" far more deep seated even than that...lust/adultery...unjust hatred/murder etc...Can an unregenerate man choose not to lust? Can he rid himself of the hate in his heart?

Addiction? Choose? Choose between what in such a conflict? If the alternative promises freedom then the battle takes on a different significance with more serious consequences. Read Romans 1 on this to see somethings I believe God would have us understand about His grace.

Cross Reference

If God desires all men to be saved, litreally, then there are problems. Not everyone has heard a Gospel presentation.

. . .and when everyone has had heard the gospel of the kingdom, Jesus will return. What message of the gospel has been preached so far?

Those that do not hear the Gospel still stand under judgment, have been for quite some time......... can't put that on God's people for lack of missions, nor is it on YHWH for a lack of effectual grace.

Hearing the gospel isn't for getting people saved but making disciples, converts to Jesus Christ, out those who already have an established belief in God but don't know His Name.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If God desires all men to be saved, litreally, then there are problems.

You just now figured out that people choose hell?

Matthew 7

13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Not everyone has heard a Gospel presentation.

Romans 1

20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

I have no doubt God will make the correct decision regarding souls that stand before him in judgment.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1 Timothy 2

1Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

nikolai_42

Addiction? Choose? Choose between what in such a conflict? If the alternative promises freedom then the battle takes on a different significance with more serious consequences. Read Romans 1 on this to see somethings I believe God would have us understand about His grace.

To the addict, he knows he will have freedom if he turns away from it. Still, he returns to his addiction. He is in bondage to it. How much more, then, are we naturally in bondage to sin?

dreadknought

. . .and when everyone has had heard the gospel of the kingdom, Jesus will return. What message of the gospel has been preached so far?

Hearing the gospel isn't for getting people saved but making disciples, converts to Jesus Christ, out those who already have an established belief in God but don't know His Name.
:nono:

Romans 1:16

It seems many haven't been taught His name.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
MANS WILL(FREE) MAN HAS THE WILL BUT NOT THE WAY

2 Cor 8:12
12 For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have.
Col 3:5-6
5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience,
Jude 1:19
19 These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit.
Jude 1:16
16 These are grumblers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts; and they mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage.
2 Cor 6:12
12 You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted by your own passions
Luke 16:15
15 And He said to them, "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God.
1 Tim 6:4-5
4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions,
5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
Rom 8:20
20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope;
Rom 9:16-18
16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.
17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth."
18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.
Rom 9:23
23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,
Rom 11:32-33
32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.
33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!
Heb 10:26
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
Rom 9:19-21
19 You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?"
20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, "Why have you made me like this?"
21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
Rom 9:33
33 As it is written: "Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and rock of offense, and whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."
Heb 10:5-7
5 Therefore, when He came into the world, He said: "Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but a body You have prepared for Me.
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin you had no pleasure.
7 Then I said, 'Behold, I have come-- in the volume of the book it is written of Me-- to do Your will, O God.' "
Phil 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
Eph 5:17
17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Rom 7:15-21
15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.
16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.
17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.
19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.
20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.
Rom 7:23-25
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
25 I thank God-- through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
John 14:1
1 "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
John 14:5-6
5 Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?"
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
John 6:29
29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
John 5:23
23 "that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
Acts 4:12
12 "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."
I Jn 2:1-2
1 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
John 14:16
16 "And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever
John 14:26
26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
Titus 1:7
7 For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,
2 Pet 2:19
19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage.
1 Cor 7:23
23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.
Rom 6:5-6
5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,
6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.
Rom 6:16-20
16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one's slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?
17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.
18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
19 I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
Rom 6:21-23
21 What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death.
22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Acts 17:27-29
27 "so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;
28 "for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, 'For we are also His offspring.'
29 "Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man's devising.
(NKJ)

XXX We have an inner man, and an outer person. Our inner man is our spirit(mind of our inner man) and soul(body of our inner man). Our spirit makes all the decisions on who and what to believe, our soul is where our affections come from. Our outer person is where our flesh and emotions(unclean spirits) live with our guardian angel, the devil, and if we are blessed the Holy Spirit lives. Our inner man is who is going to be held responsible on judgment day. For who it submitted to. Our will is our desires to do what is right.They get covered up pushed back and blocked by our flesh. Desire is not an absolute. And will is desire. That that I will to do I do not do(Without Gods help) that that I will not to do is what I do (because of emotions, unclean spirits). So you are free to will it, but how to perform it has to come from God. So we have choices and we have free will. What we dont have is ability. We need God for ability. Now the big question is how to get God to help us. Prayer, humility, submission, changing our beliefs. One step or verse at a time.

Rom 7:11-25
11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me.
12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.
13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.
14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.
16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good.
17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.
19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.
20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.
22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
25 I thank God-- through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
(NKJ)

xxx God didnt give us our emotions, we enherited them from our parents. But they are the reason we dont have ability to do our will.

John 6:44-45
44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 "It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.
(NKJ)

John 6:65
65 And He said, "Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father."
(NKJ)

2 Cor 8:1-3
1 Moreover, brethren, we make known to you the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia:
2 that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded in the riches of their liberality.
3 For I bear witness that according to their ability, yes, and beyond their ability, they were freely willing,
(NKJ)

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
It is a tautology. A will must be free or else it is not a will.

And therefore, will does not need to be examined further as free or not, there is simply 'will'.

We have will, the ability to choose. This however does not deflate predestination.
Predestination is the part which we cannot control- our will is guided by predestination from our inability to choose our disposition and surroundings we learn from.

Essentially, free will and predestination coexist- predestination is simply bigger because it is not something controlled by us individually, but rather by God with all humanity.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Will and predestination coexist.
Only if you're comfortable accepting a contradiction.

Predestination exists and wills exist, but they may not refer to the same thing. A man cannot be both predestined to an end and choose that end; it has to be one or the other.