Thread: The evolution game is up!!!

Maximeee's Husband death2impiety's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SUTG View Post
    No thanks. I have no interest in teaching remedial science.
    AKA - I have not the ability to present any evidence.

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,330 Times in 5,841 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give him a chance D2I. He can't even respond scientifically to the question of how knee joints evolved.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2impiety
    I have yet to read one rebuttal to IC that doesn't begin with a straw-man. Maybe you could present one here.
    Sure. The parts have other functions. Or there were supporting enzymes no longer present.

Example:
    Our irreducibly complex cascade:
    Enzyme C (which performs function X) relies on enzyme B which relies on enzyme A. Without enzymes B and A, enzyme C cannot perform the function. Without enzyme C, enzyme B and A are useless.

The evolution of the cascade:
    Enzyme D servers a completely unrelated function, but also happens to support enzyme C. Enzyme B evolves to augment enzyme C. Enzyme A evolves to augment enzyme B. Enzyme C then mutates and enzyme D no longer supports enzyme C. Now enzyme C is completely reliant upon enzyme B, which is completely reliant upon enzyme A.
    “There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear.” - Daniel Dennett

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Sure. The parts have other functions. Or there were supporting enzymes no longer present.

Example:
    Enzyme A relies on enzyme B which relies on enzyme C.

Enzyme D servers a completely unrelated function, but also happens to support enzyme C. Enzyme B evolves to augment enzyme C. Enzyme A evolves to augment enzyme B. Enzyme C then mutates and enzyme D no longer supports enzyme C. Now enzyme C is completely reliant upon enzyme B, which is completely reliant upon enzyme A.
    So all these enzymes create organs?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Example:
    Our irreducibly complex cascade:
    Enzyme C (which performs function X) relies on enzyme B which relies on enzyme A. Without enzymes B and A, enzyme C cannot perform the function. Without enzyme C, enzyme B and A are useless.

The evolution of the cascade:

I'd be interested in reading about an example of this situation in reality for context's sake. Not the maybe's and if's how a system may have evolved, just a current biological system that operates how you described. Would you mind providing one?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe View Post
    Give him a chance D2I. He can't even respond scientifically to the question of how knee joints evolved.
    Knee joints eveolved the same way everything else evolved. (see Darwin)

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So all these enzymes create organs?
    No. They are made up imaginary enzymes in an irreducibly complex cascade. An irreducibly complex system is an irreducibly complex system, whether we're talking about organs or enzymes. The argument lies not in the components, but in the inter-dependent relationships between the functions of the components.
    “There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear.” - Daniel Dennett

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in reading about an example of this situation in reality for context's sake. Not the maybe's and if's how a system may have evolved, just a current biological system that operates how you described. Would you mind providing one?
    Sure, after lunch.

Science Lover
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by death2impiety View Post
    I suggest he do the bacterial flagellum. This should be easy because evolutionists already have done this one (supposely).
    Random changes are destructive to any carefully crafted piece of work, such as a computer program, a novel or the genome of a lifeform.
    Matt 23:24Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    Who is espousing that there are random changes?
    Anybody who believes that God had no part in it.

Science Lover
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glenn R. Johnson and Jim C. Spain 2003. “Evolution of catabolic pathways for synthetic compounds: bacterial pathways for degradation of 2,4-dinitrotoluene and nitrobenzene.” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 62(2-3), pp. 110-123

Glenn R. Johnson, Rakesh K. Jain, and Jim C. Spain 2003. “Origins of the 2,4-Dinitrotoluene Pathway.” Journal of Bacteriology, 184(15), pp. 4219-4232
    I might wonder whether anyone has ever claimed that these are cases of irreducibly complex systems?

But this does suggest what the evolutionary community has done to "refute" Behe: first claim that some system is "irreducibly complex", and then show that it isn't.

That tactic reminds me of the logical technique the Greeks used when they assumed that God exists, defined what his attributes must be, and then proceeded to prove from these starting assumptions that God doesn't exist (this seems to prove only that they screwed up somewhere along the line).

What the critics haven't done is to take a system which Behe claims is irreducibly complex (the bacterial flagellum) and refute that one.
    Random changes are destructive to any carefully crafted piece of work, such as a computer program, a novel or the genome of a lifeform.
    Matt 23:24Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

Over 500 post club PlastikBuddha's Avatar
    Still going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it- but now looking up.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob b View Post
    I might wonder whether anyone has ever claimed that these are cases of irreducibly complex systems?

But this does suggest what the evolutionary community has done to "refute" Behe: first claim that some system is "irreducibly complex", and then show that it isn't.

That tactic reminds me of the logical technique the Greeks used when they assumed that God exists, defined what his attributes must be, and then proceeded to prove from these starting assumptions that God doesn't exist (this seems to prove only that they screwed up somewhere along the line).

What the critics haven't done is to take a system which Behe claims is irreducibly complex (the bacterial flagellum) and refute that one.
    http://www.talkdesign.org/faqs/flagellum.html
    "Those who have crossed
    With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
    Remember us--if at all--not as lost
    Violent souls, but only
    As the hollow men
    The stuffed men." ... T.S. Eliot
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlastikBuddha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    Where? In the Matzke paper written by a non-biologist(?) and which has not been published in any scientific journal nor has it passed the peer-review process?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SUTG View Post
    Knee joints eveolved the same way everything else evolved. (see Darwin)
    Darwin didn't explain how it evolved, but just said that it did evolve by using some fantasy stories. Now we know a lot more and I have a hard time believing that knee joints can evolve.
    The voiceless, the wasted...You soaked your hearts in gasoline. Now light it up and burn.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macguy View Post
    Now we know a lot more and I have a hard time believing that knee joints can evolve.
    Argument from incredulity (a.k.a. you don't have enough FAITH that it evolved).

Evo

Thread Information