Should Town Heretic Be Banned From TOL For Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I think you give lawyers way too much credit. Lawyers aren't trained to be independent thinkers. Ask any lawyer, or look up the advice of lawyers online about whether or not to go to law school: legal practice is a technical skill.

They're little more than trained monkeys.

:darwinsm:

:thumb:

glorydaz

I think you give lawyers way too much credit. Lawyers aren't trained to be independent thinkers. Ask any lawyer, or look up the advice of lawyers online about whether or not to go to law school: legal practice is a technical skill.

They're little more than trained monkeys.

:rotfl:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
:darwinsm:

:thumb:

That sounded bad on my part. :noid:

What I meant is this:

Being a lawyer really isn't that much from being an electrician, a plumber or anything else like that. It's a "useful skill." That's why there are so many of them and why they are paid well.

Lawyers aren't philosophers. They aren't even politicians. They get trained and paid to know how to work through the legal system.

That's basically it.

They're not supposed to be original, "persuasive" or anything else. They're simply supposed to know how the law works in such and such a case.

In fact, when a lawyer DOES start trying to speak persuasively, chances are, it's because he doesn't have a real legal case.

Consider the prosecution in the George Zimmerman trial.

To my mind, this is compelling evidence to me that TH isn't lying when he claims to be a lawyer. Simply read the majority of my conversations with him. :idunno:

ok doser

ironically, every time town raises this he tucks tail like the weasely coward that he is

and that supports his contention to being a weasely cowardly lawyer :)

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
ironically, every time town raises this he tucks tail like the weasely coward that he is

and that supports his contention to being a weasely cowardly lawyer :)

I have no clue whether he is weasely or cowardly. I don't know the guy on a personal basis.

Neither do you.

Either way, we should avoid making personal attacks on his character.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
One final set of comments in TH's defense:

1. Some of his comments are positively charming/witty.

2. He is able to carry on a sustained reasonable argument (whether he does so well or poorly, that's more than most people).

3. His general knowledge and vocabulary are certainly above par.

He bears all of the hallmarks of an educated man. He did, of course, receive a sophists' education, but he's educated nonetheless.

ok doser

One final set of comments in TH's defense:

1. Some of his comments are positively charming/witty.

i would describe them as tiresome, labored and repetitive

2. He is able to carry on a sustained reasonable argument (whether he does so well or poorly, that's more than most people).

no, he's not

he's able to maneuver evasively in order to avoid coming to the truth in a discussion

remember when zippy was trying to get him to state clearly his position on gay marriage?

it was liking watching someone (zippy) try to nail jello to the wall

with a background as a scientist, interested in determining truth, i don't find that ability admirable

3. His general knowledge and vocabulary are certainly above par.

He bears all of the hallmarks of an educated man. He did, of course, receive a sophists' education, but he's educated nonetheless.

never argued otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.