The UN demands the US pay Reparations

rexlunae

he's gonna take tax dollars from all current US citizens - black, white and brown - and distribute it based on the amount of black or brown in your skin

because....

reasons

I should know better than to ask a :troll:, but do you honestly doubt that there are good reasons? And if so...how do you?

rexlunae

I already raised this point earlier. Somehow, RexLunae didn't seem to be phased by it.

Did you know that if you work for the federal government, you still pay taxes? That means, part of your salary is paid by you yourself. But, crucially, not all of it.

Crazy, right?

If the United States, as a whole corporate entity, is responsible for slavery, that the United States, as a whole corporate entity pays. And the United States raises its revenue from taxing the whole population, without regard to race.

Also, some of the reparations should probably come from the states, especially for segregation. Many of them made and enforced laws which were definitively illegal under federal law, or their officials failed to do their duty in terms of protecting their black citizens, and while those laws have been struck down or repealed in many cases, no damages have ever been awarded for a lot of them.

rexlunae

I deny the truth of the antecedent/protasis, and you've certainly not proven it.

As I pointed out several times already, what's called for right now is a study to determine what reparations are due and how they would work. It's hard to say without actually doing that work.

But some people would rather not know.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
As I pointed out several times already, what's called for right now is a study to determine what reparations are due

any reparations due would be due to those long dead

and how they would work.

i spose you could write checks from the government and stick them in the unearthed coffins and then rebury them

heck - you could make each check out for a bazillion dollars!

non-transferrable, of course :)

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
As I pointed out several times already, what's called for right now is a study to determine what reparations are due and how they would work. It's hard to say without actually doing that work.

But some people would rather not know.

And I've pointed out several times that what you are suggesting begs the question.

It's as though I denied that x has ever beaten his wife, and you answered: "What's called for right now is a study to determine what recourse should be taken for x beating his wife and how they should work."

Unless and until you can prove that x beat his wife, those other concerns are irrelevant.

rexlunae

And I've pointed out several times that what you are suggesting begs the question.

It doesn't.

1. Slavery occurred.
2. Segregation occurred.
3. Slavery is illegal.
4. Segregation is illegal.
5. Slavery harmed people.
6. Segregation harmed people.
7. When an illegal action causes harm to people, those people may expect to be compensated by the perpetrators.
8. The United States was a perpetrator, as were many of the states individually, and many individuals.

What needs study is which individuals and entities, and to what extent, and how effectively that can be redeemed. Nothing circular about it.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... no one says that only black lives matter....

looks to me like they're only saying "black lives" :idunno:
blacklivesmatter1.jpg

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
It doesn't.

1. Slavery occurred.
2. Segregation occurred.
3. Slavery is illegal.
7. When an illegal action causes harm to people, those people may expect to be compensated by the perpetrators.
8. The United States was a perpetrator, as were many of the states individually, and many individuals.

From none of these premises does the conclusion, "And therefore the current government and citizenry of the United States does or should bear legal responsibility and are liable for past or present damages, and, furthermore, currently living black people are owed those damages," follow.

If you disagree, then please, present me with a syllogism. Provide the major and minor premises. ;)

HisServant

It doesn't.

1. Slavery occurred.
2. Segregation occurred.
3. Slavery is illegal.

What needs study is which individuals and entities, and to what extent, and how effectively that can be redeemed. Nothing circular about it.

England was the biggest perpetrator... and for the longest period of time... and got the richest from it. Most slave owners made very little money in comparison... even after the Revolution, England still supplied the slaves and profited greatly through the slave triangle. Chattel slavery became a thing under the crown, which supported he 'owning' of the first individual. England made sure it was so entrenched in the economy that it couldn't be ended without great financial costs.

History... you need to learn it.

As far as reparations, the Democratic Party should pony up and pay for all the damage it did by supporting segregation and the Klan in the aftermath of the war. The Republicans were all about reconstruction and getting the African Americans involved in government and politics and the Democratic Party thwarted and opposed them at every chance they could get. I don't care if the party has changed over the last 50 years, its roots are in racism and segregation and should be held accountable for it... just saying its changed and isn't the same does not absolve them from the financial responsibility for their past crimes.

rexlunae

"And therefore the current government and citizenry of the United States does or should bear legal responsibility and are liable for past or present damages, and, furthermore, currently living black people are owed those damages," follow.

Well, if we send the bill to the past government of the United States, the present government would end up paying it, with interest. And if we award the damages to the actual victims of the crimes, their descendents would inherit it.