Is there a true church?

Seekingtruth21

What I believe is that everyone who:
1. Believes Jesus is divine wrapped in human flesh.
2. Trusts in his perfect atoning sacrifice on the cross and resurrection (and)
3. Confesses it or has ever confessed it...
is a member of the Body of Christ.

This is a mystical union of people worldwide who love Jesus and desire to do his will on earth as it is in heaven. This is the one true Church. The one true church cannot be a denomination because they are all biased in one way or another and there are wolves in every church. Only those who truly love Jesus can be assured of their salvation.

Last edited:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Is there a true church?

Yes. Any church with 'Reformed' in the name. Or the Presbyterians. Those are the churches with the original concept of Christianity.

Catholic's gonna hate :chuckle:

I'm just pea shooting- arguing with Catholics is like arguing with a wall.

glassjester

Romanists have problems reading responses to their questions. Sigh.

Please review my responses once more...asked and answered.

Then give this a read:
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4571391#post4571391

AMR

If you've already answered the question quoted below, I'm afraid I do not see your response to it in the post you linked to.

Care to answer it, here in this thread?

Does the denomination that you belong to, teach any false doctrine?

Cruciform

What I believe is that everyone who:
1. Believes Jesus is divine...
In what specific sense must they affirm that "Jesus is 'divine'"?

2. Trusts in his perfect atoning sacrifice on the cross and resurrection...
In which of the various views of the Atonement proposed by Protestants must they trust, in particular?

This is a mystical union of people worldwide who love Jesus and desire to do his will on earth as it is in heaven. This is the one true Church.
The biblical teaching about Christ's one historic Church can be found HERE.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Buzzword

I'll just re-post what I always post when this question comes up.

Adam Hamilton said:
I love my Roman Catholic friends, and my faith is richer for listening to them share their experience of the Eucharistic mystery and the traditions of their church. I have deep respect for my Orthodox neighbors and feel a sense of mystery and awe when I worship amid the aroma of incense in their church. I love my Southern Baptist colleagues, whose love of the Scriptures and preaching of conversion have left their mark on me. And my Pentecostal friends have reminded me that the Holy Spirit continues to work in unexpected ways. While I’m drawn to the United Methodist Church’s attempt to hold together the evangelical and social gospels, and to stand in the center of the theological spectrum as a bridge between the left and the right, I don’t believe all Christians should be United Methodists. In fact, I think Christianity would be the poorer if they were.

The truth is that all of these branches in this tree called Christianity are a bit defective. But each adds to the beauty of the whole. What a tragedy if we were to cut off all but one of the limbs. But what riches are to be found if we can humbly listen and learn from one another, appreciating our differences, while together seeking to follow Christ.

How often the Christian church’s ability to accomplish good is diminished by our infighting. What if all 224 million Christians in America were actually working together to shape a nation that looks like Jesus’ vision of the kingdom of God, where poverty does not exist, where people practice justice, where love of neighbor is universally practiced? But this will never happen. We are too busy ‘straining gnats.’

Our quest for truth, certainty, purity of doctrine, and our tendency to label others who don’t agree with us, to separate from them and to demonize them, lead us to black-and-white thinking. I am right and you are wrong. I am faithful and you are unfaithful. I am whole and you are wounded or defective. We have ‘all the gospel’ and you do not.

I am not suggesting that we could ever return to a time when all Christians are ‘of one accord’ as was seen on the day of Pentecost in the early church. Even then unity didn’t last for long. But the hope for the future of Christianity will be found, in part, in our willingness to accept that no one has all of the truth. We must be able to see the value in another’s position, practice, and doctrine. And while we may hold fast to our convictions, we must be willing to accept that someone else could be correct, and we could be in error, or we both might be partially correct. Alternatively, we might simply be willing to say, ‘This issue is not worth dividing over.’”

From Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White

If we cannot address even fellow Christians with grace and humility, the rest of the world has no reason to pay us any attention.

Cruciform

Yes. Any church with 'Reformed' in the name. Or the Presbyterians. Those are the churches with the original concept of Christianity.
Chapter-and-verse, please. Go ahead and quote the biblical text which states that your chosen recently-invented, man-made Protestant sect is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself, and against which he declared that the gates of Hades would never prevail (Mt. 16:18-19; cf. 1 Tim. 3:15).

...arguing with Catholics is like arguing with a wall.
That goes both ways, friend. For example, please name the last Presbyterian on TOL who submitted himself to the authoritative teachings of the Catholic Church. No? That's what I thought.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you've already answered the question quoted below, I'm afraid I do not see your response to it in the post you linked to.

Care to answer it, here in this thread?

Romanists do not read anything but the page in front of them, ignoring any of the first ten or so posts from others to their questions. They prefer that you just answer the same question as soon as it pops into their noggins once more.

Sigh.

AMR

glassjester

Romanists do not read anything but the page in front of them, ignoring any of the first ten or so posts from others to their questions. They prefer that you just answer the same question as soon as it pops into their noggins once more.

Sigh.

AMR

Still no answer.

Am I required to pore through your illustrious catalog of TOL posts before I engage in discussion with you?

Why not address one another within the thread, as opposed to sending me on a wild goose chase through old threads I had nothing to do with? If not for my sake, then at least as a courtesy to other readers. ;)

You could have answered my question by now, and in less words than it took you to repeatedly chastise me for not having "read up" on you, before daring to address you in conversation.

Does your denomination teach any false doctrine?

popsthebuilder

I think that no divided denomination that is seperated from other ones that are equally faithful in GOD can be considered 100% true.

We are to help one another in growth towards God's will.

As the finger can do little without the hand and the hand little without the body, and the body little without the spirit and mind; it is evident that for the church to be wholly true unto GOD, it must first be whole.

All through scripture unity and help are spoken of, but people act like they can't read for their own selfish sakes, and some pride in this world or their stance.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Still no answer.

Am I required to pore through your illustrious catalog of TOL posts before I engage in discussion with you?
My post and answer was made in this very thread. Must I duplicate a very recent post made elsewhere? Are you really just intellectually lazy and in want of others to do the heavy lifting for you?

Romanists have selective amnesia. They conveniently forget previously given answers and just redouble their efforts hoping no one will notice. Sigh.

AMR

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Roman Catholicism didn't emerge until the 4th century. Protestantism was a revival of the truth. But the truth is of old.

OCTOBER23

Poor Cruciform ,

He does not Realize that The Vatican is going to be destroyed by the moslems

within 10 years. Don't say that I did not warn you Cruxy Baby.

Time to Retire for the night and I will be fully Retired

at the End of 2017 when the 7 year Piece Treaty will be Confirmed

and do good deeds until the Rapture at Pentecost in 2021 AD.

Buzzword

Okay seriously, since apparently no one read my post in the midst of this meaningless scrum:
If we who claim to follow Christ devoted a TENTH of the time and energy to following His commandments to love God and love our neighbor (including our Catholic neighbor and our Protestant neighbor and our nonChristian neighbor) that we devote to sniping each other and arguing over who "really" has it right, the world would be so much more full of love that we'd have far fewer things to complain about.

“Though we cannot think alike, may we not love alike? May we not be of one heart, though we are not of one opinion? Without all doubt, we may. Herein all the children of God may unite, notwithstanding these smaller differences.”
-John Welsey

Or if you prefer a Bible passage, which oddly enough seem to be lacking in this thread compared to TOL's usual:
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."
-1 Corinthians 13:1-3

I guess Paul should have added something like, "If I have doctrine which is perfectly sound and inspired by the Holy Spirit, but have not love, I have nothing."

CherubRam

Does any Christian church have 100% true doctrine? Which denomination teaches the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

The true congregation is the 7 lamps, but there will only be 6, because one lamp is removed. And it will be said that the seventh one is in heaven. This is yet soon to come. This will come by means of the little book and the Two Witnesses.

Zechariah 3:8
" 'Listen, O high priest [of] Joshua [Yahshua] and your associates seated before you, who are men symbolic of things to come:

Mark 3:17
…James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means Sons of Thunder

Revelation 1:19. "Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and what will take place later. 20 The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and of the seven golden lampsticks is this: The seven stars are the messengers of the seven congregations, and the seven lampsticks are the seven congregations.

Revelation 4:5
From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. Before the throne, seven lampsticks were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God.

Revelation 10:3
and he gave a loud shout like the roar of a lion. When he shouted, the voices of the seven thunders spoke.

Revelation 10:4
And when the seven thunders spoke, I was about to write; but I heard a voice from heaven say, "Seal up what the seven thunders have said and do not write it down."

Revelation 19:6
Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns.