Just One Gospel?

elected4ever

Jerry Shugart said:
Apollos,

You said:

Before the Lord Jesus appeared on the scene John the Baptist was preaching that ”The kingdom of heaven is at hand”(Mt.3:2).

The Jews would have understood that if the kingdom was at hand,then the King also must be at hand.

The Baptist said:

"And I knew Him not,but that He should be made manifest to Israel,therefore am I come baptizing with water"(Jn.1:31).

The Baptist also proclaimed that the Lord Jesus is the “Son of God”:

”And I saw,and bore witness that this is the Son of God”(Jn.1:34).

The Jews would also knew that the words “Son of God” meant that the Lord Jesus was God,as witnessed by the words of the Jews themselves:

” Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God(Jn.5:18).

After the Baptist was put in prision,the Lord Jesus took up the same message,preaching that the Kingdom of God is at hand.He also said that He was that Messiah:

"The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am He"(Jn.4:25,26).

He also told the Jews that the Lord God had sent Him into the world,and that they should believe Him:

”This is the work of God,that ye believe on Him Whom He hath sent”(Jn.6:29).He said that those who “believeth on Him” would receive eternal life:

” And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day”(Jn.6:40).

The Lord Jesus told the Jews that He was before Abraham:

”Before Abraham was,I am”(Jn.8:58).

By His words the Jews would have known that He was proclaiming Himself to be the Messiah,the Son of the Living God.Combine that with the fact that He was able to perform miracles so the Jews had no excuse whatsoever for their unbelief.

Every thing about the ministry of John the Baptist and of the Lord Jesus pointed to one thing,and that is the fact that it is the Lord Jesus Who is the promised Messiah,the Son of the Living God.

And those who believed this fact were “born of God” at the moment that they believed this fact (Jn.1:12,13—1Jn.5:1-5).They also received eternal life at the moment that they believed (Jn.5:24).

However,after the leaders of Israel plotted His death,He told His disciples not to make Him known (Mt.12:14-16).He then began to speak in parables.He knew that the Jews would be given a second chance to believe after His crucifixion and resurrection,and that is exactly what happened on the day of Pentecost.

In His grace,--Jerry
”Dispensationalism Made Easy”
http://midacts.net/studies/shugart-dispensationalism_made_easy.html
It is a very good post but there is nothing there that constitutes another gospel

drbrumley

elected4ever said:
Serves you right for reading a stupid book and letting it define your position for you. I hope you get a headache :dunce:

:yawn: And what book would this be?

Jerry Shugart

elected4ever said:
It is a very good post but there is nothing there that constitutes another gospel
elected4ever,

Nobody said that more than one gospel was being preached at the time the Lord Jesus walked the earth.

The gospel that was preached to the Jews at that time and throughout the Acts period concerned the fact that it is the Lord Jesus who is the promised Messiah of Israel.Just read all of the accounts of what was being preached to the Jews during the Acts period and it is clear that the gospel preached to them was in regard to the fact that it is the Lord Jesus Who is the promised Messiah:

"And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ"(Acts17:2,30).

That is exactly what Peter preached to the Jews on the day of Pentecost:

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ"(Acts2:36).

That is the same message that Apollos preached to the Jews:

"For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus is Christ"(Acts18:28).

And that is the same gospel that Paul preached to the Jews immediately after he was converted:

"And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God...proving that this is the very Christ"(Acts9:20,22).

That is the gospel that went to the Jews,and it is plain that the heart and soul of that gospel was in regard to the "identity" of the Lord Jesus.

However,in the present dispensation we are to preach another gospel,and the heart and soul of the gospel we are to preach concerns the "purpose" of the death of the Lord Jesus upon the Cross.This gospel is referred to by Paul as the "word of reconciliation".The Christian has been given the "ministry of reconciliation" to preach the "word of reconciliation"(2Cor.5:18,19).

This gospel,unlike the gospel that was preach to the Jews,cannot be preached apart from the "purpose" of His death:

"And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death"(Col.1:20-22).

"For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son..."(Ro.5:10).

There is a difference between preaching that "Jesus is the Christ" and preaching that "while we were enemies we were reconciled by the death" of the Lord Jesus Christ.

They are both "good news",but they are not the same "good news".

In His grace,--Jerry

Last edited:

elected4ever

Jerry Shugart said:
elected4ever,

Nobody said that more than one gospel was being preached at the time the Lord Jesus walked the earth.

The gospel that was preached to the Jews at that time and throughout the Acts period concerned the fact that it is the Lord Jesus who is the promised Messiah of Israel.Just read all of the accounts of what was being preached to the Jews during the Acts period and it is clear that the gospel preached to them was in regard to the fact that it is the Lord Jesus Who is the promised Messiah:

"And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ"(Acts17:2,30).

That is exactly what Peter preached to the Jews on the day of Pentecost:

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ"(Acts2:36).

That is the same message that Apollos preached to the Jews:

"For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus is Christ"(Acts18:28).

And that is the same gospel that Paul preached to the Jews immediately after he was converted:

"And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God...proving that this is the very Christ"(Acts9:20,22).

That is the gospel that went to the Jews,and it is plain that the heart and soul of that gospel was in regard to the "identity" of the Lord Jesus.

However,in the present dispensation we are to preach another gospel,and the heart and soul of the gospel we are to preach concerns the "purpose" of the death of the Lord Jesus upon the Cross.This gospel is referred to by Paul as the "word of reconciliation".The Christian has been given the "ministry of reconciliation" to preach the "word of reconciliation"(2Cor.5:18,19).

This gospel,unlike the gospel that was preach to the Jews,cannot be preached apart from the "purpose" of His death:

"And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death"(Col.1:20-22).

"For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son..."(Ro.5:10).

There is a difference between preaching that "Jesus is the Christ" and preaching that "while we were enemies we were reconciled by the death" of the Lord Jesus Christ.

They are both "good news",but they are not the same "good news".

In His grace,--Jerry
You mean that Israel was not the enemy of God just like we are? Man is the enemy of God. Israel included. Same message, same gospel.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
elected4ever said:
No, that book you have always got your nose stuck in called "Despensationism Made Easy". Or something like that. You know the one you cut and paste out off. :dizzy:

:darwinsm:

I don't cut and past out of any book hardly at all except for "The Complete Green Letters" by Miles J Standford, which has nothing to do with Calvinism or Open Theism.

Jerry Shugart quotes from that book, but I think he wrote it so that doesn't really count does it?

In all fairness, I do quote from Bob Hill quite a bit but not from any book he has written.

Jerry Shugart

elected4ever said:
You mean that Israel was not the enemy of God just like we are? Man is the enemy of God. Israel included. Same message, same gospel.
elected4ever,

All men,whether they be Israelites or Gentiles,are enemies of God until they are born of God.But that was not the gospel that was preached to the Jews dutring the Acts period.As I have demonstrated,the message that was being preached to the Jews during the Acts period was the good news that the Lord Jesus is their promised Messiah.

There are numerous of examples of what was being preached to Jews in the Acts narrative,and those verses will be searched in vain for one single instance where the "purpose" of the death of the Lord Jesus was preached to the Jews.Instead,the gospel that was preached to them was the fact that their promised Messiah was among them in the Person of the Lord Jesus.

The Jews who believed this gospel were "born of God" and were blessed with eternal life"

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him...For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?(1Jn.5:1,4,5).

The Jew who believed the gospel that was preached to the Jews--that Jesus is the Christ,the Son of God--recived the "blessing" of being born of God (Jn.1:12,13).The Lord Jesus asked Peter:

"But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven"(Mt.16:15-17).

So you can go on and on and deny that there was but one gospel being preached during the Acts period,but the Scriptures tell the truth that the central fact of the gospel that was preached to the Jews is that Jesus is the Christ,the Son of the Living God.The heart and soul of the gospell that was preached to the churches which Paul founded is the truth concerning the "purpose" of His death on the Cross:

"For the preaching of the Cross is to them that perish foolishness,but unto us who are saved it is the power of God"(1Cor.1:18).

Two different gospels--"the gospel of the uncircumcision" and "the gospel of the circumcision"(Gal.1:7).

In His grace,--Jerry

elected4ever

Jerry Shugart said:
elected4ever,

All men,whether they be Israelites or Gentiles,are enemies of God until they are born of God.But that was not the gospel that was preached to the Jews dutring the Acts period.As I have demonstrated,the message that was being preached to the Jews during the Acts period was the good news that the Lord Jesus is their promised Messiah.

There are numerous of examples of what was being preached to Jews in the Acts narrative,and those verses will be searched in vain for one single instance where the "purpose" of the death of the Lord Jesus was preached to the Jews.Instead,the gospel that was preached to them was the fact that their promised Messiah was among them in the Person of the Lord Jesus.

The Jews who believed this gospel were "born of God" and were blessed with eternal life"

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him...For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?(1Jn.5:1,4,5).

The Jew who believed the gospel that was preached to the Jews--that Jesus is the Christ,the Son of God--recived the "blessing" of being born of God (Jn.1:12,13).The Lord Jesus asked Peter:

"But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven"(Mt.16:15-17).

So you can go on and on and deny that there was but one gospel being preached during the Acts period,but the Scriptures tell the truth that the central fact of the gospel that was preached to the Jews is that Jesus is the Christ,the Son of the Living God.The heart and soul of the Gospel that was preached to the churches which Paul founded is the truth concerning the "purpose" of His death on the Cross:

"For the preaching of the Cross is to them that perish foolishness,but unto us who are saved it is the power of God"(1Cor.1:18).

Two different gospels--"the gospel of the uncircumcision" and "the gospel of the circumcision"(Gal.1:7).

In His grace,--Jerry
Are you serious? Do you actually mean to say that Jesus is not the Messiah to us? That Jesus Christ is not the only begotten Son of god to us? Do you mean that faith in Christ Jesus was not preached to the Jews as well as to us? Use your head please. It is the same gospel. Stop kidding your self. :doh:

Jerry Shugart

elected4ever said:
Are you serious?... Use your head please. It is the same gospel.
elected4ever,

It is you who parts company with your common sense by asserting that there was only one gospel.Let us examine your ideas and see if the Scriptures are in agreement.

Here is the "gospel" that was preached to the Jews during that Acts period:

"This Jesus...is Christ."

"God hath made the same Jesus...both Lord and Christ"

"Jesus is Christ."

"That this is the very Christ."

The gospel that was preached to the Jews was in regard to the fact that Jesus is the Christ.

Here is the gospel that was preached to the churches which Paul founded:

Here the gospel concerns the "purpose" of the death of the Lord Jesus upon the Cross.Anyone with the least bit of Spiritual discernment can recognize that the "good news" that was preached to the Jews during the Acts period was not the same "good news" that was preached in the churches that Paul founded.

But for some reason you will not believe it.It seems as if you put more faith in the doctrines invented by men than you do in what the Scriptures actually say.When Paul went to preach the gospel he "reasoned" out of the Scriptures:

"And Paul,as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures..."

You must throw your reason to the wind in order to continue to insist that there was only one gospel.You would rather cling to the "traditions" invented by men instead of believing what the Scriptures clearly teach.

And then you have the temerity to tell me to please use my head.We can see that the only use that you have for your head is as a place to put your hat.

"...because they seeing,see not,and hearing,they hear not,neither do they understand"(Mt.13:13).

In His grace,--Jerry

elected4ever

Jerry Shugart said:
elected4ever,

It is you who parts company with your common sense by asserting that there was only one gospel.Let us examine your ideas and see if the Scriptures are in agreement.

Here is the "gospel" that was preached to the Jews during that Acts period:

"This Jesus...is Christ."

"God hath made the same Jesus...both Lord and Christ"It is the same gospel. A mystery revealed is not a new gospel. I would agree however that after Pentecost the message was The death burial and resurrection of Jesus. Making the old covenant of sacrifices a desolation. But this message was preached to the Jews as well as the gentiles. Same gospel to both.

"Jesus is Christ."

"That this is the very Christ."

The gospel that was preached to the Jews was in regard to the fact that Jesus is the Christ.

Here is the gospel that was preached to the churches which Paul founded:

Here the gospel concerns the "purpose" of the death of the Lord Jesus upon the Cross.Anyone with the least bit of Spiritual discernment can recognize that the "good news" that was preached to the Jews during the Acts period was not the same "good news" that was preached in the churches that Paul founded.

But for some reason you will not believe it.It seems as if you put more faith in the doctrines invented by men than you do in what the Scriptures actually say.When Paul went to preach the gospel he "reasoned" out of the Scriptures:

"And Paul,as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures..."

You must throw your reason to the wind in order to continue to insist that there was only one gospel.You would rather cling to the "traditions" invented by men instead of believing what the Scriptures clearly teach.

And then you have the temerity to tell me to please use my head.We can see that the only use that you have for your head is as a place to put your hat.

"...because they seeing,see not,and hearing,they hear not,neither do they understand"(Mt.13:13).

In His grace,--Jerry
Nonsense. Your understanding is flawed.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
elected4ever said:
Nonsense. Your understanding is flawed.
Saying it doesn't make it so.

Tell us specifically how is his understanding flawed? I'm dying to know whether you have a real response in you at all.

elected4ever

Clete said:
Saying it doesn't make it so.

Tell us specifically how is his understanding flawed? I'm dying to know whether you have a real response in you at all.
What? you are as dumb as I though. You can't read. I have told you and you just will not listen.

Jerry Shugart

I have already demonstrated that the Jews were reciving a different gospel than the one that was preached to the Gentiles.Next,we can see that Paul received two different gospels from the Lord,one which he preached to the Jews and another that he preached to the Gentiles.Here is what Paul says about the events which occured after he recived the gospel that he preached to the Gentiles:

"But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ...that I might preach him among the Gentiles; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus"(Gal.1:11,12,16,17).

Paul says in words that cannot be misunderstood that when he reeived the gospel that he preached unto the Gentiles that he did not confer with any other men,and he went immediately into Arabia.

That is not what happened after Paul received the gospel which he preached to the Jews:

"And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

"And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized. And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus. And immediately he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God"
(Acts9:17-20).

Here we can clearly see that upon receiving the "gospel of the circumcision" that he was with other disciples in Damascus and he immediately preached Christ to the Jews.

When Paul recived the "gospel of the uncircumcision" he said that he went "immediately" into Arabia,and he did not confer with any other men.

This demonstrates conclusively that Paul recived two different gospels from the Lord--"the gospel of the circumcision" and "the gospel of the uncircumcision"(Gal.2:7).

In His grace,--Jerry

Last edited:

ApologeticJedi

Jerry Shugart said:
I have already demonstrated that the Jews were reciving a different gospel than the one that was preached to the Gentiles.Next,we can see that Paul received two different gospels from the Lord,one which he preached to the Jews and another that he preached to the Gentiles.Here is what Paul says about the events which occured after he recived the gospel that he preached to the Gentiles:

"But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ...that I might preach him among the Gentiles; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus"(Gal.1:11,12,16,17).

Paul says in words that cannot be misunderstood that when he reeived the gospel that he preached unto the Gentiles that he did not confer with any other men,and he went immediately into Arabia.

That is not what happened after Paul received the gospel which he preached to the Jews:

"And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

"And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized. And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus. And immediately he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God"
(Acts9:17-20).

Here we can clearly see that upon receiving the "gospel of the circumcision" that he was with other disciples in Damascus and he immediately preached Christ to the Jews.

When Paul recived the "gospel of the uncircumcision" he said that he went "immediately" into Arabia,and he did not confer with any other men.

This demonstrates conclusively that Paul recived two different gospels from the Lord--"the gospel of the circumcision" and "the gospel of the uncircumcision"(Gal.2:7).

In His grace,--Jerry

:thumb: