Freak challenges "The Plot" over miracles

Lucky

Hall of Fame
:sheep: :sheep: and more :sheep:

:chuckle:

If Enyart ever defends himself successfully with this matter, I will be very impressed. But I don't want to seem like I'm backing up Freak too much, he can be a real nutcase sometimes. :freak:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 1Way

Lucky - If miracles have ceased like the bible and reality teaches...
Your presupperpartitions are wrong. :p

The debate on miracles is something I have actually gone through many times. But with all the arguments I've read, I have not seen a good enough argument based on the Bible to prove miracles, etc. are over.

Do you have any guesses why it is that it would be a good and godly thing to not do miracles in this dispensation?
Nope. I'm sure you do.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by drbrumley

Do you even understand dispensations Lucky? Serious question, not mocking you.
Fair question.

Yes I do, to a certain extent. Don't ask me where I "rightly divide" in the NT, though. I haven't studied that in great detail yet, so I'm not sure where I stand and I'm not even sure where OV-ers stand. Do enlighten...

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Lucky - and all - This is what I posted at the bottom of my second post, I thought it was the bottom of my first post, but somehow now it's the bottom of my second one.

Consider
As far as I know, no one has listed the miracles and chronicled the biblical results on the people as thoroughly as Enyart did. Do you maintain that he missed some miracles, or? Also, you might start by addressing Bob's definition of what a biblical miracle really is. Do you agree with his use of the term?
And if possible, lets not get too subjective, lets let God's word rule over our faith. For those who promote miracles are for today, they will tend to list example after example as though their subjective (and likely biased) witness should determine the truth of the matter.

Also, I would like to make a point about the nature of unstable man, and I will use myself as a primary example. Since my example is not in the bible and I will only apply it for what it is worth, please consider the following. You can not trust man any where near like you can trust God and His word.

For example, and I realize that this is an extreme case, but, when I was young, I was playing in the backyard of one of my neighbors. There was three of us and a younger girl, but she was not part of our game. We were playing jarts, and it was just me and my neighbor boy who was just one year older than me, and I'd guess that we were about 8 or so at the time, and the third guy was a friend of the neighbor boy's older brother, he may have been 4-5 years older or so. Anyway, at one point, my neighbor bent over to pick up my jarts while my teammate got the crazy idea of trying to throw one of his jarts into his circle! I was horrified, but just prior to him doing it, he clued me in about what he was going to do. I guess I didn't catch it right away and something went wrong in my mind, but more of that latter. Well this guy threw the jart way up high and it landed right in the knee of my neighbor. And by that time I was really shocked. It could have been waaaaay worse and it did not give him any serous problems, but,,, the story continues after I went home. I remember doing the dishes and feeling strange and bothered about what had happened to my neighbor, and finally I told my mother about it, and she became very angry with me. I told her that I was the one who threw the jart. After my neighbor got home from the hospital my mother took me over there and made me apologize for what I had done. It was one of the weirdest things that I've ever experienced, and I was feeling really guilty about it all too. They just looked at me strangely and said that I didn't do it, it was the other boy who was gone by then. At first I didn't believe them, and then they finally convinced me about what had actually happened.

Somehow I had transferred my horror and shock and dismay, through my neighbors complete ignorance of what was about to happen, and blamed my self for not doing anything about it. I can still see him there, bending over picking up the darts right before he threw it. He was bent over picking up my jarts when the other guy threw his, only when I think about it, I mostly don't know who's jarts were who's, and to make matters worse, he (the older boy) had been making me laugh almost the entire time, so when he clued me in to his stupid idea, I was caught unawares and was actually laughing about it while he did it!!!! That is a twisted thought. Such a traumatic experience threw me for a loop as I am a really emotive or sensitive person when it comes to other people's feelings, and was perhaps as impressionable as I would ever be, and it really bothered me about what had just happened. For the most part, I was unable to reconcile my thoughts and my feelings and my actions with what actually happened, and to make matters worse, right after it happened, I was alone to walk to my house in this state of shock and emotional upheaval and disbelief. I really don't know exactly how I got things so mixed up, but psychologists tell us that under certain high stress situations, our fight or flight survival mechanisms can induce some strange effects on our psyche if we have no means of fight or flight. Since considering this phenomenon I give the likelihood of the validity of abuse victims suppressing their abuse memories, or turning them into something that it was not in order to protect themselves at the time of the abuse.

The point should be clear, we are prone to error, even able to make completely wrong assessments. I've heard people say for example that they were entertained by an angle, perhaps you have heard this story too. One minute they were they, and then right after I turned and looked back, they were gone, I mean gone, no where in sight and there was no where for them to have hid in that short of a period of time. Thus it must have been an angel. It's called being human, we make mistakes, honest mistakes. So we need to examine what is and is not a miracle, and by what evidence we can trust to validate a miracle if we are going to get anywhere.

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Lucky - The OV has no voice on the matter. You must come to understand that the OV is not a theology per say, it dramatically affects one's theology, no doubt, but it says nothing about many theological issues like this one for example.

Also, you seem like a fairly intelligent and reasonable person. But I must say that you display a large, albeit a common ignorance over things that you do not agree with. When if you give it just a half a thought, you can never really disagree with something that you don't really understand very well. :think: You know about dispensations but you don't know about any practical use for them, which restated means that you don't know anything practical or substantial about dispensations. Same with the OV. You wonder what the OV has to say about miracles for today, yet it can have nothing to say about it since that issue is outside of it's sphere, although I imagine that you may have simply wondered what we think about the issue, I would not argue either way. People are self promoters. We live in a society where we have to do that on almost a constant basis, otherwise, if we don't, we would likely get run over by masses which are more than willing to step all over you to give them some momentary advantage if you give them just half a chance. However, in God's eyes and in His kingdom, humility and a soul willing to stand corrected is never trampled underfoot, but rather is honored and exalted in a most wonderful way. Promote your ignorance through humility and you may be astounded at the spiritual real world results, of course, given the right environment exists.

Thank you for sharing about your lack of knowledge in these areas that for some strange reason, you have found yourself in "disagreement".

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Classic Pentecostals (my roots) are usually Arminians. Open Theism could be seen as a subtype of Arminianism. Many Pentecostals lean to Open Theism, and affirm that miracles happen today. Other Open Theists are from traditions that dispensationalize them away.

I agree with Freak on miracles. I agree with Enyart of Open Theism. Regardless of our beliefs, they should be defensible from Scripture, and not just anecdotal experience (though there are hundreds of millions of charismatic/Pentecostals who know the person and work of the Holy Spirit today).

Freak would have to read "The Plot" since it attempts to build a case line by line. If there are wrong assumptions and proof texts out of context, some conclusions will be off (though the journey seems to be compelling or consistent).

I found myself agreeing with some, but not all of the 2 columns Enyart came up with (disagree with = no miracles, no baptism, and unconditional eternal security for the modern believer). I am still reading the book.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Freak

Enyart believes miracles fosters unbelief. That's what he believes. He's wrong and I'm willing to defend my position. Will he? :chuckle:

Homework for Freak: (I am sure everybody hates it when Freak posts that)

Read "The Plot"!

Freak

Originally posted by Shimei

Homework for Freak:
Read "The Plot"!
Homework for Shimei:

Read the Bible. Imagine that. :chuckle:

I'll get to 2Way's posts later tonight...

Freak

2Way, instead of babbling (and the same goes for drnonsense) deal with my earlier posts:

We are told in Holy Scripture that spiritual gifts are given to serve the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:7; 14:26), to equip people to share the gospel (Matthew 10:19,20; Luke 4:18; 1 Corinthians 2:13), and to show God's compassion and concern for His people (examples: Matthew 14:13-14; 20:29-34; Mark 1:40-42). Surely these needs still exist. 1Way, you do believe these needs still exist--healing, deliverance, etc????

The Holy Scriptures don't seem to make any distinction between what we call the "supernatural" gifts and the other "less" supernatural gifts (Note that they appear mixed together in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:28). You are seperating some gifts (i.e. gifts of miracles) from the others when the Biblical warrant isn't there. If we are going to deny the operation of "supernatural" gifts in this day, then it seems logical to deny all the gifts of the Spirit mentioned in these passages (not just some).

The "supernatural" gifts were not just the possession of the apostles in the Bible. Other non-apostles also were given supernatural gifts by the Spirit. (Take for example Luke 9:49-50 or Philip's use of the gifts in Acts 8:6,7,13).

Homework for 1Way:

If the primary purpose of miracles was to authenticate the apostles, as you claim, then why did any one else have a ministry of signs and wonders or miracles? Why did God give gifts of healing and miracles to the church? (1 Cor. 12:7-10; Gal. 3:5). I have never read or heard of a sufficient answer to that question.

If Jesus’ miracles were sufficient to authenticate him as the Son of God and to authenticate his message, why did the apostles have to do miracles? The standard reply is that the apostles had to do miracles to show that they were trustworthy witnesses to Jesus Christ and trustworthy teachers of doctrine. But why couldn’t they just preach about the miracles as much of the church does today? Can’t we be regarded as trustworthy witnesses today without doing miracles? If we can, then why did the apostles need miracles?

At least six times in Paul’s writings he either commands Christians to follow his example as he follows Christ’s example, or he approves of those who follow his example (1 Cor. 4:16-17; 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 4:9; 1 Thess. 1:6; 2 Thess. 3:9). Paul did not make a distinction between those elements in his life that were miraculous and those that are not viewed as miraculous. Paul copied Christ. Christ had miraculous elements in his life, and so did Paul. Poster, are we only to imitate those nonmiraculous elements in the lives of Jesus and Paul? Are they simply to be examples for moral living but not for miraculous ministry? Paul makes no such distinction when he exhorts us to imitate him.

According to the Dictionary, a miracle is defined as:

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin miraculum, from Latin, a wonder, marvel, from mirari to wonder at
Date: 12th century

1 : an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs

According to this definition a miracle would include the new birth. Christ indwelling the believer is a "an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs." Christ intervened in human affairs and manifested an extraordinary event--the new birth.

So what miracles would you like to keep and which ones would you like to throw out?

New birth?
Healing of the broken heart?
Physical healing?
Deliverance from demons?
Opening closed wombs?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Freak

Homework for Shimei:

Read the Bible. Imagine that. :chuckle:

I'll get to 2Way's posts later tonight...

Ok Freak, lets see:

Proverbs 12:15
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But he who heeds counsel is wise.

And

Proverbs 13:16
Every prudent man acts with knowledge, But a fool lays open his folly.

prudent=:1Way:

fool=:freak:

Last edited:

Lucky

Hall of Fame

And if possible, lets not get too subjective, lets let God's word rule over our faith.
:up: Awesome! I'll just skim down to the part where you discuss the Bible and not your subjective experience...

:darwinsm: Oh, I guess your intro was just a joke then. You sure had me fooled. I was hoping for at least a scripture reference. :kookoo:

Lucky

Hall of Fame

Lucky - The OV has no voice on the matter.
Thank you kindly for sharing that. You have to realize that OV is something new to me, as well as much of the theological jargon not seen anywhere in scripture, which is what I'm used to studying. It's gonna take a while before I know what which jargon matches what beliefs.

Thank you for sharing about your lack of knowledge in these areas that for some strange reason, you have found yourself in "disagreement".
Now that's a broad statement that might confuse people. When it come to dispensations, I'm no beginner, yet I'm no where near expert. When it come to miracles, well, I've read a whole lot on that before! And that my friend is where I disagree with you - on miracles. I consider dispensations a different topic. And of course, one I have no idea where you, the other OV-ers, and/or the other Enyartists stand.

(BTW, please do not take offense at my use of "Enyartist" or "Enyartism." I'm in no way trying to be derogatory.)

Freak

Originally posted by drbrumley

Freak,

Had we been living in Egypt when the Exodus was taking place, or Isreal when our Lord Jesus was walking, we would have been aware of supernatural gifts.
Are you so dense to actually believe the garbage that comes out of your mind? We are aware of spiritual gifts via the revealed Word of God. Were you aware of this?

In this time we live, most except Charasmatics believe and rightfully that supernatural gifts are not happening today.
Prove that. You base this on what evidence? Besides, I'm not a charismatic (I attend an Anglican Fellowship) and yet I believe in all of the spiritual gifts, due to the fact that we are told in Holy Scripture that spiritual gifts are given to serve the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:7; 14:26), to equip people to share the gospel (Matthew 10:19,20; Luke 4:18; 1 Corinthians 2:13), and to show God's compassion and concern for His people (examples: Matthew 14:13-14; 20:29-34; Mark 1:40-42). Surely these needs still exist. 1Way, you do believe these needs still exist--healing, deliverance, etc????

Furthermore...the Holy Scriptures don't seem to make any distinction between what we call the "supernatural" gifts and the other "less" supernatural gifts (Note that they appear mixed together in Romans 12:6-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:28). You are seperating some gifts (i.e. gifts of miracles) from the others when the Biblical warrant isn't there. If we are going to deny the operation of "supernatural" gifts in this day, then it seems logical to deny all the gifts of the Spirit mentioned in these passages (not just some).

Sir Robert Anderson addressed himself to this in his book, The Silence of God, and gave a very satisfactory answer to why outward, physical miracles do not occur today,
This is your problem...you trust man over God. Scripture speaks of God giving His spiritual gifts to His people to minister to the hurting (See Matthew 14:13-14; 20:29-34; Mark 1:40-42).

Miracles consist in either the manifestation or the control of power in the physical world beyond human capability. It is not breaking of the laws of nature, but rather the excercising of supernatural power or control over those laws.
Allow me to educate you...

According to the Dictionary, a miracle is defined as:

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin miraculum, from Latin, a wonder, marvel, from mirari to wonder at

According to this definition a miracle would include the new birth. Christ indwelling the believer is a "an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs." Christ intervened in human affairs and manifested an extraordinary event--the new birth.

Christ appealed to His mighty works as one of the witnesses of His Deity (John 5:36). These miracles reveal both the power of God and His goodness, as He healed the sick, opened blind eyes, raised the dead, and delivered His saints from prison.
Are you dumbed down to the point of not being able to understand Scripture?

If Jesus’ miracles were sufficient to authenticate him as the Son of God and to authenticate his message, why did the apostles have to do miracles? The standard reply is that the apostles had to do miracles to show that they were trustworthy witnesses to Jesus Christ and trustworthy teachers of doctrine. But why couldn’t they just preach about the miracles as much of the church does today? Can’t we be regarded as trustworthy witnesses today without doing miracles? If we can, then why did the apostles need miracles?

At least six times in Paul’s writings he either commands Christians to follow his example as he follows Christ’s example, or he approves of those who follow his example (1 Cor. 4:16-17; 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 4:9; 1 Thess. 1:6; 2 Thess. 3:9). Paul did not make a distinction between those elements in his life that were miraculous and those that are not viewed as miraculous. Paul copied Christ. Christ had miraculous elements in his life, and so did Paul. Poster, are we only to imitate those nonmiraculous elements in the lives of Jesus and Paul? Are they simply to be examples for moral living but not for miraculous ministry? Paul makes no such distinction when he exhorts us to imitate him.

Freak

Only the truth can set him or anyone free, and the truth can not even do that if he is unwilling to be truthful and reasonable and rational in the first place, being nicer than God helps no one.
"Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say."

This has been 1Way's problem.

"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

Since 1Way is deaf to the things of God one could conclude that he doesn't belong to God. See the last of what Jesus said: The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.

Can you hear, 1Way? I'm afraid you have duped yourself to believing a lie which has led to your spiritual deafness.

I think I have witnessed enough of you're handling of this debate. It's pathetic. :down: I think I'll await for someone else to debate this issue with me or Bob.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Freak and 1Way are brothers in Christ (miracles are not a salvific issue). Speak the truth in love.

Freak

Originally posted by godrulz
I agree with Freak on miracles. I agree with Enyart of Open Theism. Regardless of our beliefs, they should be defensible from Scripture, and not just anecdotal experience (though there are hundreds of millions of charismatic/Pentecostals who know the person and work of the Holy Spirit today).
My position (or should I say our position) is defensible from Scripture, as I have pointed out. I have not defended my position on the basis of anecdotal evidence. This is clear. :up:

Furthermore..I agree that this isn't a salvation issue. But, I do believe it affects how one ministers and is able to minister....

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dear Freak,Dear 1Way my brothers

Let's please take a step back from both of your definition's of maracles and see if we can reach at least one simple basic area of agreement.
Jesus Christ is right now in the buisness of healing broken hearts and broken lives.

Freak

Originally posted by deardelmar

Dear Freak, Dear 1Way my brothers

Let's please take a step back from both of your definition's of maracles and see if we can reach at least one simple basic area of agreement.
I already gave you the definition of a miracle.

According to this definition a miracle would include the new birth. Christ indwelling the believer is a "an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs." Christ intervened in human affairs and manifested an extraordinary event--the new birth. So miracles do still occur in our day.

Jesus Christ is right now in the buisness of healing broken hearts and broken lives.
Amen and Amen!:thumb: