the bible = the tree of the knowledge of good and evil <> Jesus = the tree of life

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by geralduk

Thats fine.
The initials are ok for it.
:thumb:

My basis for the LAW as is stated in ROMANS.
IT WAS TO GIVE A KNOWLEDGE of sin.
Yes, I agree that it gave a knowledge of sin, it's just that it also gave a knowledge of good as well.

In the keeping of it you cannot inherit eternal life(see the young rich man)
I agree completely!

By the way, I found at least part of my material on this and am going through it now. I'll be ready to present some of it shortly! Also, I'm going out of town on Tuesday and will gone until the weekend so if you don't see anything from me for a few days its only because I don't have access to the Internet from my hotel room. :(

Resting in Him,
Clete

geralduk

In WHAT WAY doesa it give a knolwdge of good?
Seeing that after they had eaten of it thier eyees were opened to thier nakedeness and shame for doing evil in the sight of God.
In no way can it be described as being "good"
Seeing that God has ALREADY shown what is good not only by imstruction but also by the recreation of the world.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

In WHAT WAY doesa it give a knolwdge of good?
Seeing that after they had eaten of it thier eyees were opened to thier nakedeness and shame for doing evil in the sight of God.
In no way can it be described as being "good"
Seeing that God has ALREADY shown what is good not only by imstruction but also by the recreation of the world.

The way you've asked your question I can't tell for sure what exactly you are asking.

If you are asking how the TTKGE gave a knowledge of good then that one is easy. IF you know evil also know good and vise versa. That why they call it the Tree of The Knowledge of Good AND Evil.

If you are asking how The Law gives a knowledge of good the answer would be the same.

Also there's what I already said in my previous post about how the law describes good behavior as well as bad.

Resting in Him,
Clete

MichaelEden

the forbidden fruit...

the tree of the knowledge of good and evil...

It's not only that it's been mis-used...

It's that it ever was used in the first place.

If a portion of something is evil, or contains evil...

then it is unclean.

The knowledge of good and evil is poisoned. Contaminated by the knowledge of evil.

It is unclean.

Jesus = the tree of life

Thank You Jesus

I wash my hands of the bible.

You wash me clean.

Michael111

LightSon

MichaelEden,

Originally posted by MichaelEden

then it is unclean.

The knowledge of good and evil is poisoned. Contaminated by the knowledge of evil.

It is unclean.
So if the tree is unclean, then do you hold that God directly created something that was innately unclean?

I wash my hands of the bible.

You wash me clean.
:confused: Are you implying that the bible is unclean and that after handling it, you are thereby unclean???

I suppose that if (in your view) God can create an unclean tree, then He can create an unclean Bible. :down:

"Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. " Proverbs 30:5

Thanks for clarifying your position.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Lightson,

Michael Eden is clearly an irrational nutcase! Don't humor him, it will only serve to frustate you and further intrench him into his wackoism.
I'm going out of town for a few days. When I return I hope to respond to Geralduk and further establish the idea that the TTKGE represent the Law. When I do, I intend to start another thread with it so as not to bring any more attention to Michael's insanity than is necessary.

God bless!

Resting in Him,
Clete

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
The two trees...........

The two trees...........

Greetings ME(MichaelEden) and all,...........................the story/mythos of the two trees in the Garden have enraptured and titillated Man for centuries. The trees must exist as well as being symbolic, allegorical, correlative.

I wouldnt lump up the whole Bible as being the tree of knowledge as ME does - neither necessarily that the tree represents the Law. To me....the tree of knowledge was inevitable to be tasted....as by it Man would enter into knowledge. The knowledge of good and evil was necessary or at least became a part of mans consciousness....giving him an enhanced form of discernment/conscience. This grant of consciousness naturally gave him the recognition of good and evil. Just because this consciousness included awareness of evil....doesnt make it All evil! In some gnostic mythos...the eating of the tree was essential to give man gnosis(knowledge) for his own enlightenment/salvation.

The tree of knowledge also represents duality - the fall into matter-ial thinking and divided consciousness away from the Whole of Life. Man partook of this forbidden knowledge in the attempt of becoming like God.....and indeed he did to a degree become like God as God himself acknowledged. However...in this state.....they were not permitted to take of the tree of Life at that time.

We are not told how long the Tree of Life was withheld from them...but Life would be promised to them in the fullness of times....when God would send his Word. Generally I hold the tree of Life to represent the SPIRIT. The tree of knowledge represents the soul. The soul cannot save or prosper apart from the Spirit - and therefore....man not only needs gnosis but Spirit-Life!

Soul = tree of knowledge of good and evil
Spirit= tree of Life

Adam and Eve had their soul awakened by partaking of the fruit of knowledge - it brought a division of consciousness...but at the same time an enhanced form of discernment/conscience. Its limited vision of duality brought death.

In due time.....when Man was ready......the tree of Life (the SPIRIT) would be granted to him. Thru the Christ and the outpourring of the Holy Spirit...this was fully realized in the dispensation of grace....and now the Spirit is avaiblable to all men....who will receive it thru the Son.

I take more to a metaphysical view of the Garden and the trees as a garden existing in Mans consciousness - the trees representing aspects of that consciousness. Man may eat of the knowledge of good and evil which includes the carnal realm and tend towards death........or he may eat of the Spirit.....and have life and peace. It depends on what man sets his mind upon. He may dwell in the psyche and reap its fruit which is always duality and divided consciousness....or he may dwell in the spirit....and abide in the wholeness of LIFE.

If God did not want Adam to partake of the fruit.....then why did he place the tree in the garden within his reach? Ah,.......he put it in there just to test Adam did he? Hmmm.....not so sure. In the foreknowledge of God ....this was already known as potential and was part of mans destiny/experience in his souls progress...towards Life. He would have to taste death...and then be renewed in Life - taste good and evil....to move/graduate into the eternal gnosis of the GOOD - experience it all. Thru-out this we have the element of free will ever working - and can only speculate that somehow this will becomes more divinely united with Gods Will.....as the soul ascends...and takes on immortality.

So I would agree with ME on some points...but not that Bible is the tree of knowledge(it is simple a collection of books). Jesus is the tree of Life to us....who brings us into the Life of the SPIRIT.

I would agree with Clete on some aspects shared so far concerning the law and grace relative to the trees.

I do not agree with geralduk that the Law was only given to expose sin - sure...it does that...but its a schoolmaster as well...and demonstrates righteousness/goodness. Remember...the law is good, just and holy.

Thru-out all this we realize that we all have the faculty of conscience...wherein certain laws are written within our being. This is native to all men. Even those without the Law or external laws.....will be judged by what is in their heart relative to conscience. To follow Pauline thought further.......the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace. The law of the Spirit of LIFE in christ Jesus (who is as the Tree of Life).......has set us free from the law of sin and death (struggle of duality, carnality, etc.). Soul-life can only prosper one so far.....and then it ends in the carnality of death. Therefore....the soul after it has exhausted itself...in the pursuit of Life.......embraces the Spirit...who is LIFE...and then the soul may abide in the Spirit......in submission to the Christ...and thereby have and enjoy LIFE ETERNAL.

*just for fun......it is rumored in at least one textbook....that the tree of Life was an actual tree brought in from another world during the creation of Eden...which had the inherent properties within its fruit of immortality. It existed for some time in the early eras of earths beginning....and even perhaps among some of the early patriarchs - some were said to partake of the tree...which gave them an enhanced longevity - but the fruits powers were modifed by other factors and in some cases did not give full immortality....but only the enhanced longevity of physical life. At some point in time...the hallowed tree was taken from the earth. In this narrative....the tree and its fruit were 'actual'.

In Johns visions....he saw that the trees of Life would grow along the river of Life....proceeding from Gods throne...and the leaves of the tree...would be for the healing of the nations. I wonder if these trees also bear fruit? Also....I wonder if these trees are of the same genus of the tree of Life which was in the original Garden of Eden.

Many wonders!

paul

MichaelEden

the forbidden fruit...

the tree of the knowledge of good and evil...

then it is unclean.

It is unclean.

Jesus = the tree of life

Thank You Jesus

I wash my hands of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

You wash me clean.

Michael111

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
forbidden fruits..........

forbidden fruits..........

Hi ME and all,

When I read ME's latest response......I kinda giggled inside - appears we may dealing with a unique individual...and/or a broken record? :cool:

Just for continued sport.....the tree of knowledge brings one into the gnosis of good and evil - it does not necessarily mean the tree itself is evil - the tree's fruit brought enlightenment! Man became like God KNOWING good and evil. You see....the issue is in the 'knowing' (awareness, knowledge, consciousness, perception, discernment). So the tree itself is not necessarily 'unclean' because it gives the partaker the knowledge of evil - the issue is consciousness....and what a person does with his knowledge! So....by your logic........if you have ever thought an evil thought or had awareness of evil....then you are unclean/contaminated!

Adam & Eve did partake of the tree of knowledge.....and since you came from Adam......you too have this 'knowledge of good and evil' - you have a conscience - a faculty of discernment. How could a free moral being function without such knowledge???? It is therefore not an unclean thing to have such knowledge. Knowledge has its place in journey of the soul....and its spiritual progress.

Yes,.....you keep stating that Jesus is the Tree of Life. Bravo. You can wash your hands as much as you want of the tree of knowledge......yet I question the value of such an exercise. As long as you and I are free conscious beings.......there exists an awareness of good and evil......this will continue to be a part of our psyche......until or unless....our soul-consciousness becomes wholly unified in the divine Consciousness of solitary Goodness and no longer has any trace of evil or awareness of it. Has this state or transformation occurred yet? I think not....although its potential ever abides in those who are born of the Spirit....who have the divine deposit.....the Christ.

So far ME.....you appear to have something going for you....and that is correlating Jesus as the Tree of Life - the Vine. The rest rests on your own ideology - since you reject the Bible as being the tree of knowledge of good and evil....which you have yet to prove by sound illustration/argument.....you really have no biblical foundation with which to debate your case....unless you wish to delve a little into philosophical/metaphysical speculations.

Your speculations await further elaboration if you are able.

paul

geralduk

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

The way you've asked your question I can't tell for sure what exactly you are asking.

If you are asking how the TTKGE gave a knowledge of good then that one is easy. IF you know evil also know good and vise versa. That why they call it the Tree of The Knowledge of Good AND Evil.

If you are asking how The Law gives a knowledge of good the answer would be the same.

Also there's what I already said in my previous post about how the law describes good behavior as well as bad.

Resting in Him,
Clete

I ask the question in the way I do to get you to look again at the question and the nature of the problem we are seekign to resolve.
For I think you are looking at the situation in the garden from where we are NOW.
I am looking at it as if we was there. and nothing has yet happened.

You are argueing with the implication that the tree of the knowldge of good and evil needed to be eaten so that they might know the diference between good and evil.
I say this because you are justyfying the that tree as giving them the knowldge of good as well as evil when they ate of it.
I am saying that according to the book of romans that the LAW was given so that men might have a knowledge of SIN and be convicted of it.
That sin might be known to be sin by the law.

Now there are TWO laws.
"The LAW of sin and death."
and the "LAW of CHRIST"

BOTH laws are GOOD.

Yet after they ate of the tree of the knowlegde of GOOD AND EVIL.
They KNEW Gods knowledge of what was good and what was evil was in DEED TRUE.
and that thiers was NOT.
abd it was when the "VOICE of the LORD...." walked in the cool of the evening and called to them were they CONVICTED and they were afraid and went and hid themselves from the presence of the lord.

The IMPLICATION that is inyour words is that they only knew good AFTER they had eaten.
This is not so.
They KNEW ALREADY what was good and what was evil to do as I showed in my first post.
When they ATE of it they did so by doing what was right IN THIER OWN EYES and thus choosing what was good and what was evil according to thier own reasoning and eyes.(many do that in these forums too)
Then when they ate of it thier eyes were opened to see that they had sinned.
Now that which was EVIL was in thier own hearts and that which was GOOD they had; by so doing, been SEPERATED FROM.

If they had overcome evil with the good that God had given them(THE WORD) then would they have known by EXPERIENCE themselves what was good and what was evil but still would have LIVED!
For they would have been sanctified by the truth and would have inherited eternal life.

as it was "while men slept Hid enemy came and sowed tares..."

geralduk

Re: forbidden fruits..........

Re: forbidden fruits..........

Originally posted by freelight

Hi ME and all,

When I read ME's latest response......I kinda giggled inside - appears we may dealing with a unique individual...and/or a broken record? :cool:

Just for continued sport.....the tree of knowledge brings one into the gnosis of good and evil - it does not necessarily mean the tree itself is evil - the tree's fruit brought enlightenment! Man became like God KNOWING good and evil. You see....the issue is in the 'knowing' (awareness, knowledge, consciousness, perception, discernment). So the tree itself is not necessarily 'unclean' because it gives the partaker the knowledge of evil - the issue is consciousness....and what a person does with his knowledge! So....by your logic........if you have ever thought an evil thought or had awareness of evil....then you are unclean/contaminated!

Adam & Eve did partake of the tree of knowledge.....and since you came from Adam......you too have this 'knowledge of good and evil' - you have a conscience - a faculty of discernment. How could a free moral being function without such knowledge???? It is therefore not an unclean thing to have such knowledge. Knowledge has its place in journey of the soul....and its spiritual progress.

Yes,.....you keep stating that Jesus is the Tree of Life. Bravo. You can wash your hands as much as you want of the tree of knowledge......yet I question the value of such an exercise. As long as you and I are free conscious beings.......there exists an awareness of good and evil......this will continue to be a part of our psyche......until or unless....our soul-consciousness becomes wholly unified in the divine Consciousness of solitary Goodness and no longer has any trace of evil or awareness of it. Has this state or transformation occurred yet? I think not....although its potential ever abides in those who are born of the Spirit....who have the divine deposit.....the Christ.

So far ME.....you appear to have something going for you....and that is correlating Jesus as the Tree of Life - the Vine. The rest rests on your own ideology - since you reject the Bible as being the tree of knowledge of good and evil....which you have yet to prove by sound illustration/argument.....you really have no biblical foundation with which to debate your case....unless you wish to delve a little into philosophical/metaphysical speculations.

Your speculations await further elaboration if you are able.

paul

There is not alot of difference between this argument that that which was given to Eve.

MichaelEden

fruit inspection:

wars fought in the name of religion...

violent, and bloody Crusades...

unspeakable acts of cruelty committed in the name of religion, and the bible...

Jesus = the tree of life

Michael111

the Sibbie

fruit inspection:

wars fought in the name of religion...

violent, and bloody Crusades...

unspeakable acts of cruelty committed in the name of religion, and the bible...

Jesus = the tree of life

Michael111
Apparently, you are disgruntled by some of the events in the Bible. I'm surprised you aren't mad at God.

May I suggest you read "The Plot"? It may help clear some things up.

Jerry Shugart

Originally posted by freelight
Adam & Eve did partake of the tree of knowledge.....and since you came from Adam......you too have this 'knowledge of good and evil' - you have a conscience - a faculty of discernment.
freelight,

I agree with you.The first two dispensations are "Innocence" and "Conscience" (Moral Responsibility).

Man was created in innocence and placed in a perfect environment.He did not know good from evil,simply because he knew only good.He had no desire or inclination to disobey God in any way.

The "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" stood as a symbol of the distinction between God and man,a constant reminder that He was the creator and man the creature,and that man´s happiness depended on a recognition of this relationship.Despite this Adam went his own way.He was not compelled to sin but,tempted by Satan,he chose to disobey God.Eve was deceived but Adam transgressed deliberately (1Tim. 7:14).All was suddenly changed as a result of this rebellion against God´s chosen way to govern His creatures.After the fall we read that Adam “begat a son of his own likeness,after his image”(Gen.1:26;5:3).

The dispensation of Innocence ended in man´s expulsion from Eden (Gen.3:24).It closed with man rebelling against his Creator and instead of remaining in a state of "innocence" he now had the "knowledge of good and evil" written in His heart:

"Who shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness"(Ro.2:15).

It is in this way that death came upon all men.The Lord will not impute sin when there is no law (Ro.5:13),but as soon as Adam ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil man has God's law written in their hearts,and the conscience bears witness to that law.They are now without excuse,and the Lord will now impute sin to the sinner because he does have a knowledge of God's law.

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned"(Ro.5:12).

In His grace,--Jerry

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Jerry,

I have wanted to write a post showing the parallel between the Law and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. But it is somewhat of a complex issue and I have very limited time and haven't been able to get it done.
You seem more than qualified for such a task and if my guess is right you are aware of the connection between the two. If you have the time and are inclined to do so, I would delight in reading a post from you on the subject.
If not, I will get around to it myself, I'm just not sure when!

God Bless!

Resting in Him,
Clete

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
the consciousness of good and evil...

the consciousness of good and evil...

Originally posted by Jerry Shugart

freelight,

I agree with you.The first two dispensations are "Innocence" and "Conscience" (Moral Responsibility).

Man was created in innocence and placed in a perfect environment.He did not know good from evil,simply because he knew only good.He had no desire or inclination to disobey God in any way.

The "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" stood as a symbol of the distinction between God and man,a constant reminder that He was the creator and man the creature,and that man´s happiness depended on a recognition of this relationship.Despite this Adam went his own way.He was not compelled to sin but,tempted by Satan,he chose to disobey God.Eve was deceived but Adam transgressed deliberately (1Tim. 7:14).All was suddenly changed as a result of this rebellion against God´s chosen way to govern His creatures.After the fall we read that Adam “begat a son of his own likeness,after his image”(Gen.1:26;5:3).

The dispensation of Innocence ended in man´s expulsion from Eden (Gen.3:24).It closed with man rebelling against his Creator and instead of remaining in a state of "innocence" he now had the "knowledge of good and evil" written in His heart:

"Who shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness"(Ro.2:15).

It is in this way that death came upon all men.The Lord will not impute sin when there is no law (Ro.5:13),but as soon as Adam ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil man has God's law written in their hearts,and the conscience bears witness to that law.They are now without excuse,and the Lord will now impute sin to the sinner because he does have a knowledge of God's law.

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned"(Ro.5:12).

In His grace,--Jerry

)========== Hi Jerry,..............it would appear that the tree of knowledge was a necessary part of the divine plan....in mans eternal evolution. If the dynamic of conscience in the inner man can be represented by the tree of knowledge....then how could man evolve, experience, 'know', recognize the relativities, qualities of good and evil in a conscious way??? It would seem appropriate that man have a consciousness which can re-cognize certain values relative the use of he free will choices. Sin itself appears to be part of mans evolutional process...whereby he must experience all the dynamics of law, conscience, mind and spirit....in his ascension and progression towards the perfection of Love....whereby he can become so one with God...that his entire being is goverened thereby.....thus fulfilling the Law in every aspect. So sin now in man is an inevitable feature/proclivity potential relative to his free will liberties. While man lives out the dynamics of sin in his evolutional process....the tree of Life is afforded him when he is ready by grace and certain acheivements to partake of its quickening. The tree is guarded by the Cherubim......but access is allowed for those who qualify in right timing and the grace of God......thru the Christ/Light. In this sense....'gnosis' is part of mans tools to enable him towards enlightenment. Nevertheless....this gnosis will be the preeminence within the soul when it attains its prefection in the Light...when the soul shall know the fullness of God as its all in all. Whether we will still be able to distinguish or know evil in any way - who can say? Attaining a state where there is no more sin or death...would imply that we are so wholly sancitifed in holy spirit and Love that it is impossible for us to no longer sin. In the meantime.....gnosis in many dimensions is ours and can be ours in a beneficial sense...and the inner law of the conscience more or less is active within. It may appear that the tree of knowledge and Life....are aspects within the psyche of man...as the garden represents mans soul. My previous allegories may apply to this view.

paul

geralduk

Again the 'arguments' have an explicit implication that it was NESCERSARY that they eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
and was therefore Gods will!

This was not nor CANNOT be the case.
Seeing that He had ALREADY told them HIS will.

NOR did they need to eat of it to "know good and evil"
For God had ALREADY told them what was GOOD AND WHAT WAS EVIL.

It is when man REJECTS the LIVELY Word of God as to what is good and what is evil and does that "which is RIGHT in his OWN EYES" that he came and STILL comes to greif.
REPENT then is where man WILLINGLY rejects HIS OWN ideas about what is good and what is evil and accepts GODS veiw on the matter.

"MY PEOPLE perish FOR THEY LACK VISION for they have REJECTED KNOWLEDGE"

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Again the 'arguments' have an explicit implication that it was NESCERSARY that they eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
and was therefore Gods will!

This was not nor CANNOT be the case.
Seeing that He had ALREADY told them HIS will.

NOR did they need to eat of it to "know good and evil"
For God had ALREADY told them what was GOOD AND WHAT WAS EVIL.

Quite right! :up:
The Tree was put in the midst of the garden as an alternative to God. In other words, they could have learned all there was to know about good and evil from living a relationship with God but they chose instead to take a short cut and ate of the Tree.
Today we are faced with a similar choice. We can choose to live in a relationship with the living God and thereby be righteous or we can set up a list of rules that gives an appearance of righteousness but is of no value against the flesh.

Resting in Him,
Clete

geralduk

I cannot say it was an 'alternative' to God.
Bare with me if I seem to be picknicking with your words.
and perchance what you have in mind is not fully expresed by your words.
But where all christians are to come "to a unity of the faith"
It is clear then we must all come to a UNITY OF UNDERSTANDING!
For faith comes by hearing and that by UNDERSTANDING the Word of God.
Therefore to have that UNITY of faith we must of nescesaty have a unity of understanding.
and that which Gods supplies.
So my 'obejections' to that phrase is NOT personal in any way directed.
But more for a clarity of understanding.
Both of scripture and each other in Christ.

sO LET US BE AS SURGEONS if you will with the the patient on the table.
Not as if we care not about the life of the 'patient' but that we seek its 'FULL RECOVERY'
AND SO are carefull in 'all' things.
as far as we are able and as God allows.

you say it is an 'alternative' to God.
but how can this be seeign that God "planted it"
and it was good.
In that it was EVIL to eat thereof it WAS 'alternative' to that which was GOOD TO EAT.
Notwithastanding though.
Even as ELECTRICITY is GOOD when the principles and honoured but is fatal when they are not.
The knowledge of good and evil was 'GOOD' to have.
seeing that there WAS evil IN THE WORLD.

God will was then to OVERCOME evil with that which was good.
overcome the temptations of the flesh and in due time recive eternal life.
In that case the lord WAS tempted in all things as we are.
but where as they failed in paradise He conquered in a wilderness.
But in BOTH they were given the WORD of God.
By which, when tempted TO DO WHAT WAS RIGHT IN THIER OWN EYES they were to OVERCOME HIM WHO TEMPTED THEM.and do that which was "written"

and where as they PERISHED JESUS lived.
and it could be argued'
That even as they; if they had not fallen would not have died.
So if Christ had "not laid down His life...." He would NEVER had died also.
For He was the second and last Adam.

and so in that perfection which in all things He was; He who would have LIVED FOREVER having no sin or sinning having laid down His life"that He might take it up again" inherited eternal life.
In conformity with that ETERNAL WILL of the FATHER.
and by the which will we who were once afar off have been brought nigh by the blood of His cross and in WHOM we are reconciled to His glory forever.
and that which was "lost" HAS BEEN FOUND and that which was perodained from before the foundations of the world has through Him who loved us been through Him entered into.
and that will of God so ordained and which pleases Him is now worked out in and through us because of Him who is our life.
For He "in whom was life" died that qwe through Him might have LIFE and life more abundantly.
and having given us LIFE through His Son has BLESSED US . and told us to go into all the world and preach the gospel.