Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 642 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leftovermuffin View Post
    Ive been hanging out here for a while now i guess its time to introduce myself..

So, hi my name is Ryan
    You can make an introduction thread here.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

BANNED
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theology Online

Shiu Yon Zhou spine at Denver Bible Church today. Her suggestion was incredible. She beams about growing up in China and how her fellow citizen turned her in to the government for the offense of being with child and how the government forced her to have an abortion.
    Last edited by Knight; July 19th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all new TOL'ers!

Welcome!
    "I do not believe that there is any purposeless evil in God's creation." ~James White

source

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to meet you Ryan! My name is Shelby!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,493 Times in 9,617 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
    Nice to meet you Ryan! My name is Shelby!
    Who's Ryan?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

Tambora (May 29th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,740 Times in 8,353 Posts

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Who's Ryan?
    maybe csudude?

Quote Originally Posted by Interplanner View Post
    They can't compete with a real writer and grammar scholar
    You're too literal to get it.
    The New Covenant preceded the Old Covenant.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaulToPaul View Post
    maybe csudude?

I figured it out. But somebody needs to learn to use the quote function.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

Tambora (May 29th, 2016)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone, its taken awhile to reply back. I've been reading back dated post on this site for several weeks, kinda got caught up in the moment, LOL. I must say, defintely a diverse group of beliefs. For now, I'll being taking the back seat of this ordained ride and get to know each ones character. Love is the passion for oneness, may we all be one.

Ray

Over 1000 post club dreadknought's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raypb View Post
    Hello everyone, its taken awhile to reply back. I've been reading back dated post on this site for several weeks, kinda got caught up in the moment, LOL. I must say, defintely a diverse group of beliefs. For now, I'll being taking the back seat of this ordained ride and get to know each ones character. Love is the passion for oneness, may we all be one.

Ray
    A newbie who reads first. Welcome....
    "I will guard my ways That I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle While the wicked are in my presence." I was mute and silent, I refrained even from good, And my sorrow grew worse. My heart was hot within me, While I was musing the fire burned; Then I spoke with my tongue:"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. NASB

Over 750 post club The Graphite's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Ordained ride? How care you make such a reference. God did not foreordain this website, and as an Open Theist, I find such a statement offensive. This "ride" is created by the libertarian free will choices of multiple human beings and has nothing to do with divine foreordination!

Erhhhh... actually, maybe I shouldn't smack around a newbie just moments after they walk in the door. Sorry, heh heh....

Welcome!

.... say... seen any elephants, lately?

One Post Wonder
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hell to believe in Hell.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pmurray...ries/0168.html

I'm an M.K., a missionaries' kid. I'm also a lawyer. (There must an oxymoron in there somewhere). From experience I can state that it is hell to believe in Hell. For forty years my universe contained a literal Hell that I took for granted, where the vast majority of humanity (me and a few other believers excepted because we were the one's who'd made it through the narrow gate) would forever live in unending, irreversible, unimaginable torment. This was the just and direct result of their rejection of Jesus Christ. My parents were missionaries primarily because they believed that, even those who had never heard of Jesus were going to Hell. This is because, if you haven't accepted Jesus, you have, by default rejected Jesus. There was no "in between". You were either saved or lost. Many of us even believed that you could lose your salvation if you screwed up. I preferred the idea of "once saved, always saved". It's called "eternal security", as I'm sure you know.

From birth, through High School and Bible School, I was immersed in fundamentalist Christianity. It wasn't until University that I became close to anyone who was "unsaved". When I spent the last year of my undergraduate degree and the first year of Law in a co-ed residence at U.W.O., my new baptism by immersion was complete.

The closer I came to my "unsaved" friends, the more I appreciated them as good people. I observed a great deal of immoral behavior, certainly far below community standards. But not once did I see anything that would come close to deserving Hell. When I "shared my testimony" to them, they seldom accepted what I said. But they didn't reject what I said, either. Generally they remained open, but unconvinced. A crack in my faith appeared that was a direct result of Hell (I'm sure my fundamentalist friends would have fun with that statement). I began to question, specifically because I couldn't imagine any of my friends in Hell while I was in Heaven. I realized that, if I truly believed in the Hell that I had taken for granted, I would either go insane, or I would be irresistibly compelled to dedicate all my resources in a desperate attempt, by any means whatsoever, to persuade the lost to accept Jesus as Savior.

At one point I asked God to give me a taste of Hell, so that I would be more passionate in my attempts to lead my friends to Jesus. If God has answered that prayer in any way that makes sense to me, it is to show me that because of who God is, Hell cannot exist.

Over the past ten years, as my Christian faith has decreased, my God has expanded. My understanding and appreciation of who God is has exploded. At the same time I have been impressed with how small my scope of reference is. I expect that there will always be more to God that I don't know, than that I do know

I am exploring a God who has unlimited good options available. God doesn't motivate me by fear of Hell. God motivates me by the deep pleasure that following God's guidance gives. God doesn't judge me. He doesn't need to. He knows me. God doesn't require anything from me, but He gives me the pleasure that comes from contributing. God does not tell me that I'm evil. He shows me His goodness.

My scope of reference is too big for me to own blind faith, but it is far too small for me to claim any dogma. Even so, I now believe (not absolutely, but beyond any reasonable doubt that I am aware of) that Hell does not exist, in any form.

This topic fascinates me because, if the fundamentalists are correct, absolutely nothing, not even the extinction of the human race should consume another ounce of our resources. If they are correct everything else is insignificant. We can have only one desperate focus and that is to save the souls of those we love. Anything else, for all eternity, will be a total waste. On the other hand, if they are wrong, then let's hope that more people will recognize how destructive it is to believe the people are evil, and that God's only option was such a hellish one.

Over 1000 post club dreadknought's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... If you were at peace with God, you'd be able to discern good from evil, and the light from the darkness. John 3:19 Romans 5:1
    Reality is distasteful, so is a literal hell. Matthew 23:33; 2 Peter 2:4-22

2 Thessalonians 3:2 Colossians 1:21-23 1 John 5:19 2 John 1:11 Hebrews 5:14
    "I will guard my ways That I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth as with a muzzle While the wicked are in my presence." I was mute and silent, I refrained even from good, And my sorrow grew worse. My heart was hot within me, While I was musing the fire burned; Then I spoke with my tongue:"LORD, make me to know my end And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am. NASB

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not about deserving Hell, it's about not deserving to be in the presence of God.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

Tambora (May 29th, 2016)

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, I suppose I should post on the forum designated for such things. Sorry!
    Last edited by turdleman; December 12th, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Wrong forum/topic

One Post Wonder
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, everybody.

There's been a lot of religious conflict in my life of late, with my brother a diehard Catholic and myself an ex-Agnostic now moving towards Atheism. I haven't had much opportunity for as much religious debate (or debate in general, for that matter) as I would like, so I thought I'd join up here.

Thread Information