The Abolishment of the Law and Religion

Robert Pate

Banned
While Jesus was dying on the cross God tore the veil that covered the "Holy of Holies" from the top to the bottom, Matthew 27:51. This signified the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion. From here on the Jews were no longer required to offer sacrifices or to practice the Jewish religion. This is why Paul said, "The Just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. To continue to practice religion is a denial of the Gospel and justification by faith.

The words "Law" and "Religion" mean the same thing. To practice the law is to practice religion. Paul said, "For as many as are of the works of the law (religion) are under a curse: for it is written, cursed is everyone that does not continue to do every thing that is written in the book of law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law (religion) in the sight of God, it is evident: for, THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH" Romans 3:10,11.

The only requirement in Christianity is faith and not works or religion. God does not accept the works or the religion of sinners, which we are all one of. Christians receive the gift of faith by hearing and believing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. "So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17. Those that hear and believe the Gospel are sealed with the Holy Spirit, Ephesians 1:13 and are spiritually placed "In Christ" Colossians 3:3.

They no longer practice the law, nor do they follow a religion. The good works that will follow is because they have been born again by the Gospel, 1 Peter 1:23, and are now God's workmanship that has been created in Jesus Christ unto good works, Ephesians 2:10.

Nanja

Pate

requirement in Christianity is faith and not works or religion

This is salvation by works of the law!

So True Brother.

Those in false religion are under the impression that they can perform the work [ergon] of faith in their own carnal mind and please God, but they are deceived: That's salvation by works of the law Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 2:16. For the only Faith that pleases God is a fruit and effect of the Holy Spirit Gal. 5:22 which is given John 3:27 to a person when they are born again John 3:3-7!

Rom. 8:7-11
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.
Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

So a person must first be quickened, or Born of the Spirit of God, before they have the God-Given ability to have Faith in Him / to Believe in Him in a way that pleases God!

~~~

Robert Pate

Banned
So what is it that defines sin?

The law defines sin,Romans 3:19. But where there is no law there is no sin. The Christian is not subject to the law, nor does he live by law. He lives by faith, faith in the doing and the dying of Jesus. "THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The law defines sin,Romans 3:19. But where there is no law there is no sin. The Christian is not subject to the law, nor does he live by law. He lives by faith, faith in the doing and the dying of Jesus. "THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

Romans 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law.

You may claim you are not subject to God's law but when you sin you incur the same penalty as everyone else.

Romans 2:11 For there is no partiality with God.

beloved57

Romans 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law.

You may claim you are not subject to God's law but when you sin you incur the same penalty as everyone else.

Romans 2:11 For there is no partiality with God.

Jesus for His People has already incurred the penalty for their sins. God therefore doesnt charge them with their sins anymore. Rom 4:7-8

[FONT=&quot]Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.[/FONT]

marhig

Jesus for His People has already incurred the penalty for their sins. God therefore doesnt charge them with their sins anymore. Rom 4:7-8

[FONT=&quot]Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.[/FONT]

There's no way the we can still wilfully sin and expect God just say oh you're ok, you don't have to do anything you just love your flesh and live your life your saved regardless. That is nonsense!

We will suffer if we commit wilful sinning, if we carry on then the penalty is death. Which is being dead to God because he won't stay with us if we go against him.

God doesn't write his laws upon our hearts and minds for no reason, we are to obey him.

Hebrews 10

This*is*the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. Now where remission of these*is, there is*no more offering for sin.

Romans 3

Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Romans 6

What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.*Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

beloved57

There's no way the we can still wilfully sin and expect God just say oh you're ok, you don't have to do anything you just love your flesh and live your life your saved regardless. That is nonsense!

We will suffer if we commit wilful sinning, if we carry on then the penalty is death. Which is being dead to God because he won't stay with us if we go against him.

God doesn't write his laws upon our hearts and minds for no reason, we are to obey him.

Hebrews 10

This*is*the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. Now where remission of these*is, there is*no more offering for sin.

Romans 3

Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Romans 6

What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.*Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Those Christ died for are reconciled to God by His death, while they are enemies, hating God Rom 5:10, and them that are reconciled to God, God does not impute their sins to them 2 Cor 5:19

[FONT=&quot]To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

[/FONT]

Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Do they sin ? Yes every day all day ! Does God charge it to them ? No

beloved57

marhig
We will suffer if we commit wilful sinning, if we carry on then the penalty is death.

That might be true in your false religion. However in the Religion of Jesus Christ, the death that His People incurred for sin, He already paid the penalty of death for them, hence He died for their sins. So even though they still sin, the penalty of death has already been paid, and they have eternal life ! Rom 6:23 and God doesnt charge them for their sinning !

csuguy

Matthew 5:17-20 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

turbosixx

If there is no sin then why did Paul have this man thrown out of the church at Corinth?

I Cor. 5:2 You have become arrogant and have not mourned instead, so that the one who had done this deed would be removed from your midst....5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Robert Pate

Banned
If there is no sin then why did Paul have this man thrown out of the church at Corinth?

I Cor. 5:2 You have become arrogant and have not mourned instead, so that the one who had done this deed would be removed from your midst....5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Spiritually, the Christian is not subject to the law, or religion, nor does he live according to the law and religion.

Physically, he is born under the law and is subject to the law and lives his whole life under the law.

The Christian lives in the spiritual and is led by the Spirit.

"The letter (law) kills, but the Spirit gives life" 2 Corinthians 3:6.

Robert Pate

Banned

To keep the Gospel from being corrupted.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Robert Pate Confuses Law and Gospel

Robert Pate Confuses Law and Gospel

The words "Law" and "Religion" mean the same thing.
Only in your own personal dictionary would this be true, Robert. Sigh.

Better that you would distinguish between the gospel itself and the gospel as outwardly administered. The gospel as such is only good news. What God commands He promises to give. In this respect all commands are properly the domain of the law. However, there is a moral element in the outward administration of the gospel as it is preached. It says, Believe, and be saved; Repent, or perish.

The gospel administration properly includes moral imperatives of the law. Even the command to believe is drawn from the first commandment, though the grace to believe is given by the gospel. In this respect the Scriptures speak of obeying or disobeying the gospel, i.e., in terms of its commands which it has borrowed from the law. But receiving salvation is not owing to the moral act of believing, but to the reception of the grace promised in the gospel.

God intends His law to function in three ways:

The law's first function is to be a mirror reflecting to us both the perfect righteousness of God and our own sinfulness and shortcomings. Thus the law bids us, as we try to fulfill its requirements, and become wearied in our weakness under it, to know how to ask the help of grace.

The law is meant to give knowledge of sin (Rom. 3:20; 4:15; 5:13; 7:7-11) and, by showing us our need of pardon and our danger of damnation, to lead us in repentance and faith to Christ (Gal. 3:19-24).

The law's second function is to restrain evil. Though it cannot change the heart, the law can, to some extent, inhibit lawlessness by its threats of judgment, especially when backed by a civil code that administers present punishment for proven offenses (Deut. 13:6-11;19:16-21;Rom. 13:3-4). Thus it secures some civil order and goes some way to protect the righteous from the unjust.

The law's third function is to guide the regenerate into the good works that God has planned for them (Eph. 2:10).

Our Lord was speaking of this third use of the law when He said that those who become His disciples must be taught to keep the law and to do all that He had commanded (Matt. 5:18-20;28:20), and that it is obedience to His commands that will prove the reality of one’s love for Him (John 14:15). The Christian is free from the law as a supposed system of salvation (Rom. 6:14;7:4,6;1 Cor. 9:20; Gal. 2:15-19;3:25) but is “under Christ’s law” as a rule of life (1 Cor. 9:21;Gal. 6:2).

God’s law is a joy, not a burden. It is written on our hearts, not carried on our shoulders.

AMR

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Spiritually, the Christian is not subject to the law, or religion, nor does he live according to the law and religion.

:rotfl: That's like a skydiver claiming they don't believe in gravity.

Robert, you are only fooling yourself. Everyone is accountable for sin.

Yes, even you.

Nanja

To be witnesses for Christ and his Gospel.

The only Faith that pleases God is a fruit of the Spirit given to His elect when they are Born Again Gal. 5:22.

Until then, a person's witness is carnal / of the flesh; merely that of a false gospel of works Rom. 8:8.

Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

God's Mercy is exclusively for His Vessels of Mercy Rom. 9:23!

~~~