Isn't it reasonable to doubt Young Earth Creationism?

Lon

Why would an omniscient god need to be inquisitive?
:plain: He said 'in man' it demonstrates as being inquisitive. Trying to 'be' like our God, we are inquisitive. Why? Because we AREN'T omniscient. I don't agree with Cabinetmaker, but he didn't misspeak.

No it isn't. To make it more cartoonishly simple, it is the difference between deciding that you will have to follow a set of instructions and complete the project of someone else to their specifications, or deciding to work on your own project.
You do philosophy better than theology. I agree with you on this. Moses agrees with you too.
It's an ignorant parody of what isn't actually going on in the real world, one often promoted by creationists on behalf of their conspiracy theory.
I'm NOT a scientist, but don't believe you quite correct either. It is somewhere in between the two because today's ancestor theory is different from Darwin's. I get this. Many who only have Darwin will not. Also, if science AND theology are dismissing Darwinian thought, it'd be a good idea to agree on what those are.
In the case of your god's rules, the main threat of hurt appears to be the threatened actions of the god.
You mean like "if you kill somebody, you are going to jail or may be executed"? :think:
Here we could have been, discussing the apparent beauty of the universe, but you seem to have turned it back to a petty consideration of the selfish christian obsession with the behaviours of one species of primate on just one planet in one solar system. It doesn't matter that the Andromeda galaxy is going to collide with our galaxy in 4 billion years, or that newborn babies have such brilliant adaptive strategies for making their parents look after them, as long as we know in keen detail the creepy interest the god has in which apes have sex with which other apes, and in what circumstances, or whether the god is happy with any ape that might bow down to a statue.

See why a universe created by your god could not be beautiful? It would be a petty one.
Just emoting without understanding. I saw a child do this with his parent when asked to do something he didn't want to do: Just threw a fit and walked off and learned nothing.
Yes, that sounds like a fantasy to me, but worse, it is an assertion of magic in a case where we have a proper explanation for how it really happened.
:nono: If something happens, there is always a 'way' that it happens. Btw, even Big Bang is a guess. I've no real problem with the idea as the two can coincide. IOW, to me, it seems likely Hawking was describing ex Nihilo just the same it could have happened. There is no conflict other than when science misses the instrument for that happening. I also agree with Hawking that time began then too. You could, as a scientist hold to Christian theology and 'should' only counter with certain kinds of Christians (YEC etc.). Your objection doesn't eschew Christianity or God iow.

That seems to be the standard christian answer to dwindling god belief, a strawman argument: we worship money instead. Well, I can't complain about living in poverty, obviously I have access to the internet and the basic necessities of life. But this characterisation, which springs up so often from christians has even led to people thinking the only meaning of the word materialism is the collection of money and material goods. I don't think I have done any kind of replacing of god worship with mammon worship, I hope to collect experiences that enrich my life as an African ape trying to make sense of the other apes and the universe as a whole, but I am a materialist in the sense of matter being the only thing that is real, and of course that has to extend nowdays to other things we know are real that you wouldn't call matter, but that is the principle nonetheless.
Philosophy is largely beyond the material plain. I believe there are more Christians, percentage-wise, than there have ever been. There certainly are more Christians by numbers than there have ever been. Your numbers are a bit associated with navel-gazing.

Which is why I say a depraved person might reach up and catch the hand of christianity, but he could reach a little further to the stars, and therefore not have to entertain the depravity of Christianity.
This is confusing creation with his Maker. Huge difference.
And there could be an argument made for even economic materialism still being more morally defensible than christianity anyway.
:nono: Wrong. Fact. I would have been a great survival of the fittest guy before Christianity. I'd have made it to the top on the backs of those less fit without any hang-up whatsoever. I was born for it. God pulled me away from it. You are quite mistaken. You'd have been nothing more than a cog. A lesser ape for me to step on. I've no idea where you guys get your ideas, but I'm very different than I would have been. Stars? Wouldn't have made me better. I'm a different person. I care about you, in fact, and NOW wouldn't dream of such things. Something HAD to remove me from the chain of that 'survival of the fittest' selfish cycle.

Your god is not acceptable to me then. I have friends who are gay. Any god that denies that their love for one another, expressed however they feel they want to, is a petty god worthy of condemnation for its hatred. That should be our collective enemy, the god of hating what it made.
:plain: I too have homosexual friends. I've seen the harm. You'd hate God if He said "Don't smoke!"? I know a lot of smokers too.

No, because religions have no correction mechanisms.
Human ones do. It is a question of you catering to God, or a god catering to you. Every religion is one or the others. Again, your theology is in need of redress. If God dictates, no adjustment. It is true. If just from men? It already comes with man's interpretations and whims.

I cannot respect faith as a basis for anything.
Did you say that to your wife when you asked her to marry you, that you couldn't take her pledge on good faith?

When you talk as the meme, it looks to me like you are the kind of person whom I should very strongly distrust.
Why? Sincerity and 'best interests' are important, no?

When you talk as yourself, that beer you suggested sounds welcome. I think you are a clear case of the under title of Christopher Hitchens' book, 'How religion poisons everything'.
Hitchens is a poisonous unthinking man. He emotes. Granted he is articulate, but it is all emoting.
There is no such thing. It is not a valid concept. You need a different word than cause. Uncaused is just as bad, because that denies that there could be mechanistic reasons relating to the properties of space-time, which of course we cannot know, because any event where matter and energy arise from borrowing from the process of inflation means there was nothing 'left from last time' (another impossible concept).
But you still have an uncaused cause, apparently. Your god can do anything you want to invent. It can do magic and just exist 'outside space-time' (another invalid concept if your god is capable of interacting with matter and energy). Any accusations made by the religious attacking Big Bang cosmology as uncaused are just bald hypocrisy.
:think: Try again with just 'big bang caused' or "God caused." Something happened, and as a result (caused) thus and so....

At least in a brutal totalitarian regime the people can escape by dying. But not even that is possible in your brutal totalitarian regime, which celebrates as its central theme the killing of a human.
Killing is not the end, unless you are completely materialistic, but even then, matter and energy cannot be destroyed, it just goes on. You'd have to think philosophically to follow into theology. Theologically, it is not the end, but being sent to your room. It is an expression of family already. If the idea is foreign or oppressive, one would want to know what contexts are the same and different (I probably need to unpack this further)

I don't think you will be allowed to believe that last part. Isn't the seeking of the knowledge of man a bad thing, and isn't the original attempt to seek knowledge the whole basis of your compulsory but impossible mission of repairing your 'relationship with god'? Judeo-christianity is one big celebration of ignorance.
If your theology is from Hitchens and Dawkins and Hawking, then you are getting amateur theology and embracing it. None of these guys are theologians. They aren't even American. Knowledge is different than scientific speculation and theory. One is an absolute. The other dare not be. No Christian stifles scientific inquiry. That's a strawman. "Multiply and subdue the earth" is a good science command.

Another celebration of ignorance. Thank goodness the god has grown that Tree of Knowledge well out of our reach now, eh?
He didn't say anything for this redirected ire....unless you've been reading a lot of Hitchens, Dawkins or Hawking. Then it'd make sense, but YOU'D simply be a British dupe without critical thinking skills... :think:

How many ways are there to god?
One. How many ways are there to consume food? Have children? Marry a wife? :noway: A lot of things come to us without variety or choice: Nothing in and of itself unloving or unkind about that at all.

Yes, and I have used my conscience to do that. And you should be saying that my conscience is god-given. So you are telling me that I should not trust this 'divine gift'.

Stuart
I've often correct spoiled brats whose sense of right and wrong needed adjusting. I'm not sure where your conscience is at, but simply being an adult doesn't mean we've gotten it entirely right. I'd assume, however, you do know when you do something wrong and I'd suspect it doesn't agree with you.

Stuu

You'd have to eliminate bibles, erase history, travel to all countries, and still, it'd be an impossibility. You'd have to annihilate humanity for Christianity to disappear because God exists. You are betting against God.
Christianity has been around for 2,000 of the 185,000 year history of humanity. That's about 1% of human history. Easy come, easy go. No need to annihilate anything, just let it die the death it is currently enjoying. Brains seem primed to see gods, as we have discussed, so no doubt some new delusion will arise to scratch that irrational itch.
As are you, an amateur and these poor scholars. This is my field of study. I know what I'm talking about. You can posture without the credentials all you like. It makes not one whit of difference among theology circles. Anybody that wants to know 'can' ask me. The rest of you will have to rest on your unprofessional laurels and ad hoc websites. It is just not viable. Sorry. True story. This isn't that thread, but I have the wherewithal to put it all into a 6 foot hole.
Aren't you special. And drunk as well?
Sorry, in scholastic circles, your shoving indoctrination is what is considered horrible academics. Listen. If a child cannot find that a thing is best by reading and interacting with the material, then you are indoctrinating. It is a form of thought control. I've no idea what passes in your neck of the woods (country), but this is a here in the states and bad form. It is brain-washing. Kids MUST evaluate what is presented and themselves, with their parents input, decide what is the best explanation of things. Worse? Science itself is always open to correction thus you've closed that door for students and they are no longer scientists. Just followers.
Students need to understand that science is not a democracy. There are such things as wrong answers. Creationism is a wrong answer. By all means have an engaging curriculum and philosophy of teaching, but letting students decide what the outcomes of hundreds of years of work in areas which can raise very counter-intuitive ideas would be a form of abandonment. Science involves consensus and argument, and sometimes one regime dying and another, better one taking over. It is full of coups and counter-coups. The majority vote is irrelevant. The consensus is about empirical evidence and nothing else. None of that has to involve brain-washing, it can be done by proper modern teaching practice with student engagement and autonomy, surely.
Hogwash. There are plenty of YEC scientists beside you doing the work. The ONLY thing you don't like about them is a theory and disagreement of origins. They are COMPLETELY able to perform and even compete with you in the marketplace and science field. COMPLETELY. No question.
About 4% of professional scientists hold the kind of views you are describing, with less than 1% in the case of biologists. they are not completely able to 'compete', whatever that means, because it is very rare to find a scientist with YEC views working in a field where those views have any bearing on the scientist's research.
You may be an atheist (given) but you are not scientist with such prognosticating. It is brainwashing. No scientist believes science theories have no challenge. Not one of them. We'd still be flat-earth if that were true. Science is not done in a vacuum. Like its theory, it is open to influence and reinterpretation as well as proven wrong.
Young earth creationism does not challenge any view of science currently. Not one. and that is because young earth creationism has been disproved in its entirety long ago. The more 'sophisticated' breeds of creationism, such as Intelligent Design, have been disproved more recently.
When I was in school, 'brontosaurus' was taught. "IF" it had been presented as you postulate, I'd never trust science again. They'd have been inept for such posturing. Frankly, there is no room for it.
And what is wrong with 'brontosaurus', exactly?
It is 'okay' to question how old the earth is.
Sure, that has happened at lot in history. By 1862 the calculated age of the earth had reached a minimum of 20 million years old based on cooling from a molten planet, although one estimate based on the contraction of the sun, the assumed source of its energy output, gave 18 million years old. Of course both processes are greatly slowed by nuclear reactions, unknown at the time.
It is like having an operation. You can be cured. I wouldn't call meeting somebody a sixth sense per say, but look: You and I are chatting. There is absolutely no 5 senses telling you I exist. For all you know, I could be a computer program. Why don't you believe that? Because it isn't reasonable. It doesn't fit expectation. For that alone, you should investigate a LOT further than you have. How can I say that? Because you've never asked me or likely anyone else how they know. I do agree, I'm different than the Thomases (disciple) out there. I believed, then saw rather than saw and believed. Jesus and God made logical sense. No, not fitting all my rationale or explanations, but viable nonetheless. Because I believed, I've seen a lot of things without confirmation bias. These things just don't happen otherwise. They just don't. If any of that is/were intriguing, you'd ask. If not, then you don't want that extra sense, whatever it is. A blind man might choose to stay blind by the same token.
Can't see a good reason to believe in your god there. Just more boasting.

Stuart

Stuu

He said 'in man' it demonstrates as being inquisitive. Trying to 'be' like our God, we are inquisitive. Why? Because we AREN'T omniscient. I don't agree with Cabinetmaker, but he didn't misspeak. You do philosophy better than theology. I agree with you on this. Moses agrees with you too. I'm NOT a scientist, but don't believe you quite correct either. It is somewhere in between the two because today's ancestor theory is different from Darwin's. I get this. Many who only have Darwin will not. Also, if science AND theology are dismissing Darwinian thought, it'd be a good idea to agree on what those are. You mean like "if you kill somebody, you are going to jail or may be executed"? Just emoting without understanding. I saw a child do this with his parent when asked to do something he didn't want to do: Just threw a fit and walked off and learned nothing. If something happens, there is always a 'way' that it happens. Btw, even Big Bang is a guess. I've no real problem with the idea as the two can coincide. IOW, to me, it seems likely Hawking was describing ex Nihilo just the same it could have happened. There is no conflict other than when science misses the instrument for that happening. I also agree with Hawking that time began then too. You could, as a scientist hold to Christian theology and 'should' only counter with certain kinds of Christians (YEC etc.). Your objection doesn't eschew Christianity or God iow. Philosophy is largely beyond the material plain. I believe there are more Christians, percentage-wise, than there have ever been. There certainly are more Christians by numbers than there have ever been. Your numbers are a bit associated with navel-gazing. This is confusing creation with his Maker. Huge difference. Wrong. Fact. I would have been a great survival of the fittest guy before Christianity. I'd have made it to the top on the backs of those less fit without any hang-up whatsoever. I was born for it. God pulled me away from it. You are quite mistaken. You'd have been nothing more than a cog. A lesser ape for me to step on. I've no idea where you guys get your ideas, but I'm very different than I would have been. Stars? Wouldn't have made me better. I'm a different person. I care about you, in fact, and NOW wouldn't dream of such things. Something HAD to remove me from the chain of that 'survival of the fittest' selfish cycle. I too have homosexual friends. I've seen the harm. You'd hate God if He said "Don't smoke!"? I know a lot of smokers too. Human ones do. It is a question of you catering to God, or a god catering to you. Every religion is one or the others. Again, your theology is in need of redress. If God dictates, no adjustment. It is true. If just from men? It already comes with man's interpretations and whims. Did you say that to your wife when you asked her to marry you, that you couldn't take her pledge on good faith? Why? Sincerity and 'best interests' are important, no? Hitchens is a poisonous unthinking man. He emotes. Granted he is articulate, but it is all emoting. Try again with just 'big bang caused' or "God caused." Something happened, and as a result (caused) thus and so....Killing is not the end, unless you are completely materialistic, but even then, matter and energy cannot be destroyed, it just goes on. You'd have to think philosophically to follow into theology. Theologically, it is not the end, but being sent to your room. It is an expression of family already. If the idea is foreign or oppressive, one would want to know what contexts are the same and different (I probably need to unpack this further) If your theology is from Hitchens and Dawkins and Hawking, then you are getting amateur theology and embracing it. None of these guys are theologians. They aren't even American. Knowledge is different than scientific speculation and theory. One is an absolute. The other dare not be. No Christian stifles scientific inquiry. That's a strawman. "Multiply and subdue the earth" is a good science command. He didn't say anything for this redirected ire....unless you've been reading a lot of Hitchens, Dawkins or Hawking. Then it'd make sense, but YOU'D simply be a British dupe without critical thinking skills... One. How many ways are there to consume food? Have children? Marry a wife? A lot of things come to us without variety or choice: Nothing in and of itself unloving or unkind about that at all. I've often correct spoiled brats whose sense of right and wrong needed adjusting. I'm not sure where your conscience is at, but simply being an adult doesn't mean we've gotten it entirely right. I'd assume, however, you do know when you do something wrong and I'd suspect it doesn't agree with you.
Thank you for adding your opinion to our discussion.

Stuart

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I still can't tell if you know what evidence is.
When you figure it out, let us know. :up:

It is well-deserved, isn't it, for all the painstaking work done over the past century in particular, to work out what has really happened in natural history on this planet, and almost certainly in the natural histories of any other planets with life.
Nope.

It's science; you don't deserve anything. It's a theory; you're supposed to look for ways to falsify it, not celebrate "victories," which do not happen.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Stuu

It's science; you don't deserve anything. It's a theory; you're supposed to look for ways to falsify it, not celebrate "victories," which do not happen.
Well real science has had nothing but disproofs to hand out when it comes to creationist ideas.

Stuart

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well real science has had nothing but disproofs to hand out when it comes to creationist ideas.

Stuart
We'll take that as a tacit admission your celebratory ways were in error.

Meanwhile, evidence. Did you find it yet?

6days

Stuu said:

Stuu... Science has disproved almost every idea that evolutionists once had. Common ancestry is a non falsifiable belief system, false beliefs are just replaced with more false beliefs.

Are you interested in discussing evolutionist / creationist ideas disproved by science?

Stuu

We'll take that as a tacit admission your celebratory ways were in error.
Real science has had nothing but disproofs to hand out when it comes to creationist ideas.

Not really tacit, is it.

To stay within the thread title for a minute the earth is 4.54 billion years old. The discovery of Radioactivity in the early 20th Century caused a leap from cooling measurement estimates of 20 million years upwards to estimates of at least 1.6 billion years. So the 'young earth' aspect of Young Earth Creationism was disproved about 90 years ago. Of course the radioisotope dating methods of the time still needed a lot of refining, but the results weren't going to be wrong by six orders of magnitude: the refined isochron methods, with correlations between samples from earth and space give an age of the earth within the same order of magnitude as Arthur Holmes' original work 90 years ago.

Cause for more victorious celebration I think. Don't drink the whole bottle over this one though, because there are many more real science victories over creationism to raise glasses to.

Stuart

Jose Fly

Jose Fly sez: "I've already noted that under some circumstances, such as significant reductions in a population, reduced genetic diversity can lead to decreased fitness."

Why has it been so difficult for you to agree to that?
Let's take a look, shall we?

Yesterday, post #599: "I've already noted that under some circumstances, such as significant reductions in a population, reduced genetic diversity can lead to decreased fitness."

Not only is that the exact same phrase, it was preceded by a plea for you to "pay attention". Obviously you didn't.

Yesterday, post #610: "I've already noted that under some circumstances, such as significant reductions in a population, reduced genetic diversity can lead to decreased fitness."

Again, same exact phrase and also preceded by a plea for you to "pay attention". You obviously didn't.

You know 6days, most of the time I feel like even though I don't agree with you, I at least understand where you're coming from. Like a lot of people I've known throughout my life, you see the world around you through the lens of scripture. Because you believe the Bible to be the revealed Word of God, it informs most (if not all) of how you see things. And like I said, while I don't agree with that mindset, I feel I at least understand it.

But this latest behavior from you is baffling. As demonstrated above, I've been repeating the exact same thing to you and even putting additional emphasis on it by leading off with "pay attention". Yet here you are, acting like my last post was the first time I'd said it and somehow that makes you victorious or something.

It's just weird....very weird. It makes no sense to me at all. The only thing I can figure is that you have a reading comprehension and/or memory issue.

Previously you stated "they have lost fitness. The evolved population that has resistance is less diverse than the original population, but it is also more fit.". Perhaps you meant to say 'SOMETIMES more fit'?
No, the evolved resistant population is always more fit in the environment that has the antibiotic.

Why is this so difficult for you? It's BIO 101 stuff.

And... you are agreeing with what I originally said "they have usually lost fitness. When the resistant bacteria are removed from the antibiotics, they have less fitness than the parent population.
And here we go in circles again.

Wednesday post #573: ""A population's fitness is relative to the environment in which it exists. That's biology 101."

I even gave you a link to help you understand. You obviously didn't bother.

I never claimed to have read this particular article... Just the abstract
Then I suggest you read the full article. It's publicly available.

which discusses something we are now agreeing on... "It is well established that a decrease in genetic variation can lead to reduced fitness and lack of adaptability to a changing environment."
As you'll see (maybe) if you read the full article, they are specifically speaking to circumstances where populations are reduced to very low numbers. Of course that brings up a host of questions about your beliefs about the post-flood world, but given the above weirdness from you, I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

Lon

Christianity has been around for 2,000 of the 185,000 year history of humanity. That's about 1% of human history. Easy come, easy go. No need to annihilate anything, just let it die the death it is currently enjoying. Brains seem primed to see gods, as we have discussed, so no doubt some new delusion will arise to scratch that irrational itch.
:chuckle: You crack me up. Brits have this demeanor like false bravado. It just isn't rational or reasonable by turn-about. You guys are obsessed with this irrational hope.
Aren't you special. And drunk as well?
No. Just can see. Jesus was right: "For him who has ears..." You obviously don't have them and don't want them. Look, this matches perfectly with Christian expectation: Those affected by the Fall have autonomy belief of self. Me? I don't like the parts in me I can't control. Being selfish bothers me. You can at LEAST acquiesce some of this. After that we can talk about Herods. The problem with ad hoc theology is it has no idea about how things were written and recorded. It is VERY much a western mindset trying to force an Eastern mindset and is just this poor, scholastically. So no, THEY are drunk if any. Not me. Again, this IS my area of study. Sorry about that. You are being steered wrong by amateurs and sadly it seems, happily so. You get no points for inept accusation. Sorry again.
Students need to understand that science is not a democracy. There are such things as wrong answers. Creationism is a wrong answer. By all means have an engaging curriculum and philosophy of teaching, but letting students decide what the outcomes of hundreds of years of work in areas which can raise very counter-intuitive ideas would be a form of abandonment. Science involves consensus and argument, and sometimes one regime dying and another, better one taking over. It is full of coups and counter-coups. The majority vote is irrelevant. The consensus is about empirical evidence and nothing else. None of that has to involve brain-washing, it can be done by proper modern teaching practice with student engagement and autonomy, surely.
Incorrect. Science IS democratic. You CAN play by yourself, but all science is shared. You are wrong again.
About 4% of professional scientists hold the kind of views you are describing, with less than 1% in the case of biologists. they are not completely able to 'compete', whatever that means, because it is very rare to find a scientist with YEC views working in a field where those views have any bearing on the scientist's research.
:chuckle: "Not able...whatever that means...." This looks like desperate commentary Stuu. Good news? To me, you look like a perfect Christopher Hitchens student. He is this bad too. Try to think for yourself.

Young earth creationism does not challenge any view of science currently. Not one. and that is because young earth creationism has been disproved in its entirety long ago. The more 'sophisticated' breeds of creationism, such as Intelligent Design, have been disproved more recently.
There you go! It is JUST as I said. Nothing for you to be overtly concerned about. YEC at 4% next to you and everything. The only thing that bothers you is that Christianity embraces critical thinking skills when it dares asks or challenges a science idea? :think: It goes back to the democracy thing. I assert science is a democracy. It doesn't have to be in your building, but you cannot thought police anybody. Even a despotic government cannot control thoughts. You seem to want to do that. There is no such thing as cookie-cuttering the mind.

And what is wrong with 'brontosaurus', exactly?
Here (bronto never existed)vs here (we were wrong, bronto existed). If science weren't a democracy, pushing what isn't true, I couldn't trust them/wouldn't trust them. Since I don't see them as prognosticators of absolute truth? No problem. Most of them don't see themselves that way either, just the self-appointed spokesmen who really are politically driven beyond science concerns.

Sure, that has happened at lot in history. By 1862 the calculated age of the earth had reached a minimum of 20 million years old based on cooling from a molten planet, although one estimate based on the contraction of the sun, the assumed source of its energy output, gave 18 million years old. Of course both processes are greatly slowed by nuclear reactions, unknown at the time.
Love that word 'estimate.'

Can't see a good reason to believe in your god there. Just more boasting.

Stuart
Wow. I wouldn't have believed atheism was delusion rather than thoughtful for you (kidding, I always suspected your aversion was your reason for a mislabel. It isn't atheism, it is "don't care, don't want" which is different from atheism - a lot like Christopher Hitchens though). On that note:
Thank you for adding your opinion to our discussion.

Stuart
I found a few statements there that were needed in our conversation as well. I am that theologian that can speak meaningfully to those queries and concerns. My pleasure :e4e:

jsanford108

Thank you for pointing out my supposed hypocrisy. Since you have disconnected the original post from your reply, it is more effort that I can be bothered to invest to investigate it any further. Even typing this has taken more of my precious one life than I should have devoted.

You sound anxious.

Stuart
You must have had a poor device for viewing my errors/fallacies post, as both the app, and the webpage have the post of yours which I utilized quoted directly, right above my list of errors. I would suggest trying a different method for viewing the forum, perhaps.

And I am not anxious. Have not been the entire conversation. Plus, how could I "sound" anxious, when we are not communicating verbally? (Rhetorical) Perhaps this is more projection.

Reactions: Lon

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Real science has had nothing but disproofs to hand out when it comes to creationist ideas.

Not really tacit, is it.

To stay within the thread title for a minute the earth is 4.54 billion years old. The discovery of Radioactivity in the early 20th Century caused a leap from cooling measurement estimates of 20 million years upwards to estimates of at least 1.6 billion years. So the 'young earth' aspect of Young Earth Creationism was disproved about 90 years ago. Of course the radioisotope dating methods of the time still needed a lot of refining, but the results weren't going to be wrong by six orders of magnitude: the refined isochron methods, with correlations between samples from earth and space give an age of the earth within the same order of magnitude as Arthur Holmes' original work 90 years ago.

Cause for more victorious celebration I think. Don't drink the whole bottle over this one though, because there are many more real science victories over creationism to raise glasses to.

Stuart
:yawn:

jsanford108

You have not justified the necessity of a cause. You have just asserted it.
This seems like you are trying to alter vocabulary, in order to maintain your position.

One can readily observe from my post (562) that while I merely "asserted" cause, due to the example I provided, cause is necessary for such phenomena to occur. It can easily be argued that cause is necessary, since any event cannot occur without it.

If you have an example of any event that occurs completely without cause, please provide it. I would suggest explaining how the event is independent of cause, from a biological, chemical, and physical standpoint.

Time is a component incorporated into each of the three dimensions of space, to give a continuous four-dimensional 'space-time'. Please see my earlier comments for the unambiguous evidence for the Big Bang. As modelled mathematically, the inflation of space-time generates gravitational energy (the force of gravity is actually a distortion of space-time; mass distorts space-time, and distorted space-time produces matter with an energy equivalence to the inflation of space-time). Regarding my capacity for a personal theology of Big Bang, while I might have the occasional good day, I am in no way capable of the insights and creative mathematical modelling that Einstein was able to produce, and I don't count a brilliantly successful theory in the same category as the wishful thinking of theology.
None of this contradicts, nor answers my points made. I will allow you to skip answering how time, a metaphysical component of life, was created, because I know that is beyond your ability, or any atheist/anti-theist's ability to answer.

Allow me to restate: what evidence do you have that "nothing" existed before the Big Bang? (Note that I agree with this particular claim) By your own wording, a claim of extraordinary requires unambiguous evidence. Thus, to even make such a claim, you, by your own reasoning, must have evidence of this. Again, what evidence do you submit that "nothing" existed before the Big Bang?

How did what condition come about, exactly? How did DNA become a molecule? How did DNA become the replicating molecule of all life, thus establishing the common ancestry of all living things on the planet?

Molecules do not have 'innate drive to survival'. Natural selection provides a test of fitness. Animals display behaviours that indicate motivation to survive, and behaviours are related to brains made of proteins coded in DNA.
Notice the contradiction within your own point? Here, I will italicize/bold it for you: "Molecules do not have 'innate drive to survival'. Natural selection provides a test of fitness. Animals display behaviours that indicate motivation to survive, and behaviours are related to brains made of proteins coded in DNA."

You are simply avoiding using the same terminology. An innate drive is clearly indicative of "motivation," expressed as "behaviour." Again, what caused, I will use your words, animals to display behaviours indicating motivation to survive?

It looks to me like you are inventing something you call 'the supernatural' as a convenience to your comfort. I already find attempts at comprehending 'the natural' are not a matter of what is comfortable, so it will not be me rejecting that which is difficult. But you have still not established that the model called 'the supernatural' refers to anything real or relevant.
You are simply dismissing evidence, in this case existing definitions, in order to substantiate your claim.

We would both agree that the supernatural cannot be proven via natural evidence. We both agree that "the natural" is. Meaning, that the natural exists in reality and is fact, beyond being disproved.

Science attempts to explain the natural by various theories, laws, and tested hypothesis. Even if the tests fail, the natural event which the tests were directed toward, exist. Earth exists. The science community can run tests, hypothesize, create theories and laws for centuries; if every single one failed, that still does not negate the earth as existing.

Supernatural, by definition, exists beyond the natural. Therefore, science, which is limited to testing of natural phenomenon, cannot test something (the supernatural) that exists beyond its limits. This is why the supernatural cannot be proven nor disproved. You can claim it is all imagination conjured up for comfort; yet you cannot prove that. This makes your claim an extraordinary claim lacking any evidence.

It is quite niche, so niche that I'd struggle to count how many people take two-way differences in the speed of light as a serious proposition.
So, we agree that light travels at a uniform rate. As I said, I did not even know that was a suggested argument.

On to the real debate:

Yes. There are many here who claim they have unambiguous evidence for their god claims. But no one has ever given unambiguous evidence for their claims. So I cite the fact of the complete lack of any unambiguous evidence for any god claim ever, that such claims are in fact hot air, and thus god claims are invalid. You can try for 'lack of evidence isn't evidence of lack' if you like, but lack of promised evidence is evidence that god believers can't support their claims as promised.
Let us focus on your claims, as I am not concerned with the claims of others who have no bearing or input within our dialogue.

Your citation is simply a lack of evidence for others' claims? This is illogical. As stated in a previous post by myself, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. You can dismiss it all you like, but that fallacy still applies to you. Unless you can cite evidence, unambiguous evidence, that the Christian God does not exist, then you, by your own logic, have a claim that can be dismissed.

Mathematics, logic and thought are the products of a brain that works in a particular way. Mathematics is a modelling system and so is logic. They are tools invented by humans.
None of this is evidence of existence of mathematics, logic, or thought. You are arguing they exist without evidence.

We both agree logic exists. As do math and thought. Yet, neither one is evidenced by physical means (ie: natural in essence). These are abstract ideas, only alluded to by figurative representation. The same can be applied to the Christian deity.

I will not reference two points I made in the error post, along with your respective responses, in order to demonstrate a final point:

JSAN: So, can we both agree to maintain integral arguments? Thus far, you seem to be making absolute claims, using falsehoods as support. I would argue that is a lack of integrity.

STU: No, I am just dismissing your god claim as a delusion, on the basis that there is no unambiguous evidence for any. And there is no other kind of reason to believe you are right, and there are many reasons to believe you are deluded.
This is demonstrating that very lack of integrity. To classify someone as delusional, meaning to have a psychological deficiency, is rude at best, and evident of an arrogant, superiority-obsessed ego. I would not classify an atheist as "delusional," as I would understand that they are basing their views of theism on what they observe. The same for an agnostic. The same for most theists (exceptions always exist). However, for the anti-theist, what generally occurs is a preference of ignorance to any arguments or claims that are detrimental to their personal bias and leanings. Yet, even with this clear illogical attribute, I would not call them "delusional."

Now, you can dismiss all this, as I am sure you will, as trite musings of a theist. And that is fine, as it is your right. But, that does not make you correct in your analysis, nor conclusion. Once again, utilizing your own argumentative logic, unless you can provide evidence for this claim of delusion, then you can be dismissed as false.

JSAN: Also, burden of proof lies with both parties.

STU: In a criminal case, there is no burden of proof on the defence. In this case you are prosecuting the case for the existence of a god, and I cannot prove the non-existence, so you have the burden of proof exclusively.
This is false on two accounts. First, in criminal cases, the defense does have a burden of proof. We can claim that "innocent until proven guilty" is true, however, if a person is found with a bloody knife, next to the victim, with a motive, we would surely agree that the burden lies on the defendant to prove their innocence.

In criminal cases, burden lies with both parties to prove their respective side and story. Using the example of a criminal case is also akin to special pleading. Interesting how it is only a fallacy when utilized by your opposition, but perfectly acceptable when you use it.

As argued before, one can prove non-existence. I can prove unicorns do not exist as a reality outside of artistic culture. I can prove Bertrand Russell's Teapot does not exist, using a logical process of elimination. You are simply shifting burden of proof, because you cannot provide evidence for your extraordinary claim.

As a closing note, any argument that cannot stand upon the very criticisms and scrutiny that it levels against opposition, fails. Such an argument is illogical, for it cannot withstand mirrored scrutiny. Your claim, if it
relies on that argument, cannot stand upon its own criticism and scrutiny.

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stripe is feeling tired from all the celebrations of the victories of real science over creationism.

You may sleep soundly now, Stripe. Have pleasant dreams of Big Bangs and beautiful isochron graphs.

Stuart
Yep. Wake us up when you're ready to engage sensibly.

Stuu

cause is necessary for such phenomena to occur. It can easily be argued that cause is necessary, since any event cannot occur without it.
Because you say so? You are still asserting that causes must be associated with every event.
If you have an example of any event that occurs completely without cause, please provide it. I would suggest explaining how the event is independent of cause, from a biological, chemical, and physical standpoint.
The problem with your request is that you are begging the question of causes. How can I possibly give an example and demonstrate that it is independent of causes without having to repeat that demonstration for every possible phenomenon in the universe that could bear the accusation of being the 'actual cause'?
Let's go with nuclear decay. A uranium-238 atom will undergo alpha decay. The half life of uranium-238 is 4.5 billion years, so exactly half of the uranium-238 atoms that were present in the earth at the time of its formation have since changed into thorium-234 (which itself decays much faster into other elements). Half the U-238 atoms have decayed, and half haven't. Has this been caused, or not? Nuclear decay is random. You cannot predict which of the earth's U-238 atoms will decay this year, the process is entirely independent of any 'causes' you may wish to impose (except bombarding the nucleus intentionally, and then you would have a direct 'cause').

You might argue that the 'cause' of the decay of a U-238 that happened in the last hour was the original situation set up by a supernova when its pressure wave forced other atoms together to produce a U-238 nucleus that was unstable enough to be likely to fall to pieces in the future. But this same 'cause' has not had any 'effect' to date on half of the U-238 atoms that the earth began with. So, the atom we are watching right now, if it decays while we are watching it (a coincidence with an inconceivably small probability) then what caused it to decay then, as opposed to some other time in the next ten billion years? To claim there was a 'cause' that produced the 'effect' of an atom decaying while we were watching, is meaningless.

Then, you could trace back the 'cause' of the supernova that made the uranium atom, and ask what caused that, and come up with gravity as the 'cause' of matter coming together and igniting nuclear fission to make a star, and then you could ask what 'caused' the hydrogen to appear in the first place, and the 'cause' was the borrowing of gravitational energy from inflation of space-time that was converted into spontaneously accreting subatomic particles, and you could then ask the 'cause' of space-time inflation, and at that point it becomes critical to understand what you mean by the word 'cause', because if you have any suggestion of a temporal relationship like causes preceed effects, then you can no longer ask what 'cause' something has, because time does not exist in that case.

So tell me, do you think a cause is something that could come after an effect? And can you see in all my example above, you could easily call everything an effect, that results from a previous effect, that originates in something where the word 'cause' has no meaning, thereby demonstrating that there is no good use of the word 'cause'? Let me hasten to add that I do think 'causal relationships' are useful in science, but that assumes the use of the word cause for something that could equally be called an 'earlier effect'.
None of this contradicts, nor answers my points made. I will allow you to skip answering how time, a metaphysical component of life, was created, because I know that is beyond your ability, or any atheist/anti-theist's ability to answer.
Are you trying to assert that there is some other kind of 'time', that isn't related to the time component of space-time? Clock time? Why are you begging the question of the creation of this thing? I don't think you have established it is real yet.
Allow me to restate: what evidence do you have that "nothing" existed before the Big Bang? (Note that I agree with this particular claim) By your own wording, a claim of extraordinary requires unambiguous evidence. Thus, to even make such a claim, you, by your own reasoning, must have evidence of this. Again, what evidence do you submit that "nothing" existed before the Big Bang?
I think I have been pretty clear that there is no such thing as 'before' the Big Bang, so how would I be able to provide evidence relating to that? Once again, it is not possible to prove a negative. Given that inflation was from a singularity (a point that is tending to zero in space-time dimensions) I would think it is reasonable to say that singularity contains nothing. Do you have a particular objection to that?
Notice the contradiction within your own point? Here, I will italicize/bold it for you: "Molecules do not have 'innate drive to survival'. Natural selection provides a test of fitness. Animals display behaviours that indicate motivation to survive, and behaviours are related to brains made of proteins coded in DNA." You are simply avoiding using the same terminology. An innate drive is clearly indicative of "motivation," expressed as "behaviour." Again, what caused, I will use your words, animals to display behaviours indicating motivation to survive?
I don't see any contradiction. Molecules do not contain any innate survival instincts. Animals do. What are you trying to say?
You are simply dismissing evidence, in this case existing definitions, in order to substantiate your claim.
Trolls (in the traditional storybook sense) live under bridges, right? Everyone knows that. It's a well known property of a troll, almost to the point where it defines troll. Are you saying this common knowledge is evidence that trolls are real?
We would both agree that the supernatural cannot be proven via natural evidence.
No. I don't know what you mean by the 'supernatural. You are inventing something. What is it?
We both agree that "the natural" is. Meaning, that the natural exists in reality and is fact, beyond being disproved.
I can't agree to that, either. Having said that, I don't know what alternative to suggest. I think you are trying to use definitions to conjure up something, when that isn't necessary to investigating the universe by whatever means will give reliable answers.
Science attempts to explain the natural by various theories, laws, and tested hypothesis. Even if the tests fail, the natural event which the tests were directed toward, exist. Earth exists. The science community can run tests, hypothesize, create theories and laws for centuries; if every single one failed, that still does not negate the earth as existing.
That's why existence itself has to be an assumption, one that isn't strictly testable. That's not to say you can't make conclusions about the existence of particular things. But it all relies on assuming that existence is a 'real' property.
Supernatural, by definition, exists beyond the natural. Therefore, science, which is limited to testing of natural phenomenon, cannot test something (the supernatural) that exists beyond its limits. This is why the supernatural cannot be proven nor disproved. You can claim it is all imagination conjured up for comfort; yet you cannot prove that. This makes your claim an extraordinary claim lacking any evidence.
You have the burden of proof. All you have given me is a definition. I gave you a definition of a troll (storybook kind) earlier. Definitions do not establish existence. Trolls are the product of an author's imagination, for the comfort of expressing creativity, and for getting royalties cheques that pay for comfortable chairs and food at home. Given the complete lack of unambiguous evidence of any kind for 'the supernatural', it's reasonable to conclude that it is a product of an imagination that desired whatever comforts it brings.
Your citation is simply a lack of evidence for others' claims? This is illogical. As stated in a previous post by myself, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I said you would :).
You can dismiss it all you like, but that fallacy still applies to you. Unless you can cite evidence, unambiguous evidence, that the Christian God does not exist, then you, by your own logic, have a claim that can be dismissed.
Haven't I already given you an example of how it is not possible to prove a negative? This is well-covered by Carl Sagan in The Demon-Haunted World. My friend has a dragon in his garage. I ask to see the dragon, but he tells me that it is invisible. So I suggest we could put down some flour on the garage flood, and observe the dragon's footprints, but he says that this dragon hovers, it doesn't touch the floor. Then I ask whether this dragon breathes fire, and my friend says yes indeed it does. So I suggest we use a thermal imaging camera to see the fire, but my friend says that the fire it produces isn't hot.

And it is exactly the same in the Judeo-christian scriptures. The properties of its god are described in contradictory terms, and its followers describe it in exactly the same way as the friend with the garage dragon. Whatever suggestion is made for a method for investigation of the god, somehow that turns out to be impossible because of some asserted property of the god. According to the bible, it is a god that cannot be seen, but has been seen by several people. It cannot be heard, but has been heard by several people. It is similar to humans because we are 'made in its image', and it is very different from humans in almost every respect. So it is a bit cute for a god believer to accuse skeptics of having no disproof, when the properties of the god that could be used to determine positively the existence of such a thing cannot actually be defined. By the definitions given in your book of talking snakes, your god is a logical impossibility.
We both agree logic exists. As do math and thought. Yet, neither one is evidenced by physical means (ie: natural in essence). These are abstract ideas, only alluded to by figurative representation. The same can be applied to the Christian deity.
So your deity is an abstract idea. I agree.
This is demonstrating that very lack of integrity. To classify someone as delusional, meaning to have a psychological deficiency, is rude at best,
Politics and religion are two topics best avoided in polite company. I haven't read a good argument from a believer here why god belief shouldn't be considered a mental illness. Maybe its ubiquity makes it a part of the normal distribution, but it has to be the product of a brain where the 'people never walk again after execution' bit of the brain is constantly arguing with the 'Jesus walked again' part of the brain. The meme thrives on such cognitive dissonance. Is there a cure for this illness, or rather disease in the sense of dis-ease?
and evident of an arrogant, superiority-obsessed ego. I would not classify an atheist as "delusional," as I would understand that they are basing their views of theism on what they observe. The same for an agnostic. The same for most theists (exceptions always exist). However, for the anti-theist, what generally occurs is a preference of ignorance to any arguments or claims that are detrimental to their personal bias and leanings. Yet, even with this clear illogical attribute, I would not call them "delusional."
Well, I would call that both noble and accurate.
Now, you can dismiss all this, as I am sure you will, as trite musings of a theist. And that is fine, as it is your right.
There is some petty schadenfreude to be had in watching god believers tie themselves in knots with 'problems' that only exist because they commit themselves to belief in an invented perfect creator. The dilemmas of omnipotence, and the problem of evil are the first two amusement arcade activities for non-believers that spring to mind. While that might sound small-minded, don't forget the theist version of this, like Tertullian salivating at the prospect being able to contemplate for all eternity the suffering of the condemned.
But, that does not make you correct in your analysis, nor conclusion. Once again, utilizing your own argumentative logic, unless you can provide evidence for this claim of delusion, then you can be dismissed as false.
Prima facie, gods don't exist, so prima facie it is a delusion. If the initial appearance of things is deceptive, then it is an example of the burden of proof. Science has always accepted that counterintuitive theories need to be well-characterised beyond bald claims.
This is false on two accounts. First, in criminal cases, the defense does have a burden of proof. We can claim that "innocent until proven guilty" is true, however, if a person is found with a bloody knife, next to the victim, with a motive, we would surely agree that the burden lies on the defendant to prove their innocence.
No, you would be completely wrong about that in law. It is still up to the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the bloody knife was not planted, and the alleged motive stands up to scrutiny. The defence does not have to prove anything. Of course it is in the interests of the defence that they might have a very good case for an alternative hypothesis for the crime, but in the end it is entirely up to the jury or judge to decide if a case is proved in the affirmative. You can't prove a negative in itself, the burden rests in with the positive claimants.
As argued before, one can prove non-existence. I can prove unicorns do not exist as a reality outside of artistic culture. I can prove Bertrand Russell's Teapot does not exist, using a logical process of elimination. You are simply shifting burden of proof, because you cannot provide evidence for your extraordinary claim.
It looks like you haven't thought this through very well.

Stuart

Stuu

You crack me up. Brits have this demeanor like false bravado. It just isn't rational or reasonable by turn-about. You guys are obsessed with this irrational hope.
I lived in the United Kingdom for a while and I think self-deprecation is more characteristic of the British than false bravado. Do you have an objection to any of the facts I raise, or the conclusions I drew, or the predictions I made based on those facts?
Jesus was right: "For him who has ears..." You obviously don't have them and don't want them.
One can't spend all day gaining a comprehensive knowledge of all crackpot claims. There has to be a limit to the amount of pseudoscience and nonsense you try to familiarise yourself with. I have a certain amount of ear capacity, but it is not infinite.
Incorrect. Science IS democratic. You CAN play by yourself, but all science is shared. You are wrong again.
Scientific theories are not decided by one scientist one vote.
There you go! It is JUST as I said. Nothing for you to be overtly concerned about. YEC at 4% next to you and everything. The only thing that bothers you is that Christianity embraces critical thinking skills when it dares asks or challenges a science idea?
Christianity, critical thinking skills?? You are drunk.

Be critical about men walking again after execution. Or will you agree that the executed don't walk again, but you would like to specially plead for one exception to that? Critical thinking my rear end.
It goes back to the democracy thing. I assert science is a democracy. It doesn't have to be in your building, but you cannot thought police anybody. Even a despotic government cannot control thoughts. You seem to want to do that. There is no such thing as cookie-cuttering the mind.
You have no clue about how science actually works, do you.
Here (bronto never existed)vs here (we were wrong, bronto existed). If science weren't a democracy, pushing what isn't true, I couldn't trust them/wouldn't trust them. Since I don't see them as prognosticators of absolute truth? No problem. Most of them don't see themselves that way either, just the self-appointed spokesmen who really are politically driven beyond science concerns.
So there was nothing wrong with brontosaurus, then.

Only in your mind are there concerns 'beyond science'.
Love that word 'estimate.'
Everything is an estimate. Look for the error analysis, that tells you how good the estimate is. Bishop Ussher's chronology of the genealogies, leading to his guess of the creation of the earth at 4004BCE is an estimate, and he did not put any uncertainties on it. I welcome your criticism of that in your mocking of the word estimate.

Stuart

Stuu

You must have had a poor device for viewing my errors/fallacies post, as both the app, and the webpage have the post of yours which I utilized quoted directly, right above my list of errors. I would suggest trying a different method for viewing the forum, perhaps.
Thank you for your recommendations. I am clearly not as adept at the use of technology as the young, savvy christian youth.

And I am not anxious. Have not been the entire conversation. Plus, how could I "sound" anxious, when we are not communicating verbally? (Rhetorical) Perhaps this is more projection.
Metaphor more than rhetoric.

Stuart